Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 12:25:21 PM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:
jak wrote:
don't like 2 saves, increases game time.ThumbDown
don't want to neuter it to much.

I like a higher save.
or save 11 for 10

For the same reason, I'd vote for no save at all. Either 10 damage instead of 20 (it is irreducible after all), or reduced range to 2. I'd say range 4, but if it's 2 it can be increased to 4 with a CE.

I do like this solution. +1

FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 12:47:13 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

For the record, I don't even know if it's a problem. I played a couple times with them and I don't think I ever saw the blast bugs lose, but we moved on to other things. They haven't dominated tournaments, so maybe nothing needs to be done? I dunno. No objections to the idea - just not sure.

I generally favor simply re-costing things. It's usually the easiest solution because still work just like they did before.
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 12:55:40 PM

What would yall think about changing the floor rules for characters brought in through reinforcements? They would count for victory points and be able to collect gambit, while still not counting towards the squad build total.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 1:18:12 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Not in favor. I think they should have been worth points from the beginning, but I think we may have too many changes already. All changes should be to fix game-breaking or major NPE reasons. If the game goes to a full win, it shouldn't matter anyway. Everything dies.

On that note, though, I would favor changing the end-game trigger for games that end before time expires. Instead of playing to the build total (kills+gambit), play to the build total (counting kills only). In other words, you play until one side kills the other. If that doesn't happen in time, only then do you look at gambit points. I haven't actually encountered this, but with 10-pt gambit I could see a situation where one side has 60 points of gambit and 140 points of kills... and wins with 20 minutes left in the hour. But the next round, the loser's untouched 60pt Beat Stick was about to take the last 10 hp off the winner's last piece. The loser loses because he didn't have enough gambit even though he was going to wipe out the other player's whole squad, and do so in plenty of time. I've never seen that happen, but with 10-pt gambit it's quite possible. And that shouldn't happen. First rule of winning should be wiping out the other squad within the time limit if you can. If nobody does, then count gambit. (And award a full win if you reach the build total with gambit... but only count it after the game is over.)

[edits: clarified some wording]
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 2:20:29 PM

A simple recost of WCS and DLW might be the right call.

Mando
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 2:48:14 PM

I'd like to suggest the Yun Ne'Shel priest's cost be increased. Right now ever squad I make for Vong starts at 24pts because the combo of the Yun Ne'Sel Priest and a Ossus Guardian is too good imho. Giving Avoid Defeat to a 40 HP bodyguard that can also reduce dmg by 10 with VCA with a save of a 7, and then when it does eventually die just needs 2 7's with Avoid Defeat in order to change the balance of the game dramitically. I've played several games where the Ossus Guardian just doesn't die until the 3rd time it absorbs a hit, making it the best BG in the game when the Yun Priest gives it Avoid Defeat and the +4 to saves.

Maybe if the Yun Ne'Shel Priests cost was increased to 21 it'd be fine cause then you can't bring it in via Quorreal and it still dramitically helps the squad, just for 8pts more. Ithink right now the combo costs to little and its a problem i think.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 4:39:28 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
For the record, I don't even know if it's a problem. I played a couple times with them and I don't think I ever saw the blast bugs lose, but we moved on to other things. They haven't dominated tournaments, so maybe nothing needs to be done? I dunno. No objections to the idea - just not sure.

I definitely think there needs to be some more evidence before they're adjusted. I dislike playing against them, and I like how some of the powerful swarms have been de-powered, but they've barely made a tournament top 4 yet, and they've been out since 2013.

Does everyone like the Domain Lah version better than the Praetorite Scout version?
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 10:05:04 PM

Joe’s squad is superior to the Praetorite Blast Bug squads I played in early 2014. I gave up trying to fit Blast Bug into my Lah warrior squads. Like TJ I moved on because vong weren't exactly dominating the environment. But Joe has perfected his squad into a near auto-loss for Rock squads. Counters are hard to come by and I don't think Marn is the answer in every squad.

The difference is for +1 cost with 10pt Domain Lah Warriors instead of 9pt Praetorite Vong Scouts you get; +30 hitpoints, +4 defense, +5 attack, Twin, Speed 8, and VCA 11. You have 17 activations and go 1 at a time. You outactivate and run 8 warriors 8 sq. and Blast Bug 6 sq. away (range 14) doing (160 unpreventable damage). The 40hp Lah warriors with crab armor "7" are not easy to kill. Lah warriors have durability to stick around and Blast Bug you more. Lah warriors can also run up and twin for 40 damage or base and double twin for 80 damage.

Our game at Frosty lasted maybe 4 rounds and was like 200 some points to 30pts.
I think I killed 3 warriors. Darth Zhanna and Darth Cognus died rounds 2 and 3.
The game was over quickly without either player hardly rolling a die.

Etienne's game lasted 3 rounds 200pts to 0pts.
He was unable to kill anything before 100pt Dooku and crew died rounds 1 and 2.
He said it was the biggest blow out he’s ever experienced in SWM.

