Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GOWK, the answer. Options
awesome
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:44:37 AM
Groups: Member

owaller3 wrote:
xpraider wrote:
owaller3 wrote:
You can't fit Revan (88), Nomi (41) and Crusader (23) in a 150 point squad. I have played against a nomi sunrider squad with Viable and my opponent tried to use sever the force on Vader (where it would be most useful) and died getting there. Sever the force is too hard to get to work to be any kind of counter. If OR had a swap then it might work but until then it is worthless.

Maybe not in 150, but 200 point tournaments are still DCI, in which case you can fit Nomi, Revan, and a Crusader.

Sure 200 points would allow you to have them all but then the GOWK squad can have alot more too (including a swap). OR are just horrible and there is no point in playing them in a competitive environment when other more effect counters exist. Not to mention any discussion of counters outside of 150 are fruitless since the GenCon championship is 150 and it seems that is what most people are insterested in.

they could be competitive now, with Malak,

like Malak, Atton czerka, I mean if Atton can see someone who hasnt activated than they go down

but OR isnt as playable as any other faction mainly because there are very few characters that are good.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:52:40 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

With out Obi-wan, the OR would be a very solid 1.5 faction. They are very close. Don't underestimate what the Battlemaster and the Exhile do for the faction. The Exhile opens up so many fun options.
xpraider
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:55:23 AM

awesome wrote:

but thats a whole lot of points just to try to get someone not to use force anymore,

now, if Nomi could be in a sith squad that would be awesome they have swap or you can give renewal to everyone and mettle.

Yes it is. But if you consider that most squads are probably either GOWK or anti-GOWK, and a lot of the anti-GOWK squads are going to be based around Force abilities that do direct damage, being able to take away the Force is a pretty big blow, and without GOWK being able to use the Force, he's much weaker in his defense.

That said, an OR squad like this is still going to be fairly weak, because the faction as a whole is fairly weak. Now it's a little better, but it's still at a disadvantage compared to most of the other factions.

For example: Revan (88), Crusader (23), Nomi (41), Battlemaster (27), Juggernaut (16), and an Ugnaught (3) is 198.

If we consider that Revan is helping Nomi get to GOWK, then the Crusader, Battlemaster, and Juggernaut would be going after his Support. Once his Force is Severed, it will take an average of 12 hits (assuming he's full health) to kill him. The big disadvantage this squad has is against Range, so Dash and Rex would be able to do a lot of damage.
awesome
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:58:00 AM

yes they would, but this squad isnt going to last against a shooter squad, not all GOWK hate squads are based on auto damage, sometimes its allot of attacks

but why worry about Anti-GOWK squads now if hes going by by?
xpraider
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:19:26 AM

awesome wrote:
yes they would, but this squad isnt going to last against a shooter squad, not all GOWK hate squads are based on auto damage, sometimes its allot of attacks

but why worry about Anti-GOWK squads now if hes going by by?

Sometimes they are, but shooting squads as a whole have gotten weaker due to the amount of evade now in the game, and I can't think of any OR squads that are going to last against a shooter squad anyway. I would say they were stronger against GOWK or Direct Damage (Force) squad than a pure shooter squad. The Exile can Force Defense while Nomi can Sever.

And GOWK hasn't gone bye-bye yet, and he still may not.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:24:06 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

xpraider wrote:
Yes it is. But if you consider that most squads are probably either GOWK or anti-GOWK, and a lot of the anti-GOWK squads are going to be based around Force abilities that do direct damage, being able to take away the Force is a pretty big blow, and without GOWK being able to use the Force, he's much weaker in his defense.

Nomi will have issues with the biggest Force using counter, Rebel Push. Sorry, Push 4 means Nomi can die before she gets close. Add in shots from Han...
xpraider
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:24:14 AM

owaller3 wrote:
xpraider wrote:
owaller3 wrote:
You can't fit Revan (88), Nomi (41) and Crusader (23) in a 150 point squad. I have played against a nomi sunrider squad with Viable and my opponent tried to use sever the force on Vader (where it would be most useful) and died getting there. Sever the force is too hard to get to work to be any kind of counter. If OR had a swap then it might work but until then it is worthless.

