RegisterDonateLogin

It might help if you got out and pushed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Week 78 - Snipe Hunting! Options
saber1
Posted: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:09:41 PM
Groups: Member

Make a character who has the Sniper special ability or boosts characters with the Sniper ability. Any faction, any uniqueness, new mechanics or existing abilities etc as long as the character is significantly focused towards sniping.

Have fun!

The fine print...
1. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)

2. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )

3. Voting works as follows, pick your three favorite customs based on accuracy to the character, design, balance or whatever you decide makes the best incarnation of the challenge character. First place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd place receives 1 point.

4. You do not have to enter the contest in order to vote. But unless you enter you must have at lest 10 forum posts.

5. To make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. You must choose three characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.

6. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive. Ties will be broken by most 1st place votes, then if still tied, 2nd place votes and then 3rd place votes. If still tied, then the outcome is a tie.

7. You may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline.

You will have until Sat, November 11th, 2017 @8pm EST to get your submissions in. Anything submitted after this point will not be included in the voting.

Voting will start at 8pm on Saturday evening and end at 10pm EST on Monday, November 13th ,2017.
At the conclusion of the voting the scores will be tallied and the winner will start a new topic with their choice of theme.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:56:37 PM

Well there is this one Sniper I really want to make better...

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/28426/ronderu-lij-kummar
saber1
Posted: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:39:28 PM

General_Grievous wrote:

Lol! I should have known!
jak
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:02:46 AM

Lord_Ball
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:20:09 AM

Going with something basic this time
Army Of Light Archer
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:04:35 AM

At first I really wasn't interested (nothing personal Saber Cool ) but then I said, why not, go dig around in the archives.

After the movie "American Sniper" came out, I thought "What would the Star Wars version look like?

This is what I came up with ......

Kyuzo Sharpshooter Instructor I probably should've eliminated the word "Instructor" since I decided at the last minute to take out a CE, but I left it in anyway, more as a sign that this guy knows how to do it right.

Giving him Assassin or BH would've been a cop-out and I tried to create some new SA's that a real sniper would have/use/employ.

He is what he is.

cheers,

surf
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:11:13 AM

saber1 wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:

Lol! I should have known!

Hahaha you really should have hahaha.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:16:42 AM

Dang Surf that is a beastly Sniper. Some really solid stuff there, my only two gripes is kill shot already and costs and it's called overwhelming power, identical wording so you can change to that. And I also feel like this guy has too many SA even for hus cost haha. But I honestly can't decide which one(s) to drop as they all fit really well and Sniper's blind/double tap are both epic. Maybe up the cost to 50 and leave so your squad becomes just 4 of these guys max and is thematically appropriate for how real Sniper teams operate
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:36:51 AM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/28429/reconnaissance-patrol-scout

Need help costing this piece. Hard to cost imo.
saber1
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:38:03 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
At first I really wasn't interested (nothing personal Saber Cool ) but then I said, why not, go dig around in the archives.

After the movie "American Sniper" came out, I thought "What would the Star Wars version look like?

This is what I came up with ......

Kyuzo Sharpshooter Instructor I probably should've eliminated the word "Instructor" since I decided at the last minute to take out a CE, but I left it in anyway, more as a sign that this guy knows how to do it right.

Giving him Assassin or BH would've been a cop-out and I tried to create some new SA's that a real sniper would have/use/employ.

He is what he is.

cheers,

surf

No offense taken and great work. We are approaching this with similar thoughts, given your entry. While I really dig Double Tap, that feels a bit more like an up-close assassin as snipers often won't get a second shot due to distance, movement, cover. Kill Shot is also cool but to keep it differentiated, I suggest adding wording that it works if damage from attack would reduce HP to zero or some such.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:51:37 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
Dang Surf that is a beastly Sniper. Some really solid stuff there, my only two gripes is kill shot already and costs and it's called overwhelming power, identical wording so you can change to that. And I also feel like this guy has too many SA even for hus cost haha. But I honestly can't decide which one(s) to drop as they all fit really well and Sniper's blind/double tap are both epic. Maybe up the cost to 50 and leave so your squad becomes just 4 of these guys max and is thematically appropriate for how real Sniper teams operate

Well, yes, Overwhelming Power is worded the same, but I said I got this out of the archives and I always thought OP was more of a melee attack effect and I wanted to differentiate a ranged effect from a melee effect, even if its the same thing. As to the 8 SA's, yes, that's about 3-4 more than I normally give, but this is "THE" ultimate sniper type in a large galaxy so he Should thematically do all this ...... overkill but he actually did come out to that cost .....
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:53:47 AM

saber1 wrote:
No offense taken and great work. We are approaching this with similar thoughts, given your entry. While I really dig Double Tap, that feels a bit more like an up-close assassin as snipers often won't get a second shot due to distance, movement, cover. Kill Shot is also cool but to keep it differentiated, I suggest adding wording that it works if damage from attack would reduce HP to zero or some such.

Double Tap just came to me and while its rightly Not a sniper ability as such, it was too cool not to use it and besides, he's an alien with different reflexes so why not?

Let me think on Kill Shot .....
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 11:47:47 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
saber1 wrote:

Double Tap just came to me and while its rightly Not a sniper ability as such, it was too cool not to use it and besides, he's an alien with different reflexes so why not?

