RegisterDonateLogin

Bluer than a Rutian Twi'lek on a cold day.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Renegades and Rogues (contains spoilers for V-set 2. Full set list now up) Options
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:49:28 PM
Groups: Member

and yes, I would love to see an Imperial Luke as the Cloned Emperor's Apprentice.
I would also love to see an Imperial Cadet Han.

In my first post, I was just pointing out that we have a number of Rebel Luke's, and Imperial Vader's.

I think WOTC did a great job of covering all of the Luke's in the Rebel Era, and even went above and beyond with Champion of The Force Luke Skywalker. I don't see the point in more Rebel Lukes. I do however see the need for a more playable NR Luke Skywalker. In my opinion if the guys behind the VSet wanted to include a Luke why not NR? Why not a Fringe Exiled Luke Skywalker from the Fate of the Jedi series. An Imperial Luke Skywalker of the Dark Empire comic series. And the same goes with Darth Vader. He was a Sith so why not a Sith Vader instead of another Imperial. We already have Lord Vader, Legacy Vader, Scourge Vader.

It's not so much that I'm disappointed that we are getting another Luke/Vader. I'm just disappointed in their factions. However I'm hopeful that like with the first V-Set I'm blown away by these new additions to the factions.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:42:18 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

It all depends on how you view the factions. Vader is a Sith Lord. There is no arguement there. The question is, is there enough evidence for him to be a Sith Lord. The answser is fairly obvious. The Sith faction is more than just the Sith Lords. In my view, the Sith faction needs to encompass the Sith Empires of olden times, because those are true factions. The One Sith of the Legacy era, because well, they did expand enough to be their own faction. The Banite Sith are a bit more tricky. Rob put them in the Sith faction for ease, which makes sense, considering they remained in the shadows for the most part, so they would work with Fringe stuff mostly. This is why Sidious and Maul can work in the Sith faction. Lumiya is close to being a Banite, and apparently had some dealings with the One Sith, but that is stretching it a bit. Caedus sadly set the precedent, as there is no reason why he should be part of the Sith faction. The same applies to Vader and to a lesser extent, Dooku. They don't belong in the Sith Faction, because they never truly worked in a Sith faction.

As for there being no need for a new Luke/Vader, I strongly disagree. There are plenty of ways to do new versions. If you can't think of new ways or reasons to do them, then you don't have enough creativity to be a designers. Just trust them enough that the new ones will be interesting enough to have justified doing them.
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:57:30 PM

I can think of a reason to release new Luke's and Vader's. That would be current Luke's and Vader's becoming outdated. Which they haven't been. Lord Vader is still one of the baddest pieces in the game. As is Legacy Vader, and Scourge. Same story with Luke. You have Rebel Commando, Hoth Pilot, Champion of The Force. So yeah if these two characters had become outdated then yeah I would be all for a new Luke/Vader, but they haven't.

If you can tell me another reason they should release another Luke and Vader. Please share. That's why I brought this up in the first place. I'd like to understand the reasoning behind the decision.

I was just disappointed in another Luke/Vader when there are so many characters that haven't made it into the game yet.

I think you are over thinking the whole sith faction thing. It's pretty simple. Dooku was Sidious Sith Apprentice, just like Maul. He should have a Sith piece as well. He should be able to be included in the Sith Faction. I just don't understand why he shouldn't be included when his allegiance was to the Sith.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:17:02 PM

It's called different roles. If you think Sith Apprentice, Unleashed, Scourge, Lord Vader, Jedi Hunter, LOTF are all that can be done with Vader, you are wrong. Same with Commando, Pilot, Jedi, and Snowspeeder for Luke. The new pieces are not replacing those pieces, just adding a new option for the Luke/Vader slot in squads.

Admitadly, I am a huge fan of Vader, so I can keep on coming up niche Vaders all day long. And Lukes, plenty of room to expand, as his full range as a Rebel hasn't exactly been portrayed... well.

As for Dooku and Vader. Plain and simple, Vader worked with Stormtroopers, not Sith Troopers. Same with Dooku. Unlike others, being Sith did not overcome their political allegience, as they were essentially one and the same to them.
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:28:31 PM

Ok, I get where you are coming from on the Sith thing.