Domain Lah Warriors with Blast Bug is clearly an NPE. Joe suggested Lah warriors cost be raised to 15.
I tend to agree with him that a simple cost change would help.
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 10:39:48 PM

We personally haven't had a problem with blast bugs either. I soundly beat them so bad in the regional two years ago with a reserves team that brought in strafe that no one has ran them since. They have no good ranged counter. If people really want reducing them to 10 direct damage is fine it's just like a flamethrower but I still vote for leaving them as they are. It's nice to counter all of that SSM and such people play
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 11:03:57 PM

I, personally would like to see more evidence that they are a problem. If the balance committee had listened after frosty last year, the Republic Commandos would have gotten the hammer, and I don't think they are a problem.

Let the meta sort itself out a bit.

I beat Joe very soundly twice and I was running a very ROCK squad and it was a suboptimal build at that.

Yes, Blast bugs (or unpreventable damage) is very good against rock. So is force lightning and flamethrower and many other abilities.

Look at the meta of frosty. Joe called it perfectly: ALL ROCK. No Durge on speeder, no Swap, no outact and smash, no grevious on wheelbike. None of the Vong's natural counters were present. I would expect his squad to do well.

Now, it is certainly something the balance committee should keep an eye on but I certainly don't think they should make a knee-jerk reaction.

I didn't get to watch Jim's game which I would have liked to, but it seems that disruptive SHOULD be pretty good against them. They have to get to range 6 (or at least in Joe's build they do).

If memory serves, the only regionals Vong have won, were one out West in the early years, Tim with Jake's spit poison squad and Jake beating me in a Vong on Vong final in Chicago with Jake with spit poison and peace brigade and myself with the Preaterite blast buggers and peace brigade.

And no, I certainly don't think a squad or piece has to be winning (or dominating) to get looked at (ie see Panaka of Theed) but at the same time, the current combination is pretty new and I personally don't know if the meta has had a chance to respond. With Daala the meta had multiple chances to respond. Same with most of the other stuff that the balance committee actually changed.

Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 6:40:05 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
I, personally would like to see more evidence that they are a problem. If the balance committee had listened after frosty last year, the Republic Commandos would have gotten the hammer, and I don't think they are a problem.

Let the meta sort itself out a bit.

I beat Joe very soundly twice and I was running a very ROCK squad and it was a suboptimal build at that.

Yes, Blast bugs (or unpreventable damage) is very good against rock. So is force lightning and flamethrower and many other abilities.

Look at the meta of frosty. Joe called it perfectly: ALL ROCK. No Durge on speeder, no Swap, no outact and smash, no grevious on wheelbike. None of the Vong's natural counters were present. I would expect his squad to do well.

Now, it is certainly something the balance committee should keep an eye on but I certainly don't think they should make a knee-jerk reaction.

I didn't get to watch Jim's game which I would have liked to, but it seems that disruptive SHOULD be pretty good against them. They have to get to range 6 (or at least in Joe's build they do).

If memory serves, the only regionals Vong have won, were one out West in the early years, Tim with Jake's spit poison squad and Jake beating me in a Vong on Vong final in Chicago with Jake with spit poison and peace brigade and myself with the Preaterite blast buggers and peace brigade.

And no, I certainly don't think a squad or piece has to be winning (or dominating) to get looked at (ie see Panaka of Theed) but at the same time, the current combination is pretty new and I personally don't know if the meta has had a chance to respond. With Daala the meta had multiple chances to respond. Same with most of the other stuff that the balance committee actually changed.

+1

If Joe and I played that exact matchup more, he'd win the majority of times. I just need to adjust my squad to deal with the possibility of Vong...Aves wasn't enough. (And, that's exactly how Aves SHOULD play...he hinders but doesn't nerf.) After FrostyCon, I've made some adjustments to my squad and I am fine with facing Vong again. More data is needed...just because I think I can handle it and Jason did as well doesn't mean that we should ignore the fact that Joe rolled Etienne and Bryan. I'd like to discover why Jason's rock squad worked and theirs didn't.

Regarding removing Ysalimiri from Talon, I am totally against it. I'm sure that playing that faction colors my opinion some, but I'd also like to point out that the very first appearance of ysalimiri in Star Wars canon/lore/legends was with Talon using them. The effect on jedi was dramatic in the books and it should be a problem for jedi squads to have to deal with. Some of the over the top issues like shooters in the bubble benefiting when shooting someone outside the bubble have been dealt with, and rightly so. (C'Boath used the force outside the bubble to throw rocks at Mara inside the bubble.) My opinion is that ysalimiri is accurate as is now...to gain the benefit you actually need to put the target in the bubble. That, ironically, is the reason I lost to Trevor at FrostyCon...I put Talon at risk to get Ani/Obi in the bubble.
jak
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 6:59:13 AM

how about we get rid of the Vong all together?ThumbsUp hmmm
let's run that up the flag pole, and see who salutes it!Wink
juice man
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:12:13 AM

jak wrote:
how about we get rid of the Vong all together?ThumbsUp hmmm
let's run that up the flag pole, and see who salutes it!Wink
Noooooooo.
juice man
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:25:30 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:

If Joe and I played that exact matchup more, he'd win the majority of times. I just need to adjust my squad to deal with the possibility of Vong...Aves wasn't enough. (And, that's exactly how Aves SHOULD play...he hinders but doesn't nerf.) After FrostyCon, I've made some adjustments to my squad and I am fine with facing Vong again. More data is needed...just because I think I can handle it and Jason did as well doesn't mean that we should ignore the fact that Joe rolled Etienne and Bryan. I'd like to discover why Jason's rock squad worked and theirs didn't.

