RegisterDonateLogin

Does not grant you the rank of Master.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GOWK, the answer. Options
xpraider
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:19:27 AM
Groups: Member

billiv15 wrote:

As far as being "an option" it isn't an option if it won't work. The OR does have other options that are much better than Nomi, even if they still aren't great against GOWK. But discussing OR options would be better for another thread. The topic in this one is GOWK, and in that case, Nomi is not even a realistic option. Sure, you can choose to play her, but you can't expect to win against a decent opponent with it.

If you think me saying so is "overlording" or "stifling" that's your own problem. I am arguing on the merits of the squad and it isn't a personal attack. I've even explained several times why it won't work, and continuing to discuss it is off topic - if he wants to he should make his own thread.

With that said, I will leave the rabbit trail behind and let this get back on topic.

The discussion of OR options was led into from discussing options against GOWK. There was a statement made that removing GOWK's ability to use the Force was essentially pointless.

Quote:
Nor is getting rid of his access to force points all that significant anyways.

I stated that while the OR would still probably lose, getting rid of GOWK's ability to use the Force is not pointless, and a bunch of us started getting into a conversation about whether or not it really would be effective.

You hardly explained anything other than saying that it would lose and would be pointless to continue the discussion, and that we should then move on. Unless you made a point somewhere else on some other thread, which I haven't seen.

By the way, I am testing against GOWK against that OR squad. I've done 2 run throughs so far. First without severing, then with. Aside from some differences in luck, the OR has done about as I expected, and did better when I let Nomi Sever him. She did die, as expected, but I plan on making another couple of run throughs, and will make a few more with some other squads in which I will test out how well he does when he's unable to use the Force.

Make no mistake, I am still talking about GOWK, but right now it's in the context of possible counters.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:06:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

xpraider wrote:
I'm not trying to show how the OR could win, I'm trying to show how they could put up a fight. And in doing so I'm trying to see if they would do better against GOWK and Anti-GOWK or the meta without GOWK.

Like I said, the difficulty of pulling off a Sever, and the cost (leaving Nomi pretty much open to retaliation, likely killing her). There are pieces where that is a good trade off, but Obi is not one of them. Losing Nomi just to make Obi slightly easier to kill is just not worth it, imo.

And I think the answer is obvious. The OR would definately in the 1.5 tier now, extremely playable, with a couple surprise wins without the problems of Obi. Seriously, the top may still be restricted, but man, the 1.5 area floodgates will open.
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:13:19 AM

xpraider wrote:

Quote:

I stated that while the OR would still probably lose, getting rid of GOWK's ability to use the Force is not pointless, and a bunch of us started getting into a conversation about whether or not it really would be effective.

You hardly explained anything other than saying that it would lose and would be pointless to continue the discussion, and that we should then move on. Unless you made a point somewhere else on some other thread, which I haven't seen.

No, I said the above. And it's true, getting rid of Obi's FPs isn't significant. He still has a 50% chance to ignore any damage you put out and I also stated, several times now, that you are basically trading Nomi to try and pull it off. It isn't significant to winning a game (I should have added that caveat, but I thought it was obvious). Even if you manage to pull it off, you are trading Nomi for it, and that won't be enough to allow you to win, because now you are fighting a 150pt squad vs 200, or 100 vs 150, and all you have done is take away Obi's force, but he still has better parry and evade basically.

Do you understand now what I am saying? You are better off keeping your Nomi points and spending them on other OR or fringe options than trading Nomi for a chance at Sever. Going for the Sever will all but ensure the OR loses. At least with things like Atton Rand, or Mira, or Lucien you have a shot at surviving a few rounds and/or eliminating some of Obi's support. Nomi will do neither and therefore, will not help you win (in fact I am arguing that going for Sever actually helps you lose worse than if you had done something else), and therefore, getting rid of Obi's force isn't significant, as I stated the first time.

