RegisterDonateLogin

Is altering the meal. Pray it doesn't alter it further.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

any more ideas for the balance committee? Options
Caedus
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 9:03:10 AM
Groups: Member

urbanjedi wrote:
I agree that aggressive negotiations should be lost if you deal damage somehow (grenades or blast bug or whatever)

+1 Could it possibly be worded as losing the ability when you "target an enemy character"?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 9:50:20 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Caedus wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:
I agree that aggressive negotiations should be lost if you deal damage somehow (grenades or blast bug or whatever)

+1 Could it possibly be worded as losing the ability when you "target an enemy character"?

Either that or "attack or damage".
Lou
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 7:43:06 PM

+1
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 9:15:12 PM

Lou wrote:
+1

I like "attack or damage". I think you should be able to do stuff like Jedi Mind Trick without losing AN.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 8:51:05 AM

Marn. He needs to be talked about and looked at.

I don't think Bribery is innately a problem. I don't think Con-Arist is either (rules headaches aside). But giving con artist to the bribery pieces crosses into broken territory.

He is without a doubt a top tier force to be reconed with. Every squad must have a plan for him. He is reshaping squad design, and thereby narrowing the field. His much more dominant than any other piece being discussed currently. He won the GenCon championship the first year he came out.

He currently nearly nerfs at least 2 top tier squads by himself.

If not simply a cost increase, having him give out something other than con artist to the bribed pieces might be better.
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 9:00:08 AM

Regarding Aggressive Negotiations - "or deals damage." would work.

Regarding Marn - +1 = Every time I make a squad the first question is always "How do you plan on dealing with Marn?" He's not an auto-win, but he's become an auto-pain far and above what he was meant to be I believe.
Lou
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 2:15:03 AM

I wont play the squad I wanted to play at GenCon because of Marn.
jak
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 7:51:46 AM

LOL pretty funny that we're sniveling about a SnivvianRazz
juice man
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 8:24:00 AM

Con Artist Cramps Competition!

(Messed me up in Frosty. Hey, has Jason had Marn in all his regional victories? Something to ponderBigGrin )
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 8:26:10 AM

Lou wrote:

Would this small change to Marn's Bribery change your mind?

Quote:
Bribery (During setup, after seeing your opponent’s squad, you may add up to 10 points of Fringe characters to your squad. After setup, you may choose to select up to 10 points of your opponent's characters brought in through reinforcements instead of your original selection. These characters join your squad for the rest of the skirmish, and set up in your starting area. Living characters brought in through this ability gain FRINGE.)

This way Marn wouldn't give con artist to anybody but Jareal and Zayne (through cammeraderie). Most people don't play those other characters with Marn too often, and the original intent of the piece was more flavor and to encourage you to play with those characters. Too often now he has played without those characters, and without a doubt he is a top-tier piece at the moment ( certainly never the intent).

It may seem like an odd pick to have him give out fringe, but it does have its uses in certain cases. If your opponent has reinforcements from any faction other than Fringe, for example, and you are playing with Talon Karrde - you can take those nonfringe reinforcements and not lose your bonus.
Mando
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 9:56:40 AM

the yun Ne'Shel priest needs to be changed. Please! +4 to saves while also granting Avoid Defeat to a follower is to good, such as the suddenly now near Immortal Ossus Protector who costs only 10pts with Quorreal and 0pts for an opponent to kill. I've had games where the Ossus Protector "dies" 5-6 times before actually dying. That is insanely powerful for a Bodyguard, who will always benefit from the +4 to saves and always have Avoid Defeat since it's not disruptable. The Yun Ne'Shel Priest is just way to good and its a huge NPE to deal with a Bodyguard that will never die and absorb hundreds of damage in attacks all for 0pts. I feel compelled to use this combo every time, not because I love to do it, but because it's so horribly broken that I feel I need to exploit it. I'd rather it just go away and not ever have to worry about using it in one of my builds or going against it, cause I've done both scenarios many times and it is not fun. It just doesn't feel right to do it.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 10:18:44 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Not disagreeing with anything else on the priest, but the CE is disruptible. We just discussed this in the rules section.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 10:24:48 AM

juice man wrote:

(Messed me up in Frosty. Hey, has Jason had Marn in all his regional victories? Something to ponderBigGrin )

No, Marn was not in all my squads (I won PA with gungans without him).

In all honesty, I'm not sure Marn is as good as he has been advertised. I personally play him even when he doesn't benefit the squad because of my pure hatred of opposing reinforcements, but I certainly recognize that my squads aren't always built in the best manner and that there are certainly times when the 21 pts of marn would be better used on something else.

And I really don't think there are that many (if any) matchups where Marn takes you from a probable loss to a probable win. Marn's best matchups are Vong (where he can give you some blast bugs of your own), and any of the Emperors where you can spend their force with con artist.

