RegisterDonateLogin

Is as precise as Imperial Stormtroopers.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GOWK, the answer. Options
Tirade
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:36:03 PM
Groups: Member

xpraider wrote:

I'd say there are 3 basic groups of players for SWM; Incoming Players, Current Players, and Outgoing Players. In order for the game to keep going, some combination of increasing the ability for new players to join, keeping Current Players interested, and making changes to make the Outgoing Players Incoming Players are really what they need to do. If the current pool of players has shrunk, then they need to bring in new players. With something around 700 figures, a new player trying to get in and compete with well established players is a pretty high plateau. Putting a truly powerful figure like GOWK in the starter, and most of the pieces he would work with in the newest set brings down the initial investment needed to get in. I'm guessing WOTC is banking on this to get more people involved in the game. Now the meta as it stands is much more restricted since GOWK came in, but if it means the game can have more staying power by allowing GOWK to exist and us adjusting to the changes in the meta it may be worth it until the sets continues to the point where GOWK's influence is lessened.

I can tell you right now that at least at my venue, there are more people playing and more people getting interested in the game. GOWK is probably going to be one of the pieces that they can use to build a squad to start with and get playing earlier.

This is just an illusion for newer, incoming players. Sure, GOWK is easy to acquire. And yes, he makes squad building easier for such newer players. They can plug and play with GOWK. However, he encourages sloppy play. You admitted he is a more forgiving piece. Well that certainly isn't going to make these new players think very strategically if GOWK squads can allow for more game mistakes. What's even worse, the players will soon find the game is basically GOWK vs Anti-GOWK. Instead of fielding a wide variety of SW characters, they realize the game is limited to a small handful (even smaller than normal DCI play). To add even more insult, the new JA pieces make little difference on the GOWK problem. If anything, GOWK diminishes the value of the new JA pieces. Those same, new players then realize it's pointless to buy new set minis. Why? Because they already have what they need from past sets and the starter.

If you honestly believe GOWK is good for the game, more power to you. I see a stranglehold taking place. One that could threaten to ruin the game for a looooong time.
xpraider
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:12:04 PM

Tirade wrote:

This is just an illusion for newer, incoming players. Sure, GOWK is easy to acquire. And yes, he makes squad building easier for such newer players. They can plug and play with GOWK. However, he encourages sloppy play. You admitted he is a more forgiving piece. Well that certainly isn't going to make these new players think very strategically if GOWK squads can allow for more game mistakes. What's even worse, the players will soon find the game is basically GOWK vs Anti-GOWK. Instead of fielding a wide variety of SW characters, they realize the game is limited to a small handful (even smaller than normal DCI play). To add even more insult, the new JA pieces make little difference on the GOWK problem. If anything, GOWK diminishes the value of the new JA pieces. Those same, new players then realize it's pointless to buy new set minis. Why? Because they already have what they need from past sets and the starter.

If you honestly believe GOWK is good for the game, more power to you. I see a stranglehold taking place. One that could threaten to ruin the game for a looooong time.

Assuming I'm correct in that assessment, GOWK is acting as a foot in the door for new players. Sloppy play is a given, even without GOWK. And because the more skilled players will already know how to deal with GOWK, the new players will either have to learn how to win with GOWK correctly, or win with an Anti-GOWK. It may take a while for strategy to really come into the game, but in order for the new players to consistently win, especially after the established player base has figured out how to beat him consistently, they will have to learn strategy. Some figures make some strategical thinking unnecessary as it is. Palpatine makes Imperial players not have to worry about running out of Force for the entire squad. At least GOWK's defensive ability only works for himself. By the time they get beyond the basics of gameplay and have enough figures to really branch out, new options may be available.

It honestly may take a couple of sets for GOWK to truly have hit his balance point. It took 3-4 for Thrawn to be meaningfully handled, and not even more powered up. It wasn't until BH that disruptive came out, AE with Luke's Landspeeder and NTMTO, and Force Unleashed with Dodonna, more disruptive, and the MTB.

As far as effective pieces in JA (going by stats), the possibilities include: JBM, Jedi Exile, Darth Plageius, Sith Apprentice, Sidious, Sith Lord, Dark Woman, GMY, Disciple of Ragnos, Anakin Solo, Cade Skywalker, EJA, GMLS, Kol, Kyle CI, Leia Skywalker, R4, and the 3 Vong.

Each of these pieces has either some form of direct damage, or an ability that can be useful against a GOWK Squad.

The Exile gives extra attack and has repulse (though to be honest, the repulse is probably not as good as other options), the JBM is similar to the JWM, and will be useful against a lot, except for GOWK himself. Plageius not only has corruption, but essence of life, making his allies survive a lot longer. The Apprentice and Lord both have a direct damage ability that goes up in value when added to holosidious. Sidious himself has the swap and lightning, the Dark Woman is just good, with her ability to phase through walls and get towards the opponents backfield, GMY can Defense against GOWK, his CE is almost as good, and he can do a lot more damage than GOWK can.
The Disciples are excellent with Direct Damage, and with the support of the Imperial Faction should be great. Anakin has cheap push and Unleash, he's like his brother only better, and is even better when you consider the other figures the NR has now. Cade is a bit fragile, but the heal and essence of life is great support for other NR figures. Pretty much the same could be said for Leia, except she can also Force Absorb. EJA, again with Push, and Impulsive JH can have it's uses. GMLS can simply overwhelm him with attacks or just Force Defense his rerolls. Kol again has push, and is just a nasty figure overall, Kyle CI provides Disruptive to stop his CE. R4 can help negate some of GOWK's CE, and the Vong of course don't allow him to reroll.
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:51:07 PM

@Xp

I get what you are saying about newer player and being able to use Gowk immediately to be effective. But on the other hand I think that is a double edged sword.

I have seen many new players come and go over the years. One of the biggest things that always held them back in the beginning is the lack of figures. But this also created a desire to spend some money on boosters and increase their collections. Gowk almost takes that desire away. I mean really if things become Gowk vs Anti-Gowk.... they really are not going to be seeing the entire realm of figures that can be played. So in turn they dont ever have a huge desire to buy more than a few figures.

I have also seen newer players get disinterested in the game. Well how much quicker will that happen when it seems like they are seeing the same squads week in week out.
So then that could have a negative effect.

I also think that an entire learning curve gets missed when new players get a piece like this. I know some people dont care about that but as a father I do. I want my kids to have to work at anything to get better. I want them to do math in their head. Most of all I want them to learn to critically think. Being a retired law enforcement officer I cannot tell you how many times the ability to critically think actually saved lives. That kind of thought process must begin somewhere.

Understand I am not making this post to argue with you or try to show you up. I am making this post because it is a counter to your point. Both are viable and plausible outcomes. Both must be considered when making the decision to ban,
Doogle126
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:13:53 PM

Sigh, I read through 8 pages of this Crap. I don't leave much to chance, so i just use Lord Vader and some Diciples of Ragnos. Now thatll kick some GOWK @**BigGrin
xpraider
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:56:40 PM

dnemiller wrote:
@Xp

I get what you are saying about newer player and being able to use Gowk immediately to be effective. But on the other hand I think that is a double edged sword.

I have seen many new players come and go over the years. One of the biggest things that always held them back in the beginning is the lack of figures. But this also created a desire to spend some money on boosters and increase their collections. Gowk almost takes that desire away. I mean really if things become Gowk vs Anti-Gowk.... they really are not going to be seeing the entire realm of figures that can be played. So in turn they dont ever have a huge desire to buy more than a few figures.

