RegisterDonateLogin

Bloo Milk travels single file to hide its numbers.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

V-Set 14 official list Options
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 4:47:09 AM
Groups: Member

shmi15 wrote:
[quote=jen'ari]

You mean Mace Windu, Legacy of the Light Side!

Well no, I am talking about the "gatekeeper" of those costs. Mace Windu is too powerful and jumpy imo to be a standard.

Corral Horn and vset Revan for 62 are the ones for the 60 pt range imo
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 5:57:38 AM

VEN ZALLOW!!!!!!!!!
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 6:51:39 AM

That piece is so good I love it. I have been so excited for this piece since I was asked to play test it.
dreadtech
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 7:11:24 AM

Just to mention a few characters out of so many. Like most of what I see. The only one I really don't like is the Antarian Ranger Tactical Soldier. Cannot see any reason to take him. Really wanted to see a boost to the rangers not a negative for them.

Like the concept of Booster Terrik, Smuggler Chief, and think he is well made and well thought out. Really suits the character. Need to play him to see if any good but the concept is fantastic.

Galactic Alliance Recruit is good and help with cheap reserves or similar affects.

Also like Jace Malcom, Old Republic Trooper. Would like to see more old republic game characters. Maybe if there's another set out before the next film, we could have the mini set based around knights of the Fallen Empire? This also gives the opportunity to have more fringe Jedi characters. Also like the M-6, SIS Droid. Master Q'Anilia as well, though as I will never take a purely Covenant team, a character I won't personally use. Still it's a well thought out character.

Overall though I think this sets slightly better than the last few sets. So well done all involved in creation and testing.

Look forward to having the set. Are you close to reaching the acquired amount to cover the cost?
jak
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 7:34:39 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
SithBot wrote:
have these been posted? ^^

All you need to do is click on that link and listen

Or, you could jut tell usFlapper
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:38:36 AM

shmi15 wrote:
Jedi Holocron

Not overly impressed with the piece myself, I'm sure there is more to it than what I just heard, first time hearing its stats and what it can do. But if you have to carry it with you down the board, I don't see it being crazy good. Maybe some insight to squad building, and some pieces who were shown to be the most productive with it?

This piece has a lot of potential. It should be noted that Trevor Payton designed this piece with the help of the set 14 design team for winning GenCon 2016.

It essentially gives it's holder LS Defense, and on it's turn it can move an adjacent force user ally 3 squares, and then allies with a LS within 6 gain Ranged Defense Expert +2. This is all pretty massive for an 11pt piece. Additionally, future figures can "add" powers to the Holocron, increasing it's usefulness. (Note Darth Baras to see how that functions).

In all honesty - I don't think I will ever build a Jedi centered squad and not consider this piece. It's just too good to overlook. I foresee it being played a lot.

Deaths_Baine wrote:
VEN ZALLOW!!!!!!!!!

Deaths_Baine wrote:
That piece is so good I love it. I have been so excited for this piece since I was asked to play test it.

jen'ari wrote:
If it is 46 than that is great.
It should be a standard for a melee force user as far as design goes. Can't really go any more powerful, but it can still be boosted to good effect

It is a complete piece that is good enough to be seen and be very useful.
I feel it is very well balanced and powerful but in a fun way.
A lot of new pieces should follow the example by this piece.

It is by far the best of the set imo. And it is one of the best force using melee pieces in a while. And on top of that it is in a faction that needs these types of pieces.

Glad to see all the love for Ven. He's certainly powerful, and we knew he'd be a fast community favorite. As noted - OR needed something like him, and the new concept of Force Attuned really is key to his design. He can move 6 then attack+push, move 6 then attack+recover, move 6 then push x2, recover twice, move 6 then push+recover, move double then push, move double then recover. That's not mentioning the "move faster +2 squares you can add onto many of those combos.

Stifling Attack is really what Suppressive Fire should have been. Note we have it on multiple characters - but (importantly) we future-proofed it to a certain extent by making it only work against adjacent allies. So if a shooter ever gets it - they can't use it across the board.

Stalwart laughs at Mace Windu LotLS, and turns missiles, flamethrower, lightening, etc into pinpricks.

