RegisterDonateLogin

Oh, maxi big da Milk…

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

V-Set 14 official list Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 6:29:40 AM
Groups: Member

theultrastar wrote:

Dowutin Soldier offers some interesting new abilities (or new to me anyways) with Fortified and Phalanx Formation.

They are new (as is Advanced Diffusion Armor). They are essentailly big damage soak melee interference. They get boosted nicely by the Arkanian Jedi General. It takes a good bit to bring them down while not adjacent. The hope is that encourages quicker engagement by the enemy.
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:44:50 AM

Advanced Diffusion Armor is going to be fun to break with healers. Their large base makes them sort of like massive diplomats that can bring a powerful punch.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 8:13:12 AM

donnyrides wrote:
Advanced Diffusion Armor is going to be fun to break with healers. Their large base makes them sort of like massive diplomats that can bring a powerful punch.

We play tested with healers. It wasn't broken that we saw.

The ability shuts off if you get adjacent. They go down quickly to an adjacent attacker.

I guess if your opponent insists of attacking from a far you could have success with that.
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 8:36:17 AM

What happens if they get DR10? Do you get to use it if take only 10 damage in the first place?
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 9:19:57 AM

donnyrides wrote:
What happens if they get DR10? Do you get to use it if take only 10 damage in the first place?

The 10 damage is unavoidable. If you get hit not adjacent - you take 10 damage. Period
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 10:18:40 AM

That's too bad. 1 more loss for Forn. Would have been nice if "may" would have been added.

Such as:
[Whenever this character takes damage, it may reduce the damage to 10. If this ability is used, this damage cannot be prevented or redirected. Adjacent enemies ignore this ability.]

oh well... I'm sure I'm the only person who thinks this way. I just badly want to find a useful way to use Forn and I was thinking this might have been it.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 10:36:23 AM

donnyrides wrote:
I just badly want to find a useful way to use Forn and I was thinking this might have been it.

DarkDracul's Frosty con squad used it well.

It was like an Arkanian Jedi General, Aric Jorgan, 4/5 OR Troopers (the triple attacking ones) Forn, and filler
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:17:56 AM

bump to clear bot adds from main page
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:45:34 AM

donnyrides wrote:
That's too bad. 1 more loss for Forn. Would have been nice if "may" would have been added.

Such as:
[Whenever this character takes damage, it may reduce the damage to 10. If this ability is used, this damage cannot be prevented or redirected. Adjacent enemies ignore this ability.]

oh well... I'm sure I'm the only person who thinks this way. I just badly want to find a useful way to use Forn and I was thinking this might have been it.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

As it turns out - it is closer to what you wanted after all the navigating of weird word interactions and rules lawyering.

Essentially -

Diffusion Armor is on only when taking more than X damage
* If damage is more than X, immediately reduce to X and take the damage (irreducible).
* If damage is X or less, Diffusion Armor has no effect and you could use DR10 or something else to reduce it.
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:04:08 AM

^^ I was rereading this over and over again as well and found the wording to be pretty solid. From what it says, anytime you take damage, reduce to 10.

I was just hoping that you could pick the order in which they trigger. So if you take 10 damage, I would pick DR10 to trigger first resulting in 0 damage. If hit for 20, then it wouldn't matter which one triggered first and if hit for more than 20, armor would trigger first thus negating DR10 from getting a chance to work based on the unavoidable damage clause at the end of the armor ability.

Advanced Diffusion Armor [Whenever this character takes damage, reduce the damage to 10. This damage cannot be prevented or redirected. Adjacent enemies ignore this ability.]

Unless your wording is incorrect on page one of this thread, I don't understand your post..
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:09:40 AM

donnyrides wrote:
^^ I was rereading this over and over again as well and found the wording to be pretty solid. From what it says, anytime you take damage, reduce to 10.

The wording was changed slightly in QC. I won't go down the rabbit hole of why, but here is the final wording:

Advanced Diffusion Armor [Whenever this character takes more than 10 damage, immediately reduce the damage to 10. The reduced damage cannot be prevented or redirected. Adjacent enemies ignore this ability.]

So now it's a bit more clear that it only works when they take OVER 10 damage, and THAT damage cannot be reduced.

If they only take 10 damage, the ability never "turns on", and thus you can use DR/Shields/etc
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:41:11 PM

We had 2 new Previews on last weeks SHNN.

I posted one with full stats on the original post. The other I will let someone else post here. Listened to the show? Feel free to share the stats here.
SithBot
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:22:41 PM

Why is it unfortunate?
I like their characters as is, good good friends.
I have done best friends that have the same type of relationship.
There is no need for a lbgt character in star wars. If there was one I would just hope it would be natural and not forced. Nothing worse than "forced inclusion" .
Feels so tacky.
Like this "flirting" with rather Poe and Finn are gay. If it happens it happens, just make it natural.
Think Korra the Avatar type deal.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:48:43 PM

Wait wait wait... c3po isn't,gay...?
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:02:06 PM

. . . sooooo

What does everyone think about the Mandalorian Defenseman? What squads will they be useful against?
Cassus fett
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:06:04 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
. . . sooooo

What does everyone think about the Mandalorian Defenseman? What squads will they be useful against?