I have also seen newer players get disinterested in the game. Well how much quicker will that happen when it seems like they are seeing the same squads week in week out.
So then that could have a negative effect.

I also think that an entire learning curve gets missed when new players get a piece like this. I know some people dont care about that but as a father I do. I want my kids to have to work at anything to get better. I want them to do math in their head. Most of all I want them to learn to critically think. Being a retired law enforcement officer I cannot tell you how many times the ability to critically think actually saved lives. That kind of thought process must begin somewhere.

Understand I am not making this post to argue with you or try to show you up. I am making this post because it is a counter to your point. Both are viable and plausible outcomes. Both must be considered when making the decision to ban,

I agree with you. It can be a double edged sword in that way, and in the end we may both end up being right (assuming GOWK isn't banned). More people entering, but more people dropping out. It's a matter of getting to that happy medium in which people can get in the game without having to pay several hundred dollars up front, but enticing enough that once they're in, they want to keep buying. A learning curve easy enough to get into, but with a top that requires honed skills to really get good at.

There will be some players that regardless of the ease of getting into or the learning curve will either buy it up or get one thing and drop it entirely, and some that will go along the learning curve, and those that never will get that good no matter what.

My hope, is that GOWK's effect will help bring new players in, but his greater effect on the game will only last a little while before something comes along that really balances him out.

The other question is whether new players will really bother with the game if one of the starter pieces is banned. As hard as the game is to get into at the moment, does banning him make it that much harder since now players aren't getting as much out of the starter. Plus it makes the sell of the game a little harder when you have to explain to a potential player "You need to buy a starter set, which will give you the rule book, dice, some counters, and a map. Even though it comes with some figures, you can't use the obi-wan in there for the tournaments and will need to pick up approximately a case of boosters to get something playable.

At this point this feels more like a discussion about the subject rather than an argument, and the weight of each matter really matters. I wish I knew why GOWK was made the way he was instead of having to speculate, and I wish there was a better way to predict what will happen.
Tirade
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:57:12 PM

xpraider wrote:
Tirade wrote:

Assuming I'm correct in that assessment, GOWK is acting as a foot in the door for new players. Sloppy play is a given, even without GOWK. And because the more skilled players will already know how to deal with GOWK, the new players will either have to learn how to win with GOWK correctly, or win with an Anti-GOWK. It may take a while for strategy to really come into the game, but in order for the new players to consistently win, especially after the established player base has figured out how to beat him consistently, they will have to learn strategy. Some figures make some strategical thinking unnecessary as it is. Palpatine makes Imperial players not have to worry about running out of Force for the entire squad. At least GOWK's defensive ability only works for himself. By the time they get beyond the basics of gameplay and have enough figures to really branch out, new options may be available.

It honestly may take a couple of sets for GOWK to truly have hit his balance point. It took 3-4 for Thrawn to be meaningfully handled, and not even more powered up. It wasn't until BH that disruptive came out, AE with Luke's Landspeeder and NTMTO, and Force Unleashed with Dodonna, more disruptive, and the MTB.

As far as effective pieces in JA (going by stats), the possibilities include: JBM, Jedi Exile, Darth Plageius, Sith Apprentice, Sidious, Sith Lord, Dark Woman, GMY, Disciple of Ragnos, Anakin Solo, Cade Skywalker, EJA, GMLS, Kol, Kyle CI, Leia Skywalker, R4, and the 3 Vong.

Each of these pieces has either some form of direct damage, or an ability that can be useful against a GOWK Squad.

The Exile gives extra attack and has repulse (though to be honest, the repulse is probably not as good as other options), the JBM is similar to the JWM, and will be useful against a lot, except for GOWK himself. Plageius not only has corruption, but essence of life, making his allies survive a lot longer. The Apprentice and Lord both have a direct damage ability that goes up in value when added to holosidious. Sidious himself has the swap and lightning, the Dark Woman is just good, with her ability to phase through walls and get towards the opponents backfield, GMY can Defense against GOWK, his CE is almost as good, and he can do a lot more damage than GOWK can.
The Disciples are excellent with Direct Damage, and with the support of the Imperial Faction should be great. Anakin has cheap push and Unleash, he's like his brother only better, and is even better when you consider the other figures the NR has now. Cade is a bit fragile, but the heal and essence of life is great support for other NR figures. Pretty much the same could be said for Leia, except she can also Force Absorb. EJA, again with Push, and Impulsive JH can have it's uses. GMLS can simply overwhelm him with attacks or just Force Defense his rerolls. Kol again has push, and is just a nasty figure overall, Kyle CI provides Disruptive to stop his CE. R4 can help negate some of GOWK's CE, and the Vong of course don't allow him to reroll.

I should have been more specific on the sloppy play. GOWK doesn't encourage growth as a player. If the new player starts out sloppy (which isn't hard to believe), what reason does he have to improve if GOWK is carrying him?

As for the more established players, they are more than willing to abuse GOWK. While the sloppy play might allow the new player some success, it won't cut it against the established players. If they get frustrated (which they very well might), what do they have to turn to? Direct damage? Those squads take precision and skill to run. If the new player has been running GOWK and relying on him, I highly doubt the counter squads are going to be run well. So they are basically stuck and most likely discouraged. How long will they try to learn strategy? Some people just don't have the patience to learn. And if they are losing, it can get even worse.

In regards to the IE Palpatine example, it's a rather poor one. There is not an unlimited supply of FPs. Any player can use those up in a hurry. The good ones figure out where and when to use Palps' FPs. You can't just keep spending Palpatine's FPs on attack re-rolls and such. It is far worse with GOWK and his CE. GOWK simply makes the game even more of a deception for the newer player. Talk about not having to think. Even for newer players, it isn't particularly difficult to keep 1 ally within 6. Also, why would they bother with newer figures when the same ole GOWK squad can carry them? A new player could purchase around $60 worth of minis (Starter, Rex, Dash, R2, Uggies) and be set. That player has absolutely no reason to buy another piece unless it's Republic or Fringe. GOWK is such an illusion that he/she doesn't believe they need to branch out.

Sure, Rob might be looking to balance GOWK in future sets. But that is a problem too. We have no idea if and when that will happen. For newer players, that's over a year down the road. By that time, they might be fed up and bored with the game. With Thrawn, it most certainly did NOT take 3-4 sets for him to be "handled." His true power wasn't unleashed until CotF. Even then, the swap strategy took a long time for players to understand. Plus players learned the strategy of counting squares and keeping their distance. Tempo control became a good counter too (looking at San). Of course just 2 sets after CotF, Rob released a direct counter (which I'd argue wasn't even needed). So that's hardly 3-4 sets to balance out Thrawn. BTW, Dodonna (another Tempo Control piece) was released in Legacy.

In respect to your effective JA pieces, there are a few decent ones that you listed. Not all, though, amount to much in a GOWK run meta. Here's my humble assessment:

JBM - A JWM clone for a weaker faction. A step in the right direction, but hardly a counter against a good GOWK squad. The shooters will rip the JBM into pieces.

The Jedi Exile - The CE is fantastic, but pales when most of those shots are either missing the opposition (thanks to GOWK's CE) or being absorbed by GOWK.

