RegisterDonateLogin

All visitors within 6 squares must tell a friend about Bloo Milk; save 11

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

V-Set 14 official list Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 2:10:56 PM
Groups: Member

General_Grievous wrote:
Great job on the pics! And sweet previews! Long live Death Watch!

I'm excited about Bo Katan. Tell us what squads you think she'll work best in.

Are all Death Watch builds viable?
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 4:25:18 PM

I would probably start here

44 Darth Maul, Death Watch Overlord
37 Bo Katan, Death Watch Leutentint
37 Tor Vizsla, Death Watch Founder
29 Pre Vizsla
18 Death Watch Assassin
20 Death Watch Saboteur x2
15 Death Watch Mercenary x3

Lots of cool options for reinforcements. Another Assassin, or a mando Scout, or gunslinger, or gunsmith, or even a blademaster if you were against an all jedi squad or needed some melee interference.

You could swap 2 of the mercs for a 3rd sab, but I like the idea of the mercs popping out, shooting and then using agile to get back to safety.

TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 8:54:39 PM

urbanjedi wrote:

I like the idea of the mercs popping out, shooting and then using agile to get back to safety.

Oh good point! I like that.

It's a tough challenge to build Mandos without Kelborn, as resolnare will always be missed.

Agile all around is nice, but it probably doesn't make up for what Kelborn gives in terms of movement.

That said - there is a LOT of power in that squad
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:56:56 AM

I'd probably drop Tor for Kelborn and another sabateur in Jason's squad above, and forgo the reinforcement becoming Darth watch.

But it is a tiny bit of motivation to go 100% deathwatch. Perhaps future pieces can promote that as well
donnyrides
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2017 6:24:05 PM

--Bo Knows Death Watch--
45 Darth Maul, Death Watch Overlord
38 Bo
28 Kelborn
23 Mandalorian Captain
38 Death Watch Assassin x2
44 Death Watch Saboteur x4
3 Mouse Droid

Lots of firepower with Maul to provide close quarters support.

Was also thinking of a this

--Bo knows mercs--
45 Darth Maul, Death Watch Overlord
38 Bo
28 Kelborn
24 Mercenary Commander
23 Mandalorian Captain
19 Death Watch Assassin
36 Death Watch Mercenary x6
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2017 9:46:11 PM

I notice there are only FIVE Rebel characters for Rogue One...
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2017 11:53:44 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:

Baze and Chirrut double piece? Or maybe one will be in the standard set? Cassian was always shady
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 6:20:37 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:

Baze and Chirrut double piece?

Nope. Even though they are the first depiction of an onscreen gay couple in Star Wars,we are not doing them as a double piece.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 6:22:41 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:
maybe one will be in the standard set?

Did you notice how many Rebel slots we have in the main set? Wink
Kamikaze13
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 10:21:25 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Nope. Even though they are the first depiction of an onscreen gay couple in Star Wars,we are not doing them as a double piece.

Wait, what? I going to need a source for that. If you are just going by the movie I'm going to have to assume you also think Obi-Wan and Anakin were gay lovers.
Echo24
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 10:46:54 AM

Kamikaze13 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Wait, what? I going to need a source for that. If you are just going by the movie I'm going to have to assume you also think Obi-Wan and Anakin were gay lovers.

There is no source for that. Gareth Edwards has specifically been asked and stated that if you want to read that into the story, that's fine, but nowhere has it ever officially been state that either Baze or Chirrut were homosexual. There's plenty of subtext, but nothing explicit. A middle grade novel about the pair actually comes out tomorrow, but it's unlikely that it specifically depicts them as gay, either (although hey, maybe). The only even somewhat official thing I've ever seen about it is a quote from Edwards when directly asked about it saying "I don't mind people reading into [Chirrut and Baze's relationship]. I think that's all good. Who knows? You'd have to speak to them."

I think it would be great for an LGBT individual (or couple) to be depicted in the Star Wars universe, like Sulu in the new Star Trek films. But I don't think Rogue One deserves much credit for breaking any ground for giving this "Hey maybe they're gay?" subtleness.

ETA: Here's another few Gareth Edwards quotes on the subject: “That wasn’t the original intention,” Edwards said of the characters possibly being romantically linked. “But I understand that people can translate it that way. After a while, it was something that became interesting. Donnie asked, ‘What do you think these guys are? What do you think their relationship really is?’ And he asked if that was the case.”...“I felt like, ‘You know what? If these were real people and I was filming them, I wouldn’t know. It’s not something we would see; they would keep it to themselves.’ For all I know, a little bit of that might be going on under the surface.”...“Genuinely, if the audience wants to take that away from it, I’m very happy. I’d be very proud to have brought something like that to Star Wars.”
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 10:58:18 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:

HEY NOW. HEEEEY NOW.

Hold on a second.

Wow. That just happened.

The Rebels got totally skipped in a main set. Never thought I'd see the day Flapper

Please, somebody tell me that Bodhi Rook is the one that got skipped... he's cool and all, but massive chain gun > Pilot, comedic droid > Pilot, other main character > Pilot, and blind not-quite-Jedi > pilot.

WAIT! I KNOW! Bodhi will be Imperial with Rebel affinity!
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 11:45:42 AM

Echo24 wrote:
I think it would be great for an LGBT individual (or couple) to be depicted in the Star Wars universe

+1

With the exception that I think it would be great for an LGBT individual (or couple) to be depicted in the Star Wars MOVIE

There are already several official canon LGBT characters.