But, we have Darth Maul sith piece. He never fought along side Sith Troopers, nor did Darth Caedus. So if we have a Maul who fought along side Droids against Jedi, and if we have Caedus who you said you don't agree with but we do have him, then we should have a Vader sith piece.

I'd love to be able to run a Darth Vader along with Darth Bane. That would be amazing.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 10:14:21 PM

jedinightowl wrote:
In order to argue that Vader doesn't belong in the Sith faction you have to provide opinion/evidence/information that identifies him as outside the realm of the Sith faction (see previous post). The only confines that the Sith faction bares is the ideological pursuit of absolute power through the dark side of the force (and specifically the Sith teachings). My OPINION is that regardless of what you can say regarding Vader's "Imperial-ness" (all of which I agree with) you cannot deny that he said "Rule the galaxy as father and son" not "Rule this enormous empire that I love so much". The Empire was the vehicle for Vader's quest for power, not Vader's quest itself. Anakin did say, "I have brought peace... to my new empire" but again, listen to the scene and follow Vader's progression through the ensuing movies/games etc. The "Empire" that was so important to Vader is markedly similar to the Sith empire of a former generation or Krayt's empire of a later generation, namely; vehicles to obtain power.
Until you can specifically deny that Vader (1) was in a quest for absolute power & (2) utilized sith teachings, you can argue only that he in primarily Imperial and NOT that he out of line with the Sith faction.

This right here illustrates clearly reasons why Vader should not be Sith (to me anyway). Vader's goal pre-empire was the preservation of the Republic and what it stood for. When the Republic coverted into an Empire, that goal essentially remained the same. This goal of preserving the now Empire, is either stated or implied by both those quotes you gave.

The big thing that sets Vader apart from the members of the Sith Faction is that pretty much every one of the Sith characters are either a part of Galactic conquest (and haven't succeeded yet) or are there to teach the ancient arts of the darkside. The only one that argueably doesn't fit this mold is Darth Krayt, but due to his ascension to the throne splitting the established Empire, they needed a way to illustrate this divide factionally.
dreadtech
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:40:25 PM

Well i too am a little disappointed to see another Luke & Vader, but as i have said before you can't please every one.

At the end of the day you just have to let the designers have a free hand in what characters they do, A lot if not all were asked for and that unfortunately from my point of view includes more Luke's and more Vaders Both were asked for (please remember that). True they could be in NR and Sith respectively but if the designers feel that this is not how they want to do these particular characters well as i said they have to have the freedom to do what they want. Do I think Vader could be sith faction? Hell yes, but as i said that's the designers call.
Vset 1 was a great success and i am sure that Vset 2 will be as well. OK did i like every character in set 1? No and there will be the odd one in set 2 as well, but the thing is everyone's likes and dislikes is going to be different.

OK the point has been raised about Luke and Vader, and i think that this subject has been answered, the answer might not be the one some of you were looking for, but as the thread starter I am asking that this particular issue be dropped.

Let the designer have a free hand to do what they are doing, and just be grateful that set 1 was such a success and that we are getting a set 2.
Dread
wannabe mexican
Posted: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:19:45 AM

If the new Luke we get is in Stormtrooper armour, then I am totally cool with that. I also agree that some more NR Lukes would be welcome. I think as part of the NR he could be a main beatstick sort of mini, just one that can live longer than GMLS.

I also agree that the Sith faction refers more to the super ancient Sith Lords who were all involved in the SIth Wars and that, rather than just being general Sith Lords. The Legacy era sith minis are also acceptable in that faction because they were also creating a new sith order/empire.
CerousMutor
Posted: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 3:12:54 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:
jedinightowl wrote:
In order to argue that Vader doesn't belong in the Sith faction you have to provide opinion/evidence/information that identifies him as outside the realm of the Sith faction (see previous post). The only confines that the Sith faction bares is the ideological pursuit of absolute power through the dark side of the force (and specifically the Sith teachings). My OPINION is that regardless of what you can say regarding Vader's "Imperial-ness" (all of which I agree with) you cannot deny that he said "Rule the galaxy as father and son" not "Rule this enormous empire that I love so much". The Empire was the vehicle for Vader's quest for power, not Vader's quest itself. Anakin did say, "I have brought peace... to my new empire" but again, listen to the scene and follow Vader's progression through the ensuing movies/games etc. The "Empire" that was so important to Vader is markedly similar to the Sith empire of a former generation or Krayt's empire of a later generation, namely; vehicles to obtain power.
Until you can specifically deny that Vader (1) was in a quest for absolute power & (2) utilized sith teachings, you can argue only that he in primarily Imperial and NOT that he out of line with the Sith faction.