I am glad you are testing it now, because that makes these conversations much easier. What is clear in my head, isn't always easy to make clear to someone else without play experience, and even some times with it :). The major point being, that Obi's force isn't his primary defense or power. It adds to an already overpowered figure, but it isn't the main issue. Sure, technically removing his force makes him worse, that much is obvious. But this is a squad game and Obi always comes with a pumped up powerful squad. To win, you not only have to deal with Obi, but his support as well, and that's why Nomi would be a sacrifice as soon as she tries for Sever. Not to mention her odds of even getting it off without dying first are pretty low, and that Obi can often simply be towed away or just take the AoO since odds are you are outactivated.

With your 6 activation Revan squad, there is no way you are going to pull it off in tournament play, unless the opponent simply forgets Nomi has the ability, and rolls poorly where Nomi survives the oncoming assault when she moves into position.

Does that explain the problems better?
xpraider
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:45:41 AM

billiv15 wrote:
xpraider wrote:

Quote:

No, I said the above. And it's true, getting rid of Obi's FPs isn't significant. He still has a 50% chance to ignore any damage you put out and I also stated, several times now, that you are basically trading Nomi to try and pull it off. It isn't significant to winning a game (I should have added that caveat, but I thought it was obvious). Even if you manage to pull it off, you are trading Nomi for it, and that won't be enough to allow you to win, because now you are fighting a 150pt squad vs 200, or 100 vs 150, and all you have done is take away Obi's force, but he still has better parry and evade basically.

Do you understand now what I am saying? You are better off keeping your Nomi points and spending them on other OR or fringe options than trading Nomi for a chance at Sever. Going for the Sever will all but ensure the OR loses. At least with things like Atton Rand, or Mira, or Lucien you have a shot at surviving a few rounds and/or eliminating some of Obi's support. Nomi will do neither and therefore, will not help you win (in fact I am arguing that going for Sever actually helps you lose worse than if you had done something else), and therefore, getting rid of Obi's force isn't significant, as I stated the first time.

I am glad you are testing it now, because that makes these conversations much easier. What is clear in my head, isn't always easy to make clear to someone else without play experience, and even some times with it :). The major point being, that Obi's force isn't his primary defense or power. It adds to an already overpowered figure, but it isn't the main issue. Sure, technically removing his force makes him worse, that much is obvious. But this is a squad game and Obi always comes with a pumped up powerful squad. To win, you not only have to deal with Obi, but his support as well, and that's why Nomi would be a sacrifice as soon as she tries for Sever. Not to mention her odds of even getting it off without dying first are pretty low, and that Obi can often simply be towed away or just take the AoO since odds are you are outactivated.

With your 6 activation Revan squad, there is no way you are going to pull it off in tournament play, unless the opponent simply forgets Nomi has the ability, and rolls poorly where Nomi survives the oncoming assault when she moves into position.

Does that explain the problems better?

Yes, much better. And you made both of those statements. I think need to clear up what I'm saying and make it a bit more concise.

GOWK is an amazing piece and is ungodly good for his cost. There are things that can be done.

Against a Tier 1 squad, the Old Republic is going to be behind, and is at a significant disadvantage. Against GOWK, it gets even worse since he can pretty much prevent any damage they can throw at him, in addition to his commander effect. Against equally skilled players, an Old Republic squad is going to lose, aside from some bad luck on the part of the Tier 1 squad. Discussing them winning is pointless when they really can't win. It really isn't justified to try and measure their figures or abilities on how well they win, so the more appropriate measure is how much of a fight they can put up. Severing or Force Defensing GOWK are 2 things they can do. It won't win the game, but they won't get walked over completely. Severing isn't significant to winning the game, but it may be significant to the fight they can give.

Now that I've said that. Aside from the Old Republic, denying GOWK his use of the Force would be significant for the other factions trying to kill him that do have the support and can make Tier 1 squads.
Jester007
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:54:27 AM

I played in a 300 point tournament this past Saturday and this is what I brought:

Thrawn
Mas Amedda
Vader, Legacy of the Force
Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
Boba Fett, BH
Jarael
Admiral Ozzel
Lobot
4 181st Imperial Pilots

Lobot Reinforcements:

Wicket
4 Uggy Demolishionists

1st round was against:

GOWK
General Windu
Jarael
R2 Astro
Anakin Skywalker, Jedi
Boba Fett, BH
Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
Uggy Demolishionist
Genoharrdren Assasin
Mas Amedda

I ended up wiping out his whole squad and only losing 2 of my uggies by the 6th round. He came close to killing Vader, but by that point his Boba, R2, Windu, Twi'lek, and Jareal were already dead.

