RegisterDonateLogin

Everything is under control. Situation normal.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Galaxy At War Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 10:05:53 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Why so many versions?

Because the characters from movies and television are far more widely known. As someone has mentioned, the releases tend to go in cycles... original trilogy, prequel trilogy, expanded universe.
Darth Davis
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 10:52:16 AM
Groups: Member

cool! anyone have any stats yet?
Eroschilles
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:02:49 AM

No, I don't think we will see stats for another two months.
Boba Fett
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:15:01 AM

New Intel on Galaxy at War sheds light on a startling fact...

BREAKING NEWS!!

WOTC has just revealed one of the pieces in their latest miniatures expansion Galaxy at War. Galaxy at War features characters from the Clone Wars Era(The MOST OVER-RATED AND GOD-AWEFUL TIME LINE IN STAR WARS)and who is this piece we might add? well its something so frightening,so bizzare, out of deep left field, a piece we never expected...ANOTHER GOD FORSAKEN BATTLE DROID!!!
Darth Tambor
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:59:02 AM

@Boba

I find that twisted description of the Clone Wars insulting.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 12:35:28 PM

Cade Skywalker is not as popular just because hes a popular mini. i read SW Legacy religiously, and people who have known Cade, only know him because of splash, and double twin.
ask someone who Ben skywalker is, and they get this cute look on their face, not knowing what your talking about.
I can see A sweet Ben skywalker Mini.
How many people know that Cade has Vaders leg armor? how many people even know that Cade is Drug addict?
i Dont want to hear that you need a popular Character to sell minis. I WILL BUY THEM REGARDLESS, and so will more then half of you. look at the custom armies we make on this site, half the characters added to said armies, are just grunts and vigo's.
Bith Black sun Vigo? i never saw a Bith, as a Vigo, Ever. He is in 70 % of our armies. why? because hes popular.
Cassus Fett, KoToR cannon. Wheres he at? almost 800 minis, And no Cassus.

and as far as a consumer goes, Im a customer, and the occassional slave, to this game. last I heard in free America, the customer was always right.ThumpUp
Cursing Screw Grievous! he doesnt get better then DAC.
Vader?! Cursing really!!?? How many are there!!??

a new Nym would Be nice........ThumpUp
mercenary_moose
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 1:00:21 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:

and as far as a consumer goes, Im a customer, and the occassional slave, to this game. last I heard in free America, the customer was always right.ThumpUp

Yes, in America, the consumer is always right. ThumpUp

And hell yes, a new Nym would own!!!! Woot Woot Woot

Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 2:36:56 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Cade Skywalker is not as popular just because hes a popular mini. i read SW Legacy religiously, and people who have known Cade, only know him because of splash, and double twin.
ask someone who Ben skywalker is, and they get this cute look on their face, not knowing what your talking about.
I can see A sweet Ben skywalker Mini.
How many people know that Cade has Vaders leg armor? how many people even know that Cade is Drug addict?
i Dont want to hear that you need a popular Character to sell minis. I WILL BUY THEM REGARDLESS, and so will more then half of you. look at the custom armies we make on this site, half the characters added to said armies, are just grunts and vigo's.
Bith Black sun Vigo? i never saw a Bith, as a Vigo, Ever. He is in 70 % of our armies. why? because hes popular.
Cassus Fett, KoToR cannon. Wheres he at? almost 800 minis, And no Cassus.

Another well reasoned and articulated post. RollEyes Guess what, I'm a customer too, and I enjoy seeing different variations of my favorite movie characters (always happy to see a Vader).