Maybe not in 150, but 200 point tournaments are still DCI, in which case you can fit Nomi, Revan, and a Crusader.

Sure 200 points would allow you to have them all but then the GOWK squad can have alot more too (including a swap). OR are just horrible and there is no point in playing them in a competitive environment when other more effect counters exist. Not to mention any discussion of counters outside of 150 are fruitless since the GenCon championship is 150 and it seems that is what most people are interested in.

I wouldn't call it fruitless or pointless to discuss what would happen in the 100 or 200 point format. Both are still DCI and still have people playing in regulation tournaments. The overarching debate for what seems like the past few months has been a DCI ban on GOWK, which would affect both the 100 and 200 point formats as well. If it were about a Gencon or solely 150 point format ban, then that would be a different situation.
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:33:49 AM

REgardless, you clearly haven't tried this against a competant opponent because it quite simply, doesn't work. This isn't a discussion about what might work one day in the future when the OR gets 27 more pieces. You are never going to get off a meaningful Sever and will lose Nomi even trying it. Revan isn't going to save you, as you will be horrible out activated, and the GOWK figure will simply get moved away after you base, and Nomi killed off.

Second, as I said even if you managed to get the Sever off, you will lose Nomi to do it. That's an absolutely horrible trade. And in response, GOWK still avoids all your damage at a 50% rate, much better than any of your own figures. In an actual game, at any point level, I might even let you run up to GOWK to try and Sever, just so I can have the free and easy points for killing Nomi. I might even be willing to run GOWK out there, let you run up and Sever and just for giggles, play the game out from that point just to see if you can even get close to winning. I would predict not.

There really is no point in discussing it further. Hypothetical's are great fun and all, but in this one, you are very wrong and I am not sure you are going to see it until you actually try it. So please, do some play testing at least and tell us how great it works. Otherwise, I think we have followed your side track enough.

xpraider
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:38:46 AM

Sithborg wrote:
xpraider wrote:

Nomi will have issues with the biggest Force using counter, Rebel Push. Sorry, Push 4 means Nomi can die before she gets close. Add in shots from Han...

That's more of a positioning issue than anything else. Can she get Pushed to death? Yeah. But, the way for the OR to deal with Rebel Push is similar to how they deal with her getting killed by GOWK. The other figures block LOS to her, and with the 6 square movement from Revan along with Master Tactician, she may be able to Sever either Luke or the Apprentice, or both if she's really lucky.

Again it isn't easy, but it's really about the map and positioning. The Rebel player tries to stay back, moving away if Nomi gets BTB and gain LOS, while the OR player tries to stay out of Line of Sight and get close. One of the biggest reasons the Rebel player would have the advantage in the situation is because the Rebels have a larger pool of characters to choose from in terms of activation control. Dodonna makes it easy for the Rebels to out activate and keep back.

My point right now is that the Old Republic will have difficulty against certain factions regardless of anything else, but can have less of a disadvantage against Anti-GOWK and GOWK, because they can actually do something about a lot of the Force Abilities that are used by and against GOWK squads.
Tirade
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:01:01 AM

You've got to be kidding me? Using Revan and Nomi in a 200 squad with 6 activations? Good luck pulling out a win against a competent player.

Until Nomi gains access to a more reasonable movement breaker, this is a rather foolish conversation.
xpraider
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:08:42 AM

billiv15 wrote:
REgardless, you clearly haven't tried this against a competant opponent because it quite simply, doesn't work. This isn't a discussion about what might work one day in the future when the OR gets 27 more pieces. You are never going to get off a meaningful Sever and will lose Nomi even trying it. Revan isn't going to save you, as you will be horrible out activated, and the GOWK figure will simply get moved away after you base, and Nomi killed off.