Nice Caedus counter. It also helps shut down silly intuition shenanigans (which are some of my favorite shenanigans I might addFlapper).

Defense Beacon needs a re-wording it's awful confusing.

And a question if I may… Why singular focus and stealth?
donnyrides
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:04:29 AM

I think it's incredibly specialized. It would work best as a reinforcement since it can't really be buffed. I hope a new reasonable Mando piece comes out with reinforcements X. It's nice to get a new lowest cost mando. Previously it was 6 points. I also don't understand why it slapped with the unbuffable bug...
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:13:15 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
. . . sooooo

Cassus fett wrote:
Nice Caedus counter. It also helps shut down silly intuition shenanigans

It looks like Pin Down is clear, but here's the glossary entry anyway

Pin Down
Glossary: If an enemy is both within 6 squares of this character and within line of sight, then that enemy cannot move before the first activation of the round. Allies within 6 squares cannot be moved by enemies' abilities or commander effects before the first activation each round.

Cassus fett wrote:
Defense Beacon needs a re-wording it's awful confusing.

That is the final wording based on ultra economy of words (as must be done for abilities). Here's the glossary that should clear things up:

Defense Beacon
Glossary: Enemies that begin their turn adjacent or become adjacent are affected for the rest of the turn. Affected enemies may not make a second attack this turn if they have moved more than 6 squares, and affected enemies who have made a second attack may not move more than 6 squares. If an enemy has already moved at least 6 squares and attacked more than once this turn when they become adjacent, they may not attack or move for the rest of the turn.

So - what it really stops are speedy multi-attackers. IE - strafe, galloping attack, etc.

If at any point during an enemies turn they are adjacent to this character, then they are effected (the signal has been sent and the defenses are raised).

Have they moved over 6 squares? They can only attack once total that turn.
Have they attacked more than once? They can only move 6 squares total (or less) that turn
Have they already moved over 6 squares and attacked more than once that turn when they become adjacent? Stop movement right there and no more attacks.

Strategic placement can give long strafes and gallops (and other speedy scissor abilities) difficulties.

Cassus fett wrote:
And a question if I may… Why singular focus and stealth?

donnyrides wrote:
I also don't understand why it slapped with the unbuffable bug...

Stealth so they don't simply get easily sniped across the board. In universe the idea is that they are akin to a perimeter unit, hiding on the border with the purpose of hindering enemy entry and early warning to allies about such enemies - allowing the allies to fortify and prepare for an imminent attack.

We really wanted them to be a purely defensive unit. They are cheap and have a lot of tricks. We never wanted them to have a use being spammed, especially as a piece with offensive potential. We hope that they'll be enticing enough to throw one or 2 in a squad - or bring some as a reinforcement.

Singular Focus currently really only stops Fire Support Mission (which is significant and the main intent). Beyond that, you never know what future buffs they can get, and it's quite clear that the majority of the community are not fans of uber-boosted cheap NU swarms.

It's also an ability that has high reusability. As this game goes on - since we don't rotate sets or make pieces illegal - everything expands exponentially. It gets harder and harder to not have an 'oops'. And what might have been a small 'oops' in the past could be a massive 'oops' now. This ability gives assurance in preventing that.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:17:25 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
We had 2 new Previews on last weeks SHNN.

I posted one with full stats on the original post. The other I will let someone else post here. Listened to the show? Feel free to share the stats here.

The other piece is pretty exciting (imo). Anyone want to post stats here from the show so others can see?
donnyrides
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:50:19 AM

I really wish we could adjust "Attack". Things could be so much easier if an "Attack" was 1 "Strike" and "Twin Attack" meant an additional "Strike" per "Attack".

So that way things like "cannot make additional Attacks" would mean a person with double twin would make 1 Attack with 2 strikes.

Other confusing things like Leia giving "1 Rebel follower within 6 squares can make 1 immediate attack at +4 Attack and +10 Damage." This would mean that both strikes from Twin attack would get the bonus and if meant otherwise, the wording could be "1 immediate "strike"" which would not trigger twin attack.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm not certain that Defense Beacon stops twin attack from firing.
Defense Beacon [This turn, an enemy that started or became adjacent to this character cannot both move more than 6 squares and attack more than once]

Twin Attack [Whenever this character attacks, it makes 1 extra attack against the same target]

To me it would stop GMA and Double/Triple/Quadruple but not twin.

You run up 8 and are able to attack the mando player with twin. The mando player says, "you can only attack once". The Twin Attack player says, "that's fine, I'm only making 1 attack, but I'm going to carry out what Twin Attack says in the same method as if an extra attack was given as in the case with Leia's CE."

I know, I'm crazy...but this "Attack" term has always caused problems for me because of twin.