There are three main groups that buy this product. Players, RPGers, and Collectors. Collectors and RPGers could careless about the stats. And if you look at players, a lot of people only play certain factions. The PT, OT, and EU set cycle is the best way WOTC has balanced these different interests.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:02:03 PM

you can have yer 50 vaders and 75 Luke skywalkers. all i want are the minis that arent out.
if they made an Ugnaught pooper scooper mini, id get him. why not make Battle Damaged Vader? where he completely sux to the point that his mini is completely destroyed.
i appreciate the opinions, but i could really care less if anyone appreciates mine.
so, with that said, im going to post what i think, and people are going to agree (thanx for the PMs fellas), and to those who dont, well im sorry.
Doogle126
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:16:57 PM

you can have yer 50 vaders and 75 Luke skywalkers. all i want are the minis that arent out.
if they made an Ugnaught pooper scooper mini, id get him. why not make Battle Damaged Vader? where he completely sux to the point that his mini is completely destroyed.
i appreciate the opinions, but i could really care less if anyone appreciates mine.
so, with that said, im going to post what i think, and people are going to agree (thanx for the PMs fellas), and to those who dont, well im sorry.

Amen, Brother!Razz
amsnow
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:19:10 PM

i really agree on the we need more new figs bit, but i would like to see some clone strike jedi re-done, they are sad versions right now
LoboStele
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 2:36:20 AM

Hahahahaha, this whole "My opinion is right and everyone else can go to @#$%^" is laughable at best. Just because you feel a certain way doesn't mean it's the RIGHT way. It just means it's your preference.

Sure, the customer is always right (though that is less and less apparent than it used to be). But if you as Customer #1 want a Cassus Fett, and I as Customer #2 want a new Han Solo....well, then which customer is right?

WOTC isn't stupid. They've done market research. They know what is going to sell the best. The people who post on these forums is a VERY VERY VERY small percentage of the people who actually buy the miniatures product. Again, I'll say...VERY SMALL. And around the forums like this, you'll likely find other people who also want things like Cassus, Celeste Morne, etc. But you won't see the casual collectors who are only interested in the OT stuff, because they usually can't stand reading tirades like this by the EU "fanatics".

And let me add to all of this by saying, that to some degree, I definitely agree with you. I'd love to see new pieces like Celeste, Cassus Fett, other characters from comics, EU novels, etc. But I have also taken the time to think rationally about things, and know that the longevity of this game depends on the casual buyers too, who aren't interested in the EU stuff, typically, and aren't interested in playing the game either. They just buy to display the pieces on a shelf.

So yes, reprints and re-dos of characters we already have are frustrating to some of us "hard-core" player/collectors. But those are the bread-and-butter type of things that attract new players and collectors, and in the end, help the game survive in the long run.

Besides, if they did all your favorite EU characters now, what would keep you buying things down the road? Flapper
judgeito
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 3:56:19 AM

well Lobo you are right that it takes the casual fans to help support the game, but it is really depressing when more than half of the pieces in a new set are reprints. I will collect GAW like I do every set but I certainly am not excited about it as of yet.
kenred2
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 4:00:22 AM

twinjedi wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
i hate to say it,
but i am angry. we just got a clone wars set a few sets ago, not to mention the teth maps either. How many of you need 7 Grievous'? i just got the new assaj, so i dont need a new one, but, they are gonna make this one waaaaaaaaaay better, and im gonna get stuck trying to get her.
yea yea yea, its the name of the game, thats how Wizards makes their money, blah blah blah, BUT IS IT AT ALL POSSIBLE TO MAKE MINIS OF CHARACTERS THAT HAVENT BEEN TOUCHED YET!!??Cursing
Celeste morne? from vector? Darth Wyyrlok? SW Legacy, Bantha Rawk? Legacy, Banes Apprentice for crying out loud!! Howabout some of Fetts Ora'mikade (Super Commandos), the named ones, even better, MIRTA GIEV!
AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! this is why people stop collecting and playing all together.

i think sets can be sold without a grievous, another Luke, vader, Sidious etc.
some of the best minis are the ones that arent popular.

Learn to deal with it. Plan on each fall set to be Clone Wars based, to coincide with the new season. Basic marketting principles. You don't like it, skip it. We will have Dark Times and Masters of the Force coming out afterwards. And just remember, just because you like a character, it doesn't make it a popular or well known character, and we will always need those figures to sell sets.

i think sets can be sold without a grievous, another Luke, vader, Sidious etc.
some of the best minis are the ones that arent popular.

