RegisterDonateLogin

Seems to be made to suffer.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Galaxy At War Options
IG-108
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 4:44:12 AM
Groups: Member

Boba Fett wrote:
New Intel on Galaxy at War sheds light on a startling fact...

BREAKING NEWS!!

WOTC has just revealed one of the pieces in their latest miniatures expansion Galaxy at War. Galaxy at War features characters from the Clone Wars Era(The MOST OVER-RATED AND GOD-AWEFUL TIME LINE IN STAR WARS)and who is this piece we might add? well its something so frightening,so bizzare, out of deep left field, a piece we never expected...ANOTHER GOD FORSAKEN BATTLE DROID!!!

Did you ever think that some of us might like the Clone Wars era?
Yes, they re-do a bunch of pieces that probably don't need to be made, but it's going to keep happening, so get used to it. Reprints are an inevitable part of this game.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 4:51:27 AM

I have a question for everyone: Instead of their usual crap reprints that fill every new set that we get, why doesn't WOTC reprint some pieces we will actually USE. That's a new thought, eh Rob and Co.? For example, why not reprint the uggie? If Wizards has anyone smarter than a chimpanzee doing market research, they will know that experienced players would much rather like another ugnaught demolitionist than a Heavy Clone Trooper or another Nikto Soldier. This would also help new players too: if they got some uggies at the bottom of their packs rather than another Rebel Trooper, they can build much more competitive armies faster. More young players building better squads is certainly better for the game. As far as collectors, they will grab every piece in the set regardless if it's an Uber-Luke or an OR Recruit. RPG players will not suffer much either. There are so many different clones, stormies, rebels troops, and droids out there that they can still create wicked scenarios even if they don't have another Scout Trooper.

So my question is: Why doesn't Wizards do it?
Doogle126
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 4:59:21 AM

Lolz, Wizards Stupid Flapper
kenred2
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 5:02:15 AM

billiv15 wrote:
kenred2 wrote:

-Cassus Fett
-Jodo Kast
-General Rom Mohc
-Jan Ores
-Rosh Penin
-Jaster Mereel
-Tahiri Veila
-Jerec
-Marn Hierogryph
-Vandar Tokare

haha, that's the best list ever. Not one, and I mean not one of the characters would sell a set to me. I know next to nothing about any of them. You certainly proved the point being made, that EU characters alone cannot sell sets, if that's the best you can come up with.

Honestly, none of this matters anyways. WotC has long decided this issue, so none of our opinions matter on bit on it. In fact, WotC has already decided that the EU fans who decry reprints are in fact wrong. They have plenty of market research, and plenty of sales numbers of sets with which to back it up by this point.

And yet, they continue to mix the EU in here and there, while following the model that brings us lots of well recognized characters as well. That shows you, that the best answer for WotC is the current model. So quite simply, all of your opinions, are in fact wrong in this case.

That seems very arrogant of you to mock what I've listed. Keep in mind I was only responding to "some of the best minis that aren't popular." Never did I say anything about what WOTC should or shouldn't do. The ones I have listed are linked to some of the popular games, comics and and novels of the EU. It would be nice to see these characters made for the sole purpose of the game... if they made duplicates, I wouldn't mind either way. But focusing to attack someone's belief on hopes to see something different and meaningful is uncalled for. l would actually want to see new characters because it draws people to understand more about the characters through yours truly... the wookieepedia. I know what when I 1st got Zayne Carrick from a pack... I wanted to know who that character is.. I looked on Wookieepedia... then it intrigued be so I got 1-40 issues of Knights of the Old Republic comics. And let me tell you, it got me into collecting Lucien Draay, Squint, Carth Onasi, etc. Understanding the characters, does encourage people to purchase other genres related to the subject.
billiv15
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 5:30:53 AM

kenred2 wrote:

That seems very arrogant of you to mock what I've listed. Keep in mind I was only responding to "some of the best minis that aren't popular."

