RegisterDonateLogin

Will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GOWK, the answer. Options
Uggie Demo
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:11:19 AM
Groups: Member

Ok we are going to know if he is banned or not july 1st, and I have to say a few words; Why are some people whinning about gowk???Confused He is not that hard to beat and not as broken as GG DAC(and a few other characters) I just dont get it why some of the players hate him and just give up once they see him on the other end of the board, stop complaning and except the challenge, but there isn't really anything we can do about it, the choice has been made and we will find out what it is on july 1st.
The only thing I dont like about him is that He can bought for less then $6 and very easy to get.
(Unlike GG DAC, Boba BH, Jar Jar ect.)
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:19:58 AM

ummm, GGDAC isnt broken, GOWK is more broken because they both have about the same CE(minus twin) but GOWK with all his abilities is waaaaaay harder to kill than GGDAC and GGDAC costs 2 more.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:25:47 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

...and Droid squads weren't a very good option before GGDAC. The Republic didn't have that problem. Now they are ridiculous.
Tirade
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:31:58 AM

Man, I guess that means all the top players are whiners huh? Great way to start a thread.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:41:42 AM

When were top players whinning about GOWK???
So I guess twin attack isn't that get hu?
But both GG DAC and Gowk have counters(Ion Gun Squads, Force push squads)
Uggie Demo
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:43:09 AM

awesome wrote:
ummm, GGDAC isnt broken, GOWK is more broken because they both have about the same CE(minus twin) but GOWK with all his abilities is waaaaaay harder to kill than GGDAC and GGDAC costs 2 more.

Yes he is more harder to kill but that dosen't mean is is unstoppable and dominates on all point levels.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:50:20 AM

get on vassal and I can show you why he is broken. Unless your playing a push or true hate squad I bet GOWK could just run right at you and stay alive.
dnemiller
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:53:15 AM

Uggie Demo wrote:
Ok we are going to know if he is banned or not july 1st, and I have to say a few words; Why is everyone whinning about gowk???Confused He is not that hard to beat and not as broken as GG DAC(and a few other characters) I just dont get it why some of the players hate him and just give up once they see him on the other end of the board, stop complaning and except the challenge, but there isn't really anything we can do about it, the choice has been made and we will find out what it is on july 1st.
The only thing I dont like about him is that He can bought for less then $6 and very easy to get.

Yeah you really hit the nail on the head with that post.

Hey you live in Indy. How about you show up to Gencon and play me or get on vassal. I will accept (not except) the challenge and even try to play without a kleenex for all of my whining.

You just really dont get it.

A ban on Gowk is benficial to you...... not me. Keep Gowk around. I will show up to a tourney and know exactly what is being played prior to my arrival because it will either be Gowk or anti-gowk. I will then be able to play the entire tourney with no surprises.
Then it will be your skill versus mine. I like those odds.

You keep Gowk around shrink the Meta to something that top 16 players in the world will know at every tourney and watch what happens. They will win every tourney. They will win Gencon. They game might get boring but they will win. The people that are not so good.... well the game will get just as boring for them but they will continue to lose. After several months of that.... well they look for a game that they have a chance at.

Think it isn't so? Then explain to me why board traffic always jumps just prior to a new release. Because so many people that quit using the boards out of boredom have a reason to come back.

I find it hilarious that you find Gowk easy to beat. Please get on vassal and show me how easy he is to beat.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:54:07 AM

Tirade wrote:
Man, I guess that means all the top players are whiners huh? Great way to start a thread.

Forgive me if I'am wrong but I just saw a thread saying that gowk banned or not is going to be revialed on july 1st and I have heard people whinning on how "unstoppable" he is. I for one like challenges so when I see Gowk or Thrawn at the other end of the board I dont whine I dont care if my opponent as a better squad then me I just enjoy the game for what it is, and if Gowk is banned I will start playing GM Yoda and move on(I like GM yoda better then Gowk) and no matter how many characters get banned I will NOT stop playing this game.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 12:03:03 PM

dnemiller wrote:
Uggie Demo wrote:
Ok we are going to know if he is banned or not july 1st, and I have to say a few words; Why is everyone whinning about gowk???Confused He is not that hard to beat and not as broken as GG DAC(and a few other characters) I just dont get it why some of the players hate him and just give up once they see him on the other end of the board, stop complaning and except the challenge, but there isn't really anything we can do about it, the choice has been made and we will find out what it is on july 1st.

Yeah you really hit the nail on the head with that post.

Hey you live in Indy. How about you show up to Gencon and play me or get on vassal. I will accept (not except) the challenge and even try to play without a kleenex for all of my whining.

You just really dont get it.

A ban on Gowk is benficial to you...... not me. Keep Gowk around. I will show up to a tourney and know exactly what is being played prior to my arrival because it will either be Gowk or anti-gowk. I will then be able to play the entire tourney with no surprises.
Then it will be your skill versus mine. I like those odds.

You keep Gowk around shrink the Meta to something that top 16 players in the world will know at every tourney and watch what happens. They will win every tourney. They will win Gencon. They game might get boring but they will win. The people that are not so good.... well the game will get just as boring for them but they will continue to lose. After several months of that.... well they look for a game that they have a chance at.

Think it isn't so? Then explain to me why board traffic always jumps just prior to a new release. Because so many people that quit using the boards out of boredom have a reason to come back.

I find it hilarious that you find Gowk easy to beat. Please get on vassal and show me how easy he is to beat.

