RegisterDonateLogin

Twin suns got you down? Cool off with Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Tournament of Champions Options
urbanjedi
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 1:29:46 PM
Groups: Member

In both our games the twins got off the 40 damage strafes.

The issue is that with satele BG the wooks, strafe in general isn't that effective. And the fact that the OR outactivates once bastilla is active, lets them win the positioning battle. Plus the extra 10 damage from Bastilla is huge.

G1
on Ruined Base. Rebels on the left OR on the right.
Rebels have a great move foiled by BG (and the absorb energy combo). Set up to free Han and end 11 away from the jedi, while blowing up a bunch of wookiees fizzled fairly quickly as most of the wookiees lived. That led to a dead speeder, and then with the OR being faster, the activation advantage, and the 10 extra damage from Bastilla was able to slowly work over the Rebels even in the disruptive/BG issues.

G2
Laura kept the same basic strategy of keeping the wooks next to satele while traveling up the board. The speed of the OR let her get to positions where she could be able to apply pressure to the speeder. Did get off a cunning strafe (within 12) and was able to kill satele but the wooks all lived, and the speeder died. Then it was basically back to the same issue as G1. To add insult to injury, wook commander and one scoundrel both made save 15 grenades towards the end, although it wouldn't have really mattered as the OR still had a fairly healthy Ven, and a full health Bastilla I think another wookiee, while the Rebels were down to damaged Lando, Sabine, and the droids.

In wrap up. If the speeder is out front at all, the OR is fast enough that it can keep pressure on it, and if it is in the back of the formation, the OR can start eating through the other guys and the OR can stay far enough away that strafe becomes irrelevant. And the OR has the prowler lurking around so even if things get all cloaked up, they can still pump out some damage with one wook.

It is a tough match for either side, and could go either way. After playing the match twice, I do give a slight edge to OR just because the extra 10 from Bastilla is huge.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:54:15 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

FINAL RESULTS FOR Game #14

"Prison Break": 1pt
Votes: thereisnotry

"Triple Ven": 27pts
Votes: FlyingArrow, urbanjedi
Wins: FlyingArrow (5pts), urbanjedi vs UrbanShmi x2 (10pts each)

Result reflected in the bracket here: http://challonge.com/xu51nfsp
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:55:59 AM

GAME #15: "Skybuck" vs "Triple Ven"

Please vote for which squad you think would win, assuming equally skilled players (1 point per vote).
Try to persuade others to agree with you.
If you play a game with these squads against yourself (solo playtest), it's worth 5 points to the winning squad.
Two-player games count even more (10 points to the winning squad).
The squad with the most points wins.

If urbanjedi and FlyingArrow themselves (or their designated proxies) play any games, they are worth 1000 points each, so they pretty much dictate the final result, regardless of other voting or other results.

--Skybuck Variant (2016 GenCon 2nd place by urbanjedi)--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
47 General Skywalker
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
23 Captain Panaka
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
10 Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist x2
21 Rodian Brute x6
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 16 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/186036/skybuck-variant--2016-gencon-2nd-place-by-urbanjedi-

--Triple Ven--
46 Ven Zallow, Jedi Master
37 Satele Shan
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
18 Wookiee Commander
44 Wookiee Scoundrel x4
8 R7 Astromech Droid
4 Loth-cat
4 Prowler 1000 Seeker Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 XT-6 Droid

(200pts. 13 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/184513/triple-ven

Deadline: 48 hours (10:57am EST, 10 Mar 2018). Votes must be posted by the deadline. If you plan to play a game, games can be reported up to 48 hours after the deadline, but intent to play (and the number of games) must be announced by the deadline.

If there are 12 hours with no votes or discussion, the match-up may be ended early.

(Note that for the semifinals and finals, the timeframe has been extended from 24 to 48 hours.)
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:13:00 AM

I reckon OR, Skybuck will struggle to break down the beef without CEs and the Scoundrels can survive a gallop.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:57:06 AM

This looks like a pretty hard counter for the Skybuck squaq, I cant really see them winning it either. The OR have more attackers, equal in beef, but with better damage and more attacks. Skybuck can out activate, but that is there only real advantage in this matchup. That and R2s movement breaker.
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:40:50 PM

Hopefully TJ and I can get a game in of this.

However, I am sure, that Laura and I most likely will whether TJ and I do or not.