Darth Plagueis - While I love his Corruption, he is going to be eaten alive by shooters. The only movement breaker to help him is Palpatine's swap. However, that little combo costs 120. Not a true solution.

Sith Apprentice - Probably the first real threat you listed. A ranged FP that can do Direct damage is nice. My only caveat - squads with Barriss Offee and Luminara. That damage could be easily healed away thanks to Barriss.

Darth Sidious, SM - The swapping option is certainly a nice idea. However, it looses its luster without direct damage or Overwhelming Force. That's one reason Lord Vader swaps are so popular. Fortunately the Apprentice and Lord are solid Pawn and Swap options.

Sith Lord - Again, another decent option you listed. Probably best in a swap squad with Sid. That's a real threat against GOWK IMHO. The one problem though is the lack of Force Renewal if you go the swapping route. No Holo Sid.

Dark Woman - All I see here is another thorn in the GOWK run meta. She can help eliminate a key commander that might be hiding (Rieekan, Dodonna, Ozzel, perhaps Thrawn). Just another GOWK toy to use.

Grand Master Yoda - I love his offensive kick. Still, I don't see how he does much against a GOWK squad. Plus GOWK's CE dwarfs Yoda's. Also, why in the world would Yoda be Force Defensing GOWK (if that's what you meant)? What a waste of FPs. While GOWK is around, I don't see myself using this piece.

Disciple of Ragnos - Finally, another viable piece you listed. This guy will probably do best when teamed with Thrawn. He desperately needs that movement breaker.

Anakin Solo - I'll buy into Unleash the Force and Force Push making this piece a good option against GOWK. Keep in mind, though, you will have to run Wedge with Anakin. Otherwise he'll never have a chance.

Cade Skywalker - I do admit, he will keep the direct damage users alive. But that's about it. If I am the GOWK player, I go directly for Cade. He probably won't last any more than 2 rounds after the bullets start to fly.

EJA - Like the Disciple, another decent possibility. But again, you better be running Wedge with this guy. If you don't, the EJA will drop like a sack of potatoes.

GMLS - Okay, I love Luke. However, I'm having a hard time seeing what he offers against GOWK. If I am the GOWK player, I will gladly engage Luke with GOWK. While he's busy trying to dent GOWK, the support can destroy what little Luke has with him. The cost alone makes me question his validity as a good counter. Also, Force Defensing a re-roll is a total waste of FPs. There are far better uses for those FPs.

Kol - If it weren't for his Force Push, I'd say he's another wash. Thankfully he does have a form of direct damage.

Kyle CI - I'm not seeing him doing much. His CE is worthless against a GOWK shooter squad. Not to mention he will have a difficult time against those same shooters.

Leia - She'll keep squads alive longer, but I am not sure how she directly affects GOWK. She's a step up from Kyle, but certainly not a great counter.

R4 - This droid is a good way to counter GOWK's CE. That's at least how I see it.

Vong - Again, how do they fare against the GOWK shooter squads? I can't imagine all that well.

That's my assessment of JA. I see, maybe, 8 pieces that do much anything against him. With GOWK, the game becomes a battle of 4 factions - the Republic, the Rebels, the Empire and the New Republic. Three of those four have access to swap to augment Direct Damage squads. Two of the four have Evade to counter the shooters and keep the damage dealers alive. And obviously the Republic has access to GOWK and every other Republic toy. The other factions don't have much going IMHO. That is very sad. Last time I checked, the game had 9 factions (10 if you count Fringe).

xpraider
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:06:55 PM

Tirade wrote:

I should have been more specific on the sloppy play. GOWK doesn't encourage growth as a player. If the new player starts out sloppy (which isn't hard to believe), what reason does he have to improve if GOWK is carrying him?

In a lot of games there usually is a faction or army that is a bit for forgiving in play style, which allows new players to get involved. That doesn't mean that they'll win, but be able to join in and play. The reason a new player has to improve sloppy play is the same reason any new player has to learn to play smarter, and a couple of others.
1) Loss to a more experienced player. Even with GOWK, they'll lose and will have to learn in order to win with him.

2) Randomness. Unless they're buying singles, anyone getting into the game are going to get several pieces aren't going to be Republic. They may come across other pieces they want to play.

Tirade wrote:

As for the more established players, they are more than willing to abuse GOWK. While the sloppy play might allow the new player some success, it won't cut it against the established players. If they get frustrated (which they very well might), what do they have to turn to? Direct damage? Those squads take precision and skill to run. If the new player has been running GOWK and relying on him, I highly doubt the counter squads are going to be run well. So they are basically stuck and most likely discouraged. How long will they try to learn strategy? Some people just don't have the patience to learn. And if they are losing, it can get even worse.

That really depends on the player. With GOWK, new players have a way of fighting that can be forgiving enough to help them catch up, without they start out sucking and have to work their way up. In any serious tournament it's going to take a while for them to truly learn the game, whether they've got GOWK or not especially if they're going up against some serious competition. And depending on the player, playing against a squad can be a very good learning tool on how to run it.

Tirade wrote:

In regards to the IE Palpatine example, it's a rather poor one. There is not an unlimited supply of FPs. Any player can use those up in a hurry. The good ones figure out where and when to use Palps' FPs. You can't just keep spending Palpatine's FPs on attack re-rolls and such.

It's not a perfect example, but it isn't a bad one either. Having Palps, or FR in general means that players have to be less concerned with FP management. If you've ever played Warmachine and consider Force Points to be akin to Focus, management of Force is nothing with renewal.

Tirade wrote:
It is far worse with GOWK and his CE. GOWK simply makes the game even more of a deception for the newer player. Talk about not having to think. Even for newer players, it isn't particularly difficult to keep 1 ally within 6. Also, why would they bother with newer figures when the same ole GOWK squad can carry them? A new player could purchase around $60 worth of minis (Starter, Rex, Dash, R2, Uggies) and be set. That player has absolutely no reason to buy another piece unless it's Republic or Fringe. GOWK is such an illusion that he/she doesn't believe they need to branch out.

That would be true, if Anti-GOWK didn't exist. GOWK makes the game easier to start out in. GOWK can't carry them forever, and unless they start learning, they're going to lose to either GOWK or Anti-GOWK, consistently. And buying into the game (assuming they're buying boosters) means they'll be getting pieces from other factions with which to branch into.

Tirade wrote:
Sure, Rob might be looking to balance GOWK in future sets. But that is a problem too. We have no idea if and when that will happen. For newer players, that's over a year down the road. By that time, they might be fed up and bored with the game.

JA just released, and GAW will be out in September. In a year's time there should be about 3 sets.

Tirade wrote:
With Thrawn, it most certainly did NOT take 3-4 sets for him to be "handled." His true power wasn't unleashed until CotF. Even then, the swap strategy took a long time for players to understand. Plus players learned the strategy of counting squares and keeping their distance. Tempo control became a good counter too (looking at San). Of course just 2 sets after CotF, Rob released a direct counter (which I'd argue wasn't even needed). So that's hardly 3-4 sets to balance out Thrawn.

