RegisterDonateLogin

Yes, yes. To Bloo Milk you listen.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

any more ideas for the balance committee? Options
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 11:08:38 AM
Groups: Member

TimmerB123 wrote:
Marn is inarguably dominant. It all comes down to where you draw the line.

Player hatred for a piece does factor in too. If a piece pisses of the majority of the community, it has to be looked at. (Not that Marn is that - but it's another factor to consider when considering errata - Vong Warriors/blast buggers/Yun Ne'Shell Priest is a prime example)

My personal criteria for considering errata is this:

1. Is the piece warping the meta?
IE are people abandoning squads due to this piece alone?
Are people considering this piece with a huge variety of squads?
Does this piece alone change the way people build squads?
Does the piece disproportionally hurt certain factions, especially non-top-tier factions?
(I'd say yes to all this for Marn.)

1. I don't think he is warping the meta. The IN regional meta had 2 Vong squads AND 3 Emperor/Vader squads as well as at least 2 squads with Marn. If he was meta warping, wouldn't people have brought squads that were not hurt as much by Marn?

2. I am about the only one using him. So no, I don't think tons of other people are working on trying to use him in other squads. And in most mirror matches, the guy without Marn has the advantage.

3. Lots of pieces change how people build squads. Blast Bug guy, Priest, Vader of Lothal (shien), Obiken, cloaked mandos, etc. You have to try and predict the meta and then make sure you don't have lots of bad matchups. For instance some mando players have been playing SD Deathwatch sabs in order to make sure they compete in the heavy melee meta right now.

4. Not sure what all factions you are referring to, but Marn does almost nothing against most squads. Woo, Great!!! my 2 uggies I brought in get evade and mobile from Reikken, or they get self destruct from Pre Vizla, or +4/+10 from any number of CEs. There are some cases where you get better stuff (ie Vong), but overall it isn't really any different (and much worse) than say Bastilla shutting down all CEs.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 11:16:36 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:
juice man wrote:
Con Artist Cramps Competition!

(Messed me up in Frosty. Hey, has Jason had Marn in all his regional victories? Something to ponderBigGrin )

No, Marn was not in all my squads (I won PA with gungans without him).

If you take my squads out of it, I don't think he has been in very many squads at all this season.

I stand corrected on the minor point of saying he was in 100% of the regional winning squads. He was in ALL BUT ONE.

My point still stands strong.

And the guy who has won all but one regional this year, winning all of his regionals this year but one with Marn, is absolutely huge testament.

So what were really saying is squads with Marn win more often than ones without him.

However, I don't think Marn himself was the contributing factor in any of the squads. It could be argued he was instrumental at Frosty (but that was more because I was still using the outmoded Adi Gallia instead of the updated version of Cin/Serra with Quin) and I still think Cin/Serra can beat Vong without MArn. In chicago, Marn was mostly useless. I did play Brian and his Vong, but it certainly wasn't Marn that did it, it was the squad. My squad would have been better without Marn in that matchup. In IN, con artist was probably more useful than at other regionals, but again, the fact that Yobuck can go and do tons of damage was much more the deciding factor than Marn was. At WI, Marn was 100% useless.

TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 11:42:33 AM

Certainly not trying to start any fights.

Regardless, I think Marn's dominance warrants discussion.
Caedus
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 11:43:52 AM

IMO, I don't think it's fair to compare Bastila to Marn. Bastila at 33 points still costs more ( yes by only 2pts ) than Marn and his 10pt co-conspirators. Also Distraction and Disruption can mitigate the sting of Bastila, while neither of those affect Marn and Friends in the slightest. Also timing and limitations also affect Bastila, IE Force Points and Timing for ABM. I can set up my attack and "delay" Bastila's effectiveness. Marn and his cohorts have no such restrictions. Something in Marn's make-up is broken, once again, IMO.

surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 12:18:23 PM

I think the consensus is that Marn is an issue that needs to be addressed; its just a question of How he's changed. If his initial intent was to mesh with Jarael and Zayne, how could he be changed to That?
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 12:25:49 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
I think the consensus is that Marn is an issue that needs to be addressed; its just a question of How he's changed. If his initial intent was to mesh with Jarael and Zayne, how could he be changed to That?

Maybe cost 25 and Rapport -2 for Zayne and Jarael? Not a huge difference, but the extra four points will at least help. I haven't played with/against him yet, and he's kind of an abstract piece for me to pick a side without having played him.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 12:27:20 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:

Clearly not the consensus.

Majority might think this (maybe)

How to focus on Jareal/Zayne:

Quote:
Bribery (During setup, after seeing your opponent’s squad, you may add up to 10 points of Fringe characters to your squad. After setup, you may choose to select up to 10 points of your opponent's characters brought in through reinforcements instead of your original selection. These characters join your squad for the rest of the skirmish, and set up in your starting area. Living characters brought in through this ability gain FRINGE.)

This way Marn wouldn't give con artist to anybody but Jareal and Zayne (through cammeraderie). Most people don't play those other characters with Marn too often, and the original intent of the piece was more flavor and to encourage you to play with those characters. Too often now he has played without those characters, and without a doubt he is a top-tier piece at the moment ( certainly never the intent).