This right here illustrates clearly reasons why Vader should not be Sith (to me anyway). Vader's goal pre-empire was the preservation of the Republic and what it stood for. When the Republic coverted into an Empire, that goal essentially remained the same. This goal of preserving the now Empire, is either stated or implied by both those quotes you gave.

The big thing that sets Vader apart from the members of the Sith Faction is that pretty much every one of the Sith characters are either a part of Galactic conquest (and haven't succeeded yet) or are there to teach the ancient arts of the darkside. The only one that argueably doesn't fit this mold is Darth Krayt, but due to his ascension to the throne splitting the established Empire, they needed a way to illustrate this divide factionally.

Vader fell to the Darkside tricked by the Sith Master Darth Sidious into thinking that the Sith way/Darkside could save his wife, similar to the Exar Kun who was tricked by the Spirit of the Sith Master Freedon Nadd into think the Sith way/Darkside could save his life.

Bottom line if Kota/Shaaki are rebulic/rebel and are jedi there is no valid reason along the lines of faction classification why Vader should not have a Sith version but plenty valid reason why he does have many Imperial incarnations.

I know this could go back and forth forever but I'm really not sure a new imp vader is what we need.....
That said the work done on the last set was amazingly intelligent and thoughtful towards each facion represented so I'll wait to be impressed.

Sorry Dread Blushing I'll zip it now.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 2:28:41 PM

CerousMutor wrote:
Bottom line if Kota/Shaaki are rebulic/rebel and are jedi there is no valid reason along the lines of faction classification why Vader should not have a Sith version but plenty valid reason why he does have many Imperial incarnations.

How so? Kota was pretty involved in the early development of the Alliance. Consdering other Republic/Rebel Jedi that we have seem to have been resisting the Empire in their post Order 66 lives, Rebels seems to fit. Perhaps if there was a Jedi faction, then it would be a comparable comparison.

And remember, it is a balancing act. There are those of us who do like Luke/Vader et all, and would like to see new versions, that have different aspects to them. The designers have proven to be creative. I think we can be assured that any new version of the main characters will be unique.
komix
Posted: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:00:49 PM

Whoa. Quite a discussion right there.

Well, I think that creating Sith Vader would be a ridicules idea. Why? I tell You why. Vader is Sith in OT and EP3 only this way that Sith=>Imperial. Notice that it only goes one way. Not the other. So yeah, he is a Sith but only to be in Imperial fraction. And not all (well only 2:) ) Imperials were Sith. You get my point?

WotC already screwed Maul to be in Sith Fraction- i mean come on! I know that in comics "Darth Maul" he's slaughtering everyone, but is he doing it for Sith or the Seppies in that point? (yeah he have a DM, Champion of the Force who is Seppie, but what about Sith Apprentice?).
In prequels being Sith meant being Seppie. Sith=>Seppie. Same logic as for Sith=>Imperial.
So plz don't EVER create Sith Dooku, Vader or other crazy variations of those.

I know why everyone wants Sith Vader, it's because of Fringe Han. Personally, i really liked him. But it opens door for Sith Vaders i'm afraid.
However it also alows to create Imperial Luke, which I've been waiting from the moment I started to play minis (come on make Imp Luke!! oh yeah and Palps Reborn/Clone. They deserve it!!) Going this path we could see in future Fringe Luke( well why not? before epIV he wanted to join Imp academy), Fringe Chewie (yup!! would go well with Fringe Han), Imp Han, Imp Kyle and many, MANY others......
If you ask me, Sith fraction should be reserved for Dark Lords from EU, such as Marka Ragnos, Naga Sadow, Kun, Droma, Bane, etc etc. Mighty melee force users, who were pretty much powerhouses. One man armies. (I know, impossible to create in nowdays meta with multishooters, but nevertheless...)

Sashlon
Posted: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:41:32 PM

OK, firstly apologies to Dread for continuing to beat this horse, but I have to chime in.