Swap, Initiative Control, Force Immunity, +3/+3. Even without figuring out B&B, these are powerful abilities. It may have taken a little while for people to figure out B&B, but it certainly existed at the time, and in a limited fashion without Mas. He also came out along with Vader, JH in one of the better supported factions at the time. People learned to count steps on both sides, and would still be able to set up attacks, or at least set up for Gambit. And with so many fewer maps, he was great with the shooters that existed at the time, especially since he allowed figures like Boba Fett to swap in and Double Attack from range, or swap in Aurra to position her and still get Careful shot off, and god help you if you tried to run jedi. The Force Bubble essentially killed almost any Force User that had been viable up until that point. Mas made it a lot worse. The First Direct Counter came out in Bounty Hunters with Disruptive, although at the time NR wasn't that great and Talon wasn't that hard to get rid of. NTMTO in A&E was a control of initiative control, and a bit more Disruptive, and FU until the MTB came along to give more factions and better way of dealing with him.

But up until that point, the ONLY thing people could do was try and maneuver around him, or out activate him. The abilities themselves had no viable counters. You just HAD to learn to play around him instead of just beating him. If you consider A&E to be when a truly viable way of defeating at least some of his CEs and abilities, then it took 3 sets for a Direct counter to come out, 2 if you are just talking any sort of Direct counter. Even then he still has some abilities that have no direct counter. There's still no direct way of dealing with his Force Bubble.

Yeah, my mistake about Dodonna.

Tirade wrote:
In respect to your effective JA pieces, there are a few decent ones that you listed. Not all, though, amount to much in a GOWK run meta. Here's my humble assessment:

In respect to the pieces I listed. I didn't mean to say that they were effective against GOWK, as much as they are effective in a GOWK meta.

Quote:
JBM - A JWM clone for a weaker faction. A step in the right direction, but hardly a counter against a good GOWK squad. The shooters will rip the JBM into pieces.

The OR has had problems for a while and like I've said before shooters (with our without GOWK) are a problem for the OR. But he is still a cost efficient piece that the OR needs.

Quote:
The Jedi Exile - The CE is fantastic, but pales when most of those shots are either missing the opposition (thanks to GOWK's CE) or being absorbed by GOWK.

Again, the OR still could use some abilities against shooters. But even in a GOWK meta, she allows more shots from certain figures, which will make it easier to kill. Now the Exile and the JBM may not be AS effective as they would be without GOWK, but they still have their uses in the faction.

Quote:
Darth Plagueis - While I love his Corruption, he is going to be eaten alive by shooters. The only movement breaker to help him is Palpatine's swap. However, that little combo costs 120. Not a true solution.

Still not an entirely ineffective piece. But I don't have time right now to continue to go over him. I've got to run. I'll see about the rest when I get back home later.

Tirade
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 9:38:09 AM

Lol, I never said against GOWK specifically. I was referring to a GOWK run meta. If I simply felt they would be effective one on one, I would include more. But this is a squad based game.

BTW, you mentioned 3-4 sets to fix GOWK. If we start now, that is a year down the road. If you were indicating when the Starter came out, we're still looking at around another 4-6 months.

xpraider wrote:
That would be true, if Anti-GOWK didn't exist. GOWK makes the game easier to start out in. GOWK can't carry them forever, and unless they start learning, they're going to lose to either GOWK or Anti-GOWK, consistently. And buying into the game (assuming they're buying boosters) means they'll be getting pieces from other factions with which to branch into.

You say that like Anti-GOWK has a legitimate chance at winning. Those squads hardly have a 50% chance at beating GOWK squads. Even as a new player, the GOWK squad should do ok against the Anti-GOWK. That's the whole issue. If a skilled Anti-GOWK player is having trouble beating a mediocre player with GOWK, that's a problem. As for your assumption about them buying boosters, that's an awfully big assumption. Again, why bother branching out in other factions when they are winning with nearly the same squad over half the time? That would be expensive. Even if a Republic or Fringe piece catches their fancy, they'd be better served buying singles. Which I guarantee you, GOWK certainly encourages more singles purchases (since there are so few of the new pieces that will do well in the GOWK meta).

xpraider wrote:
JA just released, and GAW will be out in September. In a year's time there should be about 3 sets.

So what happens when GaW is released (3 sets after GOWK) and no "counter" shows itself? Do we keep waiting? Seriously, ban the figure now. That will let Rob know there is a problem. Then if a future solution can alleviate the GOWK problem, DCI simply unbans GOWK. Seems logical to me.

xpraider wrote:
Swap, Initiative Control, Force Immunity, +3/+3. Even without figuring out B&B, these are powerful abilities. It may have taken a little while for people to figure out B&B, but it certainly existed at the time, and in a limited fashion without Mas. He also came out along with Vader, JH in one of the better supported factions at the time. People learned to count steps on both sides, and would still be able to set up attacks, or at least set up for Gambit. And with so many fewer maps, he was great with the shooters that existed at the time, especially since he allowed figures like Boba Fett to swap in and Double Attack from range, or swap in Aurra to position her and still get Careful shot off, and god help you if you tried to run jedi. The Force Bubble essentially killed almost any Force User that had been viable up until that point. Mas made it a lot worse. The First Direct Counter came out in Bounty Hunters with Disruptive, although at the time NR wasn't that great and Talon wasn't that hard to get rid of. NTMTO in A&E was a control of initiative control, and a bit more Disruptive, and FU until the MTB came along to give more factions and better way of dealing with him.

But up until that point, the ONLY thing people could do was try and maneuver around him, or out activate him. The abilities themselves had no viable counters. You just HAD to learn to play around him instead of just beating him. If you consider A&E to be when a truly viable way of defeating at least some of his CEs and abilities, then it took 3 sets for a Direct counter to come out, 2 if you are just talking any sort of Direct counter. Even then he still has some abilities that have no direct counter. There's still no direct way of dealing with his Force Bubble.

Out of all those powers, I'd say Master Tactician was the most harmful at the time of its release. At that stage of the game, Force Immunity wasn't that big. There just weren't many Force Users that dependent on Force Powers. Hence why Thrawn's Bubble is so huge in today's game of Force Push, Lightning, Corruption and Repulse. The swap portion of Thrawn didn't become an issue until CotF. That truly brought out the cries of "ban."

As for direct counters, I think you forgot about Nym. His Disruptive stood a far greater chance at making a difference than Talon's Disruptive. But it should be also noted that such a "counter" didn't slow down Thrawn all that much. That hardly made much of a difference against those squads. I'd say the MTB made a bigger dent against Thrawn.

But imagine that? Character placement and Tempo Control managed to deal with Thrawn. Sounds like a good strategy to me. Heck, I'm sure a few quick strike squads came to mind too. Ultimately, San squads were (and are) excellent ways of dealing with swap squads. Those were the banes of play for the Thrawn player. While there weren't myriad of solutions, those that were present were effective. Big difference between what's going on with GOWK.

graloth
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:01:10 PM

wow this brings me back to the Mirrodin block of magic the gathering
there was a deck called affinity the only way to beat it was to play affinity yourself or
artifact hate
and even artifact hate was a bad idea if u played anything else u lost
well it got so bad they banned it
and i dont mean 1 -2 cards they banned the whole deck
they dont care what they make they just dont like complaints
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:15:27 PM

Man I loved the artifact affinity stuff ThumbsUp It would have a hard time now with all the artifact hate that came out. It's been over a year since I have followed MTG but when I let it seemed they were coming down alot of artifact removals. Sorry for hyjacking the thread.
xpraider
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:40:07 PM

Tirade wrote:
Lol, I never said against GOWK specifically. I was referring to a GOWK run meta. If I simply felt they would be effective one on one, I would include more. But this is a squad based game.