Second, as I said even if you managed to get the Sever off, you will lose Nomi to do it. That's an absolutely horrible trade. And in response, GOWK still avoids all your damage at a 50% rate, much better than any of your own figures. In an actual game, at any point level, I might even let you run up to GOWK to try and Sever, just so I can have the free and easy points for killing Nomi. I might even be willing to run GOWK out there, let you run up and Sever and just for giggles, play the game out from that point just to see if you can even get close to winning. I would predict not.

There really is no point in discussing it further. Hypothetical's are great fun and all, but in this one, you are very wrong and I am not sure you are going to see it until you actually try it. So please, do some play testing at least and tell us how great it works. Otherwise, I think we have followed your side track enough.

I haven't tried it at all. I only came up with the squad about 20 minutes ago or so as a consideration. This has been more about speculation in regards to what I and everyone else knows about the game and how the mechanics work.

The discussion has been about the viability of removing GOWK's ability to use the Force. Which you stated wouldn't be that significant. It just worked it's way into becoming about whether Nomi or the OR could or could not work, and how viable it would be.

I never once said that it would be a definitive win, nor an easy win for the OR by Severing the Force. Hell, I've said almost every time that the OR is still going to be at a disadvantage, and probably will lose, and probably will lose Nomi because of the Sever.

Yeah, 50% chance to stop any attack is better than anything any of my characters can do, but it's a long way from 98.5% of any single attack and 50% of all other attacks.

Does Nomi still die? Most likely. Does the OR still lose? Probably. Is it going to be a closer game because of the Sever? I'd say so.

I'm not trying to show how the OR could win, I'm trying to show how they could put up a fight. And in doing so I'm trying to see if they would do better against GOWK and Anti-GOWK or the meta without GOWK.

While the course of the discussion may not interest you any further I'm trying to gain some insight into what others are saying, and seeing how things stack up. If your not interested, then fine, but please don't try to derail it for others.

Trying to mock others in their discussion adds nothing to it, and you haven't added anything since you declared that removing GOWK's Force Points isn't "all that significant anyways". I disagree.

I probably will end up testing it and letting everyone know how it goes.
xpraider
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:09:45 AM

Tirade wrote:
You've got to be kidding me? Using Revan and Nomi in a 200 squad with 6 activations? Good luck pulling out a win against a competent player.

Until Nomi gains access to a more reasonable movement breaker, this is a rather foolish conversation.

Never said it would win, I doubt it would, just not as bad a loss.
Tirade
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:25:30 AM

xpraider wrote:
Tirade wrote:

Never said it would win, I doubt it would, just not as bad a loss.

Wha? Six activations with no real shooter support? A mediocre beat that should be a free 88 points? Yeah, that's going to go over real well. I would rarely endorse a 6 act 200 squad. Especially a squad composed of those six. That is a bad loss waiting to happen.
menothsfire
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:51:46 AM

billiv15 wrote:
...You are never going to get off a meaningful Sever and will lose Nomi even trying it... Revan isn't going to save you, as you will be horrible out activated, and the GOWK figure will simply get moved away after you base, and Nomi killed off.

SO IT IS WRITTEN! SO SHALL IT BE!!

Billiv has handed down his edict upon the cowering masses! You will not discuss the possibilities that OR have against GOWK no matter how unlikely!!You will NEVER get off a sever! EVER!!!!!1!!!!111!!!!! You will no longer discuss this!!! This "side track" is unpleasing to his Lordship!!!!

RollEyes At no point dis he claim that it would be a likely strategy; just that it is one of the few option open to OR for anti-GOWK; even if it isn't a good one.
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:58:32 AM

menothsfire wrote:

Billiv has handed down his edict upon the cowering masses! You will not discuss the possibilities that OR have against GOWK no matter how unlikely!!You will NEVER get off a sever! EVER!!!!!1!!!!111!!!!! You will no longer discuss this!!! This "side track" is unpleasing to his Lordship!!!!

LolLOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Of course discussing minute possibilities for an OR squad is off topic for this thread. But I suppose you missed that. Or better, perhaps you could actually add something of value to the conversation instead of simply trying to put my minor exaggeration in it's place. Either way, it did make me laugh, as I very much enjoy insulting comments from the peanut gallery!
menothsfire
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:01:20 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Of course discussing minute possibilities for an OR squad is off topic for this thread. But I suppose you missed that. Or better, perhaps you could actually add something of value to the conversation instead of simply trying to put my minor exaggeration in it's place. Either way, it did make me laugh, as I very much enjoy insulting comments from the peanut gallery!

I don't miss anything; except having a discussion about SWM without one of 3 or 4 people dropping in to tell you how much more he knows about the game than you do. Or that no strategy that he didn't come up with could ever work.

P.S. What do you think of Oswaller's current squads; I sure do miss your "constructive" criticisms of them. LOL
madslaust
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:06:41 AM

menothsfire wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

I don't miss anything; except having a discussion about SWM without one of 3 or 4 people dropping in to tell you how much more he knows about the game than you do.

P.S. What do you think of Oswaller's current squads; I sure do miss your "constructive" criticisms of them. LOL
When he's playtested it, and the other person hasn't I think he might know a little more. Wink
menothsfire
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:10:26 AM

madslaust wrote:
menothsfire wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

I don't miss anything; except having a discussion about SWM without one of 3 or 4 people dropping in to tell you how much more he knows about the game than you do.

When he's playtested it, and the other person hasn't I think he might know a little more. Wink

It was clearly a discussion of the meager anti-GOWK options open to the OR. Instead of telling us what WILL happen in any game in which Nomi is used, a discussion of the obvious weaknesses that need to be overcome would have been MUCH more constructive. XP never claimed that sever was a GOOD option, just that it was AN option for OR.

Stop stifling discussion - there is no reason why the pros and cons of this idea couldn't have been allowed to run its course without one of the "overlords" telling you what is and is not worthy of discussion.

P.S. And if the mighty Billiv tried a mini and it didn't work then there is no chance that unrestricted discussion of the topic could not have worked out something a bit more effective? Come on.
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:20:48 AM

menothsfire wrote:

Stop stifling discussion - there is no reason why the pros and cons of this idea couldn't have been allowed to run its course without one of the "overlords" telling you what is and is not worthy of discussion.

Oh yes, but it's certainly ok for you to do the exact same to me.

Oh and while we are on the topic of hypocrisy, you referenced Owaller. He was making claims about a squad that I believe(d) to be over the top, so I responded. We resolved that in PMs the details of which are not your business, but it certainly is hilarious that you bring that up, when your first post on this topic in any thread on any board is to point out that I exaggerated my statements, however slightly that may be.

As far as being "an option" it isn't an option if it won't work. The OR does have other options that are much better than Nomi, even if they still aren't great against GOWK. But discussing OR options would be better for another thread. The topic in this one is GOWK, and in that case, Nomi is not even a realistic option. Sure, you can choose to play her, but you can't expect to win against a decent opponent with it.

If you think me saying so is "overlording" or "stifling" that's your own problem. I am arguing on the merits of the squad and it isn't a personal attack. I've even explained several times why it won't work, and continuing to discuss it is off topic - if he wants to he should make his own thread.

With that said, I will leave the rabbit trail behind and let this get back on topic.
dnemiller
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:45:23 AM

menothsfire wrote:

SO IT IS WRITTEN! SO SHALL IT BE!!

RollEyes At no point dis he claim that it would be a likely strategy; just that it is one of the few option open to OR for anti-GOWK; even if it isn't a good one.

Oh Great it is the White knight of Judgment.

You talk about Bill's post hilarious!!!!

The only time you ever post on any forum is when you have decided that they need a good tongue lashing for their crimes. Making yourself Judge over the communities. What do you really do online to help anyone.... oh wait you have posted your pics of your imperial army for all of us to admire. Nothing better than an egotistical judge.

Go ahead after my post I am sure you will be judging me...... This is like freakin Judge Dredd.