RegisterDonateLogin

The possibility of successfully navigating this site is approximately 3,720 to one.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Fall Vassal Tournament Discussion Options
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 10:09:23 AM
Groups: Member

spryguy1981 wrote:
Craig I've been getting professional help for a while and one of the things Ive been instructed to do is to minimize things that could trigger possible additional anxiety, exactly what I did in locking the room. The other is take my daily meds which I also do. So for you to assume I haven't gotten any help is ridiculous. If you had seen where I was 6 months ago and where I am now you'd realize that holy S**t he has gotten help he's far different than he was then. He's made huge strides in coping with this obnoxious disease that he's dealt with most of his adult life. I locked the room because quite simply it goes hand in hand with the things my therapist recommends in avoiding additional stressors.

Im struggling with the thought process here. Avoid Playing an open game on vassal where you literally deal with nothing in the outside but go ahead and play att gencon. ... seems.... crazy
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 10:11:32 AM

Wow, I'm kinda dumbfounded that this is even an issue. At first I could understand the question and even agreed with it, but then everything made sense once Matt explained his reasoning. IMO, that should've silenced the discussion right there. Let's have some compassion, people!

Any of you who know what Matt has been dealing with, please step back and pause for a moment: life has been extremely hard for him recently. Life has doubtlessly been hard for all of us at various points (myself definitely included!), and I don't think that anyone would want to minimize or downplay the struggles that any of our friends have gone through. I myself haven't gone through Matt's struggle, but since I'm his friend and can empathize with how hard this must've been for him, then I will happily accede to his request...I think it's great that he's able to participate in this tournament at all! In fact, after looking at his squad just now, I think he's got a good chance to win it all! Seriously, it's not a big deal; my friend's mental health and ability to enjoy the game that he's playing in are far more important than my ability to watch that game.

And so, Matt, if you and I are paired for this next round, then *I* will lock the room! ThumpUp People can be upset with me if they'd like. You have nothing to be ashamed of. [Now, if you beat me, that's another story! lol j/k]
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 10:14:10 AM

Actually, come to think of it, if people want to "watch" a locked game after it has completed (because it won't have sound anyway) then it's relatively simple for one of (or both of) the people playing the game to just create a Logfile of the game, and then afterward post the file on Facebook so that people can download it and "play" it at their leisure. The benefit with this option is that they can even re-watch it multiple times if they want to!

To start and save a logfile:

1. At the start of a game, after the map is chosen (perhaps after Setup, but certainly before the first Initiative roll)....
2. With your mouse choose "File"-->"Begin Logfile"
3. Give the file a name (ie, "ABC vs XYZ") and click "Save." You don't need to add any Logfile Comments, so just click Ok.
4. Play the game as normal. [Hint: it plays back best when there's not a lot of "Undo"ing going on...or if there is, then it's helpful to have one of the players simply write a brief explanation in the main chat window before or after the Undo-ing happens.]
5. When the game is finished and you go to close the game, a window will pop up, asking, "You are writing a logfile. Save now?"...just click Yes. Then choose a location where you want the logfile to be saved (I usually choose my Desktop), and it will be saved there: "ABC vs XYZ.vlog". (NOTE: This is not the same as Saving a game.)

To play a logfile that has been saved (ie, completed):
1. Start the Vassal mod normally
2. With your mouse, choose "File"-->"Load Game"...then navigate to the place where you've saved or downloaded the logfile. NOTE: Make sure the file is a ".vlog" file (not a ".vsav" file).
3. The map will load. To advance the playback, look at the top-left corner of the main Vassal window, right beside the "Undo" button, and under the "File" and "Tools" and "Help" menu buttons...in that place you will find the "Step Forward through logfile" button.
4. Each time you click that button, the logfile will advance by 1 step. There will be hundreds of steps throughout the course of the game, because each die roll, each movement of a piece from 1 location to another, to another, etc...will register as a step. NOTE: you can also press the "Pg-Dn" button on your keyboard to have the same effect.
5. Watch through the game by pressing Pg-Dn or clicking the button. You can also Rewind by 1 step by pressing the "Undo" button.

Easy as pie! Enjoy!
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 10:15:22 AM

Lol apparently you all have a different understanding of tournament as I do... if tournament integrity means nothing then why even have them let's just play at home and make up results and just declare a champion...
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 10:19:11 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Lol apparently you all have a different understanding of tournament as I do... if tournament integrity means nothing then why even have them let's just play at home and make up results and just declare a champion...
Believe me, I am as competitive and eager for fairness as the next guy. :)

But please check out the post that I wrote which follows my first one here (the one right above yours), because I think it actually offers a very viable and trustworthy way of ensuring that there's no cheating or shenanigans going on. There's no reason for anyone to suspect such things if one or both of the players in the game simply makes a Logfile of the game.