Against the vong, the key is being able to do 60 on the move (or 40 unpreventable) and while getting the blast bugs for yourself, I don't think are what tip the meta. For instance if you used Marn in a squad that otherwise loses to the Vong, I think it will probably still lose.

And after playing it, I don't think Marn's other great matchup is as great as it seems. I thought going in against Greg at the IN regional that Marn would pretty much win me the game against his emperor/vader/fett squad because I could shut down the emperor. And while, I was able to keep the emperor from lightning me, he still has rage assault and can pump out a ton of damage. It certainly wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

After playing Marn at WI and getting almost zero use out of him, I'm not convinced he is the best call. People (including myself) will still play him, and he will be at gencon, but that doesn't mean he is overpowered or anything else of the sort.

What he does is make it a pain for people with reinforcements (which have been few and far between) and every once in a while he can make a difference with con artist.

If you take my squads out of it, I don't think he has been in very many squads at all this season.

TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 10:26:59 AM

While we're at it - Stormtrooper TK-421

He's not in and of himself some broken piece. But I do think one key aspect of this characters main ability was overlooked.

Right now he puts a serious hurt on all-Fringe squads.

He becomes a excellent swapper that really hamstrings the all fringe opponent if they kill him. No more Talon bonus. Or you have a swapper that your opponent doesn't kill, and btw can gain gambit.

I don't believe this piece was designed to be an all-fringe killer.

This small change would fix it:

Quote:
Why Aren't You At Your Post? (When this character would be defeated by an enemy, replace this character with a character named Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Armor instead. The new character is considered activated, his faction changes to your opponents faction, and he joins the opponent's squad until the end of the skirmish.)

urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 10:33:43 AM

Lou wrote:

So you are making a meta call that there are going to be lots of Marn at Gencon.

That is no different than saying you won't play a squad because Cin/Serra might be there or Outactivate and smash might be there or Vong Blast bugs might be there, or a Mando ambush squad might be there.

urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 10:39:03 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

He's not in and of himself some broken piece. But I do think one key aspect of this characters main ability was overlooked.

He becomes a excellent swapper that really hamstrings the all fringe opponent if they kill him. No more Talon bonus. Or you have a swapper that your opponent doesn't kill, and btw can gain gambit.

Quote:
Why Aren't You At Your Post? (When this character would be defeated by an enemy, replace this character with a character named Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Armor instead. The new character is considered activated, his faction changes to your opponents faction, and he joins the opponent's squad until the end of the skirmish.)

Actually, messing with Talon was one of the major design points.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 10:43:21 AM

Marn is inarguably dominant. It all comes down to where you draw the line.

Player hatred for a piece does factor in too. If a piece pisses of the majority of the community, it has to be looked at. (Not that Marn is that - but it's another factor to consider when considering errata - Vong Warriors/blast buggers/Yun Ne'Shell Priest is a prime example)

My personal criteria for considering errata is this:

1. Is the piece warping the meta?
IE are people abandoning squads due to this piece alone?
Are people considering this piece with a huge variety of squads?
Does this piece alone change the way people build squads?
Does the piece disproportionally hurt certain factions, especially non-top-tier factions?
(I'd say yes to all this for Marn.)

2. Is there a majority of players who vocally distain this piece?
IE - People are quitting the game over this piece
People are moving to exclusively non competitive formats. (I think most would say no to Marn here)

3. Design intent. (I think we all know Marn missed the mark here. He was meant to be a flavor piece played mostly in all fringe with Jareal and Zayne. Not a GenCon winning regional dominant, consider in any squad even without Jareal or Zayne piece)

That is my order in which I'd weigh the consideration.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 10:45:08 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Quote:

Actually, messing with Talon was one of the major design points.

Wow, that's weird. All fringe finally became playable, but never overly dominant, and design intent was to hurt them?
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 10:50:26 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
juice man wrote:

If you take my squads out of it, I don't think he has been in very many squads at all this season.

I stand corrected on the minor point of saying he was in 100% of the regional winning squads. He was in ALL BUT ONE.

My point still stands strong.

And the guy who has won all but one regional this year, winning all of his regionals this year but one with Marn, is absolutely huge testament.

So what were really saying is squads with Marn win more often than ones without him.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 11:04:14 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:
juice man wrote:

I stand corrected on the minor point of saying he was in 100% of the regional winning squads. He was in ALL BUT ONE.

My point still stands strong.

And the guy who has won all but one regional this year, winning all of his regionals this year but one with Marn, is absolutely huge testament.

So what were really saying is squads with Marn win more often than ones without him.

no no no we went down this road a hundred times with other pieces, such as daala, etc. its not the piece its the player....