There should never be a Sith Vader. Putting Sidious and Maul into Sith was bad enough. YES everyone knows they are Sith Lords. But they existed within a political context. The Sith faction should always have remained characters from the pre TPM EU stuff. During the KOTOR period for example, there was a SITH Empire. Cool. Draw the Sith characters from that. Maul and Sid were the puppet masters behind the Separatist faction, that's where they belong. Palpatine and Vader led the Empire, and that's where they belong. The new Sith characters are odd fits for the faction, as a the Legacy characters on the whole.

Also, to those complaining about there being a Luke and Vader in the set, just remember that its important to keep the iconic characters of star wars front and center of the game. I will say I have been fortunate enough to have a look at the Luke in testing and he's pretty cool and different. I'm sure the Vader will also be a different and interesting fig. Let's try to keep our perspective here. In the set there are 19 new uniques. That's awesome.

BlooMilk
qvos
Posted: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:24:48 PM

Sashlon wrote:
OK, firstly apologies to Dread for continuing to beat this horse, but I have to chime in.

There should never be a Sith Vader. Putting Sidious and Maul into Sith was bad enough. YES everyone knows they are Sith Lords. But they existed within a political context. The Sith faction should always have remained characters from the pre TPM EU stuff. During the KOTOR period for example, there was a SITH Empire. Cool. Draw the Sith characters from that. Maul and Sid were the puppet masters behind the Separatist faction, that's where they belong. Palpatine and Vader led the Empire, and that's where they belong. The new Sith characters are odd fits for the faction, as a the Legacy characters on the whole.

Also, to those complaining about there being a Luke and Vader in the set, just remember that its important to keep the iconic characters of star wars front and center of the game. I will say I have been fortunate enough to have a look at the Luke in testing and he's pretty cool and different. I'm sure the Vader will also be a different and interesting fig. Let's try to keep our perspective here. In the set there are 19 new uniques. That's awesome.

BlooMilk

I'm all for another Vader and Luke. As others have stated, it's another incarnation of these characters that allows one to play different characters for different squad builds. I like using Legacy Luke for push squads and Commando Luke for Levitate squads.

Here's something to at least consider in the Vader in the Sith Faction discussion. Was not Sidious and Vader continuing the long line of the Sith Rule of Two started when Darth Bane instituted it. Their plan was to always rule the Galaxy. Ruling over everything including an empire was the grand plan from the beginning. Whether Vader was truly a Sith Lord is irrelevant. I think he was because He definitely Lorded it over PeolpleBigGrin . As stated, there are many non SithLords in the Sith faction.

I do see the Argument that Characters in the Sith Faction should represent the OLd Faction. I might agree if not for the fact that Wizos already made Holosid and Maul. The same ones that argue that the game should not be taken literally i.e some things are put in here for gameplay : these same ones can't at the same time argue that Maul and Vader shouldnt' be put in the faction because they are not Sith Lords.

Just my two cents. It is fun though discussing this though.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 11:21:29 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I wish there were an easy way to copy this whole Vader/Luke discussion into another thread.
billiv15
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:09:39 AM

swinefeld wrote:
I wish there were an easy way to copy this whole Vader/Luke discussion into another thread.

I wouldn't worry about copying, just start a new thread, so those that want to continue it, can continue to post over there.
dreadtech
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:56:02 AM

Well a new thread might be useful on this issue, the reason I asked for it to be stoped here was because these sort of things tend to get out of hand and just ends up in an argument.

Well thankfully that has not happened and i would like to thank everyone who has posted on the subject for keeping there post very polite and respectful, if all posts continue in the same way i guess i have no objections to it carrying on here.
dreadtech
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:03:18 PM

New Update post 1, Sith character.
Azman
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:40:45 PM

WTF... Leviathan ????

Help...how do I customise something that i have never seen ???

Any details ???
Biggsy
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:04:50 PM

This seems to be pretty much the only info we have on it. I think i'll try and find some Dungeons & Dragons figure that looks sort of like this, if there are any.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Leviathan_(creature)

Personally, i'm not too thrilled to see something like this. But hey, you can't hit the bullseye every single time Smile
Demosthenes
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:06:16 PM

Biggsy beat me to it by 1 minute, lol. Was just opening the window to post the link =P

The Leviathan sounds pretty cool. Look forward to seeing some stats!