GOWK was the last to go because I just ignored him the whole time. He built up his FPs this whole time (so he has 8). He went through all of them in one round. The Double-Twinning from my Boba and the 181st pilots were just getting through to him too much and made him bleed his FPs.

GOWK is not that hard to beat. You don't neccessarily need to go after him. Yeah he is a great shield, but he doesn't have a lot of offensive capability. Kill his squad, and who cares about his CE at that point?

Sincerely,
Jester007
DrunkenMaster
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:40:08 PM

Jester007 wrote:
I played in a 300 point tournament this past Saturday and this is what I brought:

Thrawn
Mas Amedda
Vader, Legacy of the Force
Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
Boba Fett, BH
Jarael
Admiral Ozzel
Lobot
4 181st Imperial Pilots

Lobot Reinforcements:

Wicket
4 Uggy Demolishionists

1st round was against:

GOWK
General Windu
Jarael
R2 Astro
Anakin Skywalker, Jedi
Boba Fett, BH
Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
Uggy Demolishionist
Genoharrdren Assasin
Mas Amedda

I ended up wiping out his whole squad and only losing 2 of my uggies by the 6th round. He came close to killing Vader, but by that point his Boba, R2, Windu, Twi'lek, and Jareal were already dead.

GOWK was the last to go because I just ignored him the whole time. He built up his FPs this whole time (so he has 8). He went through all of them in one round. The Double-Twinning from my Boba and the 181st pilots were just getting through to him too much and made him bleed his FPs.

GOWK is not that hard to beat. You don't neccessarily need to go after him. Yeah he is a great shield, but he doesn't have a lot of offensive capability. Kill his squad, and who cares about his CE at that point?

Sincerely,
Jester007

Well, I certainly hope you would beat GOWK with 300 points of fire power bearing down on him. The question isn't so much that he's unkillable more than he's extremely difficult to beat when your squads are on an equal level, especially when the players are the same skill level. How good was your opponent that he had 245 points wiped by the 5th round?

Of course, crazy amounts of firepower can put GOWK down, but there's still a 50% chance nothing will hurt him short of direct damage.

mrroboto1968
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:39:04 PM

Unsure cant we all just?..........................get along?
mrroboto1968
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:44:35 PM

i am not trying to start an arguement here but what is the point of making a piece(gowk) if your going to turn around and possibly ban that piece from being played simply because (i am saying this because it seems that way from a few posters) some people cant stand to get beat by gowk every time they play against him.
mind you i am no way as near as good a player as alot of you are,i am merely making an innocent observation.
so please,please,PLEASE!!!! dont rip my head off and hand it to me with a response.
peace,love,and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUL!!!
owaller3
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:55:09 AM

Let's all just get real here for a minute. Everyone should know by now there are really only a couple of squads that have a chance at taking down GOWK and this squad is not one of them. No offense to anyone but come on. I am not the biggest fan of Billiv but this one is pain stakingly obvious. You are all welcome to play test this thing but if you want to spend your time more wisely you should consider playing one of the squads that can work. I would love nothing more than to have OR work but at this point in time it won't so lets move on.
RannKonnar
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:19:26 AM

The answer to one of GOWK's weaknessess:
Force Powers.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:10:14 AM

mrroboto1968 wrote:
i am not trying to start an arguement here but what is the point of making a piece(gowk) if your going to turn around and possibly ban that piece from being played simply because (i am saying this because it seems that way from a few posters) some people cant stand to get beat by gowk every time they play against him.
mind you i am no way as near as good a player as alot of you are,i am merely making an innocent observation.
so please,please,PLEASE!!!! dont rip my head off and hand it to me with a response.
peace,love,and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUL!!!

