RegisterDonateLogin

One milk, two milk, red milk, Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GOWK, the answer. Options
IronLung
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:39:10 AM
Groups: Member

The real basic fact is that Wizard's makes SWM to make money. Wizard's have spent a lot of time and money on the battle packs; banning GOWK will cause them to have money tied up into something that is down its major selling Pt. All banning the figure does is help the Meta and hurts the money that Wizards need to keep SWM going. Wizards's all ready dropped D@D mini's and cut a lot of its Magic events. In my arena there used to be 10 but with GOWK and Dooku allowing them to have a chance against me and a few others we are at 25 now.

I remember when Master Tactician came out that changed the meta more than GOWK esspecially with Vader JH.

I do really see why it is broken and how it make the tournament format really limited and that is why an errata is needed. Just make him loose force renewal 2 or make his fighting style only to be able to be rerolled 1 time per attack.
Tirade
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:56:13 AM

Guys, you keep acting like another errata for GOWK is a possibility. Unless we here such from Rob, it's not going to happen. It's either ban GOWK or don't ban him.

Also, Dean isn't trying to act superior here. From what I can tell, he is at his wit's end when it comes to GOWK. I think there's more humor in his posts than haughtiness.
dnemiller
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:31:58 AM

IronLung wrote:
The real basic fact is that Wizard's makes SWM to make money. Wizard's have spent a lot of time and money on the battle packs; banning GOWK will cause them to have money tied up into something that is down its major selling Pt. All banning the figure does is help the Meta and hurts the money that Wizards need to keep SWM going. Wizards's all ready dropped D@D mini's and cut a lot of its Magic events. In my arena there used to be 10 but with GOWK and Dooku allowing them to have a chance against me and a few others we are at 25 now.

I remember when Master Tactician came out that changed the meta more than GOWK esspecially with Vader JH.

I do really see why it is broken and how it make the tournament format really limited and that is why an errata is needed. Just make him loose force renewal 2 or make his fighting style only to be able to be rerolled 1 time per attack.

Ok i will take the bait on your real basic facts.

1. The starters will sell no matter what happens to Gowk because they have legal and usable maps in them. Players can always use maps.

2. Gowk stays legal and I no longer buy cases (by the way I am not alone in this several competitive players I know are planning on this) I will just buy the pieces I need to stay competitive. Wizards is already on a slippery slope and I a not talking about banning. Wizards is no longer the good ole boy company they once were. They cannot have 6 stinker games and 1 successful game. They have anew big brother named Hasbro and he wont stand for that. They have been trimming the fat company wide and laying people off. Wizards has made several bad decisions as a company and now it is comiong back to bite them in the butt. When they reduced sets from 60 to 40 did they really save money. They went from 2 production tuns to 3. If you know anything about production that actually would be more expensive than two. Not to mention you are now marketing 3 seperate sets versus 2. Again that is more expensive. Now you get to customer base. I went from buying 5 cases a set (when there were 60) to now buying one. That is 10 cases sold to the Miller's at one point to where we are now of 3 cases. That in turn has hurt the LGS. They dont sell as much product. The after market for rares is now dead. So the singles market is now only VR's and some commons and uncommons. So at this point you keep Gowk legal and I know plenty of people that wont even buy a case. Man I dont where that is a sound business decision for Wizards. But I Guess looking at how WOW card game is eating into their Magic card player base Nationally maybe I should not be surprised by anything they do anymore.

So no I am not sure how you doing good business argument jumps into the Gowk equation but I am sure you can tell me I am wrong just like everyone says Gowk is the easiest piece since the ewok to kill.

Keep asking for Rob to errata him on his own. I bet you wont try for 6 months like I have. I bet you give up after a month.

By the way I am still waiting on Vassal for anyone who like to enlighten me on how to easily kill Gowk because like the moron I am I think he is hard to kill.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:01:41 PM

When did someone call you a moron??? Thats were I draw the line, no one should call you that just because of your opinion. But like I said, there is nothing we can really dod about it, the chose as been made, we just have to wait and see.
dnemiller
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:07:32 PM

Uggie Demo wrote:
When did someone call you a moron??? Thats were I draw the line, no one should call you that just because of your opinion. But like I said, there is nothing we can really dod about it, the chose as been made, we just have to wait and see.

oh it is just a joke. Although in my time as the DCI Content Manager I have been called worse on Wizards. So I always make light of being called thing like that.

