donnyrides wrote:
Is stuff like this a problem too?

Captain Tarpals 20
Dug Black Sun Vigo 20
Togorian Black Sun Vigo 24
Klatooinian Black Sun Thug x 20 120
R7 x2 16

Total points 200. 40 range 12 nades at 30 damage each

I don't hear much about people running strafe to much anymore. Black sun is in the same conversation as vong, but not as OP as blast bug with nearly untouchable 10 point vong.

For KBSVs, I think the self destruct build with Nom is actually better. You halve the damage, but you're protected against strafe to some extent.

10 hit point stuff is less of a problem IMO - it can be very tough for some builds, but at least there are some counters, especially with Lobot (Momaw, Sanyassan Marauder).
donnyrides
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 11:55:47 AM
Groups: Member

ok, just thought while we were on the topic of low cost, easy to be buffed and exploit pieces I would bring this up. So it would seem the HP and that they don't have force immune is what makes them not a rule changing kind of thing.

just wanted to participate BigGrin
Caedus
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 11:56:22 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

I agree with Joe that 13-14 cost for the Lah Warriors would be the sweet spot. That and make the Subcommander (blast bug giver) 22 pts (can't be brought in by Quorereal) is all you'd need to let the squad still compete, but be balanced.

In addition - make this the new glossary definition for Aggressive Negotiations:

At the start of the skirmish, this character is considered to have the Diplomat special ability. It has that ability until it either makes an attack, uses an ability that could cause damage or activate an enemy, or is targeted or attacked by an enemy character (such as through the normal means described in Diplomat or through special abilities such as Indiscriminate). Enemy characters with Ambush, Backlash, or It's a Trap! are able to ignore the Diplomat special ability gained through Aggressive Negotiations and target* this character. (*for purposes of attacking only)

Replacing attacks to damage enemies is a dirty way around the outward appearances of Aggressive Negotiations.
An attacker approaching enemies unscathed before attacking is Aggressive Negotiations.

With 22pt WCS and 14 point Lah Warriors...

--Charging & Blast Buggering TANK squad--
30 Supreme Overlord Quorreal
29 Domain Shai Subaltern
28 Zenoc Quah
22 Warrior Caste Subcommander
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
56 Domain Lah Warrior x4
13 Yun-Ne'Shel Priest
5 Zonoma Sekot Scout
Preferred Reinforcements:
(S. O. Quorreal) 14 Domain Lah Warrior "Aggressive Negotiations"
(S. O. Quorreal) 8 Yuuzhan Vong Warrior "Aggressive Negotiations"
(198pts. 13 activations)
7 Blast Buggers, 140 unpreventable damage a round. (100 without AN guys)

--I Hate TANKS and mom's apple pie NPE Extreme--
28 Zenoc Quah
22 Warrior Caste Subcommander
17 Yuuzhan Vong Subaltern
70 Domain Lah Warrior x5
13 Yun-Ne'Shel Priest
5 Zonoma Sekot Scout
(S. O. Quorreal) 14 Domain Lah Warrior "Aggressive Negotiations"
(S. O. Quorreal) 8 Yuuzhan Vong Warrior "Aggressive Negotiations"
(200pts. 14 activations)
8 Blast Buggers, 160 unpreventable damage a round. (120 without AN guys)

So this is my query in all of this. Definition of Mobile Attack - This character can move both before and after attacking (or using an ability that replaces attacks).

Why wouldn't Aggressive Negotiations follow the same rule definition?
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:50:03 PM

donnyrides wrote:
ok, just thought while we were on the topic of low cost, easy to be buffed and exploit pieces I would bring this up. So it would seem the HP and that they don't have force immune is what makes them not a rule changing kind of thing.

just wanted to participate BigGrin

I think you're correct that they are one of the worst remaining offenders. I don't think they're quite bad enough to warrant changing, but they might become a problem as other things are smoothed out.