Well quite simply, that just isn't true. It has nothing to do with "can't stand to get beat...." It has to do with what is good for the game and good for the community. GOWK restricts things too far, and the game will suffer if that restriction is left in place for too long. Players get bored, and if they are bored too long, they start playing other games. Broken pieces kill games if they are left in place for tournaments for too long - or at least stop people from playing tournaments because they don't like to play every game against the same 2-3 squad designs.

I really wish people would stop saying is has something to do with our inability to beat GOWK. That really isn't the issue, and it isn't even on the radar. Its the exact opposite actually. I know what it takes to beat GOWK, and the only two viable answers are not good for the game. Those answers are, GOWK hate squads - generally big direct damage force powers, and a highly mobile squad that uses tactics that I bet most of you would despise if it became popular at your LGS - kill support, run and hide from GOWK until time. That's it. That's what the game becomes if GOWK stays. JA would have almost no effect on the meta if he remains. Saddly, the same would probably be true for future sets as well. That's the problem. We know what it takes to beat it, and it isn't enough to keep the game viable as a tournament game. Therefore, you do what every tournament game does when they see this kind of super restriction, you ban the piece responsible for it.
menothsfire
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:42:20 AM

dnemiller wrote:
menothsfire wrote:

SO IT IS WRITTEN! SO SHALL IT BE!!

Billiv has handed down his edict upon the cowering masses! You will not discuss the possibilities that OR have against GOWK no matter how unlikely!!You will NEVER get off a sever! EVER!!!!!1!!!!111!!!!! You will no longer discuss this!!! This "side track" is unpleasing to his Lordship!!!!

RollEyes At no point dis he claim that it would be a likely strategy; just that it is one of the few option open to OR for anti-GOWK; even if it isn't a good one.

Oh Great it is the White knight of Judgment.

You talk about Bill's post hilarious!!!!

The only time you ever post on any forum is when you have decided that they need a good tongue lashing for their crimes. Making yourself Judge over the communities. What do you really do online to help anyone.... oh wait you have posted your pics of your imperial army for all of us to admire. Nothing better than an egotistical judge.

Go ahead after my post I am sure you will be judging me...... This is like freakin Judge Dredd.

I only post:
1) When I get enough PMs asking to update my pix.
2) On impulse. I get fed up seeing the same crap over and over. I still read the forums everyday and I play SWM as much now (if not more) as when RS came out, yet I've become increasing reserved in my post counts since a handful of people decided to choke off discussion and devolve said discussion into argument. And, no, I don't see the irony in stifling someone who is restricting conversation - it's rediculous to suggest that that is the same thing.

P.S. For the record: expect a couple of articles from me in the near future: XP and I have been spending months working on a planetary map campaign and I've made a pretty top-notch, scratch-built Marauder-class Corvette for our RPG.

P.P.S. again, no kidding Nomi sucks against GOWK... that has never been the point.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:15:24 AM

menothsfire wrote:
since a handful of people decided to choke off discussion and devolve said discussion into argument. And, no, I don't see the irony in stifling someone who is restricting conversation - it's rediculous to suggest that that is the same thing.

Yep, that's clearly all I do ever.... What a load of crap. In case you hadn't noticed (which you should since you say you read all of the boards all the time) I am not posting on wotC any longer. But I don't see you over there helping new players, offering advice on squads, answering questions, or any of the things I used to do. Yet here you are calling me out as if that was your job.... Lol, Hilarious!
Uggie Demo
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:34:09 AM

Did he gettted banned??? I thought we were sposed to know by now?
xpraider
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:16:44 AM

billiv15 wrote:
menothsfire wrote:
since a handful of people decided to choke off discussion and devolve said discussion into argument. And, no, I don't see the irony in stifling someone who is restricting conversation - it's rediculous to suggest that that is the same thing.

