RegisterDonateLogin

With extended sensor.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GOWK, the answer. Options
xpraider
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:59:11 AM
Groups: Member

Tirade wrote:

So that's what you want the competitive game to be like? Ugly, drawn out games where cheap wins are the only wins? Man, that does not sound like fun for anyone. If anything, that is a recipe for gaming disaster. Going for the win shouldn't equate to cheap play. Even the good players don't mind engaging the enemy even though they know they are ahead in points with the game nearing a close. They realize that adds a kick to the game (for both players). Cheap wins do not support the gaming community. Solid tactics and good gamesmanship should.

It really depends on who you're using them on, when, which tactics you're using, and how. And you don't be an ass about it either.

Edit: And who says I want ugly cheap wins to be the only wins? I just admit to the feasibility of them existing, and being used situationally.

Sithborg wrote:
Exactly. I find it interesting that xpraider is using the banner of help the newbie, yet is not worried about these tactics. If anything, these experiences will kill their interest off faster than finding out that Obi is banned. Negative Play Experiences are the bane of any game, and I do not want this game to require them. The debate isn't whether the top players can adapt, it is how fun the enviroment is. And with the meta being the stalest it has been, can you really wonder why I don't want to play in Regionals this Gencon?

You're assuming I'd use them or advocate using them on a new player, and that I'd be an ass about it. Quite simply, you don't stomp all over a new player or a player just getting into the game. If I'm using any sort of tactic like lock out or anything like that it's because I'm at a disadvantage in the fight and need to even things up, or I'm going up against a very skilled player, or someone who's just an ass.

Edit: Those tactics exist with or without GOWK, to not acknowledge them is to invite folly when they come into play against you.

Partof1
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:41:10 PM

Those tactics do exist, but they are used a small amount of the time. With GOWK, the point he is trying to make, they become near th only options.
NoOb4LiFe
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 4:52:47 AM

I think its stupid. Why would we ban a figure now, its not like everyone can't get GOWK, He's about as broken as super-stealth was when it first came out or, when mas first came out and gave thrawn swap across the board.

Direct Damage is available for every army. and is the simplest way to beat him.

The only reason people want to ban him is because they are to lazy to try to come up with a competitive squad able to handle GOWK.

besides at the tournament held at my local store both GOWK squads didn't win, the new Luke did.

Why are we going to start banning pieces now we have been thru so many sets without banning pieces that ppl felt should be banned. now we are going to ban a piece from the starter set that was, near close to the only chance that new palyers had for winning a tournament.
mrtyler7
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 4:57:11 AM

NoOb4LiFe wrote:
I think its stupid. Why would we ban a figure now, its not like everyone can't get GOWK, He's about as broken as super-stealth was when it first came out or, when mas first came out and gave thrawn swap across the board.

Direct Damage is available for every army. and is the simplest way to beat him.

The only reason people want to ban him is because they are to lazy to try to come up with a competitive squad able to handle GOWK.

besides at the tournament held at my local store both GOWK squads didn't win, the new Luke did.

Why are we going to start banning pieces now we have been thru so many sets without banning pieces that ppl felt should be banned. now we are going to ban a piece from the starter set that was, near close to the only chance that new palyers had for winning a tournament.

Nothing like beating a dead horse. I think all the pro-ban guys have responded to these very arguments, and the anti-ban guys have responded to that response, and so on. Further, if you read all the pro-ban posts, I don't think they are saying he's unbeatable, they are just saying it limits tournament play to gowk squads and anti-gowk squads. Sure, it may be a slippery slope, but for now, keep using GOWK in private play, and we'll see what kind of variety we get in the tournament squads.

But please, lets not get started all over again. These points have been brought up OVER AND OVER again. Just read through the multiple 10+ page posts about GOWK on this and the other Star Wars Minis boards.
billiv15
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 5:01:35 AM

mrtyler7 wrote:

Nothing like beating a dead horse. I think all the pro-ban guys have responded to these very arguments, and the anti-ban guys have responded to that response, and so on. Further, if you read all the pro-ban posts, I don't think they are saying he's unbeatable, they are just saying it limits tournament play to gowk squads and anti-gowk squads. Sure, it may be a slippery slope, but for now, keep using GOWK in private play, and we'll see what kind of variety we get in the tournament squads.

But please, lets not get started all over again. These points have been brought up OVER AND OVER again. Just read through the multiple 10+ page posts about GOWK on this and the other Star Wars Minis boards.

QFT, very well said indeed.