Won't say much about thoughts or analysis until after the game(s) are played.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:35:03 PM

I think that the OR has the advantage here. Bastilla really hurts Yobuck, unless he can find a way to get in there and hit her (to cancel ABM). Without Momentum Yobuck also needs a crit to kill a Wookiee, while it only takes an activation or two of Wookiees to kill Yobuck. I think this one seems kinda lopsided, probably 70/30 or more, in the OR's favor.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 1:02:19 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
I think that the OR has the advantage here. Bastilla really hurts Yobuck, unless he can find a way to get in there and hit her (to cancel ABM). Without Momentum Yobuck also needs a crit to kill a Wookiee, while it only takes an activation or two of Wookiees to kill Yobuck. I think this one seems kinda lopsided, probably 70/30 or more, in the OR's favor.

No faith in yobuck?

DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 6:57:15 AM

I am voting for OR out of 100% unadulterated emotion and pure personal bias.

spryguy1981
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 9:25:56 AM

I'm voting Kybuck because if it weren't for a 1 I would've beaten a similar matchup 7 years ago to win GenCon.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 10:10:36 AM

I gotta vote OR here. Those Wookiees are nuts, and Ven is gonna be a beast to take down.

spryguy1981 wrote:
I'm voting Kybuck because if it weren't for a 1 I would've beaten a similar matchup 7 years ago to win GenCon.

What on earth kind of squad existed 7 years ago that was similar to Ven Zallow and triple attacking Wookiees? I'm really curious Blink
spryguy1981
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 10:42:14 AM

It wasn't triple attacking Wookiees but it was an OR beef squad but similar damage.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 10:53:08 AM

Quote:
Those Wookiees are nuts

The Wookiees themselves only rarely seem to do much damage from the games I've run. They only get one attack if they move, and with Cunning but no Accurate, they often don't get their Cunning Attack - being forced to attack the activated enemy in the front. That means they are often attacking at +10 instead of +14 - which means missing more than half the time against most enemies. However, they are a significant deterrent. If they can activate and attack something at the top of the round, the potential for +14/120 is killer. +14 still isn't an auto-hit, but likely to hit 2 out of 3 on most targets for 80dmg. That can force the opponent into taking less than ideal positions.

More than once, the Scoundrels have kind of functioned like Mouse Droids. You need one within 6 for Ven or Satele to get Triple, so you run one 12 squares to get within 6 to get off the big Triple attack with Ven or Satele.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 11:53:37 AM

I'll run another one of these eventually. Anyone who voted in this tournament will be able to enter a squad in the next one. So if you've been lurking this whole time, now is the time to vote.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 12:41:50 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Quote:
Those Wookiees are nuts

The Wookiees themselves only rarely seem to do much damage from the games I've run. They only get one attack if they move, and with Cunning but no Accurate, they often don't get their Cunning Attack - being forced to attack the activated enemy in the front. That means they are often attacking at +10 instead of +14 - which means missing more than half the time against most enemies. However, they are a significant deterrent. If they can activate and attack something at the top of the round, the potential for +14/120 is killer. +14 still isn't an auto-hit, but likely to hit 2 out of 3 on most targets for 80dmg. That can force the opponent into taking less than ideal positions.

More than once, the Scoundrels have kind of functioned like Mouse Droids. You need one within 6 for Ven or Satele to get Triple, so you run one 12 squares to get within 6 to get off the big Triple attack with Ven or Satele.

Yes, they are very much a deterrent, and the possibility of them exploding def forces a little different play. And 30 HP Mice that can also attack are quite solid.

A lost init leading to 80-120 damage is something you have to consider when playing against them.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 5:35:50 PM

Jason and I plan to play this match up. I also plan to have a solo game to report, but of course it won't matter in the end.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:32:00 PM

We are about to play this match-up now.

Map roll...

13-13 tie
reroll
20-20 tie
reroll
19-10 urbanjedi wins

Epic start for sure.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 9:54:29 PM

I'll write up a better report later, but OR wins 202-194. Kind of an asterisk, though. We never turned on a clock so implicitly decided to play to 200. I don't know how long it went, but it was well over the time limit, and Republic was ahead for most of the game.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 9:29:24 AM

I played my solo game on Asteroid Base. OR win pretty easily, but I definitely played Skybuck poorly. Didn't run in as deep as possible to start, and didn't keep the 3hitters safe enough.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 9:42:47 PM

I'm too late to vote, but I'd vote Skybuck here. They won about the same number of inits, but I think the ones TripleVen won were more important, and Satele had good Parry rolls. Skybuck gets a big gallop with momentum and swap at the end of either round 1 or round 2, and I don't see how OR stops that other than a map with enough doors or a small enough chokepoint that the Round 1 gallop stalls.