I think JJ Abrams put it best:

JJ Abrams wrote:
(JJ Abrams speaking out to address the growing fan rumours and petitions for gay characters in the Star Wars universe.)

“To me, the fun of Star Wars is the glory of possibility," he says.

"So it seems insanely narrow-minded and counterintuitive to say that there wouldn’t be a homosexual character in that world.”

“When I talk about inclusivity it’s not excluding gay characters," he added. "It’s about inclusivity. So, of course.”

The unfortunate reason Edwards couldn't be more forward about Chirrut and Baze's relationship comes down to money.

The Sunday Express wrote:
Major markets like Russia, Asia and, crucially, China are far less accepting of anything that supports or promotes homosexuality.

China is already the fastest-growing film market in the world and is on course to become the biggest.

Only a small number of foreign films are approved for release each year in China, so Hollywood faces a potential loss of hundreds of millions of dollars if a film won’t be screened there.

Positive depictions of gay relationships are generally censored by the Chinese film board and Disney have invested a whopping $4billion in the Star Wars franchise.

Any kind of risk with such a sensitive market seems highly unlikely.

The Disney overlords are walking the line of subtlety to be more inclusive while giving homophobic fans no solid proof for them to boycott over. The less enlightened fans can have their plausible deniability while the rationale world can see a beautiful relationship for what it is. Above all - Disney makes as much money as possible.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 11:53:54 AM

. . . and as not to derail the thread completely -

CorellianComedian wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:

HEY NOW. HEEEEY NOW.

Hold on a second.

Wow. That just happened.

The Rebels got totally skipped in a main set. Never thought I'd see the day Flapper

Please, somebody tell me that Bodhi Rook is the one that got skipped... he's cool and all, but massive chain gun > Pilot, comedic droid > Pilot, other main character > Pilot, and blind not-quite-Jedi > pilot.

WAIT! I KNOW! Bodhi will be Imperial with Rebel affinity!

Yup - no rebels in our main set.

We do have one character from Rogue One in our main set - but not one most people would guess.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 12:16:12 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:

We are the first V-set ever to not do a rebel in the main set, but since they are released in tandem the subset more than makes up for it.

There were 4 WotC main sets that didn't have rebels. Clone Strike, Revenge of the Sith, the Clone Wars and Galaxy at War.

So it's not been done since 15 sets ago
Kamikaze13
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 1:04:24 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
The less enlightened fans can have their plausible deniability while the rationale world can see a beautiful relationship for what it is.

I think I'll just let that slide so I don't escalate the situation any more.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 1, 2017 1:25:53 PM

Yuuzhan Vong Paratrooper -

What are thoughts on this piece?

Anyone excited about "paradropping" a big bad Vong unique, then tag teaming the enemy using Flank?
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 12:51:22 PM

Paratrooping looks cool. I hope some of the other factions get something similar - granted, nobody else really needs to be able to air-drop their tanks, but actual soldiers with Forward Positioning (instead of just artillery and the odd commander) look awesome.

Like, I would almost be willing to sit down and figure out Vong just to use paratroopers.

That Recruit puzzles me, though. Is there some spectacular bonus to Melee Attacks coming up? Is the GA getting Overload? Dual Weapon Use? Are they coming to counter Shien style?
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:13:18 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:

That Recruit puzzles me, though. Is there some spectacular bonus to Melee Attacks coming up? Is the GA getting Overload? Dual Weapon Use? Are they coming to counter Shien style?

They are now the cheapest piece in NR. They are a scrub that has agile, good fodder killer.

Col Jacen Solo also gives them satchel charge. Scrubs with satchel charge and agile are quite handy.

and there might be another indirect boost to this figure too

saber1
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:18:02 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Echo24 wrote:
I think it would be great for an LGBT individual (or couple) to be depicted in the Star Wars universe

+1

With the exception that I think it would be great for an LGBT individual (or couple) to be depicted in the Star Wars MOVIE

There are already several official canon LGBT characters.

I think JJ Abrams put it best:

JJ Abrams wrote:
(JJ Abrams speaking out to address the growing fan rumours and petitions for gay characters in the Star Wars universe.)

“To me, the fun of Star Wars is the glory of possibility," he says.

"So it seems insanely narrow-minded and counterintuitive to say that there wouldn’t be a homosexual character in that world.”

“When I talk about inclusivity it’s not excluding gay characters," he added. "It’s about inclusivity. So, of course.”

The unfortunate reason Edwards couldn't be more forward about Chirrut and Baze's relationship comes down to money.

The Sunday Express wrote:
Major markets like Russia, Asia and, crucially, China are far less accepting of anything that supports or promotes homosexuality.

China is already the fastest-growing film market in the world and is on course to become the biggest.

Only a small number of foreign films are approved for release each year in China, so Hollywood faces a potential loss of hundreds of millions of dollars if a film won’t be screened there.

Positive depictions of gay relationships are generally censored by the Chinese film board and Disney have invested a whopping $4billion in the Star Wars franchise.

Any kind of risk with such a sensitive market seems highly unlikely.

The Disney overlords are walking the line of subtlety to be more inclusive while giving homophobic fans no solid proof for them to boycott over. The less enlightened fans can have their plausible deniability while the rationale world can see a beautiful relationship for what it is. Above all - Disney makes as much money as possible.

I hope they avoid such a politically charged topic. Its unnecessary to the story of Star Wars and would likely end up a distraction. The topic's been broached in novels, don't inject PC into the movies. Just my 2 cents.