Ken, if that's what you took from my post, then you missed the point entirely. I wasn't laughing at your list, but of the irony of how it proves the opposing view point, to which you were responding (since you quoted it, I can only assume it was your point to counter it with your list). Don't read disrespect where there is none.

I have no problem with any of the characters on your wish list, and someday, I hope you get everyone of them. However, the same goes for every EU fan with their own list, and every OT fan with theirs, CWs fans with theirs, etc.

The entire point of my last post, was that WotC has already decided what level of EU figure support is appropriate to their market. Just look at how many they produce, and how they release them. Your answer is already there.
Darth Sarcasim
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 5:45:05 AM

Atleast they dont retire figures to make you by the newest sets and prevent you from using older versions of characters..... so suck it up...

I actually like the remakes... it saves me time and annoying trades to get "basic" figures... so it helps us newer players.. and with out newer players games die... so once again... suck it up.
AdmiralAckbar
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 6:05:47 AM

Here is the other side of the cover box for Galaxy at War. It looks like a clone trooper on the lower left corner and a jedi on the top left.

kenred2
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 6:11:53 AM

billiv15 wrote:
kenred2 wrote:

That seems very arrogant of you to mock what I've listed. Keep in mind I was only responding to "some of the best minis that aren't popular."

Ken, if that's what you took from my post, then you missed the point entirely. I wasn't laughing at your list, but of the irony of how it proves the opposing view point, to which you were responding (since you quoted it, I can only assume it was your point to counter it with your list). Don't read disrespect where there is none.

I have no problem with any of the characters on your wish list, and someday, I hope you get everyone of them. However, the same goes for every EU fan with their own list, and every OT fan with theirs, CWs fans with theirs, etc.

The entire point of my last post, was that WotC has already decided what level of EU figure support is appropriate to their market. Just look at how many they produce, and how they release them. Your answer is already there.

I didn't miss your point... I've understood perfectly.. but that post you've stated earlier (haha, that's the best list ever. Not one, and I mean not one of the characters would sell a set to me. I know next to nothing about any of them. You certainly proved the point being made, that EU characters alone cannot sell sets, if that's the best you can come up with), just isn't needed. I know that you are trying to draw your point to a conclusion in your perspective, but taking my answer to mock what I drew out on top of my head is uncalled for. There are many others that people wanted to see being made.. but you proved that "WotC has already decided what level of EU figure support is appropriate to their market." The answer is already there... but there's no need to attack my original post just to get your point across, if you've already made your point in the 1st place
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 6:25:05 AM

kenred2 wrote:
twinjedi wrote:
Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
i hate to say it,
but i am angry. we just got a clone wars set a few sets ago, not to mention the teth maps either. How many of you need 7 Grievous'? i just got the new assaj, so i dont need a new one, but, they are gonna make this one waaaaaaaaaay better, and im gonna get stuck trying to get her.
yea yea yea, its the name of the game, thats how Wizards makes their money, blah blah blah, BUT IS IT AT ALL POSSIBLE TO MAKE MINIS OF CHARACTERS THAT HAVENT BEEN TOUCHED YET!!??Cursing
Celeste morne? from vector? Darth Wyyrlok? SW Legacy, Bantha Rawk? Legacy, Banes Apprentice for crying out loud!! Howabout some of Fetts Ora'mikade (Super Commandos), the named ones, even better, MIRTA GIEV!
AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! this is why people stop collecting and playing all together.

i think sets can be sold without a grievous, another Luke, vader, Sidious etc.
some of the best minis are the ones that arent popular.

Learn to deal with it. Plan on each fall set to be Clone Wars based, to coincide with the new season. Basic marketting principles. You don't like it, skip it. We will have Dark Times and Masters of the Force coming out afterwards. And just remember, just because you like a character, it doesn't make it a popular or well known character, and we will always need those figures to sell sets.

i think sets can be sold without a grievous, another Luke, vader, Sidious etc.
some of the best minis are the ones that arent popular.

If u think there is , name them.