It may seem like an odd pick to have him give out fringe, but it does have its uses in certain cases. If your opponent has reinforcements from any faction other than Fringe, for example, and you are playing with Talon Karrde - you can take those nonfringe reinforcements and not lose your bonus.
harryg
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 12:29:40 PM

I believe this was stated earlier in this thread, but I believe that the only issue with Marn is the fact that Bribery gives Con Artist to the living characters brought in. That's the issue here, I think. If we change that to something still good but not that good, like Stealth or something (That's obviously not the only option but you get my point here), then Marn is fine for his cost. It's just the fact that having 4 total activations with an enemy commander effect is to much. If we JUST have Marn taking one force point per round from Palpatine, that's fine. If it's JUST Marn that can Blast Bug back against a Blast Bug swarm, then it's fine. But when Palpatine is losing 4 Force Points a round, it's NOT fine, because it really doesn't make any sense for a 21 point piece to essentially cripple a 100 point piece or any other Force battery out there. Same goes with 4 Blast Buggers. I just don't think it should be possible to allow Emperor Palpatine, Sith Mastermind to basically be defeated by a black marketeer and 3 Ugnaughts for 1/5th of his cost.

EDIT: While changing him to focus on Jarael and Zayne is a good idea, I don't think there's any change that should be made that doesn't involve the wording of Bribery. The ability it gives out definitely needs to be changed IMO, even for 25 points that's way to strong. That's just me.
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 12:49:51 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:

Clearly not the consensus.

Majority might think this (maybe)

I only say consensus because there seem to be a majority against the abilities he brings as opposed to defending him.

I have only rarely bumped into him myself; those who've seen him at his best/worst are the ones that should take the lead on this issue.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 12:58:58 PM

I generally like Marn, but the interaction with 100 point Palpatine is unfortunate. At the same time, I like how he's keeping Blast Bug in check. He lost a lot of power last year with not being able to be played with Lobot.

In any case, it's too late to make changes before GenCon, right? So we should see what data we get from GenCon?
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 1:18:09 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I generally like Marn, but the interaction with 100 point Palpatine is unfortunate. At the same time, I like how he's keeping Blast Bug in check. He lost a lot of power last year with not being able to be played with Lobot.

In any case, it's too late to make changes before GenCon, right? So we should see what data we get from GenCon?

Yes for sure.

Although data from Gen Con will have to be taken with a large grain of salt. So many people are changing their squads because of him, he may not make as big of a splash. But changing squats because of him shows us something in and of itself
Mando
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 1:24:03 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Not disagreeing with anything else on the priest, but the CE is disruptible. We just discussed this in the rules section.

I thought that since the Avoid Defeat was granted at the start of the skirmish after setup and lasted for the rest of the game, that it can't be disrupted. That is the way i heard it described to me anyways.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 1:27:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Mando wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:
Not disagreeing with anything else on the priest, but the CE is disruptible. We just discussed this in the rules section.

I thought that since the Avoid Defeat was granted at the start of the skirmish after setup and lasted for the rest of the game, that it can't be disrupted. That is the way i heard it described to me anyways.

After looking at it again, that is incorrect (and it might well have been me who told you that, so--sorry!). All you do at the start of the skirmish is choose who the CE applies to. If it said the ability was gained until the end of the skirmish, that would endure past disruptive.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 1:30:08 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

Yes for sure.

Although data from Gen Con will have to be taken with a large grain of salt. So many people are changing their squads because of him, he may not make as big of a splash. But changing squats because of him shows us something in and of itself

Not sure who all is changing their squad because of him. Can't imagine that many people were going to play one of the emperor batteries (and not entirely convinced that Marn beats that outright anyway), and I know that Marn doesn't beat the vong by himself. You can either handle the vong or you can't Marn isn't going to change a loss into a win against the Vong.

juice man
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 1:30:32 PM

Mando wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

I'd heard that also, my immediate response was "Whoo hoo!!" But looking at it more closely...what she said.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 1:37:11 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

Yes for sure.

Not sure who all is changing their squad because of him. Can't imagine that many people were going to play one of the emperor batteries (and not entirely convinced that Marn beats that outright anyway), and I know that Marn doesn't beat the vong by himself. You can either handle the vong or you can't Marn isn't going to change a loss into a win against the Vong.

It doesn't. I played against two with Marn in IN, and split. If you can't get damage past the party, you still lose.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 1:38:34 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

Yes for sure.

It's already been stated in this thread that it's happening. I guarantee you I would build my squad differently if Marn didn't exist.

He hurts many things, Vong and Sid are simply the most currently egregious.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 1:43:16 PM

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but --if having three 10-hp pieces use one CE hurts your squad that much, build with Momaw. Problem solved.

I know, I know, that's still changing your build because of one piece. But as J said, there are plenty of pieces that can require that.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 2:15:51 PM

urbanjedi wrote:

He nerfs any force battery that lets allies spend Force points with a CE. 100-pt Palpatine is just the biggest example. Although only a few are playable. 100-pt Palps, Palps on Throne, Exar DFS. With a few others on the fringe of playability. Krynda Draay, Old Ben Kenobi, Yoda of Dagobah.

Momaw does nothing to help the Force batteries because the ugnaughts can sit in the back of the board and drain the Force points.

FWIW, it does pretty much solve the ghost-haunting-ghosts "problem" with Exar. Not worth haunting Exar if the opponent will just spend his FP anyway.
AceAce
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 2:37:08 PM

He definitely mattered in our matchups in Indiana. Jason brought in 3 Rodians both games and they stole blast bug and suddenly he could deal damage that is never dealt any other way (3 point rodians...automatic 20dmg) and if I had to kill them, he would save the damage from other pieces and even more longevity ensued. Most often you would ignore 3 Rodians unless trying to get activations equalized but in this case you had to go after them.