RegisterDonateLogin

I recognized your Bloo stench when I was brought on board.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

any more ideas for the balance committee? Options
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 12:20:12 PM
Groups: Member

Oh, and they get double attack too. I keep forgetting that. Lol
Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 1:05:12 PM

atmsalad wrote:
I personally don't agree wth the argument that "if it isn't winning then it isn't a problem". It can effect the meta in a way that discourages players from playing squads they enjoy. That was definitely obvious with double swap and daala, but they were also winning.(also more popular among players) Fortunately I think the balance team agree that it doesn't need to be winning to warrant a change. If they didn't, then nothing would have been done about panaka and such.

+1

This is why I said that we need more information. Feedback from FrostyCon would be helpful too. For instance, why do you, Bryan and Jason think that Jason's jedi tank squad did better than yours and Bryan's? Did he prepare with the idea he'd see Vong? I know other than Aves I wasn't prepared. On the other side of the coin, we saw perhaps the best Vong player in our game right now. Can average players build and play Vong squads and reach Joe's level of success?

My thinking is that if there is a problem, it will not only manifest itself in winning, but even if it isn't, the threat of it could be keeping other squads off of the table.
AceAce
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 1:45:26 PM

Greg and I played 2 squads this morning against it. He ran the Vong with blast bug both games. He wiped me out in game one in my Jedi heavy squad with GMA. It didn't matter at all and he tore the jedi up.

Game 2, his same squad and I played a Panaka swapping 2 clone troopers on speeders doing 40 with Yoda's +3 +3 with opportunist and Bacara. It was a LOT of work to kill all his 10 point beasts and I still had one to kill at games end. He still had all his commanders coming to fight and then it would have been almost dead GM Yoda against them...no chance. As it was he still had a 10 point piece in the fight.

Really sad I remarked that a Grandmaster Jedi can't handle a 10 point scrub and has to work like a dog to even do any damage to one. Totally ridiculous squad.

Maybe two save rolls of 11 or higher for -10 dmg. each time (like shields) is the way to go. Maybe even re-cost those pieces to 15 (10 is WAAAAY to few, they do a hell of a lot of stuff).
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 3:38:33 PM

Panaka can't swap clones on speeders because they aren't medium base
AceAce
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:06:21 PM

Nice, even better. So Thrawn can't swap Uggernaught's?
Dr Daman
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:17:18 PM

AceAce wrote:
Nice, even better. So Thrawn can't swap Uggernaught's?

Thrawns CE doesn't specify a particular size for swap but the two pieces being swapped must be the same base size. So he can swap an uggernaught as long as the piece it swaps places with is also a huge.
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 12:02:36 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
I think they are meant to be more like flamethrower except it's focused on only one person while flamethrower hits groups. In that sense it's balanced

Clone Trooper with Flamethrower 11pts
HP 20
DF 14
Att 0
Dam 10
Order 66
Burning Attacks
Flamethrower 20

Domain Lah Warrior 10pts
HP 40 (w/ Crab Armor)
DF 15 (gets Evade "7")
Att +6 (+10atk w/ Zenoc Quah)
Dam 10 (+10 with Shaper)
Melee Attack
Twin
Force Immunity
Speed 8
Crab Armor "7"
YV Warrior
(Mobile with Blast Bug)

Flamethrower 20 is not a good comparison.
10pt Domain Lah Warriors with Blast Bug is not balanced.

The difference is the Republic player can bring Tarpals and have now 40 splash group area damage that cannot be prevented as well as potentially stealth and definitely mobile attack and -1 cost from padme.
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 7:49:38 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
The difference is the Republic player can bring Tarpals and have now 40 splash group area damage that cannot be prevented as well as potentially stealth and definitely mobile attack and -1 cost from padme.

Flamethrower is not unpreventable damage, they are not the same thing.
SA and Powers like; Fireproof, Damage Reduction 10&20, Shields 1&2, Dark Armor 1&2, Flak Shield, Crab Armor, Force Bubble, ect.. can reduce or negate Flamethrower damage. Blast Bug damage can't be reduced...it's unpreventable.

Clone Trooper with Flamethrowers, like Praetorite Scouts are little bitches. 20hp and no defense. You can double attack and kill 2 of them or kill several with LS sweep. You can use Force Powers to kill or activate them. You can't easily kill a Domain Lah warrior or use force abilities against them.