If u think there is , name them.

-Cassus Fett
-Jodo Kast
-General Rom Mohc
-Jan Ores
-Rosh Penin
-Jaster Mereel
-Tahiri Veila
-Jerec
-Marn Hierogryph
-Vandar Tokare

The list goes on....

Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 4:00:56 AM

As long as they keep inventing new ridiculously awesome EU characters and making them into minis :)
billiv15
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 4:21:04 AM

kenred2 wrote:

-Cassus Fett
-Jodo Kast
-General Rom Mohc
-Jan Ores
-Rosh Penin
-Jaster Mereel
-Tahiri Veila
-Jerec
-Marn Hierogryph
-Vandar Tokare

haha, that's the best list ever. Not one, and I mean not one of the characters would sell a set to me. I know next to nothing about any of them. You certainly proved the point being made, that EU characters alone cannot sell sets, if that's the best you can come up with.

Honestly, none of this matters anyways. WotC has long decided this issue, so none of our opinions matter on bit on it. In fact, WotC has already decided that the EU fans who decry reprints are in fact wrong. They have plenty of market research, and plenty of sales numbers of sets with which to back it up by this point.

And yet, they continue to mix the EU in here and there, while following the model that brings us lots of well recognized characters as well. That shows you, that the best answer for WotC is the current model. So quite simply, all of your opinions, are in fact wrong in this case.
Doogle126
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 4:33:45 AM

billiv15 wrote:
kenred2 wrote:

-Cassus Fett
-Jodo Kast
-General Rom Mohc
-Jan Ores
-Rosh Penin
-Jaster Mereel
-Tahiri Veila
-Jerec
-Marn Hierogryph
-Vandar Tokare

haha, that's the best list ever. Not one, and I mean not one of the characters would sell a set to me. I know next to nothing about any of them. You certainly proved the point being made, that EU characters alone cannot sell sets, if that's the best you can come up with.

Honestly, none of this matters anyways. WotC has long decided this issue, so none of our opinions matter on bit on it. In fact, WotC has already decided that the EU fans who decry reprints are in fact wrong. They have plenty of market research, and plenty of sales numbers of sets with which to back it up by this point.

And yet, they continue to mix the EU in here and there, while following the model that brings us lots of well recognized characters as well. That shows you, that the best answer for WotC is the current model. So quite simply, all of your opinions, are in fact wrong in this case.

Lolz Wizards Stupid

I would really like to see OR jedi masters for a fact, and this list would be awesome (and FYI if they made one of these per set i would be happy)
Boba52
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 4:39:57 AM

I, for one, know squat about EU stuff. I really enjoyed KOTOR and LOTF and most of my EU knowledge came from finding out more about the minis. I enjoyed those sets so much that I told myself "this is great cause now I can spend more money on these and totally bypass Clone Wars altogether and save some pain and money" then I saw the pieces and stats. Then I started to watch the cartoon series and I loved them both to the point of now stating that Clone Wars is a way better set "overall" than KOTOR or LOTF, so if GAW is Clone Wars 2.0 then I welcome it. I look forward to Grievous, Assaj, Kit Fisto because they will all be commander versions. :D And no, I would never say that Grievous DAC is the best he is ever going to get. Wizards could obsolete him in a heartbeat if they wanted too. When the seps start getting great CEs that help the living then lookout!ThumpUp
billiv15
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 4:41:22 AM

Doogle126 wrote:

Lolz Wizards Stupid

I would really like to see OR jedi masters for a fact, and this list would be awesome (and FYI if they made one of these per set i would be happy)

So stupid that you are on a non-WotC fan site, dedicated to the game, discussing WotC's choice of how they structure their setlists......

"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Are you sure "stupid" is the word you wanted there? I would have gone with something more positive, such as "intelligent", "well-researched", "well-marketed", etc. And I hope you are now "Lol"ing at yourself :)
Doogle126
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 4:43:46 AM

"D@mn fool, I knew you were going to say that."