In fact, in other Vassal events that I've played in, the TO has required that the winner of each game sends him a Logfile of the completed game so that the TO can review it to ensure that everything was done fairly and that no glaring rules issues were compromised.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 10:28:09 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Wow, I'm kinda dumbfounded that this is even an issue. At first I could understand the question and even agreed with it, but then everything made sense once Matt explained his reasoning. IMO, that should've silenced the discussion right there. Let's have some compassion, people!

Any of you who know what Matt has been dealing with, please step back and pause for a moment: life has been extremely hard for him recently. Life has doubtlessly been hard for all of us at various points (myself definitely included!), and I don't think that anyone would want to minimize or downplay the struggles that any of our friends have gone through. I myself haven't gone through Matt's struggle, but since I'm his friend and can empathize with how hard this must've been for him, then I will happily accede to his request...I think it's great that he's able to participate in this tournament at all! In fact, after looking at his squad just now, I think he's got a good chance to win it all! Seriously, it's not a big deal; my friend's mental health and ability to enjoy the game that he's playing in are far more important than my ability to watch that game.

And so, Matt, if you and I are paired for this next round, then *I* will lock the room! ThumpUp People can be upset with me if they'd like. You have nothing to be ashamed of. [Now, if you beat me, that's another story! lol j/k]

+1

In addition, how is locking the room before the game starts any different than asking anyone who drops by that you would like to play the game without any observers?

shmi15
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 10:54:03 AM

Man, this took off fast! So I agree with both sides.

Last night I didn't ask to join the room, because it was locked, Darth_Jim asked me why it was locked, I said I dunno, but that Spry was giving me updates at random. At first I didn't see anything wrong with this.

Then I thought, this is a tournament, why would any room be locked anyways? Even at a tournament. If Trevor and I are playing each other, I am not required to sit at my chair the whole time. At any point during the game, I can get up, and go look at someone else's game. Trevor can call clock, or time or stalling, but then I could just go back to our game, move my pieces, and walk away again. There is no requirement forcing me to stay at my table. So in theory, I could watch any game I wanted while playing mine as long as I made my moves within the time frame.

Every tournament I have ever been in for any game, if I finished early, I went to an opponents game, that I thought I may play later, and I watched the rest of their game. It is a strategic advantage, and to be completely honest, if I was at a real tournament, and someone asked me to leave because it made them uncomfortable... I would not leave. Thats my competitiveness. I would sit there, and make them as uncomfortable as I possibly could. Part of the battle, is the mental battle before.

And for you guys who don't think I would. My very first tournament I ever went to, and TheUltrastar can back me up on this, and anyone else who was there. Was in Virginia, about 6 years, maybe 7 years ago. And I brought two girls with me, who I had dress up as scan-tally as you can imagine, and got them both drunk, they sat next to me, talked to me, and made as many sexual innuendos as you can imagine during my games. And I mean they said some things I had to Google to find out. But, I beat GMLS with Whiphid Trackers. I beat a Cad Bane swap squad, b/c my opponent forgot to swap out. Twice. They were distracted by what I brought. And I would do it all over again for the advantage.

( This story is 100% true)

I understand Spry's PoV tho. And I in no way think he did it maliciously, or with any ill thought behind it. BUT. I do know he has watched games. And I feel like, in my eyes, if you watch someone else play, you lose the ability to lock anyone else out of your games. That is an advantage, to watch someone else's game, and not allow someone to watch yours. I think at this point, there is no way to say games can be locked. The precedent is there in this tournament, where people have already watched other peoples games. If we stop it all of a sudden in round 3, then those round 1 and 2 games those people have an advantage. I will live with either ruling, but whatever Naarkon says, I say it goes.

I do think issues come up with this. Because, like Trevor or Craig said, what happens if I play Trevor, and I want it locked, and he wants it unlocked? Who wins? This question is for anyone who thinks locking doors is ok.

Also, I agree, if someone doesn't want to be watched, just say it... But they then shouldn't go in and watch any other games.

shmi15
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 11:01:32 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

+1

In addition, how is locking the room before the game starts any different than asking anyone who drops by that you would like to play the game without any observers?

I think its the Principle. They have the chance, and are able to make the choice themselves.... I mean, without trying to sound rude, but, just because they ask us to leave, doesn't mean we have to. So if I went into a room, and Trevor and Craig were playing, and Craig said he didn't want me to watch, with an open room, as are most tournaments, I have the choice to respect his decision, or, I have the choice to ignore him, and watch the game anyways.