I know, I was clarifying regarding my statements.

Quote:
BTW, you mentioned 3-4 sets to fix GOWK. If we start now, that is a year down the road. If you were indicating when the Starter came out, we're still looking at around another 4-6 months.

It's now July, GAW is scheduled for September, probably going to get pushed back to around the end of the month. 3-4 months.

Quote:
You say that like Anti-GOWK has a legitimate chance at winning. Those squads hardly have a 50% chance at beating GOWK squads.

If Anti-GOWK didn't have a legitimate chance of winning against GOWK then there would be no point in playing anything but GOWK. Anti-GOWK can and does provide a legitimate chance against GOWK, otherwise it wouldn't be much of an Anti-GOWK. I've seen Anti-GOWK go up against GOWK, and even the regionals have shown that Anti-GOWK can and will win. Hell, even some of the more experienced players who are calling for a ban are calling for it not because GOWK can't be beaten consistently, but because he restricts the meta to GOWK and Anti-GOWK.

What he really does is make the game longer.

Quote:
Even as a new player, the GOWK squad should do ok against the Anti-GOWK. That's the whole issue. If a skilled Anti-GOWK player is having trouble beating a mediocre player with GOWK, that's a problem.

A skilled Anti-GOWK player should still win (depending on the luck factor), it just might take longer.

Quote:
As for your assumption about them buying boosters, that's an awfully big assumption. Again, why bother branching out in other factions when they are winning with nearly the same squad over half the time? That would be expensive. Even if a Republic or Fringe piece catches their fancy, they'd be better served buying singles.

That depends on where and how they are playing. A brand new player getting into the game and starting out might start with singles, if they are available to him, but not all players are going to take that option if they have to use eBay or online stores. Some will, but some of the younger new players won't be able to, and with new sets it's somewhat easier to buy a booster to get the new figures than wait for the online store to get the figures, and then send them out. There's also a difference between a younger player, a casual player, and a more hardcore player. The Younger player may not be allowed to purchase singles unless the FLGS has them available, the casual player probably won't bother with dealing with it until they get really invested in the game. The hardcore gamer is the one more likely to start out with singles online, but even then it's a question of whether they want to jump in full force or only start out. Even then, the hardcore player will likely still buy boosters or cases. Never mind the prize support for the tournament. If they win boosters as prizes, then they are going to get those boosters anyway.

The reason I bring this up is because boosters tend to have random figures which they didn't have before. Thus, giving them more figures to try out.

Quote:

Which I guarantee you, GOWK certainly encourages more singles purchases (since there are so few of the new pieces that will do well in the GOWK meta).

It also depends on how familiar they are with the meta when they start.

Quote:
So what happens when GaW is released (3 sets after GOWK) and no "counter" shows itself? Do we keep waiting? Seriously, ban the figure now. That will let Rob know there is a problem. Then if a future solution can alleviate the GOWK problem, DCI simply unbans GOWK. Seems logical to me.

We've already seen counters. We've already seen pieces that can and do deal with him, either by killing him or reducing his effectiveness. We'll probably never see a figure that removes him from the meta.

Quote:
Out of all those powers, I'd say Master Tactician was the most harmful at the time of its release. At that stage of the game, Force Immunity wasn't that big. There just weren't many Force Users that dependent on Force Powers. Hence why Thrawn's Bubble is so huge in today's game of Force Push, Lightning, Corruption and Repulse. The swap portion of Thrawn didn't become an issue until CotF. That truly brought out the cries of "ban."

At that stage of the game, a combination of Thrawn and Vader JH effectively eliminated most of the jedi who existed up until that time. Force Immunity had just come into the game and actually played a bigger role when Universe came out then when COTF came out, because Thrawn had to be closer in order to do the swap. A lot of the missile and grenade saves, along with those figures that had deflect or had a low enough attack value that they needed the force to reroll couldn't. MT was certainly a huge contribution, but the +3/+3 was also a huge bonus, especially at the time. The swap in COTF just made it worse.

Quote:
As for direct counters, I think you forgot about Nym. His Disruptive stood a far greater chance at making a difference than Talon's Disruptive. But it should be also noted that such a "counter" didn't slow down Thrawn all that much. That hardly made much of a difference against those squads. I'd say the MTB made a bigger dent against Thrawn.

I didn't include Nym because I didn't feel he was worth including. I barely consider BH to be worth mentioning in terms of counter abilities to Thrawn, especially since Boba BH and Lord Vader made his swap and abilities even more effective. The MTB, disruptive, and Tempo Control did that. But aside from San the rest weren't readily available until A&E and FU.

Quote:
But imagine that? Character placement and Tempo Control managed to deal with Thrawn. Sounds like a good strategy to me. Heck, I'm sure a few quick strike squads came to mind too. Ultimately, San squads were (and are) excellent ways of dealing with swap squads. Those were the banes of play for the Thrawn player.

San definitely helped, but it was one type of squad from one faction (which while excellent) was a fairly limited faction even at the time. The rest of the factions had to wait a while.

At least now we've got more things that can directly counter GOWK in several factions. [Disruptive, Direct Damage, Force Immunity, Force Defense, Crack Gunner, Makashi, Sever Force (for what that's really worth)]

Quote:
While there weren't myriad of solutions, those that were present were effective. Big difference between what's going on with GOWK.

Effective to a point. Thrawn still had a major impact on the game and essentially changed how it had to be played. You either figured out a squad and a game style that could beat Thrawn, or you probably lost (assuming the players knew what they were doing). All squads had to keep Thrawn in mind and the players had to think. "Can this take Thrawn?" Which is the same thing people are doing now with GOWK. Squads have to be made with him in mind and the players have to think "Can this take GOWK?"

The big difference between Thrawn and GOWK is that GOWK is a lot more survivable and forgiving, and perhaps his biggest strength is that his CE is so hard to get rid of. Without his CE he really doesn't do much aside from being a real annoyance and distraction. Thrawn's CEs and SAs still do more and for fewer points.

Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:58:32 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

But, the meta at the time of Universe was also far smaller. I'll be honest, I never really saw the issue with Thrawn. Knowing I will lose init is about as good as knowing my opponent will win init.
xpraider
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 1:48:13 PM

Sithborg wrote:
But, the meta at the time of Universe was also far smaller. I'll be honest, I never really saw the issue with Thrawn. Knowing I will lose init is about as good as knowing my opponent will win init.

For me the real issue came down to points that would have been critical initiatives, and it made it a lot easier to setup for some nasty combos.
Tirade
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:35:05 PM

xpraider wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

For me the real issue came down to points that would have been critical initiatives, and it made it a lot easier to setup for some nasty combos.

Not an issue when you've effectively out-activated your opponent. You pick away at the swap fodder. While easier said than done, it is easier than picking off GOWK's support. The worst you had to fear was Thrawn's boost to stormies or grans. In this day and age, pesky shooters have Mobile or GMA.

As for Anti-GOWK squads being effective, I think you are overestimating their chances. Of the Push squads that won at Regionals (which I consider Anti-GOWK), I doubt all that many faced off against GOWK every game. Heck, I bet the faced no more than 2 GOWK squads per regional. The other GOWK players end up hurting each other. Again, an illusion is created. Some of the best counters are only able to beat GOWK around 40-50% of the time. And that's with some of the best players at the helm. GOWK effectively makes a player have to run Anti-GOWK to perfection. Even if that happens, you are hardly guaranteed a win. So instead of skill deciding this, a vastly superior piece is dictating the game.