If you saw some of the comments on the questions for the RUles Advisors test when people would get them wrong you would be shocked. I guess their real personalities come out on those. So yeah I just have to laugh at things like that.
IronLung
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:29:11 PM

For you to get your VR and UC someone will need to open the packs. And on your point on how you won't buy boxes because GOWK isn't banned. Just say it out loud how does it sound? Finally, if the projection that more people will quit buying boosters because of GOWK isn't banned; once again just say it out loud. I am in no way a finance guru, but as a successful business owner I had to take a production cost increase and still have to build my customer base without losing them. In my area none of us have a DCI rating in SWM we play by all the rules and because GOWK can beat me and a few other skilled players the store is selling more booster boxes. (even more now that I showed them all this site). To run on, I live in the middle of Nebraska so maybe my projection of GOWK making less skilled players able to compete against higher skilled players will help grow the customer base is wrong.

P.S. So what is next after the GOWK bitch is over. I have heard GGDAC is broken quite a bit and if SWM is going to ban figures because of there support I hope they don't make a Droid Rex or something good like that (sarcasim)
IronLung
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:40:38 PM

By the way this is the best collectable gaming site I have ever seen. Shinja thank you. I used to play Magic and there never was a site like this or even any mmorpg's i have played. Keeps up the good work and everyone play Mini's for fun not to be #1!
dnemiller
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:48:13 PM

IronLung wrote:
For you to get your VR and UC someone will need to open the packs. And on your point on how you won't buy boxes because GOWK isn't banned. Just say it out loud how does it sound? Finally, if the projection that more people will quit buying boosters because of GOWK isn't banned; once again just say it out loud. I am in no way a finance guru, but as a successful business owner I had to take a production cost increase and still have to build my customer base without losing them. In my area none of us have a DCI rating in SWM we play by all the rules and because GOWK can beat me and a few other skilled players the store is selling more booster boxes. (even more now that I showed them all this site). To run on, I live in the middle of Nebraska so maybe my projection of GOWK making less skilled players able to compete against higher skilled players will help grow the customer base is wrong.

P.S. So what is next after the GOWK bitch is over. I have heard GGDAC is broken quite a bit and if SWM is going to ban figures because of there support I hope they don't make a Droid Rex or something good like that (sarcasim)

you seem to be missing the point. That is fine if your local players are better. But how long? How hard will it be for the better players going forward since they will basically know exactly what everyone will be running. Lobostele had a great story of one of their younger players contemplating quitting the game because of Gowk. Why? Because he does not want to be forced to play him or against him but still wants to win.

Leaving Gowk legal wont make it harder on the best players in the world. It will make their gaming life much easier. They will know exactly what to play and they will know exactly what they are facing. No surprses no worries of facing something that just makes their life difficult. The Meta will be constricted in a manner that they know what it always is. SWM has enjoyed the prospect of having a varied Meta so that players could bring off the wall stuff to a tourney and do well. I hear things like well Plagieous will handle Gowk in three turns. Well you know what so will Vader Unleashed and he has not been the answer. Good players can get around that. Especially when you give them a piece that makes that easy. I dont really see lesser skilled players competing against higher skilled players like you say. What I see is lesser skilled players thinking they are better than they really are and making bad tactical movements and decisions based on the piece. I see an entire learning curve that most older players had to struggle thru being thrown out the window. What I see is the gap not getting closer from Gowk but quite the opposite getting even wider than ever. You can throw the slippery slope argument in there if you want.... that is just kind of grasping at straws. Why would another figure suddenly need to be banned like GGDAC???? I am confused who said that? When you make a figure that basically takes one mechanic out of the game (Attacking) then you have a problem. I did not come to my position lightly over Gowk. I have spent over 8 months trying to get Rob to do something. No one else has spent that amount of time. How do I know this because I got the product before it was released to the public so I could work with the maps. In all that time Rob has not changed his course and does not want to errata Gowk further. So saying well if Rob will just do this..... well that is not an workable answer. He did something he made this monster. He has had one opps in 5 years and over 700 figures. I think that is awesome. Magic cannot claim that. Hell the proofreaders for the cards cannot even say that.