-Cassus Fett
-Jodo Kast
-General Rom Mohc
-Jan Ores
-Rosh Penin
-Jaster Mereel
-Tahiri Veila
-Jerec
-Marn Hierogryph
-Vandar Tokare

The list goes on....

Ken, thats an awesome list.ThumpUp
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 6:28:18 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The way I figure it, is that will continue to put EU characters into SWM in future sets as there is a large market share of Star Wars material that go there. There are many consumers who purchase the books, comics and video games that make up the EU. So, there is a large population of the SWM gamers who are avid fans of the EU and would like to see more characters from. However, a majority of the SWM gamers are more familar or fans of the films rather than the EU. So, in accordance with that, a majority of the figures made in SWM are going to be characters from the OT and PT.

They have whole threads dedicated to what characters you would like to see over at WOTC boards, which is the best place to put your requests if you want a chance that the game designers will see that and take it into account when creating future sets. However unlikely that may be. You also have to consider the level of foreplanning that goes into SWM. They already have characters for the sets planned out a year in advance, so the one EU character you would love to see could already have been made, but is awaiting the set release. And any suggestions you make will not even have a chance of being realised for more than a year.
luke hates thrawn
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 6:30:23 AM

Quote:
Heroes and villains clash in a galaxy far, far away...

Galaxy at Warâ„¢ features 40 characters from across the Star Wars saga, with a particular focus on military figures from all eras, including unique characters with key roles in the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War.

The Star Wars Miniatures Game allows fans to stage their own epic battles with the most diverse collection of high quality, authentic figures available.

Quote:
Forged in the Fires of Battle

From the Core to the Outer Rim Territories, the flames of war spread throughout known space. It is a dark time for the Republic, as clone troopers engage endless waves of battle droids, and the fate of the galaxy rests on the outcome...

The ultimate collection of military minded heroes and villains, including 16 new characters from The Clone Wars - 40 figures in all!

From Wizards
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 6:38:38 AM

LoboStele wrote:
you can have yer 50 vaders and 75 Luke skywalkers. all i want are the minis that arent out.
if they made an Ugnaught pooper scooper mini, id get him. why not make Battle Damaged Vader? where he completely sux to the point that his mini is completely destroyed.
i appreciate the opinions, but i could really care less if anyone appreciates mine.
so, with that said, im going to post what i think, and people are going to agree (thanx for the PMs fellas), and to those who dont, well im sorry.

Hahahahaha, this whole "My opinion is right and everyone else can go to @#$%^" is laughable at best. Just because you feel a certain way doesn't mean it's the RIGHT way. It just means it's your preference.

Sure, the customer is always right (though that is less and less apparent than it used to be). But if you as Customer #1 want a Cassus Fett, and I as Customer #2 want a new Han Solo....well, then which customer is right?

WOTC isn't stupid. They've done market research. They know what is going to sell the best. The people who post on these forums is a VERY VERY VERY small percentage of the people who actually buy the miniatures product. Again, I'll say...VERY SMALL. And around the forums like this, you'll likely find other people who also want things like Cassus, Celeste Morne, etc. But you won't see the casual collectors who are only interested in the OT stuff, because they usually can't stand reading tirades like this by the EU "fanatics".

And let me add to all of this by saying, that to some degree, I definitely agree with you. I'd love to see new pieces like Celeste, Cassus Fett, other characters from comics, EU novels, etc. But I have also taken the time to think rationally about things, and know that the longevity of this game depends on the casual buyers too, who aren't interested in the EU stuff, typically, and aren't interested in playing the game either. They just buy to display the pieces on a shelf.

So yes, reprints and re-dos of characters we already have are frustrating to some of us "hard-core" player/collectors. But those are the bread-and-butter type of things that attract new players and collectors, and in the end, help the game survive in the long run.