Yep, that's clearly all I do ever.... What a load of crap. In case you hadn't noticed (which you should since you say you read all of the boards all the time) I am not posting on wotC any longer. But I don't see you over there helping new players, offering advice on squads, answering questions, or any of the things I used to do. Yet here you are calling me out as if that was your job.... Lol, Hilarious!

Some people enjoy different aspects of the game and have different time restrictions and other responsibilities. You enjoy helping with rules questions, good for you and I appreciate you having done that. While choking off discussion may not be ALL you do, it certainly seems to be a big part of it lately. And it's not just you, it seems like someone will start talking about it, some others will jump in on it, and then someone will try to jump in and steamroll the conversation.

So then, back to GOWK. He is still a pretty blasted hard nut to crack. But I'm beginning to think that just trying to break through Soresu and killing him (or just killing everyone else first) may not be the best way to go (for some factions anyway).

Now, before someone jumps in on what I'm about to say, please realize that I'm saying this for everyone whose reading these forums. I don't expect this to be completely brand new for everyone here. On a whim I played him against that OR squad again, but I tested it without him having his CE, and the battle went the other way completely (there were some lucky, and rather unlucky rolls). Compared to the other games, despite the rolls, the battle was tough, but GOWK didn't really add anything for the Republic squad other than getting in the way of the OR, which he did quite well. It really came down to the loss of the +4/+4 that changed the game around and made hitting Nomi and Revan that much harder for the Republic squad. To the point that GOWK was really only able to act as a meat shield.

Which brings me to my point. Without his CE, GOWK is really limited in how much he can contribute to the squad. He can't easily be hurt, but at the same time he's a 55 point figure pumping out at most (not counting crits) 40 damage per round. Thus, the Rebels and New Republic have a way of dealing with him on a more indirect basis through Disruptive.

FYI, the Republic build was GOWK, Dash RS, Rex, JWM, Doombot, CLObot, Panaka, Mas, and an Ugnaught. I don't have much of JA yet, but if you have a suggestion for a better GOWK build, I'll try it out.
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:48:28 AM

@Xp

The problem is that Gowk got erratta'd in to the monster he is today. Tons of posters and I mean tons of them have had some great ideas on how to balance him. There are tons of ways to do it. The problem here is that Rob has shown ZERO (I MEAN A BIG FAT ZERO) interest in changing him or fixing him. Rob has previously stated that he was not interested in going back and redesigning a figure. But then again when he first talked about the special ability twin at Gencon he said he could not picture giving it to any other faction other than mainly the rebels. A year or 2 later you suddenly have the czerka scientist..... so what gives?????

I think everyone hoping he will get fixed is admirable but until someone gets Rob's attention it is not going to happen. This is one of the reasons I fully support the ban. That is the only way the players can put the ball back in Rob's court so to speak and say HEY FIX THIS HE IS BROKEN. Then it is all of him to get that done.

If Rob read all of this discussion over Gowk and changed him tommorrow to something reasonable then I would not want him banned. But then again we still have to hear word one regarding the total lack of Quality Control on their cards. The only time they have jumped on the oh we screwed up bandwagon wa when the goof up with the 181st pilot occurred. We all know why that happened because someone at Lucas jumped their butts about it.
xpraider
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:15:13 PM

dnemiller wrote:
@Xp

The problem is that Gowk got erratta'd in to the monster he is today. Tons of posters and I mean tons of them have had some great ideas on how to balance him. There are tons of ways to do it. The problem here is that Rob has shown ZERO (I MEAN A BIG FAT ZERO) interest in changing him or fixing him. Rob has previously stated that he was not interested in going back and redesigning a figure. But then again when he first talked about the special ability twin at Gencon he said he could not picture giving it to any other faction other than mainly the rebels. A year or 2 later you suddenly have the czerka scientist..... so what gives?????

I think everyone hoping he will get fixed is admirable but until someone gets Rob's attention it is not going to happen. This is one of the reasons I fully support the ban. That is the only way the players can put the ball back in Rob's court so to speak and say HEY FIX THIS HE IS BROKEN. Then it is all of him to get that done.

If Rob read all of this discussion over Gowk and changed him tommorrow to something reasonable then I would not want him banned. But then again we still have to hear word one regarding the total lack of Quality Control on their cards. The only time they have jumped on the oh we screwed up bandwagon wa when the goof up with the 181st pilot occurred. We all know why that happened because someone at Lucas jumped their butts about it.

True, he did get errata'd into it, but apparently how he is now is how he was supposed to have been from the start. I'm not really sure why he made him as nasty as he did. At this point I would prefer it if he wasn't as powerful as he is.

What I do know however is that this really isn't the first time a figure came out and pretty much singlehandedly changed the way the game was played, and we ended up having to just play through it. I'm curious about your opinion on the subject (not that I mean to take a huge tangent here) about whether in the context of the first 4-5 sets whether Thrawn was broken as well, maybe I'll start a new thread about it if it looks like the conversation might go somewhere.

What worries me more than anything else though is the recent drop in quality and increase in card errors. Part of that may be due to WOTC's ability to proofread and need to deal with the economy, but it does bring up the question of whether or not it is extending into the development as well. If it is and that led to GOWK, then maybe a ban is necessary. If on the other hand, this was planned as a way of restructuring aspects of the game and redefining the way the game is played, then banning him will leave a hole in part of the gameplay that GOWK was meant to fill.

Looking at the last few sets since the 40 pieces started coming out, we've seen a significant increase in the number of low cost figures with direct damage and the overall direct damage ability of force users in general. There's also been a rise in damage mitigation from regular damage. This is especially true in JA with the Disciples of Ragnos, the Felucians, Plageius, and etc, which in an age of mobile, GOWK and Evade are probably one of the easiest and quickest ways to do it.

It almost seems like Rob wants the game to give more significance to direct damage and Force Powers. But I don't know for sure, I don't have a direct line to him. I'm expecting that by the time GAW comes out we'll have devised ways to more or less neutralize him and, while he'll continue to be a powerful piece, his overall impact will be more akin to what Thrawn is now.
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:43:26 PM

well to be honest I did not find Thrawn as big of a problem.

His CE was amazing and all but he was more of a finesse piece to be honest. To this day folks still have trouble running him correctly. His power always came from a squad concept.

Gowk... while having a similar CE. He is dangerous because as a piece his is near impossible to get rid of. Thrawn while being a pain once you can target him you can kill him. When that happens you rid your opponent of their CE. Gowk being such a pain to kill means his CE stick around the board for a long time.

I guess that is the funny part about people saying you guys are just whining. Well if we are considered some of the better players (that is others call not mine) and using a normal squad I can keep most of my pieces alive why would Gowk make things harder for me? He actually makes my life very easy. Winning becomes much easier for me (even when facing another Gwok squad). This is simply because there is no wildcard factor. I know what is going to happen and how. I find that Gowk makes life easier for the better players. I dont think Thrawn effected the MEta quite the same. It was similar enough but because he was a finesse piece you did not run into the problems that exist with Gowk.

I know this much if Gowk is left as is in the Meta and not banned. I will literally quit buying cases because it will be the biggest waste of my money possible. I will play but not as much because Gowk gets boring whether using him or facing him. I will probably focus on other games and devote time elsewhere. The problem there is I dont want to have to do that. I want the game to grow. I feel sometimes a bit of anger over the fact Rob refuses to take a second look at Gowk..... they know there is a problem with him I can tell you that. My guess is the delay in the floor rules is because they are trying to come up with a last second solution.... but they have had 8 months to do that.
xpraider
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:20:17 PM

dnemiller wrote:
well to be honest I did not find Thrawn as big of a problem.

His CE was amazing and all but he was more of a finesse piece to be honest. To this day folks still have trouble running him correctly. His power always came from a squad concept.

Gowk... while having a similar CE. He is dangerous because as a piece his is near impossible to get rid of. Thrawn while being a pain once you can target him you can kill him. When that happens you rid your opponent of their CE. Gowk being such a pain to kill means his CE stick around the board for a long time.