I fyou have a problem with that fact that I wont buy anymore cases and others aren't either well that is too bad. I play this competitively that is the part I enjoy. Me trying to outthink my opponent. So if I dont have to spend but about $30 to be competitive versus around $150.... you can bet I wont. That is 12 rounds of gold more per year for me and the boys...... SO I will be able to have the best of both worlds. I am loyal Wizards customer... but they have spent years making bad decisions. You dont have to believe about them just go check out the game Dreamblade....
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:08:36 PM

owaller3 wrote:
For example, Billiv15 took 13th place in the Chicago Regionals. I am not sure of the exact breakdown but it didn't seem like the majority of regionals were won by GOWK. Would I like for GOWK to be banned? On one hand I like the challenge but on the other I don't like the limited meta.

For clarification, I went 4-2. I had the worst SOS out of the 4-2s, with the top of them placing 5th. I was more or less tied for 5th, but placed 13th due to a bad SOS.

Second, I could have easily gone 5-1, I simply chose to play out my second loss instead of going for an early lock out style win, which I had set up. Chicago was not running a playoff, so after losing in the first round to Jonny, I was out of the running for first. So I played looser than normal, and pulled of a nice string of 4 1s in a row, leaving my opponent's Vader at 20hps instead of dying. So I lost my second game that way. Big deal.

My first loss, has been covered, but since you used is as an example I feel the need to clarify.

Let's try something here. If you guys had to predict the odds of winning a match of GOWK/Dash/JWM vs 6 Gungans, Tarpuls, Queen, Rex, what would you put it at? First, the Gungan swarm style is what Jonny plays best. Second, the cesta's actually work better than regular attacks on GOWK, because you don't have to hit his defense. With that said, mettle rerolls should cover you enough to take them down. As it happened, I was not using the ideal GOWK for this first round match (yodabuck would have owned Jonny) and I then failed about 80% of my saves. Including, every save with Dash (2 evades, 2 cestas, dead Dash), all saves with JWM (I think 4 Cestas and then 1 deflect) and a bunch on Obi. In particular, twice in that game I failed a double mettle fprr - in other words, rolled the original roll, failed, reroll with mettle at 7s, fail, reroll again at 3s, fail. That was twice. It means I spent 4fps in that game that did nothing.

That happens. But the odds are very low. If Jonny and I play out the exact game 10 times, that's the one time he wins. It's gonna happen sometimes, just like Boba getting the big D, but you play the odds. In this case I failed those odds.

Now, I lost in round 1, and round 3. For those of you who know what Swiss looks like, losing in round 3 is the worst round for placement. I was consistently the lowest ranked of my record the rest of the tournament because of it.

If you feel the need to make something out of that, that's all well and good, but I just wanted to point out how stupid you would be to do so.

Oh and I beat Viable 4 times now with GOWK, I really no longer care how good Owaller thinks he is with it. In Chicago, I played 5/6 rounds against "counter GOWK" squads. I beat all of them but Jonny's. My second loss was funny, as it was a poorly designed Palps and Vader U squad, with like two ugos (which I killed early) and had double override. He had like 4 Shadow storms in it I think. Losing the way I did was actually a very entertaining game, and my opponent was very fun with it.

At one point, I would have had to lose init twice, miss 4 times on Vader with the JWM, once with Obi, with Wicket in range and Obi's CE, and all of this in order to lose. Guess what happened :)
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:16:50 PM

I forgot, one more detail. 3 times Jonny was forced to double Cesta his own figures (GOWK bases, hits for 20, leaving them at 10 - so Jonny rightly uses the suicide Cesta) and 3 times he makes both saves. This slowed me down considerably and twice forced me to not kill off another Gungan to finish the one I was based with first.

I have no idea what the odds of that are, but he did it to me 3 different times. The first failed Cesta he had was on a 10hp Tarpals with Obi in base, which finally saved my GOWK once Cesta :)

Of course I was down to 40hps, and his Rex shot me 4 times, hitting them all, and guess how many SSM saves I made :)
IronLung
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:36:42 PM

I think I speak for the peeps that don't want SWM to ban anything just to fix it. It seems like you tried to take that road and you even have a hand in the development and it didn't work. With that in mind and all the business crap out of it I hope it seems like SWM could make a big mistake to me by not fixing something instead just make be like tolarian academy just a sweet magic card that you can't play with or even do anything with it.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:19:19 PM

i mean it would suck to have to ban any piece. (& i know now, i used to be on a wanna ban streak for any piece i didnt like or though was broken) And to say that if they were to ban him they would lose players is not right to me. I think that if they were to keep Gowk in the game then like someone said earlier in the thread that the game would become boring. And i dont know about anyone else but i stop doing something when i become bored with it.

I liked the idea of if anything atleast ban him atleast for a few more sets. Maybe to see if the Gowk craze dies down (Which i dont see it anytime soon) and to where in a few more sets seeing the new abilities to come out that maybe he wont be as good. But to keep him in this game and i'll repeat myself i wouldnt like to see any figure banned. But to keep him in this game i think would slowly kill the game.

Not even if people think he is an easy piece to beat or if your using him that he's an unstopple piece to beat. Just because in my opinion if he don't get banned i agree the game will become boring & its only a matter of time that people just dont wanna play the game anymore. In my opinion i think they should ban him.

Im not here to argue with anyone or anything like that, just wanted to speak my opinion because we are all players of StarWars Miniatures and i feel we all have a right to voice our opinions. So please dont take any of what i said to offense as it wasnt intended for that, it was just my opinion.
Loda
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:07:37 PM

Everyone argues over the most stupidest things.
I say bring it on! I like the challenge that GOWK is.
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:41:42 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

What are you all doing? This thread is based on fear... fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate... hate leads to sufferrrrring...
Rebel_Hero
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:59:20 PM

whats a gowk
Uggie Demo
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:11:09 PM

General Obi Wan-Kenobi
G O W K
Jonnyb815
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:29:56 PM

He was joking about whats Gowk.

Ok first off chicago was stacked. (Deri,Tim,Aaron,Matt,Bill,Lou,James, and some other good players). some of them lost in the first round to odd stuff or had to play each other in the early rounds knocking each other out thats what happened to bill and Aaron. Bill is good but there were a lot of players there that were on his level to a point. I know beating bill with what i had wont happen again. But my squad was pretty good if played right. If i would of had to play Lou i would of lost(GOBUCK).
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:56:26 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Maybe they should make a new mini... I'm referring to the One that will bring balance to the Force...
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:09:41 PM

why not they just institute a rotation of minis like whats done in so many other games? That way once GOWK gets too old he'll be rotated out of standard competitive play. Now I know some of you may not like it because you would also lose all the other old stuff over time, but I for one have no issue with that. It just means one needs to be more inventive with the new. Maybe that's just me though, I've played ALOT of other minis and collectible card games besides SWM that have done similar so maybe I'm just used to it.
Tirade
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:28:46 PM

IronLung wrote:
I think I speak for the peeps that don't want SWM to ban anything just to fix it. It seems like you tried to take that road and you even have a hand in the development and it didn't work. With that in mind and all the business crap out of it I hope it seems like SWM could make a big mistake to me by not fixing something instead just make be like tolarian academy just a sweet magic card that you can't play with or even do anything with it.

"Scott, you just don't get it, do ya?"

Seriously, are you missing all this talk about not having the option to fix GOWK? He has already been issued errata by Rob. That's what has led to this mess. If the lead DCI content manager (Dean) can't get a hold of Rob, what chance does anyone else have? So guess what, this means the players have two choices for DCI play:

1) allow GOWK
2) Ban GOWK

That's it. At present, there is no fixing GOWK. That is NOT an option. Until Rob says it is, looking at a fix is pointless. The good of the competitive game hinges on giving GOWK the boot. That doesn't mean, however, that he would be banned for the remainder of the game. Nothing is forever.