Also, I'm not sure why you keep harping on Force Immunity. Was it nice back then? Sure. Yet its impact is far greater in today's game due to the influx of cost effective force users and intensive force powers. That wasn't the case back in the days of Universe or even CotF. You talk of JH Vader eliminating the Jedi from play. What jedi? Even back in the days of Universe, people recognized the inadequacies of the force users. JH Vader was simply confirmation that Rob had overcosted the past Jedi.

With Disruptive, you mentioned Talon Karrde. I felt it necessary to also remind you of Nym. Of those two, I can bet you Nym was considered a stronger Disruptive option back then. The scary part, however, is that we both agree that did little to slow down Thrawn. So how do we know a similar thing doesn't happen with GOWK? Maybe Rob does throw a counter of sorts out there (ie - like Makashi). It doesn't do a lick of good if that counter is relegated to a poor piece and/or faction. That's part of the problem with Dooku of Serreno.
xpraider
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:49:32 PM

Ok, I'm going to get back to this now.

Quote:

If Corruption plus swap is your plan, it may not be that effective. But if you could figure out a way to put Plagueis with some of the other Sith figures that don't have a lot of survivability, and with holosidious and the new non-unique sith pieces. The fact that he can hurt GOWK too is a nice bonus.

Quote:
Sith Apprentice - Probably the first real threat you listed. A ranged FP that can do Direct damage is nice. My only caveat - squads with Barriss Offee and Luminara. That damage could be easily healed away thanks to Barriss.

True healing can undo it, but Force Defense and Force Immunity can stop it from happening in the first place.

Quote:
Darth Sidious, SM - The swapping option is certainly a nice idea. However, it looses its luster without direct damage or Overwhelming Force. That's one reason Lord Vader swaps are so popular. Fortunately the Apprentice and Lord are solid Pawn and Swap options.

Movement breakers so far have easily proven their worth (though he is one of, if not the most, expensive). The real disadvantage of this Sidious is you can't bring in holosidious to give renewal. Pawn is also a nice addition.

Quote:
Sith Lord - Again, another decent option you listed. Probably best in a swap squad with Sid. That's a real threat against GOWK IMHO. The one problem though is the lack of Force Renewal if you go the swapping route. No Holo Sid.

Pretty much the same deal as the apprentice.

Quote:
Dark Woman - All I see here is another thorn in the GOWK run meta. She can help eliminate a key commander that might be hiding (Rieekan, Dodonna, Ozzel, perhaps Thrawn). Just another GOWK toy to use.

Yup. She can also be useful against GOWK by getting to other squishier commanders. The swap with her abilities makes her great at that. Whether against GOWK or with GOWK, she can provide a nice tactical advantage.

Quote:
Grand Master Yoda - I love his offensive kick. Still, I don't see how he does much against a GOWK squad. Plus GOWK's CE dwarfs Yoda's. Also, why in the world would Yoda be Force Defensing GOWK (if that's what you meant)? What a waste of FPs. While GOWK is around, I don't see myself using this piece.

Now, the best use of his Force is not for Force Defensing against GOWK's rerolls, but it can be done, and there can be times where it would be useful to stop him from rerolling, especially if GOWK is already low on health, or if there was a crit against GOWK. That use is situational, but still possible.

But on a more practical matter, his and GOWK's CEs are very similar, GOWK's is a bit better, but does have some conditionality, and doesn't completely overwhelm GMY's. Beyond his CE, GMY also provides a good amount of actual damage output, unlike GOWK. Nevermind how useful Lightsaber Throw 3 is on GMY. A good setup (which isn't going to be that hard to do in a Republic squad) will provide GMY with 1 enemy within 6. Throw 3 becomes Throw 5 at +19, and while GOWK himself would be able to defend against it, anything else in GOWK's squad is going to take a beating. And if he ever gets adjacent with Ataru he'd be able to plow through most of GOWK's support.

His big disadvantage is that he can't defend himself as well, which is somewhat alleviated if you bother to bring Qui-Gon JM (though it may not be worth it though). Because they are very similar, I'd be curious to see what a 1 on 1 test of GOWK v GMY would look like.

Quote:
Disciple of Ragnos - Finally, another viable piece you listed. This guy will probably do best when teamed with Thrawn. He desperately needs that movement breaker.

He's easily got the movement breaker in both Thrawns. And there really isn't a reason not to use him with M'Thrawn or GAT, put him in with Palps on Throne and/or Vader Unleashed and you've got a lot of Direct Damage.

Quote:
Anakin Solo - I'll buy into Unleash the Force and Force Push making this piece a good option against GOWK. Keep in mind, though, you will have to run Wedge with Anakin. Otherwise he'll never have a chance.

Absolutely. Unless you're running a lot of commanders or pieces with Evade and some form of mobile, there should be no question about including Wedge.

Quote:
Cade Skywalker - I do admit, he will keep the direct damage users alive. But that's about it. If I am the GOWK player, I go directly for Cade. He probably won't last any more than 2 rounds after the bullets start to fly.

Depending on the squad, he probably won't do much more than get a heal off and draw some fire away from the more expensive figures. But again, pair him with Wedge and the new Leia and killing him isn't quite so easy.

Quote:
EJA - Like the Disciple, another decent possibility. But again, you better be running Wedge with this guy. If you don't, the EJA will drop like a sack of potatoes.

Again with what I said about Anakin. Wedge is a given.

Quote:
GMLS - Okay, I love Luke. However, I'm having a hard time seeing what he offers against GOWK. If I am the GOWK player, I will gladly engage Luke with GOWK. While he's busy trying to dent GOWK, the support can destroy what little Luke has with him. The cost alone makes me question his validity as a good counter. Also, Force Defensing a re-roll is a total waste of FPs. There are far better uses for those FPs.

Unless you're playing around with the GOWK player, GOWK is more of a speed bump to Luke than anything else. GOWK can't reliably hurt him, and will only slow him down. GMLS can pretty much ignore GOWK and go for whatever else is in the squad. Once GOWK and GMLS go after each other, depending on the health and luck of the rolls, its really a matter of time before GMLS will take down GOWK.

Quote:
Kol - If it weren't for his Force Push, I'd say he's another wash. Thankfully he does have a form of direct damage.

Yeah, he does have some direct damage, and he can also tie GOWK up. Again paired with Wedge he's got some defense against range. Kol and GOWK really won't hurt eachother unless Kol starts Force Pushing. And then its 38 points tying up 55 points.

Quote:
Kyle CI - I'm not seeing him doing much. His CE is worthless against a GOWK shooter squad. Not to mention he will have a difficult time against those same shooters.

This Kyle is not quite as good as the previous one, and I have my doubts that he'll see too much use. But he is similar to Kol in that he can keep GOWK tied up, but is actually even better at it since he'll also suppress GOWK's CE. The real trick with him is to keep something else between him and GOWK's shooters, since most of the ones being used don't have Accurate Shot.

Quote:
Leia - She'll keep squads alive longer, but I am not sure how she directly affects GOWK. She's a step up from Kyle, but certainly not a great counter.

She's not a great GOWK counter. But she's not supposed to be. She's just really frickin' useful. She'll keep practically every other figure in the squad alive longer. Whether it's a reroll of evade from Wedge, or a reroll of block and deflects. Paired with Kol, he can block both of GOWK's attacks and reroll if needed. Same with Kyle, and GMLS.

