RegisterDonateLogin

Look sir, Milk!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Fall Vassal Tournament Discussion Options
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 10:50:29 AM
Groups: Member

jen'ari wrote:
The power ranking based off of solely gambit is not the best way. It takes human thinking to figure out the best ranking.

It does not point into play the bye auto 3 points for instance.

My Rankings thus far.

Ultrastar
TINT
Deathsbaine
Darth O
DarthJim
UrbanJedi
Mcnizzle
Urbanshmi
Shmi15
FlyingArrow
Caedus
Timmerb
Jen'ari
Naarkon
DarthRattlehead

You must be a fan of the CFB Ranking System, haha
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 12:08:04 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
The power ranking based off of solely gambit is not the best way. It takes human thinking to figure out the best ranking.

It does not point into play the bye auto 3 points for instance.

My Rankings thus far.

Ultrastar
TINT
Deathsbaine
Darth O
DarthJim
UrbanJedi
Mcnizzle
Urbanshmi
Shmi15
FlyingArrow
Caedus
Timmerb
Jen'ari
Naarkon
DarthRattlehead

How is Ultrastar on top of your power rankings with one of his wins being a 2 point win that he almost surely would have lost if they played it out to 200 points? Is it just based on who you think will win the tournament?

I base my rankings off of
Wins / Losses
Strength of Schedule
Tactics used to win (turned a loss to a win, etc)

So, for instance, Ultrastar beat McNizzle in a lame fashion, but it was all that he could do to win. He than smashed the Vong squad. So 2 wins (best for that category)
one a 3 pt win (best for that)
one a 2 pt win (not best, but he had to do that to win, so he gets high points for that end)
Squad Ranking (highest for the tournament)
Strength of Schedule (upper level)

Lets look at TINT (my #2)

2 wins (best)
both 3 points (best)
Squad Ranking (high, but not highest)
Strength of Schedule (probably middle of the pack, Jason's squad is not top tier but he is an expert player. I suck at playing my squad but I feel the squad is great, so they kind of cancel each other out)
Tactics used to win he is a top top player, so his tactics are always at the top.

DeathsBaine (my #3)
2 wins
Squad Ranking (Obi-Kin, Mace, Barriss, and R2 hmmmm hard to tell really, but seems to be above average)
1 was a no show from the opponent (would have been a fun game too)
1 was a 200-0 blow out of a person who was in top 5.
Strength of Schedule (middle, one was a no show, one was a top 5)
tactics used, well a 200-0 win is the highest tactics around against a high level opponent.

My #4 Darth O

1 win 1 loss out of all the 1-1 people he ranks the highest because
Squad Ranking is very high, his maneuver to get around my scrubs and lock the door, and also to get behind my army was sneaky, ballsy, and worth it. good tactics on that end. His loss was a close battle. strength of schedule has been a tad above average imo.

etc etc
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 7:17:33 PM

shmi15 wrote:
Could you give me any scenario that has ever actually happened, that is legit, where a player who has 199 Gambit, can score another 60 points in round 6?

Actually, that's almost exactly what happened in my Round 2 game w Jason:
--at the end of a round I had killed all of his pieces except for MandObiwan, who was alive with 30 HP. I was at 185 pts from kills and gambit
--I gained 10 pts from gambit at the end of that round, so 195
--I won the next initiative and finished off MandObiwan that round...195+40, to bring me to 235

So yes, it can and does happen. ThumbsUp

FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 5:08:44 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Were you out of gambit by then? Should it be 245?
Naarkon
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 7:47:41 AM

I believe we only have one match left? Unless I missed a report. End of the day October 1 is the deadline.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 8:37:24 AM

Naarkon wrote:
I believe we only have one match left? Unless I missed a report. End of the day October 1 is the deadline.

Here is to round 3!

Naarkon I think there is no way around us playing in round 3.

spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 9:02:32 AM

We are supposed to be playing later this evening at last check with him. Will update as needed.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 11:06:21 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Were you out of gambit by then? Should it be 245?
I was still in gambit...but you don't score gambit after the game is over...and the game ends when you achieve the win condition, which is eliminating all of your opponent's pieces. So no gambit should ever be scored on the final round of the game, unless the win condition has not been achieved by either player before the end of that round.

At least, that's how I've always understood these things.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 11:25:18 AM

spryguy1981 wrote:
We are supposed to be playing later this evening at last check with him. Will update as needed.

update because I might be play testing tonight and will want to watch a bit of your game. Spryguy the Vongenius vs the Mando Few, is a good ticket. Each initiative should prove to be absurdly importantly in this one. and I am starting to rank Vindicated as a top 3 shooter in the game.

let us know the time
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 11:28:25 AM

As best as I can figure, this is what will happen next round based on all the variable results of the Spry vs Frenchy match

Name record (tournament score) - opponents combined records (Opponents combined tournament score)

Ranking:
Tournament score
Record
Head to head
Strength of schedule (opponents combined records)

Note - opponents combined tournament score is not used in SoS. I just put it there for funsies

Spry 1-0 (3) - 2-1 (6) +???
Frenchy 1-0 (3) - 2-1 (6) + ???

