Tournament of Champions Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 8:33:27 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Just played Jason for Game #5.
He played Vong.
I played Prison Break.
Map: Theed.
Final score: Rebels win 155-151. If we played it out, Rebels would've reached 200 first easily. Newly freed Han and 80hp Speeder (with 2 droids) versus the Vong commanders and a Scout.
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 8:55:31 PM
Groups: Member

Played on Theed. TJ took left, I was on the right.

Set up Han in upper right corner so he couldn't easily get to him with speeder. Kept 1 scout and the worker back most of the game to block after he moved down into the pathway.

He got gamibit round 1 with the speeder to put on the early pressure.

Rd 2, I blasted the speeder for 20, then he got a strafe off on a bunch of guys (some with cunning some without), and then retreated back in the next room back and locked the door with R2. I moved the Vong in keeping kinda spread out to avoid grenades but close enough to try and keep doojo relevant.

Rd 3 I opened the door and dropped 20 on crix (since he was away from his protector). TJ again did a strafe out and return back missing 3 kill shots but killing some guys. then killed some more with chewie (still away from crix). I then dropped crix but lost 2 guys to a grenade, then started working on chewie with a couple remaining blast buggers. Started getting the commanders up into the fray.

Rd 4 Killed off chewie and Lando in exchange for some more blast buggers.

Rd 5 commanders finally joined the fray and finished off sabine, but lost doojo and all the blast buggers but the subcommander while he flew back and finally thawed Han.

Rd 6 He flew back to gambit doing a little damage on the way, and Han tried to get back in the game, while the commanders got Dodonna before the speeder got there and the subcommander dropped 20 on the speeder.

Time called
80HP speeder, full Han, R2, 3P0 left for the rebels
40HP Quoreal, 40hp Zenoc Quah, subcommander, priest, and worker left for vong

155 (115 + 40) rebels score
151 (101 + 50) vong score

1-2 more rounds and Rebels get to 200 no problem. Vong maybe kill R2 and that is probably it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 9:00:42 PM

GAME #6: "jim's jam session 2.0" vs "Just paid for itself"

Please vote for which squad you think would win, assuming equally skilled players (1 point per vote).
Try to persuade others to agree with you.
If you play a game with these squads against yourself (solo playtest), it's worth 5 points to the winning squad.
Two-player games count even more (10 points to the winning squad).
The squad with the most points wins.

If Darth_Jim and gandalfthegreatestwizard themselves (or their designated proxies) play any games, they are worth 1000 points each, so they pretty much dictate the final result, regardless of other voting or other results.

--jim's jam session 2.0--
42 Embo
30 Aves, Communications Officer
32 Talon Karrde, Information Broker
31 Morrigan Corde
28 Mira of Nar Shaddaa
23 Wookiee Thug
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 9 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/175091/jims-jam-session-2-0

--Just paid for itself--
23 Commando Droid Captain
45 BX Commando Droid Spotter x3
84 BX Commando Droid Sniper x6
12 Gha Nachkt
8 Battle Droid Officer
7 R7 Astromech Droid
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
12 Mouse Droid x4

(200pts. 20 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/179299/just-paid-for-itself

Deadline: 24 hours (8:52pm EST, 26 Feb 2018). Votes must be posted by the deadline. If you plan to play a game, games can be played up to 48 hours after the deadline but intent to play must be announced by the deadline.

If there are 12 hours with no votes or discussion, the match-up may be ended early.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 6:55:19 AM

Embo gets to deep strike, but who does he elect to kill? Probably the Commando Droid Captain if he can reach him, but he will be tucked away as far as possible. Probably kills a Sniper otherwise. Then he dies - not a very good trade.

Wookiee Thug gets to run 18 at the top of a round with Talon, and then kill a Sniper or Spotter, plus Cleave to put 40dmg on another one. That's a pretty good trade after the other droids kill him.

That leaves 4 Snipers and 3 Spotters (1 of which is nearly dead) to face off against Mira, Morrigan, and the Fringe tech.

Morrigan's Suppressive Fire doesn't prevent Energy Shield. Mira's Grenades are great since the droids want to bunch up for Energy Shield. But they don't actually kill any droids in a single activation. Agile on both Mira and Morrigan could cause major problems for the droids' heavy weapons.

I think the Snipers would pull it off, though. Several map issues could help tilt the balance toward the Fringe, though. If Embo can reach the CDCaptain, or if there's enough green that Mira's Rigged Detonators can't be avoided, or if Morrigan/Mira's Agile lets them hide from the Snipers all game long. Close game either way, though, and I think Seps have the slight advantage overall.
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 7:29:32 AM

I'd be interested in seeing a test, but l would be inclined to give the win to Jim's squad. The deep strike and grenades will help turn the tide and force sense to remove the stealth.