I guess that is the funny part about people saying you guys are just whining. Well if we are considered some of the better players (that is others call not mine) and using a normal squad I can keep most of my pieces alive why would Gowk make things harder for me? He actually makes my life very easy. Winning becomes much easier for me (even when facing another Gwok squad). This is simply because there is no wildcard factor. I know what is going to happen and how. I find that Gowk makes life easier for the better players. I dont think Thrawn effected the MEta quite the same. It was similar enough but because he was a finesse piece you did not run into the problems that exist with Gowk.

I know this much if Gowk is left as is in the Meta and not banned. I will literally quit buying cases because it will be the biggest waste of my money possible. I will play but not as much because Gowk gets boring whether using him or facing him. I will probably focus on other games and devote time elsewhere. The problem there is I dont want to have to do that. I want the game to grow. I feel sometimes a bit of anger over the fact Rob refuses to take a second look at Gowk..... they know there is a problem with him I can tell you that. My guess is the delay in the floor rules is because they are trying to come up with a last second solution.... but they have had 8 months to do that.

Thrawn was definitely more of a finesse piece, but if we're talking experienced players v experienced players, he could have just as much of an impact, and there were a lot less ways of dealing with Thrawn when Universe came out then there are now, and it was a lot easier to protect him and keep him away from shooters since there were only a few accurate shooters and any Force User that tried to get close was basically nerfed.

GOWK is definitely a lot more forgiving than Thrawn was though. A Thrawn screw up might leave him in a position to get killed, especially now. While a GOWK screw up doesn't necessarily mean death for GOWK. I suppose you could say that Thrawn traded a stronger effect for less survivability.

At this point I'd have to say my disagreement with you and some of the others isn't that GOWK is or isn't broken, as much as whether the benefits outweigh the risks of banning him. If there were no real way of dealing with him and what he does, and it didn't look like there was even any attempt to change that, I might be more inclined to agree with you regarding the ban. But as I see it now, there are more ways of dealing with GOWK now than there were for Thrawn, there are more figures coming out that will deal with him, and while he makes the game more predictable, he also makes the game easier for new players to build a squad and learn the game (I'm gonna elaborate on this one a bit more).

I'd say there are 3 basic groups of players for SWM; Incoming Players, Current Players, and Outgoing Players. In order for the game to keep going, some combination of increasing the ability for new players to join, keeping Current Players interested, and making changes to make the Outgoing Players Incoming Players are really what they need to do. If the current pool of players has shrunk, then they need to bring in new players. With something around 700 figures, a new player trying to get in and compete with well established players is a pretty high plateau. Putting a truly powerful figure like GOWK in the starter, and most of the pieces he would work with in the newest set brings down the initial investment needed to get in. I'm guessing WOTC is banking on this to get more people involved in the game. Now the meta as it stands is much more restricted since GOWK came in, but if it means the game can have more staying power by allowing GOWK to exist and us adjusting to the changes in the meta it may be worth it until the sets continues to the point where GOWK's influence is lessened.

I can tell you right now that at least at my venue, there are more people playing and more people getting interested in the game. GOWK is probably going to be one of the pieces that they can use to build a squad to start with and get playing earlier.
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:28:16 PM

It's hard to make a decision when you have so many people saying, "This is the answer!" I have not kept up with the arguments on how and why to fix the problem but I have seen several how's and several why's and even many leave it alone arguments. With no concise data to make a decision on they are basically going to have to go on the whim of who is complaining the loudest. From my experience of playing games that is never a good way to make a decision.

I personally would like to see the least invasive fix. I posted on WoTC I prefer to see some errata rather than a ban. The Sorensu seems to be the problem so how well would changing the success from an 11 to say 15 or 16 help? GOWK still has a CE well worth his 55 and taking away his success at avoiding damage from 50% + mettle to 25% + mettle would drain the FPs much faster making his survival rate lower. The ability would still be great at 55 pts but not be overwhelming that he would be unstoppable even with shooters or melee.

All I know is I'm glad I'm not in Rob's shoes when a decision has to be handed down Woot