One of the things I don't like is that the best swarms (Daala, Vong) are force immune, so Bastila doesn't shut them down. I think Bastila was good for the game, and it would be good if she continued to be a risk for fielding CE dependent squads. Not saying Vong shouldn't be force immune obviously, just shouldn't have got such a powerful swarm.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:51:01 PM

Which would be worse to play against, a Lah Warriors squad or this:

34 Nom Anor
19 Yomin Carr
14 Yuuzhan Vong Seer
20 Zonoma Sekot Scout x4
68 Yuuzhan Vong Worker x17

(S. O. Quorreal) 6 Advance Scout
(S. O. Quorreal) 20 Yuuzhan Vong Worker x5

(200pts. 32 activations)

Yes you get saves and damage reduction, but there are 27 of them. (but only 23 blow up)

Just have to ask this.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:50:23 PM

DarkDracul wrote:

Flamethrower is not unpreventable damage, they are not the same thing.
SA and Powers like; Fireproof, Damage Reduction 10&20, Shields 1&2, Dark Armor 1&2, Flak Shield, Crab Armor, Force Bubble, ect.. can reduce or negate Flamethrower damage. Blast Bug damage can't be reduced...it's unpreventable.

seems like the unpreventable damage should be the 1st thing to go.

At least if you can negate some dmg via armor, DR or the like then they would lose a significant amount of potential.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:51:54 PM

juice man wrote:
Which would be worse to play against, a Lah Warriors squad or this:

34 Nom Anor
19 Yomin Carr
14 Yuuzhan Vong Seer
20 Zonoma Sekot Scout x4
68 Yuuzhan Vong Worker x17

(S. O. Quorreal) 6 Advance Scout
(S. O. Quorreal) 20 Yuuzhan Vong Worker x5

(200pts. 32 activations)

Yes you get saves and damage reduction, but there are 27 of them. (but only 23 blow up)

Just have to ask this.

i'd say the warriors. Lots of way to deal 10 dmg AoE. Warriors just laugh that off.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:16:16 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:

seems like the unpreventable damage should be the 1st thing to go.

At least if you can negate some dmg via armor, DR or the like then they would lose a significant amount of potential.

Another option would be adding some sort of draw back, like the user taking unpreventable damage as well, or automatically failing saves until their next turn.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:39:56 PM

This would be somewhat odd wording, but what if only 10 of the damage is unpreventable?

"Instead of making its normal attack or attacks, this character deals 20 damage to a target enemy within 6 squares. If this damage is reduced or prevented, the target character instead takes 10 damage that cannot be prevented."

Or:

"Instead of making its normal attack or attacks, this character deals 20 damage to a target enemy within 6 squares, save 11. On a success, target enemy takes 10 damage which cannot be prevented."

I know those are unnecessarily awkward, but it's a thought. If we're voting, I think a slight cost increase to both the Lah Warriors and the Subcommander is the way to go, but I have no experience with competitive Vong, so feel free to ignore me. BigGrin
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:28:52 AM

Just bringing it up again.

Non Unique Vong are an issue. Blast Bugs were a bad idea, and exacerbate quite a lot, but I think now the main issues to focus on are actually the Lah Warriors and the Yun Ne-Shel Priest.

The Lah Warriors are simply undercosted. They really should be 14-16 pts each. Speed 8 is such a huge advantage, the fact that they cost less then the already outstanding High-Bred Warriors is nuts.

As for the Yun Ne-Shel Priest - the +4 to saves is certainly annoying, but not the most offensive part. Giving out Avoid Defeat is a major issue, and it is compounded by the +4 to saves. This is all un-disruptable, and is frequently used to make a bodyguard that can live forever. By design the priest was meant to strengthen Unique Vong. It failed miserably in that aspect, but original intent could be salvaged. If the Yun Ne-Shel Priest's main ability, Yun Ne'Shel Devotion (+4 to saves) only applied to Uniques - that would be a huge step in the correct direction. It also is odd mechanics that the ability itself applies to a whole squad. The ability should just be for that piece, and the CE should give the devotion. Giving out Avoid Defeat really should be dropped altogether. Here's what that would look like:

Yun-Ne'Shel Priest 13
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 16
Attack: 1
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Avoid Defeat (Whenever this character would be defeated, make 2 saves, each needing 11; if both succeed, this character has 10 Hit Points instead of being defeated)
Force Immunity (Enemies cannot affect this character with Force powers, or spend Force points to reroll attacks against this character or to respond to this character's attacks and abilities)
Yun-Ne'Shel Devotion (This character and each Yuuzhan Vong ally gets +4 to save rolls as long as it has another Yuuzhan Vong ally within 6 squares)

Commander Effect
Unique Allied Yuuzhan Vong gain Yun-Ne'Shel Devotion

"The Jedi revere life, as does Yun-Ne'Shel, the Modeler." -- Nom Anor, in his guise as the Prophet Yu'shaa
DarthMaim
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:41:33 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Just bringing it up again.

Non Unique Vong are an issue. Blast Bugs were a bad idea, and exacerbate quite a lot, but I think now the main issues to focus on are actually the Lah Warriors and the Yun Ne-Shel Priest.

The Lah Warriors are simply undercosted. They really should be 14-16 pts each. Speed 8 is such a huge advantage, the fact that they cost less then the already outstanding High-Bred Warriors is nuts.

As for the Yun Ne-Shel Priest - the +4 to saves is certainly annoying, but not the most offensive part. Giving out Avoid Defeat is a major issue, and it is compounded by the +4 to saves. This is all un-disruptable, and is frequently used to make a bodyguard that can live forever. By design the priest was meant to strengthen Unique Vong. It failed miserably in that aspect, but original intent could be salvaged. If the Yun Ne-Shel Priest's main ability, Yun Ne'Shel Devotion (+4 to saves) only applied to Uniques - that would be a huge step in the correct direction. Giving out Avoid Defeat really should be dropped altogether, (Perhaps making the effect for devotion the new CE?) but giving it out only to a Unique Vong would be the reasonable medium ground.

+1!
DarthMaim
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:46:29 AM

Swarms, with a million activations are annoying, as well. This is the reason the playgroup at my LGS, love playing 500 Epics Tourneys, because 16 activations are the max. IMHO, there should be some cap on activations in 200pt competition play. Thanks for hearing my plea ThumpUp
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:14:22 PM

This is a little aside, but one thing I don't like is that arguably the two best swarms, Vong and Daala, are largely Bastila proof. One has force immunity and one has access to Pellaeon.

Bastila was put there to keep massed CEs in check, and in hindsight the two factions with Bastila proofing shouldn't have been given strong swarms.

I still think that the Blast Bug is the biggest problem, but putting the Lah Warrior up at the same time wouldn't hurt as it's clearly undercosted. And the Priest is a problem as well. But we saw Praetorite Vong Scouts doing pretty well in NZ before the Domain Lahs came out.

I don't think an activation cap is the answer though - I'd rather control it by having more swarm control in the meta and by de-powering the swarms if necessary. Certainly it's not ideal to see the entire top 4 of a Regional consist of swarms.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:24:10 PM

I think it's a little goofy to release pieces that lack proper playtesting, and then cry foul, when some one finds a way to use them. The same boys-club that makes these pieces complains that they're too good.
I've always said the answer is to make less pieces per set.
also, lack of playtesters is a problem.
I think designers should spend more time testing pieces, than dreaming up new, and complex abilities.

we should wait as long as we did to fix this issue as we did the Mouse Dumping NPE.
but then, the biggest offenders, were designers/on the balance committee.

we need more playtesting, not designs.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:52:18 PM

jak wrote:
I think it's a little goofy to release pieces that lack proper playtesting, and then cry foul, when some one finds a way to use them. The same boys-club that makes these pieces complains that they're too good.
I think designers should spend more time testing pieces, than dreaming up new, and complex abilities.

we should wait as long as we did to fix this issue as we did the Mouse Dumping NPE.

Shocked to say this, but, +1
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:23:42 PM

We have 36 pieces in the newest set - I think it's a fairly manageable number. I also think that design intent and play-testing has been a lot better in the last few sets - nothing has emerged as broken from set 10 or 11 that I've heard about yet, and a lot of the good pieces have been uniques. Play-testing wasn't quite as strong in the upcoming set as it was in the previous two sets, and a lot of the load was on Spry, Mando, and myself, but everything got a going over to some extent.

There's also a pretty big separation between the Balance Committee and Design Team - four members of the balance committee have never been designers (although Spry has worked on the upcoming Epic III set), and the other three are not current designers.

I definitely think that:
- there are a few pieces around that probably need addressing, especially Vong.
- the process is better than it was in terms of preventing broken pieces - there's more of a focus on making uniques and Jedis the best pieces in the set, and building up overlooked sub-factions.
- we need to step up playtesting next set a bit to keep up quality.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:37:33 PM

jak wrote:

If Jak is referring to me regarding the 'mouse dumping npe', he's right from a certain point of view. Early in the regional season last year when he and others were complaining about it, the tournament results confirming it weren't there in my opinion so I poo-poo'd it away. Later on that season before GenCon I saw that it was indeed an issue and added my voice to others that changes were needed. While it would have been nice to get changes on mice done before GenCon because the problem was obvious, we didn't do it. Then, with GenCon approaching I saw a way to take advantage of everyone running high activation squads. It would take me abandoning my fringe low act Talon squad and throwing in with the mouse dumpers myself, so I did it. I did that primarily to win GenCon, but I also hoped that it would finally push us to changing rules to take away some of the abuses.

I think it did that...somewhat. I'm still not totally happy with the mouse...it can still be used as a blocker...but we did get a lot right. So...to make a long story short...I'll own some of that mouse dumpiness but it wasn't totally selfishly motivated.
DarkDracul
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 4:18:01 PM

Thanks Jim for helping steer the game in a better direction. Your always a classy guy... even when dropping the mice.

My suggestions for the balance committee...

Yun-Ne'Shel Priest - make the save +2. (VCA 6 being lowered to VCA 2 is crazy.)

Warrior Caste Subcommander - re-cost to 22pts. (He gives out Blast Bugs!)

Domain Lah Warrior - re-cost to 14 points.
Games I've played opponents kill 5 or 6 of the 10pt Lah warriors and cant even reach 100pts for a 1 point loss.
14 points gives you 2 less warriors in the squad and 40 less unpreventable Blast Bug damage each round.

Thank you balance committee for hearing our concerns.
Dr Daman
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:10:29 PM

[quote=DarkDraculDomain Lah Warrior - re-cost to 14 points.
Games I've played opponents kill 5 or 6 of the 10pt Lah warriors and cant even reach 100pts for a 1 point loss.
14 points gives you 2 less warriors in the squad and 40 less unpreventable Blast Bug damage each round.[/quote]

What does a non-Blast Bug Warrior squad look like? This is one that I made for a tournament early last year and I didn't think that it was too bad.

--Lah Dee Da--
29 Domain Shai Subaltern
28 Tsavong Lah, Warrior Elite
28 Zenoc Quah
60 Domain Lah Warrior x6
10 Zonoma Sekot Scout x2

(S. O. Quorreal) 13 Yun-Ne'Shel Priest
(S. O. Quorreal) 9 Dooje Brolo

(200pts. 15 activations)

If the issue is them being able to gain BB, then would it be worth dropping Yuuzhan Vong Warrior from their SA's and testing that before dropping the cost?
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:03:49 AM

@10points two Domain Lah warriors are better than Tsavong Lah. Here's what a good non blast bug squad looks like...

Drop Tsavong Lah and Charging Subaltern for 8 domain Lah warriors and better tech. Give the Scouts and Yun-Ne'Shel Priest Aggressive Negotiations. Gain a bodyguard with avoid defeat 7. Gain Double & Scarification for warriors that hit +14 atk double/twin for 120 damage each.

--Lah warriors Vong--
28 Zenoc Quah
18 Praetorite Vong Priest
17 Yuuzhan Vong Subaltern
11 Yuuzhan Vong Ossus Protector
80 Domain Lah Warrior x8
(S. O. Quorreal) 13 Yun-Ne'Shel Priest
(S. O. Quorreal) 10 Zonoma Sekot Scout x2
(199pts. 17 activations)