RegisterDonateLogin

For my ally is Bloo Milk. And a powerful ally it is.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Renegades and Rogues (contains spoilers for V-set 2. Full set list now up) Options
Weeks
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 1:27:13 AM
Groups: Member

adamb0nd wrote:

*Sigh* Another pilotless pilot.

I do like it. Nice little mesh of abilities. Extremely defensive for its point value.

If only we had a plan to make pilots good......
gwek
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 1:30:59 AM

swinefeld wrote:
adamb0nd wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
SHNN preview:

42. Chadra-Fan Pilot
cost 11
HP 30
Def 14
Att +6
Dmg 10

SA:
Pheromones
Stealth
Sting Beam (+10 damage against adjacent enemies. An adjacent living enemy hit by this character's attack is considered activated this round; save 11)

I do like it. Nice little mesh of abilities. Extremely defensive for its point value.

I'm blanking at the moment, but are there SAs and CEs that actually require the Pilot ability?
Otherwise, Pilot in the name counts as a Pilot.

Oddball's commander effect:

"Allied characters with Pilot gain Grenades 20 and Penetration 20. "

Not counting what R&R brings, there are no special abilities contingent on Pilot and only three commander effects (the other two are for "Pilot allies").

Per the first page of this thread, there are two additional commander effects. Tycho's is for "Pilot allies," but Dutch's is for "Allies with Pilot."

So, currently, this guy only benefits from 60% of pilot-related commander effects (assuming phrasing in this thread is correct and final).
billiv15
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 1:58:42 AM

gwek wrote:

Per the first page of this thread, there are two additional commander effects. Tycho's is for "Pilot allies," but Dutch's is for "Allies with Pilot."

So, currently, this guy only benefits from 60% of pilot-related commander effects (assuming phrasing in this thread is correct and final).

Sigh... From the Glossary, found right here on bloomilk... "A Pilot is any character with the word “Pilot” in its name or that has the Pilot special ability."

There is no difference between those two CEs.

And pointing out that there are 3 CEs that affect pilot's is pretty silly, considering that was one of the reasons we made that the theme of this set.... Relax people, there are multiple interactions for "pilots" as the game defines them coming out. I really don't believe that hasn't been made clear by now...
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 2:01:56 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I was under the understanding that that pilot was like mercenary. Having mercenary in your name does not make you susceptible to CE's that effect mercenary.

Just a misinterpretation.

I suppose the big difference is that mercenary has a mechanical effect on its own. Pilot being more like "soldier".
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 2:07:27 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

gwek wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
adamb0nd wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
SHNN preview:

42. Chadra-Fan Pilot
cost 11
HP 30
Def 14
Att +6
Dmg 10

SA:
Pheromones
Stealth
Sting Beam (+10 damage against adjacent enemies. An adjacent living enemy hit by this character's attack is considered activated this round; save 11)

I'm blanking at the moment, but are there SAs and CEs that actually require the Pilot ability?
Otherwise, Pilot in the name counts as a Pilot.

Oddball's commander effect:

"Allied characters with Pilot gain Grenades 20 and Penetration 20. "

Not counting what R&R brings, there are no special abilities contingent on Pilot and only three commander effects (the other two are for "Pilot allies").

Incorrect.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/19461498/Oddballs_CE?post_id=331112986#331112986

The thing is, Pilot/Trooper is different than Droid/Mercenary/Bounty Hunter, becase the special abilities for Droid, Mercenary, and Bounty Hunter actually do something, rather than being a trait that other effects reference. Which is why there was a problem when Xizor was released.

Pilot in the name is the same has having Pilot.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 2:08:41 AM

NVM

unrelated side note: the activation part of Sting Beam applies only to living (will update stat post)
gwek
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 2:47:30 AM

billiv15 wrote:
gwek wrote:

Sigh... From the Glossary, found right here on bloomilk... "A Pilot is any character with the word “Pilot” in its name or that has the Pilot special ability."

While I accept that you guys certainly know what you're doing, and the thread Sithborg points to seems to clear it up (although in a way that makes my head hurt to read, this glossary definition actual doesn't clarify everything.

It defines a "Pilot" (which would apply to "Pilot allies") as having two sub-sets (those whose name contains "Pilot" and those who have the special ability "Pilot").

It does NOT explicitly state, however, that a character with the Pilot special ability should be considered to be a character whose name contains Pilot (one of the two subsets noted above). It's basically the "All Nazis are German, but not all Germans are Nazis" logic argument.

I apologize for providing misleading information, but definition as stated is incomplete and I didn't realize I would have to trek to the WotC forums for the full answer! :)

Based on the incomplete answer, especially when I saw that the V-Set was using two different phrasings, I think I moved to a logical (if admittedly incorrect) conclusion.

Quote:

As a point of curiosity, why are they phrased differently?

Quote:
And pointing out that there are 3 CEs that affect pilot's is pretty silly, considering that was one of the reasons we made that the theme of this set.... Relax people, there are multiple interactions for "pilots" as the game defines them coming out. I really don't believe that hasn't been made clear by now...

Settle down, Beavis. Pointing out that there are currently 3 Ces for pilots wasn't a judgement. It was a statement of fact. No need to read anything into it.