The most effective squad-builds I've seen are not using more than 4 Flamethrowers. Jason's ny regional squad used 2.
You might get 7 flamethrowers and be effectively in a few matches but it's no where as near as good as 8 Lah warriors with Blast Bug.

AceAce
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 8:34:43 AM

It is obvious that the Blast Bug squad is in the same vein as the death shot Bespin Guards or Rep. Pilots with Twin. The way they work is obviously different but the effect is the same...making low-cost pieces do massive damage. Really, the Daala squads that first launched had the same effect. In both of the latter two examples, they needed Erratas to fix the ability to abuse...Daala changes and no more Twin CE.

In any Gungan squad I've ever played (and I've played a LOT of them,) the overwhelming destruction of the opponent was never so clear-cut. They could not..move 16 squares and attack with massive damage..or Cesta. Matter of fact, this is obviously why they are different. The Gungans are used only for the Cestas and they are: (1) lousy attackers, (2) low HP 30 (to 40 for Vong), (3) no way to reduce damage like the Vong (with the Vong being able to reduce with a 7 roll no less), and (4) the only way to reduce their cost to 10 from 11 is to add a 35 point piece (albeit with reinforcements,).
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 9:41:17 AM

ill weigh in here as well, as I was the one running vong against Giles (ACEACE). I dont normally run vong as I tend to prefer Rock jedi or more balanced squads, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, so I decided to give them a go. I will say, that my son Dillon loves the vong almost as much as juiceman and so I have played against the Lah Warriors quite a bit but we hadnt stumbled across the blast bug nastiness until now. It is very disheartening to throw everything your squad has at 50ish points worth of your opponents squad and struggle mightily to finish them off before they wipe you out. IMO the Lah warriors should easily cost 15-17 points. with the easy access to all the buffs they can get, their 40 HP plays more like 70 with crab armour on a 7 and evade on a 7 which they are also likely to have means that it doesnt do much good to shoot at them. In the game against Giles yesterday, even though neither of us caught that Panaka couldnt swap the clone speeders, he still had to play his speedy strafe pieces that we both assumed could be swapped cautiously due to the threat posed by 10 point pieces that can run 16 squares and twin for 60 potential damage. I agree that blast bugs are nasty, but I feel like the much more pressing issue is the Lah warriors cost so I feel that the balance team should look at them first and wait and see where that takes us from there.
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 10:19:44 AM

AceAce wrote:
It is obvious that the Blast Bug squad is in the same vein as the death shot Bespin Guards or Rep. Pilots with Twin. The way they work is obviously different but the effect is the same...making low-cost pieces do massive damage. Really, the Daala squads that first launched had the same effect. In both of the latter two examples, they needed Erratas to fix the ability to abuse...Daala changes and no more Twin CE.

In any Gungan squad I've ever played (and I've played a LOT of them,) the overwhelming destruction of the opponent was never so clear-cut. They could not..move 16 squares and attack with massive damage..or Cesta. Matter of fact, this is obviously why they are different. The Gungans are used only for the Cestas and they are: (1) lousy attackers, (2) low HP 30 (to 40 for Vong), (3) no way to reduce damage like the Vong (with the Vong being able to reduce with a 7 roll no less), and (4) the only way to reduce their cost to 10 from 11 is to add a 35 point piece (albeit with reinforcements,).
+1
Gungans are a good example and probably on par with Flametroopers against low act tanks, but not an auto-loss.

You also reminded me of another point, Quorreal bringing in key pieces like Warrior Caste Subcommander with Aggressive Negotiations. Unlike other squads, you can't just kill the commander to shut them down. Warriors may also be brought in that way to Blast Bug while never losing Aggressive Negotiations.

It's just a simple matter of recosting a few characters to make things a little more balanced.
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 11:31:42 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
atmsalad wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
Recosting the Commander to like 35 could also work.

He is incredibly undercosted, about as bad as the domain lah warriors.

The core issue is the undercosted Warriors. He just gives them another ridiculously good tool.

I feel like you should have to build one way or the other, not get the best of both worlds.

Honestly the Lah warriors are worse overall. They should cost 14

+1!!!!!!!!!!

Come on guys. 10 pts for these guys is ridiculous. Please tell me of a 10 pt piece in the game that does anything close to what these guys can do with their access to all the special abilities and board wide commander effects the Vong have. This is a no brainer!
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 11:46:01 AM

I've never actually played with or against Domain Lah with Blast Bugs, it's always been the Cloaked Praetorite Vong Scouts in New Zealand. It's probably a meta thing - we're pretty infamous for having less strafe and gallop around, so the Cloaked is maybe more effective in our meta.