Let me think on Kill Shot .....

I'll support you on the double tap Surf. Depends on the type of sniping. Actually single shot is more accurate for assassination missions, but double tap is absolutely appropriate for closer range (SWM ranges) style tactical sniping which is often done with semi-automatics. Also look at my Canadian brothers in arms and their world record sniper kill, it took many shots to actually finally connect with the enemy. Almost want an ability if you miss you may immediately make another attack haha.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 11:50:52 AM

Also excellent choice on the topic for this week. In Canada this weekend is our Remembrance Day to honour fallen soliders in our nation's past wars. So fitting to be doing a military theme, well done.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:29:57 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Agree, great topic.
I will have to put some thought into this to differentiate from the many solid entries already posted. Unsure
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:09:04 PM

OK, this is an unpolished mess, in my mind anyway, lol.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/28432/elite-reconnaissance-officer

I was trying to go a Sith trooper direction since jen'ari already did a Mando, but kept hitting landmines (stupid Elite Gunner etc), and it just didn't seem to fit anyway, so another Mando...
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:53:57 PM

saber1 wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
...stuff...

surf

...While I really dig Double Tap, that feels a bit more like an up-close assassin as snipers often won't get a second shot due to distance, movement, cover. Kill Shot is also cool but to keep it differentiated, I suggest adding wording that it works if damage from attack would reduce HP to zero or some such.

I second this suggestion for Kill Shot, as it seems spot on.

As to Double Tap, I'm seeing it essentially as a Twin that triggers on a crit, but it isn't worded quite that way. If it works that way, then if the target makes its Avoid Defeat saves after taking a Kill Shot (doesn't stop AD) he just gets popped again. Bomb Awesome.
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, November 9, 2017 2:48:22 PM

swinefeld wrote:
saber1 wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
...stuff...

surf

...While I really dig Double Tap, that feels a bit more like an up-close assassin as snipers often won't get a second shot due to distance, movement, cover. Kill Shot is also cool but to keep it differentiated, I suggest adding wording that it works if damage from attack would reduce HP to zero or some such.

As to Double Tap, I'm seeing it essentially as a Twin that triggers on a crit, but it isn't worded quite that way. If it works that way, then if the target makes its Avoid Defeat saves after taking a Kill Shot (doesn't stop AD) he just gets popped again. Bomb Awesome.

Actually not sure if I understood what you and Saber said, Swine, but I came up with this

Kill Shot (This character's attacks cannot be prevented, added to, reduced or redirected this turn.)

Haven't added it to the card yet; still thinking.

Double Tap - Your comment begs the question; can AD be used twice in one attack if I understand you?
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, November 9, 2017 5:23:52 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
saber1 wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
...stuff...

surf

Actually not sure if I understood what you and Saber said, Swine, but I came up with this

Kill Shot (This character's attacks cannot be prevented, added to, reduced or redirected this turn.)

Haven't added it to the card yet; still thinking.

Double Tap - Your comment begs the question; can AD be used twice in one attack if I understand you?

AD can be used multiple times in a turn, but only once per attack. AD does not happen until after damage is applied, so it's not redirecting or preventing damage. It is its own effect, happening just before the character is removed from the board. My reference to AD was in it's (potential) interaction with both Kill Shot and Double Tap.

Double Tap implies you are shooting the same character twice, but your wording seems more like Flurry which allows choosing a different legal target if available. I might word it like Deadly+Twin:

Double Tap (Scores a critical hit on an attack roll of natural 19 or 20, then makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

As far as Kill Shot, I think I'm on the same page with Saber (if not, he'll correct me). It's basically Overwhelming as worded. More interesting if it kicks in when it would kill the enemy:

Kill Shot (If this character's attack would defeat the target, it's attack cannot be prevented or redirected)

That still doesn't get around Avoid Defeat, Leia Hoth CE etc. If you want it to stick, you'll need to use wording like Amphistaff (and then some, as it doesn't cover other character's abilities/FPs/CEs).

*edit: actually, the wording might be simpler than I think (I'm pondering)

The last (amusing and very situational) wrinkle that popped into my head earlier was...if you kill the piece with a crit on your normal attack and it AD's successfully, it's still there and you Double Tap it, lol. (it can try again if you hit again)

How do you want it to work?

blemelisk
Posted: Thursday, November 9, 2017 5:32:17 PM

here is mine:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/28437/specforce-sniper

the ability One Shot One Kill in this case has a 1% chance of occurring (with things that can still prevent it per its description) on any other character (with a crit range of 20 only) it would only occur with a chance of .25%.

This ability might be too weak.

I chose her defensive abilities as it is realistic for a sniper to be at a serious disadvantage if he or she has to move on the battlefield, thus I didnt take the normal cloak ability.

She is VERY lethal, and if left alone would be devastating (as any sniper would be), but she isnt exactly difficult to kill, just melee her and she will go down pretty quickly. (or if she keeps fleeing, you have effectively neutralized her), so for her to be in your squad youd likely want to protect her somehow or do you best to keep the enemy away while she sits there and picks them off. You know....just like any other sniper.

obligatory: