RegisterDonateLogin

Lock the door, and hope they don't have straws.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Creating A Possitive Forum Environment Options
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 7:52:44 AM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:

The "leadership committee" already exists. It's all past designers plus a few people who have contributed a lot to the game. It might be larger than you would like, it might not be structured the way you would like, it might not have the exact people you would like, and it might be doing as good a job as you would like, but it already exists.

Oh really?
what have they led us in?
what is there mantra? there philosophy? there direction?
Where is there production?
What have they stopped?
What direction do they give?
Who are they again?
Who decided they got to be our leaders?
Where does their authority come from?

FlyingArrow wrote:

The designers on a particular set largely have free reign because the rest of the leadership committee doesn't step in. But they could. If something was happening that was egregious enough and people were paying enough attention, the whole leadership committee could discuss it. There's card design, rules check, QC, fundraising, and distribution of the printed cards. All of that requires people outside the design team, so if everyone was united against something the design team was doing, it could be stopped.

The rest of the committee does not care.
How many of them are active?
How many of them want to be a part of the growth of the game?
They could? they haven't done a thing. They are not leaders at all.
Could!
were paying enough attention!
Could!
Could again!

thank you FlyingArrow you literally just proved that we do not have any sort of leadership at all.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:04:36 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jen'ari wrote:
They gave us the Vsets to begin with.

Who are they again?
I listed them a couple pages back.

Who decided they got to be our leaders? Where does their authority come from?
They started the Vsets and put the time and money into getting things started. Others were added based on applications and/or the work they had done to help with the Vsets.

How many of them are active? How many of them want to be a part of the growth of the game?
You'd have to take a poll, but you can kind of tell based on who posts. But not entirely. Several people work a lot behind the scenes but don't care to post on bloomilk due to the arguments.

Could!
Could!
Could again!

Why would you expect another leadership committee with fewer people to do more?
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:25:55 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
They gave us the Vsets to begin with.
which is great, the river was running. The river is no longer any good once it runs dry..
Who are they again?
I listed them a couple pages back.
ok, all those people. too many cooks spoil the broth
Who decided they got to be our leaders? Where does their authority come from?
They started the Vsets and put the time and money into getting things started. Others were added based on applications and/or the work they had done to help with the Vsets.So there is no reason other than respect of duties, which is awesome. I think all those people should be respected and given leadership duties as much as want them (design, balance, events, etc)

How many of them are active? How many of them want to be a part of the growth of the game?
You'd have to take a poll, but you can kind of tell based on who posts. But not entirely. Several people work a lot behind the scenes but don't care to post on bloomilk due to the arguments.

very sad statement
Could!
Could!
Could again!

Why would you expect another leadership committee with fewer people to do more?

They actually want to be a part of the game. Fewer people will always be able to do more. Less to dawdle about. More action. You have to find a good number that can represent everyone and also that things actually get done.

Look I am not trying to be disrespectful towards those that gave us the Vsets. A lot of them do not care enough to be actively engaged in doing anything worthwhile towards balancing the game and "fighting battles". Even those on the list that are active do not impose themselves or are beaten down by agendas. Who stopped Daala? who stopped vehicles? naboo? unkarr plutt?
This is the problem. All of those on your list have the same authority in theory. Therefore, they can always negate each other. In theory is key because we know that with a little backing from one or two individuals those people will get their way.

That group of people do not do what is necessary in terms of direction.
Most of them, if they want and are willing, will be doing the exact same thing that they have always done. Its not like a whole overhaul here. Can you not see the vision?
card design, rules check, fundraising, etc. the leadership committee will need those people to do all those wonderful things.
ADDITION:
the leadership and the community will need those people to do all those wonderful things.

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 9:08:00 AM

how were all these people selected to be the people to run the game flying arrow? by the people that designed the first set? then they picked more people, then they picked more people? what was the community involvement in any of that? Are we sure that these are the right people to be picking more people? I mean we know there has been some pretty hard feelings between some of the designers are we sure they aren't leaving out capable people due to that bickering? Are the best candidates black listed because their views and opinions don't match up with the current "leadership group"? I just think the community should have a bigger say then what they do, and I don't understand why anyone would be against that at all. What is the issue with having the community have input?

You all keep saying they are doing a bang up job and stuff without a committee giving direction to which I repeat:

set 6 to set 7
unkarr plutt
go do the numbers on the increase in makashi/parry after mace windu won gencon lol, its incredible. instead of a leadership committee just saying hey he is an issue lets fix him, nope we increased melee hate so much it destroyed melee beats. could have been avoided with a leadership committee
When there are complaints and stuff about pieces hey we have a committee that should have talked about the issue and has a legit reason for it instead of 4-5 different designers/playtesters giving their opinions you could have centralized clear responses.
you would have a committee that could schedule vassal tournaments and try to get more community involvement.
you would see what wasn't receiving playtests (unkarr, pong krell, etc) and step in and either change the piece or even test it themselves to make sure its ok.

all of these would be designed and clear functions of the committee.

I just don't see how people don't see that it would only make things better.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 9:18:46 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
set 6 to set 7
go do the numbers on the increase in makashi/parry after mace windu won gencon lol, its incredible. instead of a leadership committee just saying hey he is an issue lets fix him, nope we increased melee hate so much it destroyed melee beats. could have been avoided with a leadership committee

That was a long time ago.

Quote:
unkarr plutt

Every person who might be on the proposed leadership committee could have put forth enough effort to see Unkar, raise an issue about Unkar, and rally people to stop Unkar if they wanted to. They didn't. I don't think the proposed committee would have the result you're looking for.

Quote:

you would have a committee that could schedule vassal tournaments and try to get more community involvement.

That doesn't take a committee. It takes one person stepping up to do the work to get the ball rolling. It's happening now.

Quote:
you would see what wasn't receiving playtests (unkarr, pong krell, etc) and step in and either change the piece or even test it themselves to make sure its ok.

That doesn't take a committee. Anyone could have done it.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 9:30:23 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
set 6 to set 7

That was a long time ago.

Quote:
unkarr plutt

Every person who might be on the proposed leadership committee could have put forth enough effort to see Unkar, raise an issue about Unkar, and rally people to stop Unkar if they wanted to. They didn't. I don't think the proposed committee would have the result you're looking for.

Quote:

That doesn't take a committee. It takes one person stepping up to do the work to get the ball rolling. It's happening now.

Quote:

That doesn't take a committee. Anyone could have done it.

ok flyingarrow, with all due respect, and I am saying with all due respect. Your logic is flawed on almost every level.

"that was a long time ago"
who were those designers? are they not still on the "team"? This ALONE will cause anyone to doubt the effectiveness of the team. THAT SET RUINED THE GAME!! completely. so many people left the game after that, it is not ok to forget this. I love this game. It caused us to completely leave.

"Could have put forth effort" yes, but they didn't.
this ALONE will cause anyone to doubt the effectiveness of the team. That piece ruined a play style. It made many people upset about it. It also clearly defined designer over reach and agenda pushing. that happened last set (not a long time ago).
a group of people that not only do not put forth effort to stop the crap and than do not even play and have to wade in the crap that comes out is a WORTHLESS team in that regard. If they are not doing anything why would we want them to be the only people in charge.
I think what is happening is that everyone sees the problem with designers powers and this is the new idea. that there is a team that could do something.... hahaha. they have done nothing. you said so yourself and I quote "they didn't"

So my question... In this regard, what good are they?

"One person stepping up"
which is awesome, but still under an individual, there is no community behind it. the ties are loose. When it is organized by a committee it always has more buy-in and power. you are part of this community and a member of the community has made a vassal tournament.

This anyone could have done it attitude is flawed from the very foundation. A "it gets done" is 100x better than someone could have done it

FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 9:48:18 AM

You've proposed a team with 5 people, most of whom are already on the existing leadership team. You're expecting them do to more than the larger leadership team is currently doing. That seems unlikely. And you're planning to take authority away from the existing leadership team while expecting them to continue to put forth the same effort they are putting forth now.
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 9:54:41 AM

Regardless of a leadership group it could be very beneficial for the V-SET team to decide what direction we want to go as a whole. :)
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 9:55:46 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
You've proposed a team with 5 people, most of whom are already on the existing leadership team. You're expecting them do to more than the larger leadership team is currently doing. That seems unlikely. And you're planning to take authority away from the existing leadership team while expecting them to continue to put forth the same effort they are putting forth now.

But maybe those five don't feel they have the authority to do what needs done and this will give it to them.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 10:03:28 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:

There is no team right now flyingarrow. there is a group of individuals that do lots of awesome things. there is no team because there is no coach or no captain. Do you know what happens to a team that shows up to a game without a coach? they forfeit. do you know what happens to a team without a captain? it does not reach its potential.

I threw out 5 names that I think would be great. 3 of them are on the team you listed as far as I know. I don't know everything or everybody. that 5 might be a different 5. I said I know of 8 people i think would be great. I wish we would leave who is actually on the committee alone until it comes to fruition.
Those 5 I named would be great.

I expect them to do more in their perspective roles.
The leadership team are more like supervisors imo.
They can step in if something needs help.
But mostly, all those jobs will stay the same.
Card design, rules committee, pt committee, fundraising/budget, event coordinator, etc. they will serve almost the same exact function.
You are not taking any authority away from them to do those things. (ADD unless they are doing something wrong or contrary to the growth of the game)
If Caedus and Timmerb are awesome at getting events going and doing fun things on the boards, why would anyone want to take those things away form them? The leadership committee would be there to talk to them, brainstorm with them, offer suggestions, maybe grant some budget there way, help is all they will receive.

Card design, I don't see any problem with card design at all.. it should probably function exactly the same.

Rules committee, I know lots of people who know more rules and understand rules way more than anyone on my personal list. why would leadership committee do anything different?
they might help make lists of abilities or break things down more simply or something like that. but putting someone in charge of those logistical things they can do all those little things that can be so beneficial.
Events coordinator for instance, they can make sure that history is kept on events. Attendance, what events were best, what squads were played, what squads are winning the most, what squads are winning with the best margin of points (3 pt vs 2). and things like that. Keeping stats is important and will help the community understand power levels, etc.

All that will happen is that the things already in place can be expanded when they have someone looking over things with a magnifying glass.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 10:06:07 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:

and yes authority is the key. they can get things done because they are the ones in charge. period.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 10:19:42 AM

Sorry, I dont want to misrepresent

The leadership committee will put things in place that others need to follow. I just dont see some of those things needing to change that much, but if they did change, I think it would be in collaboration with the people that already know how to do it.

Why do you think that the leadership committee would not get all this stuff done?

Why do you think that people on the "team" right now would feel differently about their role as a rules person if their was a leadership committee?
Jedicartographer
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 9:04:21 AM

in this ever changing world we live in, where nothing seems set in stone, ever, It's good to see that these over the top dramatic SW minis conflicts are still going on, even after 15 years.

You all should settle your dispute at Wrestlemania.

BlooMilk

Here's to another 15 years of pretending this is important ;-)

jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 9:09:39 AM

Jedicartographer wrote:
in this ever changing world we live in, where nothing seems set in stone, ever, It's good to see that these over the top dramatic SW minis conflicts are still going on, even after 15 years.

BlooMilk

wow total burn from the cartographer
Jedicartographer
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 9:17:38 AM

jen'ari wrote:
Jedicartographer wrote:

BlooMilk

wow total burn from the cartographer

I kid. :-)

I used to be neck deep in this drama.

I personally think it's good. Keeps the forum active, and keeps the ideas flowing. I've been out of the game totally for several years, but still follow the progess here.

Regardless of the drama, You've all managed to keep it going longer than the game was even in production, you created a tangible product, and most importantly, remained close.

THAT, my friends, is an amazing achievement.
atmsalad
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 10:02:14 AM

Jedicartographer wrote:

I kid. :-)

I used to be neck deep in this drama.

I personally think it's good. Keeps the forum active, and keeps the ideas flowing. I've been out of the game totally for several years, but still follow the progess here.

Regardless of the drama, You've all managed to keep it going longer than the game was even in production, you created a tangible product, and most importantly, remained close.

THAT, my friends, is an amazing achievement.

+1 Truly, heres to 15 more!
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 11:07:59 AM

Truth from the illusive and legendary Matt Francella Jedi Cartographer.
dreadtech
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:28:58 PM

Not sure what to think about this thread at all. Out of all the forums I go to, This is the least toxic out of all of them. Someone being negative is nothing compared to toxic environments that plague other websites. Not that I see much in the way of negativity here to begin with. It seems to me most of what you call negativeity is what some like me call feedback. Which when the first Vset came out is what the development team asked for.

Still OP, I hope you get your brother into the game. I know officially this game ended some years back. I still think as a game and of cause the hard work put into it by the community with Vsets, Maps and of cause customization figures still makes this one of the best table-top games there is.
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:41:50 PM

dreadtech wrote:
Not sure what to think about this thread at all. Out of all the forums I go to, This is the least toxic out of all of them. Someone being negative is nothing compared to toxic environments that plague other websites. Not that I see much in the way of negativity here to begin with. It seems to me most of what you call negativeity is what some like me call feedback. Which when the first Vset came out is what the development team asked for.

Still OP, I hope you get your brother into the game. I know officially this game ended some years back. I still think as a game and of cause the hard work put into it by the community with Vsets, Maps and of cause customization figures still makes this one of the best table-top games there is.

Oh yeah, he has played for a while, but just got old enough for mom and dad to sign off on him getting a bloomilk account and playing on vassal with people he has never met.

Feedback is great and always welcome! There is definitely a point where it is not constructive or beneficial though. I do think the community is in a really good place and I hope that we all continue to help the game and community continue and thrive!! ThumbsUp