RegisterDonateLogin

It might help if you got out and pushed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GenCon 2018 Event Updates and Reports Options
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 5:35:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

No chance of a tie.
Playoffs = keep playing until there is a winner.

Is it possible to reach a stalemate? That would be hilarious.
I guess it would fall back to the tie-breakers if that happened.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 5:46:13 PM
Groups: Member

Echo24 wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
I'm beginning to think the radio silence is just them trolling us. LOL

I came to this conclusion earlier today, especially considering who’s asking for updates.

Does this "conclusion" mean that since TN is asking for updates they are withholding them?

That would be amazing and obnoxious at the same time.

I didnt know the finals could even be played at a different day.

@jak, why try to stifle curiosity and excitement for the tournament?
It is quite salty since I had prepared to go but buying a house stopped me from attending.. which is bittersweet at this point. Especially seeing that I believe I would have brought a better squad then a lot of people.
Moving in tomorrow with no money haha. but I have a CiCi's coupon so life is good.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 5:46:20 PM

If all characters are dead and the score is tied (final characters off each other with Self Destruct or Missiles or something like that which kills them simultaneously), I believe you just roll a die and high roll wins.

My previous post was mostly in jest. Also, the finals used to ALWAYS be a different day from the Swiss rounds; Swiss was all day Saturday, top 8 was Sunday morning.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 5:46:50 PM

swinefeld wrote:
No chance of a tie.

I stand by the initial game was played, then an error was found, and they fixed the game and have to either play again, or just call it
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 5:49:39 PM

shmi15 wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
No chance of a tie.

I stand by the initial game was played, then an error was found, and they fixed the game and have to either play again, or just call it

huh?? what kind of error could force a replay? That woud be like the Pacers and Cavs replaying their last game because they determined that Lebron did goaltend. hahaha.
or replay game 1 of the finals just to give JR Smith a chance to do things right.

but really it should happen for the Croatia Vs France World Cup Final.
That reffed helped France more than the US did in WW2
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 6:11:59 PM

Echo24 wrote:
If all characters are dead and the score is tied (final characters off each other with Self Destruct or Missiles or something like that which kills them simultaneously), I believe you just roll a die and high roll wins.

Yeah, that sounds right. I think that actually happened once or twice back in the day at my LGS. Smile
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 6:53:11 PM

I have decided with no one claiming victory that the King of the North shall do so! There you go everyone I claim victory of this Southern Gencon of yours and demand tribute, preferably in pepper or sheep or whatever currency is used there. And to add insult to injury my made-up-yet-totally-maybe-real-ok-no-it-is-not squad was:

40x Munn Guards
200 Points

My opponents surrendered at sight of my vastly superior numbers and the elongated bodies of my alien warriors!

All hail the North!
DarthMaim
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 8:16:51 PM

I've really gotta say that this is really pathetic. Is this what the SWM championship has come to at GenCon?????? What a joke! This is blatent disrespect and flat out just "who cares what the community thinks, and we'll tell them who won on our own blasted time in our sweet, lazy, "controlling" ways. Sorry for that last sentence. I'm really disappointed in Urban and Timmer. I really do like these guys. At least communicate what's going on to the die hard community members. This lack of camaraderie is for the birds, and is just plain stupidity. "Ray shields"; Come on guys, you are better than this. This is a sad turn of events in GenCon history. No transparency, whats so ever. You guys really owe the community an apology ThumbDown No Bloo Milk
DarthMaim
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 8:20:45 PM

There really is no excuse for not reporting results in a timely manner. I could understand if there were 90 participants, with top 8 on Sunday. But 14 peops, and no championship update or status, 2 days later????????? What the?????????????????
DarthMaim
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 8:27:47 PM

This is not just simply a couple guys playing a pick-up, "for fun" skirmish for Gods sake. It's not a state regional or Vassal tourney. It's the frickin' GenCon annual championship, that only happens once a year. What a blasted let down and a downer! Maybe 10 yrs ago, before all our current media technology. But in 2018???????? Really sad gentlemen Sad
DarthMaim
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 8:39:12 PM

What's really lacking here, at the core, is very simple; communication, order, and a clear set of rules of when the GenCon championship final round will be played. In the good old days, it was Saturday, followed up by top 8 on Sunday. Now in 2018 and moving forward, if it was ruled and explained exactly of what day and time the final would be played, that would have a more appropriate, classy arrangement ThumpUp
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 8:47:26 PM

To be fair, in the NZ Championships this year, there's an 11 day gap (currently happening) between the Swiss rounds and the top 4 playoffs.
DarthMaim
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 8:52:23 PM

TheHutts wrote:
To be fair, in the NZ Championships this year, there's an 11 day gap (currently happening) between the Swiss rounds and the top 4 playoffs.

Hey, if I'm in the minority here, and I am too much of a traditionalist, old school dinosaur, then my bad. If I'm blowing it out of proportion, and if the community thinks I am out of line, then I apologize. I'm just venting and bummed that it just "feels" not the same anymore, and has lost it's luster and magic for me.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 9:22:31 PM

All I can say is that I'm as much in the dark as anyone else here, fwiw. I truly have no info.

In the meantime, I will drop 3 Muun Guards for the Colonel and soundly defeat General Grievous in the (almost) mirror match.

All hail Little Egypt! Bomb Razz BlooMilk
shmi15
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:23:11 PM

What if there was no championship tournament at all....
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:56:39 PM

shmi15 wrote:
What if there was no championship tournament at all....

GenCon , Star Wars Minis, Jedi, the Force, all of it... FAKE NEWS! Tongue
Echo24
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 1:45:28 AM

TheHutts wrote:

I don’t think the time gap is really a problem; the annoyance is not knowing what is happening or why. Did they play Thursday night and just not tell anybody outside Indianapolis? Are they playing the final Sunday? I doubt anyone would mind whatever arrangement was decided, but I can fully understand the frustration around not knowing anything at this point.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 3:02:01 AM

DarthMaim wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

Hey, if I'm in the minority here, and I am too much of a traditionalist, old school dinosaur, then my bad. If I'm blowing it out of proportion, and if the community thinks I am out of line, then I apologize. I'm just venting and bummed that it just "feels" not the same anymore, and has lost it's luster and magic for me.

@thehutts, which everyone knew about that day.....
@darthmaim, you are not in the minority it's only that the majority is a minority haha.
Everyone that did not get to go is upset with pack of communication. It makes one speculate on what happened, but some kind of statement should be posted even a "something went down, trying to sort it out". I do know that the game was supposed to be played that night.

So it's been a long time since then.
droidadmiral
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 3:28:12 AM

Sure. I'll play devils advocate here... so maybe they are doing this to help convince you to go to gencon next year and it's for the good of the game. Seriously now many people have been on here waiting for the results? Those people have now seen comment after comment about the new set that just came out. And maybe they even looked at the new squads from the set and got inspired. Also since they have kept us on for an extra day or two when they post the results the typical discussions will happen and that will extend the amount of time spent on bloomilk.

Brilliant.
Echo24
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:05:38 AM

I really don’t think there is a plot or conspiracy to keep it secret. Nobody cares about Bloomilk traffic enough for that. Most likely they just decided not to play Thursday because it was so late, then were busy with other events yesterday, and will play sometime today or tomorrow. The fact that it’s just guesses at this point isn’t great, though.