Tint 2-0 (6) - 1-3 (5)
DB 2-0 (6) - 1-3 (3)
Ultra 2-0 (5) - 2-2 (6)
Kezza 2-0 (5) - 1-1 (4)
UJ 1-1 (4) - 3-1 (10)
Pnktd 1-1 (4) - 2-2 (7)
Darth O 1-1 (4) - 1-3 (5)
Jim 1-1 (4) - 1-3 (5)
McNizzle 1-1 (3) - 2-0 (5)
Shmi15 1-1 (3) - 3-1 (10)
UShmi 1-1 (3) - 2-2 (6)
Caedus 1-1 (3) - 1-2 (4) + Spry's record after game
FlyArrow 1-1 (3) - 1-2 (3) + Frenchy's record after game
Timmerb123 0-2 (2) - 2-2 (8)
Jen'ari 0-2 (1) - 3-1 (10)
Naarkon 0-2 (1) - 2-2 (6)
DRattle 0-2 (0) - 3-1 (9)

Based on this, we can figure out some next match scenarios.

*this is all just educated guesses, I could easily be wrong at any point*

If winner of Spry/Frenchy gets 3 pts, then the winner plays TINT, and Deaths Bane plays Ultrastar

If the winner gets 2 pts, TINT plays Deaths Bane and winner plays UltraStar

kezza vs UrbanJedi

If the loser gets a point, they will play PNkDT2, and Darth O will face Darth Jim, shmi vs mcnizzle

If the loser does not score a point, the McNizzle faces Darth O and Darth Jim faces PNKDT2, shmi15 vs the loser

urbanshmi vs Caedus if spry wins and vs Flying Arrow if Frenchy wins. Timmerb123 plays the other

Jen'ari plays Naarkon

Rattlehead gets the bye
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 1:31:03 PM

I've already played spryguy. With my SOS, I figured to pair down, but I'm probably incorrect on that.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 2:16:11 PM

Caedus wrote:
I've already played spryguy. With my SOS, I figured to pair down, but I'm probably incorrect on that.

Looks like you'll play either TimmerB or UrbanShmi. I'll play the other one. Depends on who wins between spry and Etienne.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 2:46:53 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Caedus wrote:

Looks like you'll play either TimmerB or UrbanShmi. I'll play the other one. Depends on who wins between spry and Etienne.

Yes, what TJ said is what I have.

It might be confusing that I have Spry??? By your name. What that means is that you are awaiting that game to find out Spry's record to complete your SoS
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 4:20:21 PM

Frenchy called me and said he can;t play until tomorrow so it looks like tomorrow evening will be the green light.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, October 1, 2017 5:49:36 PM

Ok, I just attempted to watch the game between Darth Frenchy and Spryguy. The room was locked. When I contacted them, Darth Frenchy said that Spryguy had locked the room. I'd like to know before we begin round 3 if this is going to be a thing now. Personally, I don't think it is right. We're all in a tournament. This isn't practice before GenCon or playtesting Vset pieces. I know Spryguy has watched other people's games. However, let's put the question to all of the players. Do we want locked rooms as an option? What are your thoughts?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, October 1, 2017 5:52:11 PM

Shouldn't be locked. People can wander around a real-life tournament and watch, and this should be as close to a real life tournament as we can get.
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, October 1, 2017 6:20:33 PM

Round 2 over!!!
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, October 1, 2017 7:02:35 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
Ok, I just attempted to watch the game between Darth Frenchy and Spryguy. The room was locked. When I contacted them, Darth Frenchy said that Spryguy had locked the room. I'd like to know before we begin round 3 if this is going to be a thing now. Personally, I don't think it is right. We're all in a tournament. This isn't practice before GenCon or playtesting Vset pieces. I know Spryguy has watched other people's games. However, let's put the question to all of the players. Do we want locked rooms as an option? What are your thoughts?

absolutely not!
that crazy talk and cheap and dirty. it is not a part of friendly competition, especially if someone is excited about the match and wanting to catch a quick look. Shutting people out is one path to the dark side. I was going to watch it on Saturday night had they played and it would have been offensive to me if they did not let me watch tbh.
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, October 1, 2017 7:21:17 PM

I just want to lay this out there for those who were offended because I'm sorry and didn't mean to offend anyone. The reason I locked the room is because I already have really rough anxiety when I play Etienne. It was the same way with Weeks years before. I felt that being in an already anxious state would have been compounded by having others in there watching me play. It wasn't meant to offend but to simply help me in regards to a mental health problem I already struggle with. So my apologies to those involved but please note that I had a reason for locking the room.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, October 1, 2017 7:37:02 PM

Absolutely the players right to lock a room. Both have to agree to have it unlocked.

Everyone in Swiss rounds at a regular tournament plays at the same time, and sitting and watching someone else's full game isn't possible.

This game is for the players, not spectators. If both players agree to it being open then that is perfectly fine, but otherwise I support Spry and any other players right to a locked room.

The fact that people are getting bent out of shape about it upsets me. No player "owes it to you" to allow you to sit and watch their game. It is up to the 2 players playing in that game.

I'm really disappointed that members of this community are stooping to bullying and shaming tactics to try and force this onto anyone.