Regarding removing Ysalimiri from Talon, I am totally against it. I'm sure that playing that faction colors my opinion some, but I'd also like to point out that the very first appearance of ysalimiri in Star Wars canon/lore/legends was with Talon using them. The effect on jedi was dramatic in the books and it should be a problem for jedi squads to have to deal with. Some of the over the top issues like shooters in the bubble benefiting when shooting someone outside the bubble have been dealt with, and rightly so. (C'Boath used the force outside the bubble to throw rocks at Mara inside the bubble.) My opinion is that ysalimiri is accurate as is now...to gain the benefit you actually need to put the target in the bubble. That, ironically, is the reason I lost to Trevor at FrostyCon...I put Talon at risk to get Ani/Obi in the bubble.
Aves almost was enough, he forced my commander to come out and eventually get killed, too late for Jim, but he did get the Subcommander.
jak
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:35:02 AM

seriouslySmile .. the Blast bug's damage must be 20, or higher. they were deadly 'lil buggers(pun intended)
but like all grenades/missiles, they should have a save. I like a higher one, since they were so damaging.
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 9:39:11 AM

jak wrote:
seriouslySmile .. the Blast bug's damage must be 20, or higher. they were deadly 'lil buggers(pun intended)
but like all grenades/missiles, they should have a save. I like a higher one, since they were so damaging.

I think they are meant to be more like flamethrower except it's focused on only one person while flamethrower hits groups. In that sense it's balanced
atmsalad
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 11:17:06 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
I think they are meant to be more like flamethrower except it's focused on only one person while flamethrower hits groups. In that sense it's balanced

I would agree with you that the ability itself, blastbug, is equal to flamethrower. However, I would argue that the issue we are having is not because the ability itself is over powered. It's the fact that it is handed out to spamable non-uniques.

It may be that the problem will be solved purely through a costing of 22 to the commander. It may be removing the ability from the commander or even changing the ability altogether. It also may be that nothing is needed to be done. One thing is for sure, we don't have enough physical information for anyone to make an informed decision.

I personally don't agree wth the argument that "if it isn't winning then it isn't a problem". It can effect the meta in a way that discourages players from playing squads they enjoy. That was definitely obvious with double swap and daala, but they were also winning.(also more popular among players) Fortunately I think the balance team agree that it doesn't need to be winning to warrant a change. If they didn't, then nothing would have been done about panaka and such.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 11:41:00 AM

General_Grievous wrote:

Clone Trooper with Flamethrower 11pts
HP 20
DF 14
Att 0
Dam 10
Order 66
Burning Attacks
Flamethrower 20

Domain Lah Warrior 10pts
HP 40 (w/ Crab Armor)
DF 15 (gets Evade "7")
Att +6 (+10atk w/ Zenoc Quah)
Dam 10 (+10 with Shaper)
Melee Attack
Twin
Force Immunity
Speed 8
Crab Armor "7"
YV Warrior
(Mobile with Blast Bug)

Flamethrower 20 is not a good comparison.
10pt Domain Lah Warriors with Blast Bug is not balanced.
atmsalad
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 12:06:13 PM

Just wanted to add something. Last year charging vong squads lost convincingly to several of the top squads. However, many of those squads have been hampered in some way, shape or form. Double swap has been neutered, mice walls can't stop them, death shots are non existent, self distruct isn't prevalent and the high act squads have been brought closer to the charging vongs level.

There are still potential answers to the squad. 4 diplomats from lobot, running beef and bringing marn and even disruptive has the potential to be kryptonite to the super vong. I look forward to seeing if the vong are up to the task, or if they will crumble under the pressure.
atmsalad
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 12:12:28 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
Clone Trooper with Flamethrower 11pts
HP 20
DF 14
Att 0
Dam 10
Order 66
Burning Attacks
Flamethrower 20

Domain Lah Warrior 10pts
HP 40 (w/ Crab Armor)
DF 15 (gets Evade "7")
Att +6 (+10atk w/ Zenoc Quah)
Dam 10 (+10 with Shaper)
Melee Attack
Twin
Force Immunity
Speed 8
Crab Armor "7"
YV Warrior
(Mobile with Blast Bug)

Flamethrower 20 is not a good comparison.
10pt Domain Lah Warriors with Blast Bug is not balanced.

+1