It's not all about being Anti-GOWK as much as being good in the new meta.

Quote:
R4 - This droid is a good way to counter GOWK's CE. That's at least how I see it.

Yup. Well, at least part of his CE anyway.

Quote:
Vong - Again, how do they fare against the GOWK shooter squads? I can't imagine all that well.

With Crab armor they do get to live a bit longer. With JH they'll probably only need 3-4 hits on GOWK to kill him, so average 6-8 attacks will kill GOWK. Which is not an impossible thing for them to do.

Quote:
That's my assessment of JA. I see, maybe, 8 pieces that do much anything against him. With GOWK, the game becomes a battle of 4 factions - the Republic, the Rebels, the Empire and the New Republic. Three of those four have access to swap to augment Direct Damage squads. Two of the four have Evade to counter the shooters and keep the damage dealers alive. And obviously the Republic has access to GOWK and every other Republic toy. The other factions don't have much going IMHO. That is very sad. Last time I checked, the game had 9 factions (10 if you count Fringe).

Even without GOWK, I think those would still be the top 4 factions. Sith are just now coming into the game, I'd place them around where the NR was when Legacy came out. If they get a wedge like piece it will boost them up significantly. OR is only just starting to get in the game.

Now, to be fair, I think some of these figures would be even better without having to worry about GOWK, but that doesn't mean they won't still be useful or even good. There are other figures that could also see a bit more usefulness without GOWK.

Now that I think about it though, I'd actually like to add in 2 more figures.

The Antarian Ranger can actually be quite nasty, depending on the faction he's in. In an OR squad, he won't really be that useful. But stick him in a Republic Squad along with GOWK and he gets pretty blasteded good.

The Felucian is another potentially (notice I said potentially)useful figure. Against GOWK himself, he may not be the greatest since he allows a save, but against GOWK support they can be good since they're so cheap.

xpraider
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:26:16 PM

Tirade wrote:

Not an issue when you've effectively out-activated your opponent. You pick away at the swap fodder. While easier said than done, it is easier than picking off GOWK's support. The worst you had to fear was Thrawn's boost to stormies or grans. In this day and age, pesky shooters have Mobile or GMA.

Unless you were running San, out activating wasn't quite THAT easy. And it also depended on what was being used as swap fodder. Sometimes if you were just able to run a higher HP figure up and do the swap. Or alternatively, you ran Vader JH around to get close, but out of LOS. And just kept the Storm Troopers back enough that they were hard to hit. Once you got to the end of the Round, after your opponent had already activated most of his figures you could safely run Vader up and base an opponent and perhaps make an attack. Next round, you win initiative and triple attack. Vader was enough of a tank that he could probably have taken almost any shot before getting out of there from Thrawn.

Quote:
As for Anti-GOWK squads being effective, I think you are overestimating their chances. Of the Push squads that won at Regionals (which I consider Anti-GOWK), I doubt all that many faced off against GOWK every game. Heck, I bet the faced no more than 2 GOWK squads per regional. The other GOWK players end up hurting each other. Again, an illusion is created. Some of the best counters are only able to beat GOWK around 40-50% of the time. And that's with some of the best players at the helm. GOWK effectively makes a player have to run Anti-GOWK to perfection. Even if that happens, you are hardly guaranteed a win. So instead of skill deciding this, a vastly superior piece is dictating the game.

From playing GOWK, seeing GOWK played, and playing against GOWK, I have seen some squad (not just Rebel Push) that were able to do quite well against GOWK, several times. The NE regional 2nd place was only in second because he made a mistake in his second round.

I think you are underestimating them. And if we say around 50% of Anti-GOWK are beating GOWK, are we talking equal skill level? Because if that is the case then it means there is a nice balance between GOWK and Anti-GOWK. If 2 players of equal skills with equally well put together squads (one GOWK, one Anti-GOWK) a win rate of 50% means the squads are balanced against each other. If that's true than that means that using well built squads, the difference between a GOWK squad and an Anti-GOWK squad would be a) luck, and b) skill.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure why you keep harping on Force Immunity. Was it nice back then? Sure. Yet its impact is far greater in today's game due to the influx of cost effective force users and intensive force powers. That wasn't the case back in the days of Universe or even CotF. You talk of JH Vader eliminating the Jedi from play. What jedi? Even back in the days of Universe, people recognized the inadequacies of the force users. JH Vader was simply confirmation that Rob had overcosted the past Jedi.

I'm not trying to harp on it, anymore than I'm saying it had an effect and added to what he could already do, it basically made him super utility commander.

Quote:
With Disruptive, you mentioned Talon Karrde. I felt it necessary to also remind you of Nym. Of those two, I can bet you Nym was considered a stronger Disruptive option back then.

I mentioned Talon because I usually played NR back then and he was a bit more cost effective than Nym, and because Disruptive did end up being good against him, and was introduced in BH.

Quote:
The scary part, however, is that we both agree that did little to slow down Thrawn. So how do we know a similar thing doesn't happen with GOWK? Maybe Rob does throw a counter of sorts out there (ie - like Makashi). It doesn't do a lick of good if that counter is relegated to a poor piece and/or faction. That's part of the problem with Dooku of Serreno.

Good question. The best way I can think of answering that is to look at past issues and see whether they were resolved and dealt with, and how long it took. As best I can recall, most issues took a few sets and a tweak of the rules. Most of those issues also had maybe 1 or 2 counters, but for the most part didn't. While the things coming out right now may not seem to be the most effective counters, I'm seeing some of the balance coming out faster with this than some of the other issues.

For example. Override. A powerful ability in RS, that many players exploited to win the game, and was only available to Rebel squads. I don't recall exactly when it was done, but by the time I started playing in Universe, Gambit was introduced and got rid of the advantage to the lock out. COTF then saw the ugnaught with satchel charge, and a couple more overriders. So by 3 sets we saw counter #1 and by 4 we saw counter #2 and override, while useful, was not quite as powerful.

Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:27:06 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I guess we can all interpret the Regional Data as we want. I know what I saw. I saw, that in order to compete, you MUST play GOWK, anti-GOWK (which really only makes the squads equal in strength), or to play tactics which I think we can all agree is against the spirit of the game and is just a plain NPE. And the main issue, with him being in a faction that is in the spotlight for now, he can just keep on getting stronger.

The top players will always be at the top. However, it would be nice for them to enjoy the game as well.
billiv15
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:03:34 PM

xpraider wrote:

I think you are underestimating them. And if we say around 50% of Anti-GOWK are beating GOWK, are we talking equal skill level? Because if that is the case then it means there is a nice balance between GOWK and Anti-GOWK. If 2 players of equal skills with equally well put together squads (one GOWK, one Anti-GOWK) a win rate of 50% means the squads are balanced against each other. If that's true than that means that using well built squads, the difference between a GOWK squad and an Anti-GOWK squad would be a) luck, and b) skill.
Ah but you forget that a meta is never just 2 things, even if those are the "best" options. The problem comes that the GOWK counters are not 50-50 with the non-GOWK counter good squads, they are perhaps 30-70 depending on individual match ups. However, most of the non-GOWK counters, will be less than 50% against GOWK overall. The way these players are getting around those numbers is to do as Sithborg mentioned, using tactics that I think most players would generally look down upon. Let's be honest, if you didn't like lock out wins, then I certainly don't see how you can support using fast figures and activation control to get a points lead and run for time (which is the 3rd option right now for competitive play). I would also argue that most of the GOWK counters are not 50-50 against all GOWK squads. Heck, they aren't generally even 50-50 against any. Some of the decent counters out there, get smashed by certain variants, even when they do well against others. Skill and luck are still factors, but if you can't see the effect on the meta, then I don't know what to tell you.

xpraider wrote:
Good question. The best way I can think of answering that is to look at past issues and see whether they were resolved and dealt with, and how long it took. As best I can recall, most issues took a few sets and a tweak of the rules. Most of those issues also had maybe 1 or 2 counters, but for the most part didn't. While the things coming out right now may not seem to be the most effective counters, I'm seeing some of the balance coming out faster with this than some of the other issues.