I don't think locked doors are the way to go. But I see this becoming the National Anthem of SWM. And some people will do it, just because its a fad, and the original message will be lost amid people doing just to make others feel better.

jen'ari
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 11:08:45 AM

spryguy1981 wrote:
Craig I've been getting professional help for a while and one of the things Ive been instructed to do is to minimize things that could trigger possible additional anxiety, exactly what I did in locking the room. The other is take my daily meds which I also do. So for you to assume I haven't gotten any help is ridiculous. If you had seen where I was 6 months ago and where I am now you'd realize that holy S**t he has gotten help he's far different than he was then. He's made huge strides in coping with this obnoxious disease that he's dealt with most of his adult life. I locked the room because quite simply it goes hand in hand with the things my therapist recommends in avoiding additional stressors.

Spryguy, if this triggers you, like I said before, stop playing.
Your anxiety is not an issue when it comes to locked doors or unlocked doors.

You do not get to say if the door can be locked or not is the point.
Your professional, i 100% guarantee you has told you to find the important things and than prioritize the other stressors. Which you claim to do by keeping the door unlocked for the majority of your games. But... this is a tournament, you have to follow the precedents set. Anxiety or not.

I suggest finding strategies to help your anxiety that allow you to play

Like Trevor said... top 4 in gencon with people everywhere....
vassal observer....

not really comparable in terms of stress.

@TINT

I think everyone agrees with the sentiment that once someone presents their reasons for asking you to leave they would do it.
I know I have said it multiple times. I would not leave because I wanted to or I thought it was necessary but just out of respect to the person asking.

@urbanjedi
it is different because you were given a reason why.
Its like this. someone says there is a party. You get excited and go, but the door is locked. They knew people might drop by but locked you completely out. even shut the blinds.
You call them, but they dont come to the door.

Or, there is a party and you drop by and they say "sorry man, I am having some serious issues and really only want one person with me. I know it sucks, but I am asking you to respect my request on this one."

OR, hey guys the party is only for me and the other person because I am having some issues, so please don't stop by.

One is rude and is reasonable and one is thoughtful.

Locking the door is rude

FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 11:26:39 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Please stop. There is nothing to be gained by continuing this conversation. Naarkon will make his decision and there's nothing else that needs to be said until then. Or after then.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 11:35:00 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Please stop. There is nothing to be gained by continuing this conversation. Naarkon will make his decision and there's nothing else that needs to be said until then. Or after then.

Agreed.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 11:38:59 AM

In the meantime, back to the power rankings. Here are mine:

1.Thereisnotry 2-0 6 points
2.Spry 2-0 6 points
3.Death's Baine 2-0 6 points
4.Ultrastar 2-0 5 Points
5.KezzaMachine 2-0 5 points
6.Darth Frenchy 1-1 4 points
7.Darth O 1-1 4 points
8.Darth_Jim 1-1 4 points
9.PNKTD 1-1 4 points
10.Urbanjedi 1-1 4 points
11.McNizzle 1-1 3 points
12.Shmi15 1-1 3 points
13.Caedus 1-1 3 points
14.UrbanShmi 1-1 3 points
15.FlyingArrow 1-1 3 points
16.TimmerB 0-2 2 points
17.Naarkon 0-2 1 point
18.Jenari 0-2 1 Point
19.DarthRattlehead 0-2 0 Points

I kept everyone ranked by points. Just did a little bit of shuffling among the tied players.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 11:42:12 AM

To be fair, Naarkon literally solicited feedback.

Naarkon wrote:
I want to read everyone's posts here and make sure I don't do anything hasty.

That said, repeating the same arguments ad nauseam is unnecessary.

I welcome opinions from those who have not weighed in.

Either way, this will clearly have to be stated one way or another at sign ups for every Vassal tournament from now on, along with time limits (70mins?),"2 or 200", how of lack of commication between players setting up games will be handled, etc.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 11:46:14 AM

Hmm....I feel like I have a bad matchup against both Spryguy and DeathsBaine. Either RDE +4 and Soresu or Evade and a million different ways to score extra damage, against my all-shooter squad. I'm not saying these matchups are not winnable, or anything like that. I guess I'm just estimating that the 70%/30% advantage goes to both of my potential opponents' squads over my squad.

lol! I love it! Finally, we're seeing shooter-heavy squads face several very tough matchups! This will be a day long remembered.... ThumbsUp
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 11:47:46 AM

As best as I can figure, this is the tournament rankings (not power rankings)

Name record (tournament score) - opponents combined records (Opponents combined tournament score)

Ranking:
Tournament score
Record
Head to head
Strength of schedule (opponents combined records)