I dont think he is easy I just said he is not that hard to beat, and + you are like the best player in America right? so i think you could beat me with almost any squad, And I'm out of town but I will be back late monday so maybe tuesday we could play, I wont be that upset if he is banned, I'll just start playing GM Yoda instead, I just play to have fun, not to win gencon, Yes i do play practice games from time to time and I'm happy when I win a tourny, Vong are a good counter to GOWK and pretty good when not playing gowk.
Tirade
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 12:04:40 PM

Uggie Demo wrote:
Tirade wrote:

Forgive me if I'am wrong but I just saw a thread saying that gowk banned or not is going to be revialed on july 1st and I have heard people whinning on how "unstoppable" he is. I for one like challenges so when I see Gowk or Thrawn at the other end of the board I dont whine I dont care if my opponent as a better squad then me I just enjoy the game for what it is, and if Gowk is banned I will start playing GM Yoda and move on(I like GM yoda better then Gowk) and no matter how many characters get banned I will NOT stop playing this game.

You called everyone whiners. It's in the first post of yours.

Honestly, I don't think the good players care about the challenge. They know how to run GOWK and realize there are very few counters to him. They are worried GOWK is strangling the game.

If you can move on with GM Yoda, then what's the big deal? Why are you calling everybody out? That's what I would like to know.
Tirade
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 12:08:02 PM

Uggie Demo wrote:
I dont think he is easy I just said he is not that hard to beat, and + you are like the best player in America right? so i think you could beat me with almost any squad, And I'm out of town but I will be back late monday so maybe tuesday we could play, I wont be that upset if he is banned, I'll just start playing GM Yoda instead, I just play to have fun, not to win gencon, Yes i do play practice games from time to time and I'm happy when I win a tourny, Vong are a good counter to GOWK and pretty good when not playing gowk.

That's not the point. Even if Dean could beat you with any squad, he would rather show you why GOWK is worthy of a ban.

Also, if you aren't going to be upset, what's the big deal? If you play for fun, a GOWK ban won't affect you in the least. You can continue doing what you like within the confines of your home.

As for Vong being a good counter, I don't think their odds as rosy as you think. Plus they tend to struggle against those nasty shooters. I know several GOWK squads that pack Rex and Dash. How does your Vong squad handle that?
Uggie Demo
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:17:08 PM

Sorry for calling you people who dont whine whinners, I'm not going to be upset, I just dont under stand why people are overestimating GOWK, he is not unstoppable he is not unbeatable he is just an over the average character with alot of defensive abilities, just wait till GaW, then it will get really ugly.
IG-108
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:17:31 PM

I'm just gonna throw my two cents in here and then get out in case I put more fuel on the fire.
I don't think GOWK should be banned because: it's just a miniature piece for a game.
Yes, he's hard to kill. Yes, he's got a great commander effect. But who's to say that in the next set or two, new things will come out that will get around his Soresu style mastery? Makashi mastery is already there, direct damage will work, shooting him enough times is a 50:50 chance at beating him, Vong can be a potential problem for him.
I know I'm pretty much repeating what's been said over and over, and that someone's going to counter my post, but my personal opinion is that GOWK shouldn't be banned.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:19:13 PM

Well put IG-108. I agree with you.
dnemiller
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:35:07 PM

IG-108 wrote:
I'm just gonna throw my two cents in here and then get out in case I put more fuel on the fire.
I don't think GOWK should be banned because: it's just a miniature piece for a game.
Yes, he's hard to kill. Yes, he's got a great commander effect. But who's to say that in the next set or two, new things will come out that will get around his Soresu style mastery? Makashi mastery is already there, direct damage will work, shooting him enough times is a 50:50 chance at beating him, Vong can be a potential problem for him.
I know I'm pretty much repeating what's been said over and over, and that someone's going to counter my post, but my personal opinion is that GOWK shouldn't be banned.

Well I am not going to counter your point. I hope that something comes out that counters it. That would be great. But in the mean time Gowk is strangling the competitive game. Whether or not that means something to you I cannot say. But the problem is a lot of the time is Rob quite honestly doesnt know what is going on in the game. He is too busy designing it. Do you know what Rob said when someone asked Rob about designing Boba BH? They were asking him why he made him so powerful and they were listing his abilities. Rob straight faced replied...."They left Accurate on that card???? Man we took that off"

I think that is an pretty good example of what we are up against here. To get Rob focused on Gowk you have to get his attention.
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:40:00 PM

I dont care if GOWK is banned or not, its just that he puts a wrong kind of mind set to people who start playing with him, they would run him all the time therefor not getting anywhere, the reason he is so messed up is because of his play testing,

I do admit he is broken, to many good support you can put with him is what makes him deadly, and that MotF2, mettle thing is also allot, that is why he is harder to beat.

sure every type squad has there downfall its just there are less options to take GOWK squads down,
because of what you can do with him,

no Ive never played with him but I have playd against him(winning about half), Vong are good against him but they fall easy because of there hp/only melee thing.

it does take allot of fire power or auto damage to take him down and there are many ways he can avoid that.

I think the reason he is getting banned is because he put a wrong type of mindset feeling to the game than there should have been
IG-108
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 3:45:33 PM

I completly understand why GOWK could be banned, and it makes plenty of sense. I just wish that something other than banning the piece could be done. Banning one piece could just be the start of banning others in the future. But that's a worst-case scenario.
But awesome is right. If new people can just discover that GOWK is the best piece in the game, then they won't find any point in expanding on anything else for competitive play.
vanlanning
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 4:26:13 PM

The only thing I can say about GOWK is he is countered by Lord vader, and is most definitely not unstoppable.
ewokballs88
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 5:09:34 PM

i totally agree that gowk is very very very hard to take down. I killed all of his squad and he came back and nearly beat me. Although i hate seein this guy i would hate to see him get banned. I do think its wrong for new guys to come in without a clue how to play the game and just automatically be a competitor, but at the same time he is obi-wan he killed maul, anakin(at full strength and force), and grievous. He deserves a great piece. Maybe just limit ssm to melee attacks, keepin him all powerful but an easier weakness.