For example. Override. A powerful ability in RS, that many players exploited to win the game, and was only available to Rebel squads. I don't recall exactly when it was done, but by the time I started playing in Universe, Gambit was introduced and got rid of the advantage to the lock out. COTF then saw the ugnaught with satchel charge, and a couple more overriders. So by 3 sets we saw counter #1 and by 4 we saw counter #2 and override, while useful, was not quite as powerful.

first of all, this isn't a comparable situation in anyway. The game was not meant to be played competitively, so override only became a problem when you left the kitchen table and started playing tournaments (which WotC did not originally intend). It wasn't until around Rots that this became an issue. Gambit was created at the very next DCI update to deal with the issue, it was not from Rebel storm, that is a rewriting of the history.

Second, what kind of change was Gambit btw? Was it a DCI rules change? I believe it was. It takes a year or more to develop and release an actual figure counter. So if Rob were to design a counter figure like the ugnaught (I believe this not to be possible in anyway for GOWK, but let's just assume it is), we would not see it until summer of 2010 at the earliest. CotF came out 9 months after Universe, and about 13 months after Rots. Waiting around for the magical counter figure is not an option. Sorry, I won't be playing in 13 months if this is the meta I am forced to play.

Third, in the regional, I locked out two different people. The tactics are harder to pull off, and require more strategy than before, but it certainly isn't fixed by the ugnaught. That's just the reality of it. Gambit helps, but only so much. Override is still one of the most powerful and abusive abilities in the game. You can only nerf something like that so much. And while in this case, they have done a good enough job, it was only one ability, usually on figures that are easy to kill. With GOWK, there is very little you can actually do. You resort to one of a couple of direct damage squads, or you get a points lead and hide. That's it, you cannot play the game the way it's intended. That's what makes it such a problem.
xpraider
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:13:47 PM

billiv15 wrote:
Ah but you forget that a meta is never just 2 things, even if those are the "best" options. The problem comes that the GOWK counters are not 50-50 with the non-GOWK counter good squads, they are perhaps 30-70 depending on individual match ups. However, most of the non-GOWK counters, will be less than 50% against GOWK overall. The way these players are getting around those numbers is to do as Sithborg mentioned, using tactics that I think most players would generally look down upon. Let's be honest, if you didn't like lock out wins, then I certainly don't see how you can support using fast figures and activation control to get a points lead and run for time (which is the 3rd option right now for competitive play). I would also argue that most of the GOWK counters are not 50-50 against all GOWK squads. Heck, they aren't generally even 50-50 against any. Some of the decent counters out there, get smashed by certain variants, even when they do well against others. Skill and luck are still factors, but if you can't see the effect on the meta, then I don't know what to tell you.

In a dedicated tournament situation a cheap win is still a win using the rules provided to the players. Lock out wins may be considered cheap and bad form, but the point of the game in a tournament is to win. If you aren't going for the win you aren't really playing correctly (that doesn't mean I encourage cheating though). Sometimes a situation will arise in which the only way to win is to run out the clock. It's happened to me, and I've done it to other players.

And yes, there are some variants of GOWK that are going to be stronger than others, and probably some that will be weaker. I'd have to look over a lot more data to make that call one way or another, other than to say that the way the squad builds work out may go to show that some Anti-GOWK Squads will be better against other Anti-GOWK squads, and will be worse against GOWK builds that the other Anti-GOWK squads are on par with.

Quote:
first of all, this isn't a comparable situation in anyway. The game was not meant to be played competitively, so override only became a problem when you left the kitchen table and started playing tournaments (which WotC did not originally intend). It wasn't until around Rots that this became an issue. Gambit was created at the very next DCI update to deal with the issue, it was not from Rebel storm, that is a rewriting of the history.

Like I said. I jumped in when Universe came out. By that time SWM was already involved in tournaments and Gambit already existed. And while the tournament situation of the lock out didn't exist until ROTS, Lock out itself would have existed since RS, just not in a tournament. It would just have been a really rude way to play and win the game by forcing your opponent to concede, or just sit around the table doing nothing for however long you're going to play.

Quote:
Second, what kind of change was Gambit btw? Was it a DCI rules change? I believe it was. It takes a year or more to develop and release an actual figure counter. So if Rob were to design a counter figure like the ugnaught (I believe this not to be possible in anyway for GOWK, but let's just assume it is), we would not see it until summer of 2010 at the earliest. CotF came out 9 months after Universe, and about 13 months after Rots. Waiting around for the magical counter figure is not an option. Sorry, I won't be playing in 13 months if this is the meta I am forced to play.

No need to be condescending. Gambit was also a rules change, not a banning. But even if it takes a year for a counter figure to be developed and released, GOWK came out in October of 2008. The question of a counter in a later set depends on when he started making it (assuming he has), and what the turn around time is now with the 40 minis set. We could see it as early as GAW in September, DT in January, or whatever the set after DT is in summer 2010. It depends on when Rob decides to make it. If he was aware of what GOWK would be like when he made him in the Starter set we will probably see it in the next set or two. If he felt that Dooku or direct damage was the perfect counter THEN we will probably have to wait until the set after DT. I don't know, I'm not privy to the stats of the stuff that hasn't been released.

Quote:
Third, in the regional, I locked out two different people. The tactics are harder to pull off, and require more strategy than before, but it certainly isn't fixed by the ugnaught. That's just the reality of it. Gambit helps, but only so much. Override is still one of the most powerful and abusive abilities in the game. You can only nerf something like that so much. And while in this case, they have done a good enough job, it was only one ability, usually on figures that are easy to kill.

Override as an ability is still something people have to deal with and which has simply become part of the game and basic squad building. The Ugnaught and satchel charge went a long way to getting through it though. It also helped that fringe Override came out with Lobot. Even if the Rebels/Republic could get 2 override, at least 1 override let the other players get a shot or two in, and have a way of dealing with it.

Quote:
With GOWK, there is very little you can actually do. You resort to one of a couple of direct damage squads, or you get a points lead and hide. That's it, you cannot play the game the way it's intended. That's what makes it such a problem.

I don't know. Getting a points lead and then hiding, or building up gambit while not being shot has been a way to play and win for a while. Especially when the players are both being conservative and careful.
Partof1
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:31:00 PM

I have made several similar posts in several other threads, but still, I say: GOWK is bad. On a game to game basis, he is beatable. However, against everything else, he us a monster. He limits the game to approximately 3 hate squads, that even when optimized against GOWK, only win half the time. He kills the game, and there is no incentive to stop using him as far as winning is concerned. Outside of a ban, there is nothing that can be done against him.