Spry 2-0 (6) - 2-2 (7)
Tint 2-0 (6) - 1-3 (5)
DB 2-0 (6) - 1-3 (3)
Ultra 2-0 (5) - 2-2 (6)
Kezza 2-0 (5) - 1-1 (4)
UJ 1-1 (4) - 3-1 (10)
Frenchy 1-1 (4) - 3-1 (9)
Pnktd 1-1 (4) - 2-2 (7)
Darth O 1-1 (4) - 1-3 (5)
Jim 1-1 (4) - 1-3 (5)
McNizzle 1-1 (3) - 2-0 (5)
Shmi15 1-1 (3) - 3-1 (10)
Caedus 1-1 (3) - 2-2 (7)
UShmi 1-1 (3) - 2-2 (6)
FlyArrow 1-1 (3) - 1-3 (4)
Timmerb123 0-2 (2) - 2-2 (8)
Jen'ari 0-2 (1) - 3-1 (10)
Naarkon 0-2 (1) - 2-2 (6)
DRattle 0-2 (0) - 3-1 (9)
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 11:48:30 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Hmm....I feel like I have a bad matchup against both Spryguy and DeathsBaine. Either RDE +4 and Soresu or Evade and a million different ways to score extra damage, against my all-shooter squad. I'm not saying these matchups are not winnable, or anything like that. I guess I'm just estimating that the 70%/30% advantage goes to both of my potential opponents' squads over my squad.

lol! I love it! Finally, we're seeing shooter-heavy squads face several very tough matchups! This will be a day long remembered.... ThumbsUp

You should get spry. Which leaves me bronson and an auto loss... great lol.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 11:56:54 AM

Torunament ranking tie breakers get tougher after simple SoS. Usually the computer figures that out.

Technically TINT and DB are tied in tournament ranking (same record, tournament score, and SoS) - so it could flip either way.

Likewise Frenchy and UrbanJedi are tied, so that could switch matchups.

Same goes for Caedus and UShmi as well as Darth O and Darth Jim - but in both of these cases they'll play each other regardless
Naarkon
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 12:03:52 PM

Okay everyone, calm down. This is getting ridiculous. In the following post I use some thoughts and reply to some thoughts by different posts in this thread. I didn't quote anything since frankly, there were too many, and I didn't feel the need to call anyone out by name.

When I started the tournament, the goal was to generally create a similar environment to that of an in-person regional (for example, that is why the maplist was changed, to better reflect the current tourney maplist). However, there are differences between physical and vassal play that make a perfect replica impossible.

At a physical regional, yes, you can watch other games. However, you cannot watch how a player sets up on a particular map, their opening moves, etc. You can only see the matches that take longer than yours that are often in the finishing stages, and if you are anything like me you either wander around just seeing what people are running or maybe watch a squad that you helped test or something. In no case (ignoring the guy with the bye, nobody wants to be that guy anyway) do you get to watch a full match, showing a player's complete strategy.

I did not mention anything about locked or open rooms up to this point, so anything anybody did with their rooms has been allowed.

Playing a round across 10 days, at different times, and with varying knowledge of corner cases and specific rulings on interactions, it is understood that yes, cheating could occur, and we are all trusting each other to not bend the rules just because there is no enforcement. Heck, you all trusted me to not look at your squads and run a counter to the majority of them (I think the results back up my integrity here, 0-2 with 1 point lol). If you are worried enough about cheating that locked or open rooms is an issue, vassal play might not be for you. Sorry.

As I understand from previous posts (having never encountered this at the limited number of regionals I have attended) you can ask someone to leave your table at a regional. To me this equates to leaving a room locked in vassal. Maybe not everyone does it, but it is allowed.

No one is entitled to watch someone else's match. You spent no money getting to this point, and no money will be earned at the end. There are no prizes, travel times, contracts, or endorsement deals. It's just two people playing a match, the results of which will be posted afterwards for you to read.

Going forward, if either player requests that their room stay locked, then it stays locked. If both players are cool with leaving the room open and announcing a play time on the forum, go for it. It might be wise to include your preference while scheduling so that your opponent does not announce a match you would rather not be watched in.

I'm sorry to hear that various players are considering leaving the tournament, but I had to make a decision, and I made the one that I feel is the most reasonable. If you have any additional thoughts on the subject feel free to reply or send me a bloomail.

I am postponing the start of round 3 by one day since there might be changes in players.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 12:13:30 PM

Well I'm out. Thanks for the decision and work naarkon.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 12:14:05 PM

Your thoughtful, rational response is greatly appreciated Naarkon.

I look forward to the rest of my matches in this tournament, and above all I will have fun. This ruling helps that immensely.