I remember have a conversation with some of the top NZ players when the Domain Lah Warriors and the guy who gives them Evade came out, asking if they'd switch to using Domain Lah Blastbug swarms, but they still thought the Scouts were better at that point. That was before the guy who gives them saves on a 7 was released though, maybe he tips the balance further towards the Lah Warriors.

I still think the Subcommander is the biggest issue. Praetorite Vong Scouts with the Subcommander are incredibly tough too. They just have a few more counters, as they're weak against strafe and gallop, and to Momaw's War Throat, but they still dominate rock squads. Forward Positioning on them is also quite significant, as they can spread out around gambit and destroy anything that moves in there.

The Lah builds that can bring in a Subcommander with Quorreal as required are also a big issue - feels like having your cake and eating it too. It's certainly unusual to be able to change the entire focus of your squad through one reinforcement.

Lah Warriors are definitely undercosted, but I don't mind them too much when they just attack.

What beats Lah squads like Joe's? Strafe? Deepstrike and kill the Subcommander? Outswarming them?

Feels like Yobuck would take a lot of damage for not much in return against them.
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 12:07:49 PM

outswarming could potetially work, but then the meta heads right back to where it was last year with outact and smash which is a good tactic, but one that IMO isnt very popular as a meta. Strafe would be great if you could actually kill them on a strafe but with crab armour and a potetial save of 7 that's not likely and then unless you control init with MTB and strafe back the top of next round, they are likely going to be able to run you down with the 16 square charging twin they can pull off as Giles saw first hand yesterday. All I had to do was spread them out so he couldn't strafe more than 1 or 2 and I was easily in range for a charge at the top of the round. Beefy strafe like duge would last a round or two more at most. I havent played the cloaked scouts, but Giles said that he has played against them and that they were indeed a nuisance, maybe he could give an opinion about which he thinks is worse or if they are about the same?
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 12:11:27 PM

gholli69 wrote:
outswarming could potetially work, but then the meta heads right back to where it was last year with outact and smash which is a good tactic, but one that IMO isnt very popular as a meta.

Yes, I agree that a high act swarm with unpreventable damage encourages a high activation and tech heavy meta, which is what we want to get away from.
AceAce
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 12:26:20 PM

I played at GenCon last year against Spry I think and he was running the cloaked blast bug squad. I had death-shot Bespins I think with opportunist and it was a whole lot of work to get a 1 point loss. It was murder to get to 100 points and he killed most every piece I had. the cloakers could not be shot as I exited and the only way to do it was to base them and then he was glad to lose a smaller costed piece than the piece I was trading. Even if then you lost all your shooters and he lost all the blast buggers, his commanders would slaughter yours.
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 12:30:48 PM

Jaq played a squad at Frosty he said he had used to beat Joe's vong. But they didn't play each other at Frosty. A 38 activation Rodian Brute swarm with Iltorian Commander, Princess Leia HC, and charging Han. Zombie Rodian Squad...Not sure it would work for everyone, Jaq can roll >16 like a newborn finds a teet.

AceAce
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 12:31:27 PM

One final thought, I and likely most all experienced players would know soon if their squad had a chance against the BB squads and definitely after a round or so. If it was looking like a slaughter, depending on the which game in the tournament we were in, I'd shake hands and concede. It is no fun to look a a squad (like the old Daala's or 20+activation squads with tempo control,) and know you're wasting your time playing. There aren't many squads that I play against where I have this feeling, but this is one. That said, in closing, I have my one powerhouse squad I am tweaking I need to try against it, and if it gets killed and badly, I'll be even more sure about the BB squads.
jak
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 3:06:34 PM

after reading all this...........I think we should take any designer that let the Lah warrior get released with 10 cost,
and ban them from design and tell their parents what they have doneLOL (and maybe put a baby nexu in their underwareDrool )
juice man
Posted: Monday, February 29, 2016 7:11:11 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Jaq played a squad at Frosty he said he had used to beat Joe's vong. But they didn't play each other at Frosty. A 38 activation Rodian Brute swarm with Iltorian Commander, Princess Leia HC, and charging Han. Zombie Rodian Squad...Not sure it would work for everyone, Jaq can roll >16 like a newborn finds a teet.

I'd amend that to "jac can roll < 11 like a newborn finds a teet." Great analogy there.BigGrin