Vote: Fringe
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 7:35:49 AM

So after 7 votes on game #1 we haven't had more than 3 votes on any of the other games. If there's enough interest, I might run another similar tournament after this one is over. I think it's a fun format. But only if there's enough interest. If we're only getting 2 or 3 votes per game, that's not enough to warrant another tournament. If we get 5 or 6 votes plus a playthrough for each match-up, that might make it worth it.
Amadeus
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:16:19 AM

Just curious, why would Morrigan's supressive fire not work on Energy Shield? It's a special ability that responds to enemy attacks right? I could see it maybe not working if you shot a sniper being protected by it but I would think the spotter would be vulnerable, assuming you could target it. Sorry if I'm missing something.

As for vote, definitely a tough matchup, but I think you could pull off killing all 3 spotters between embo, the wookiee and morrigan all being able to charge 12 (although I'd prefer to keep her back instead). The snipers are not very mobile, so I think Mira could shut down their stealth, kill one, and aves and talon could finish off another, and Morrigan could deal with another if she isn't dead. It would really depend on map though.

I'm going to give my vote to Fringe here I think, but definitely not an easy match.

Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:34:39 AM

The way suppressive fire is worded it works on the person with energy shield, but not anyone benefitting from it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:40:34 AM

If Morrigan shoots a Spotter, the Spotter can't use Energy Shield. In that sense Force Suppression works against Energy Shield. But it only "suppresses" the character that is attacked. So if she shoots the Sniper standing next to the Spotter, the Spotter can use Energy Shield to protect the Sniper.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:40:35 AM

I think the seps should have this one. Fringe is trading one for one in most cases. The deep strikes embo is a big threat, but the seps have enough mice that they don't need to risk bringing the CDC out.

I have been enjoying following the conversations on here and would like to see more of these tournaments. I will try to post more often. Also, I am willing to play any side for these games if need be :)
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:53:08 AM

Come on now Frenchy no one wants to play against you, we all dislike losing lmao! But hey I love you man!
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 10:44:51 AM

Laura and I are going to try to get a game in tonight.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 10:57:02 AM

Amadeus wrote:
but I think you could pull off killing all 3 spotters between embo, the wookiee and morrigan all being able to charge 12 (although I'd prefer to keep her back instead).

That wouldn't happen if the Separatist player was any good. Spotters go behind the Snipers (I learned this the hard way against Kylo Ren's Force Choke at LowerHuttaCon). So it's relatively harder for the Wookiee Thug and Morrigan to reach them, though Embo can easily do it. If they do try, they'll probably have to take an AoO or two, and if a Spotter or two combines fire (you can combine fire on AoOs, right?)and that could be the end of them.

Are we assuming here that the Fringe player is keeping all of their guys completely safe as they come up the map? Because bad placement, Intuition, Seps winning init and a couple of shots (Spotter combining fire, of course) could lose them one of their attackers before they engage in close combat.
Amadeus
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 11:08:12 AM

Definitely can't combine fire on those AoO's, from glossary

Quote:
Characters can help an allied character who is attacking. When a character attacks on its turn other allied characters with line of sight to the target of that character's attack can activate immediately to combine fire...

I totally agree though on the snipers picking off some guys as they move up being an issue, really depends on the map.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 11:24:39 AM

Only Mira is probably in any danger of getting picked off before engagement. Morrigan, Embo, and the Wookiee all charge in, and one of them gets Talon's CE on top of that.

Current score: 3-3
Seps: FlyingArrow, DarthFrenchy, TheHutts
Fringe: Amadeus, spryguy, jerjerrod

(EDIT: a couple votes down below)
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 11:30:33 AM

I like Seps in this matchup. I got slaughtered by it at LowerHuttACon, and I outactivated it - it's tough if you don't.
jerjerrod4
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 1:01:05 PM

I like Fringe. I'll try and play this with my cousin later (Spry)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 1:30:26 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
Laura and I are going to try to get a game in tonight.

Sounds good. If you want to vote in addition to playing a game, be sure to get the vote in before the deadline.
(8:52pm EST)
(7:52pm CST)
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 1:35:12 PM

My vote is fringe.

With nearly everyone having agile or mobile, makes it very difficult for the seps to get any shots at all. And the Fringe CAN just shoot through the energy shield if they want. 50% chance that droid takes damage, only 25% that the shooter does, so the odds are in the shooter's favor.

If seps can ever track down the fringe then they will do some damage, I just don't know if they can both get down the board fast enough (while keeping the mice up close enough) to get any good double attacks.

So, Fringe has the slight edge, but dice could be a big decider in this matchup. (missed attacks, shield saves, evade saves for morrigan, etc)
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 3:43:21 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
With nearly everyone having agile or mobile, makes it very difficult for the seps to get any shots at all. And the Fringe CAN just shoot through the energy shield if they want. 50% chance that droid takes damage, only 25% that the shooter does, so the odds are in the shooter's favor.

Does that math work out quite right? If you hit, you roll a save to either take the damage or avoid it and have the original target take the damage. I believe that is a 50/50 chance of taking damage or not? Unless you are counting the initial roll? But then the chance of receiving damage would still be the same.

Energy Shield (When this character or an adjacent character is hit by an attack from an enemy that is not adjacent to either, that character takes no damage and the attacker takes damage equal to the prevented damage; the attacker can avoid this effect with a save of 11.)

Best Ranged save based defense in the game btw. Wheres the Jedi equivalent? ;) Just kidding!!