Besides, if they did all your favorite EU characters now, what would keep you buying things down the road? Flapper

Thank you for that info.
by no means am saying that i am right, as an individual, im saying the WE, as consumers, collectors and all around gamers, want newer stuff to game with.
whether that makes us right or not, is completely up to wizards, cuz theyre the folks making this game that we have come to love soooooo much.
i agree, dont throw us every new character that comes out at once (tho, im surprised LOTF and the KotoR sets did!), because yes, you need to keep the game alive. and i think it will stay alive, and they DONT NEED ANOTHER FRIKKIN PRINCESS LEIA TO DO IT.
and the only thing that i ask is, if we are going to zero in on each other because of our opinions, lets do it with a little more tact, lets only speak our opinions, without knocking the guys who also speaks theirs.
all i ask, cuz im not trying to be disrespectful in any way, and i dont really think that anyone else is trying to be either. lets just be "nice".
ChadTheBad
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 7:25:45 AM

I'd like from this set a Commando Droid (Separatist), Poggle the Lesser (Separatist), Sora Bulq with his blue lightsaber and shoto (Republic with Separatist Affinity), Spar [i.e. Mandalore the Resurrector (Separatist with Mandalorian Affinity)], Quinlan Vos with his red lightsaber (Separatist with Republic Affinity), Dass Jennir (Republic with Separatist Affinity), Sev'rance Tann (Separatist), and a Nosaurian or two for the Separatists, obviously.
AdmiralAckbar
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 9:11:14 AM

These are just a few of my hopes for this set.

Cad Bane
Commando Battle Droid
Senate Commandos
Sora Bulk
Mace Windu
Palpatine/Sidious that can work in Republic, sith, seps, and imperial
501st Troopers that get boosted with any version of Anakin Skywalker or Darth Vader

Darth Tambor
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 9:34:48 AM

I'm hoping for atleast 8 new seppies. This GaW General Grievous sounds like he is going to be a great commander and would work well with a tactical droid.
Mickey
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 10:30:00 AM

I would say a Cad Bane is a guarantee. His popularity in the last couple of episodes has made him what it seems a main stay in the next season.

One thing for sure is that there are so many uniques they can make we should have sets coming for the next few years ThumpUp
Doogle126
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 11:12:45 AM

think cad bane is gonna have jedi hunter Razz Of COURSE
DarthReeves
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 11:52:28 AM

I think it is hilarious how serious some people take this. WOTC IS INSANE WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS!? IT TOTALLY RUINED MY WEEKEND! MY LIFE IS OVER BECAUSE I GOT A BATTLE DROID. Guys, it's a game, it's fun, and yes there are mini's we'd like to see. But don't worry about it. Good things come to those that wait.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 1:18:17 PM

DarthReeves wrote:
I think it is hilarious how serious some people take this. WOTC IS INSANE WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS!? IT TOTALLY RUINED MY WEEKEND! MY LIFE IS OVER BECAUSE I GOT A BATTLE DROID. Guys, it's a game, it's fun, and yes there are mini's we'd like to see. But don't worry about it. Good things come to those that wait.

once again, it falls in the "i just spent 15 dollars and tax for the worst minis i have ever pulled", category. its got nothing to do with life ruining and deformed weekends.
ofcourse it fun, i just had so much of it, that my mandalorians had a force renewal with Sidious hologram, running with ulic qel droma. i just got that sidious in the mail today, never pulled him before. which means all the stuff i pulled in the cw set, minus aayla secura and some 3 others, have stunk.
dont get me wrong, i know that this game continues to grow, in every new set we get, and im grateful for it. but me personally, i need only 1 good version of character. and im not knocking the collectors by any means. i just want new characters.
Gau
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 9:45:21 PM

There's a lot of vitriol in this thread...is seems some of you are a bit worked up from having discussed the thing that should no longer be discussed to death.

Really, I am just excited when I see a piece get put in a set that is in a part of the EU that I know about. I would love to see a Ghent or Niles Ferrier or somesuch. I've played quite a few games where the support has dwindled and died (WizKids much?), and I'm excited that this is still running.