Sigh... Paranoid much? :P
Hydrowhip
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 2:48:24 AM

swinefeld wrote:
SHNN preview:

42. Chadra-Fan Pilot
cost 11
HP 30
Def 14
Att +6
Dmg 10

SA:
Pheromones
Stealth

I think this is a great piece. Oddball and Jagged Fel can improve on their Pilot-ness as well as some of the R&R minis. Jabba CL can give em cunning and you can move them up against a melee piece to try to activate it. Verpine can give it jolt and Czerka, Whorm as well as new R2/C3PO can give it twin. Could be fun in NR squads.

Sure, you might not want to build it into a squad, but it makes a nice fringe reserves / reinfocements piece.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:16:57 AM

swinefeld wrote:

unrelated side note: the activation part of Sting Beam applies only to living (will update stat post)

Ack! Yeah, that's right.

I really should have read the actual wording on the card instead of the wording in a thread about the piece. I think I was looking at a pre-QC version. Sorry guys! Unsure
billiv15
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:20:03 AM

gwek wrote:

I apologize for providing misleading information, but definition as stated is incomplete and I didn't realize I would have to trek to the WotC forums for the full answer! :)

Based on the incomplete answer, especially when I saw that the V-Set was using two different phrasings, I think I moved to a logical (if admittedly incorrect) conclusion.

Lol, I don't agree that its incomplete at all. It's just one of those identyfiers that works like every other kind of identifier that doesn't actually do anything on its own. WotC had to update the glossary at some point for several of these, pilot was one of many. I suppose you could try to read if different if you wanted to, but it's been pretty clear what the meaning and rulings are for quite some time. Do you also misread or misunderstand "trooper"?

gwek wrote:
Quote:

As a point of curiosity, why are they phrased differently?
Easy answer, because it makes 0 difference and each of those CEs were modeled on different WotC wordings. Here's the current three that reflect pilots. Please note that they contain the same difference in wording and have 0 difference between them in terms of referring to pilots.

Jagged Fel Pilot followers gain Gregarious.
Odd Ball Allied characters with Pilot gain Grenades 20 and Penetration 20.
Wedge Antilles Pilot followers gain Evade.

In short, it makes no difference, the meaning is the same either way.

Tycho - "Pilot allies gain"
Dutch actually has two CEs on the same card that read, "Allies with pilot" and then later "Pilot followers"
KC reads - "Pilot followers".
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:30:48 AM

Echo24 wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

Ack! Yeah, that's right.

I really should have read the actual wording on the card instead of the wording in a thread about the piece. I think I was looking at a pre-QC version. Sorry guys! Unsure

Nope, you read it correctly. All the errors were my fault, but I couldn't fact-check until the download was available.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:41:11 AM

swinefeld wrote:
Echo24 wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

Ack! Yeah, that's right.

Nope, you read it correctly. All the errors were my fault, but I couldn't fact-check until the download was available.

Oh, well... there ya go! Laugh
gwek
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:16:02 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Do you also misread or misunderstand "trooper"?

No, because the definition for Trooper actually defines the significance of the special ability (whereas the definition for the Pilot special abilitiy offers the signicance of a Pilot CHARACTER). The "definition" is logically flawed on at least two points... all of which is ultimately irrelevant because the game play significance is understood.

On to other stuff...

Quote:

KC?
Kamikaze13
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:26:45 AM

The Klatooinian Captain is the only KC I can find in the set list. Confused
Dimetrodon
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:27:28 AM

billiv15 wrote:

In short, it makes no difference, the meaning is the same either way.

Tycho - "Pilot allies gain"
Dutch actually has two CEs on the same card that read, "Allies with pilot" and then later "Pilot followers"

there is a difference to an ally and a follower, those are fairly different meanings in the CE in that sense anyway. OK, so now ball busting aside...

Since you are moving the game forward and have full control, why not standardize how some commander effects are written? Especially the similar sounding ones.

If the phrases "Pilot allies gain" and " Allies with Pilot" have the same meaning why not have just stick with one wording instead of using both?

In the terms of defining a CE for followers vs. allies though that would be the same thing really, just choosing the phrasing you care for and going with either "Pilot followers gain" or "Followers with Pilot" whichever oen matches up to the "Allies" version.

I just don't understand the inconsistency in formatting.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:32:17 AM

As good as Nickname's "doomsday" glossary update was (excellent), there are still things that could be clarified with more direct wording, and Pilot is a good example, as it should just state directly that characters with Pilot in their name count as having the ability (in addition to what it already says).

It confused me momentarily until I referenced Sithborg's link. I probably had forgotten that was how it works, and if that is the case, then there is no way I would expect someone reading it [the glossary definition] for the first time to draw the correct conclusion.

Wordings should just be "Pilot allies", or "Pilot followers". Something to watch out for going forward. BlooMilk

Sithborg
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:39:36 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Understandably, the Oddball change in wording is odd, and it shouldn't be the preferred wording. It was something probably overlooked. Doesn't change it still works the same.
Hydrowhip
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 6:52:57 AM

So, anything else pop up on the SHNN other than the Chandra pilot?
gwek
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 7:10:35 AM

Just finished listening. The CFP was the officially spoiled piece. There are a few references to the Klatooinian Captain implying that he does indeed have a commander effect (or special ability?) geared toward pilots.
juice man
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 7:11:22 AM

Hydrowhip wrote:
So, anything else pop up on the SHNN other than the Chandra pilot?

Got some Pilot plans for Saturday ?