RegisterDonateLogin

The Force is with Bloo Milk, but it is not a Jedi yet.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Veterans of War, Vassal League Release! Options
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 6:52:58 AM
Groups: Member

Today (Monday, January the 5th!) is the big day! Today we release our latest set Veterans of War! Veterans of War is a 20 piece micro set, that works hand in hand with our set Legends and the V-Set Allstars. Just like with our set Legends we will be hosting a Vassal Release Event. With Legends we did a standard tournament for the release and gave away some pretty awesome prizes including 100 dollars cash to the top player. This time around we wanted to shake things up, we will be doing a Vassal League, with the Veterans of War release!

The champion of the Vassal League will receive $300.00, 2nd place will receive $100.00, 3rd place will receive $50.00, and 4th place will receive $25.00 cash. Plus Pego will be donating Star Wars Miniatures prizes for the event.

Contestants who sign up will be given a schedule. For instance lets say you are given a schedule with 5 opponents. You will be given a month to get your games in. It is up to you to get the games in. If you can coordinate with your opponents and get all 5 of your games in, in one day, you can absolutely do that. If you do it in a week, that's great too. Perhaps you have a limited schedule and can only play certain days. That's fine, you have a month to get all 5 of your games in.

This Vassal League will be spread out over 3 separate releases. Veterans of War is the first leg of the release, there will be 2 more 20 piece sets that will be a part of the League. The top 4 players (of the entire league) will square off in a playoff at the end of the League. Think of the 3 releases like an NFL season. You play through the season, and then a playoff at the end.

Overall we will be giving away $500.00 Cash for this league. There is NO SIGN UP FEE! Just sign up, and play for cash. For those of you who are skeptics, I invite you to give what we are doing a fair shot.

Games will be 200 points, time length will be 1 hour 20 minutes. We will do standard scoring with 3-2 scoring. Players can change their squad from game to game. We will also be giving a $25.00 prize away to the player who uses the most pieces from Legends, Veterans of War (and the other 2 sets which will be a part of the league). Giving everyone a little incentive to try out some of the new pieces.

Players can sign up any time between now and Sunday, January 18th at 11:59pm.

I will send out schedules to everyone on the 19th. Everyone will have until February 16th at 11:59pm to get their games in.

After the Veterans of War leg of this League is over, we will release the next 20 piece set, and I will allow for more people to sign up, and get in on the league, after which I will send out the next schedule to all of the participants.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for the Vassal League

1. Small figures do NOT provide cover.
2. Character's CAN move through opponents Mouse Droids.
3. The following abilities have been abolished: Overwhelming Power, Overwhelming Force, Brutal Strike, Suppressive Fire, Ysalamiri
4. We have also banned the following characters: Mas Amedda, Ozzel, Dodonna, San Hill, Gha Nachkt
5. The only legal Vset pieces (pieces made by Gamers community) that are legal are the ones that were voted on by our playgroup to be a part of VSET All-Stars.
6. Gambit in a 200pt game is worth 10, and must be collected by a 10pt piece.
7. Soresu Mastery has been changed back to: Soresu Style Mastery only affects non-melee attacks.
8. A Non Melee Character, with the Lightsaber Special Ability (Like Mara Jade, Jedi) is considered to be making Melee attacks when declaring attacks against an adjacent character.
9. All commander effects have a range of 6. Even if they are printed as not having one.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

-------------------LEGENDS------------------
http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/Set/1444/legends

The designers that worked on this set
1. theultrastar
2. Deaths_Baine
3. shmi15
4. jen'ari
5. pegolego
6. dieandbemetal

----------------Veterans of War------------------
http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/Set/1452/veterans-of-war

--------------VoW Vassal Extension----------------
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gekhrb3qqr22xbb/VoW.mdx?dl=0

The designers that worked on this set
1. theultrastar
2. Deaths_Baine
3. shmi15
4. jen'ari
5. spryguy1981
6. dartho

-VSet Allstars-

Old Republic
1. Master Thon
2. Carth Onasis
3. Ulic Qel Droma, Jedi Knight
4. Mical, The Disciple

Sith
1. Darth Talon, Sith Assassin
2. Darth Maladi
3. Alema Rar
4. Darth Caedus

Republic
1. Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist
2. Commander Fox
3. Quinlan Vos, Double Agent
4. Cin Drallig, Jedi Battlemaster

Seps
1. Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter
2. BX Commando Droid Sniper
3. Savage Oppress
4. General Grevious, Hero of Hypori

Rebels
1. General Lando Calrissian
2. Princess Leia, Rebel Commando
3. Biggs Darklighter, Rebel Pilot
4. SpecForce Technician

Imps
1. Roan Fel, True Emperor
2. Imperial Knight Strike Team Leader
3. Carnor Jax
4. Imperial Knight Master

New Republic
1. Chewbacca, Galactic Hero
2. Luke Skywalker, Galactic Hero
3. Corran Horn, Jedi Master
4. Wolf Sazen

Mandos
1. Kelborn
2. Mandalorian Demolitionist
3. Shae Vizla
4. Demagol

Fringe
1. Embo
2. Figrin D'an
3. HK-47 Assassin Droid
4. IG88A
5. Ponda Baba, Galactic Criminal
6. Black Sun Thug
7. Marn Hierogryph
8. Czerka Shield Technician

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Legal Maps 2015 Season
1. Peaceful City
2. Theed Palace
3. Anchorhead
4. Cantina
5. Jabba's Palace
6. Rancor Pen
7. Asteroid Base
8. Bothan Spynet
9. Commander's Office
10. Grand Plaza
11. Rhen Var Citadel
12. Throne Room
13. Smuggler's Base
14. Asteroid Mining Complex

__________________________________________________________________________________________

----------------SIGNED UP-------------------
1. theultrastar
2. jen'ari
3. obiwan1knight
4. spryguy1981
5. Mando
6. darthO
7. pegolego
8. Dr Daman
9. Minijedi
10. deaths_baine
11. shmi15
12. Dieandbemetal
13. DarthRattlehead
14. Amadeus
15. Justin Cook
16. SithBot
17. sharron
18. darth_nevar
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 8:14:19 AM

Count me in. Excited I get to play this time round, woot! woot!
obiwan1knight
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 8:30:27 AM

Yes! I was waiting for this. I wish I could have helped play test this set, but college stuff.... Anyway I'm much freer now so sign me up!
Amadeus
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 8:32:16 AM

Sounds fun! Like last time, I'm a maybe until I figure out my schedule
SignerJ
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 8:42:38 AM

I'm interested, but I should probably stay as a "maybe" until I can figure out how to update my VASSAL engine.
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 9:02:10 AM

I'm in!
Mando
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 10:30:22 AM

This was a lot of fun when i played last year, so sure count me in. It was interesting to play in a new format.

I do have a question though. not that I mind there being cash prizes and all that, but wow! $300! It kinda makes this tournament feel a bit like a high stakes poker game. I thought $100 was plenty last time, even to much imo, so that there is this much money being given as prize support without us paying an entry fee is....well...kinda suprising to say the least. I'd prefer the game not devolve to high stakes prize support like this. I realize that your trying to get support for the release in your own way, but honestly, you'd get the same people for just cool custom figures or pieces or heck even $25 for first place. BigGrin

It just makes me as a player, uncomfortable playing in a free tournament for big prize money for a set that is all based on volunteer time and isn't being sold. I'm probably in the minority in that opinion, but just thought I'd let ya all know what I think. I'm used to playing in heroclix tournaments where there is an entry fee, and you receive tangible benefits (such as packs and participation prizes) in addition to having fun playing in the tournament, regardless if you win or lose. I just see no reason that this much money has to be given out as prizes in this tournament for a free game that took a lot of volunteer time to help produce. But, again, I'm not one to dictate how this tournament is run. It's celebrating the release of a new set of customs that people worked hard to create, so I'm all for that. It was fun last year, and I hope we get as many people again as last time, although hopefully not for the monetary reasons only. I don't think we have people like that in this community, but I've seen some in other games I play and they are absolutely no fun to play against. We didn't have an issue with that last time, so I trust this will be fun times had by all again. We don't get much in the way of online Vassal tournaments, so any chance I get, I like to be a part of it.

I hope this whole post doesn't come as a knock against Ultrastar or this tournament. It's not. Everyone who helped in the making of this set is awesome! My thanks go to all of you, and thanks Ultrastar for orgainizing this! you da man! ThumpUp
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 10:58:55 AM

I meant to say in the initial post that I have the Veterans of War Vassal Extension. To those of you who want it for the tournament, send me a bloomail with you Email Addy included and I will send the File to you. I don't have any way of hosting the file for download so this is the only way I know to make the extension available for everyone.

@Mando no offense taken, my approach to tournaments is provide the best possible Prize Support. As far as the $300 dollars to the top player, that's my way of playing Vito Corleone to the people who were on the fence last time around, to all of the people who didn't want to give what we were doing a chance. I wanted to make them an offer they couldn't refuse. I don't care who you are. $300 dollars cash to play minis. No entrance fee. You don't have to travel anywhere. You have a schedule you can play on your own time. It's hard to turn your nose up at that.
Darth O
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 11:44:25 AM

Sign me up.
pegolego
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 11:59:09 AM

The pego-one would like to sign up!
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 2:04:40 PM

Can more than 10 people sign up?
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 2:17:06 PM

Yes of course, I just put 10 slots to begin with. I expect a lot more than 10 to sign up.
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 3:20:42 PM

To be clear Pego donated 100 dollars to this event, and Spry donated 3 Visa Giftcards of 100, 50, and 25 dollars, which will go to 2nd, 3rd and 4th place. I forgot to mention that in the initial post. Everyone involved wanted to make this a huge release event. A huge thank you to both Pego and Spry!
Minijedi
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 3:30:21 PM

Well i guess i better sign up before all the slots are taken up lol
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 3:34:47 PM

Haha good call!
scruffyhan
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 6:40:36 PM

Should I throw my name into the lot, or should I not? That is the question. On one hand it's 300 dollars which lets face it, would be as good as mine because I am just that good. On the other hand, I need a challenge present if this tournament or league is going to hold my interest. That being said, I will throw out a few names that I would like to play fingersandteeth, atmsalad, urbanjedi, or sthlrd2. If any of them sign up, deal me in.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 8:17:52 PM

ol' Scruff McGruff Han, defending champ.
I hope I get to compete with you and get on your competition relevant list. I love the Jabba the Hutt you designed and plan on using it in the tournament, possibly against you, in a twist of fate.

spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:27:15 AM

Well Scruff, see that's where you're wrong. You have never played me before, and therefore would have to beat me before I'd give you that 300.00 ;). I've beaten a lot of great players myself and gone on to be 2nd and GenCon and just out of First due to a one on a dice roll. See you talk about UrbanJedi, fingersandteeth, sthlrd2, atmsalad as people you want to play. All of them are great players for sure, but I have also beaten both UrbanJedi and fingersandteeth. I have lost to Urban and Sthlrd also. Never played atm, so why not sign up and play against someone who has beaten some of those players you so desperately want to play against. I'd love for all of them to play because then it will be even more of a blast. But you Scruff-McGruff need to get involved and defend your "crown"
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:33:44 AM

In the Legends Tournament, the top squads were the Sith with Caedus and/or Sidious, Seps ran well with Cad, Durge, Aurra, Hondo or the Sid/Maul combo, and the all fringe Hired Gun build was also quite successful. What does everyone think will see a lot of play and do well this time around? I think the Republic Council Members are going to make a splash. While some of these builds may not go anywhere this time around (though they may look different), I also think Jabba BH's are going to see some play. Krayt Sith squads could factor well, also. and Rebel Heroes look good!

Based on what you've seen, what does everyone else think?
Minijedi
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:38:11 AM

Ive built a few squads for this league, ran "Jabbas Hired Guns" very good squad, needs good positioning tho... i ran "KotOR" against Ultra last night and beat him with it... but the squad relied heavily on T3s damage output lol... ive also got a few imp squads id like to test and and old school WotC (plus 1 all star) squad id like to throw into the mix

Overall, im not claiming to be a great player, or a tournament "Veteran of War", But im very interested in being able to play this league, and show some of you older players that us "New Guys" arent to be trifled with