Check him out in combo with the Dowutin Soldier. That is some serious melee interference!

TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:51:45 AM

dreadtech wrote:
Just to mention a few characters out of so many. Like most of what I see. The only one I really don't like is the Antarian Ranger Tactical Soldier. Cannot see any reason to take him. Really wanted to see a boost to the rangers not a negative for them.

Like the concept of Booster Terrik, Smuggler Chief, and think he is well made and well thought out. Really suits the character. Need to play him to see if any good but the concept is fantastic.

Galactic Alliance Recruit is good and help with cheap reserves or similar affects.

Also like Jace Malcom, Old Republic Trooper. Would like to see more old republic game characters. Maybe if there's another set out before the next film, we could have the mini set based around knights of the Fallen Empire? This also gives the opportunity to have more fringe Jedi characters. Also like the M-6, SIS Droid. Master Q'Anilia as well, though as I will never take a purely Covenant team, a character I won't personally use. Still it's a well thought out character.

Overall though I think this sets slightly better than the last few sets. So well done all involved in creation and testing.

Look forward to having the set. Are you close to reaching the acquired amount to cover the cost?

Glad you are liking what you see.

One note about the Antarian Ranger Tactical Soldier - He does give quite a boost to them by making all Antarians "troopers". There are so many Trooper boosts (Arkanian Jedi General, Kenth Hamner, Mirith Sinn, etc), bringing them into that subfaction is quite major. However, allowing them to have double made them max out to the extreme. You could boost them up to 40-50 damage per shot with a very high attack - letting them have that with double was way too much for a 12pt piece (11 with rapport). Not to mention, the only way you could do it was in NR resistance, and it made them better than anything else in resistance - completely squashing that subfaction. Is the ART soldier a power 9 or 10? No - but we hope still playable. We wanted them to be a utility piece, a piece you would include 1 or maybe 2 of in your squad, not spam them. That's why they have a relatively high price. But non-unique LoS disruptive and stealthy door shatter is pretty great utility.

Here's a squad to think about:

Bryan Hole took this squad to 10th place at GenCon 2014, and this piece would improve it

--"Hollaback Girl" (Bastila's Rangers, the GenCon 2014 10th place Squad)--
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
27 Lobot
23 Jedi Shadow
20 Antarian Ranger Captain
19 Old Republic Captain
17 Jedi Sentinel
55 Antarian Ranger x5
6 Mouse Droid x2

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 20 Bith Black Sun Vigo

(200pts. 14 activations)

Swap in the ART Soldier for either the Shadow (and you get a little more fodder) or the Sentinal (-1 rapport from the captain makes them 17). It gives even better door control with Shatter beam, you can shut off NU CEs with LoS, and the captain and the ART Soldier count as the same name as the regular Antarians. So their squad bonuses don't fall apart after losing just 2 of them. Now you have 7 that count as "Antarian Ranger Trooper", and you can spread out more and still get the squad bonus. Solitary Attack has zero effect in this squad.

Another squad:

--The ART of the OR--
30 Arkanian Jedi General
23 Jedi Shadow
14 Tactical Officer (-5 rapport from ART Soldier)
14 Old Republic Senator
17 Antarian Ranger Tactical Soldier (-1 rapport from AR Captain)
66 Antarian Ranger x6 (-1 rapport each from AR Captain)
9 Mouse Droid x3
6 XT-6 Droid x2

(199pts. 17 activations)

Shadow keeps the +4/+4 going, and they have pretty incredible GMA firepower. GMA not possible without the ART Soldier. 8 "Antarian Ranger Troopers" keep the squad firepower going. All the Antarians (minus the captain) get sniper, recon and it's a trap. +4 to inits, and throw on Force Valor and the Rangers get +17 attack and 25 defense in cover. Oh - and cannon shots with the senator for 50 damage. And you get that extra activation when you need it from the XT droids - twice. Again - Solitary Attack has zero effect in this squad.

Then you have NR options:

--Dropping the Antarian Hamner--
34 Kenth Hamner
23 General Wedge Antilles
17 Corellian Security Officer (-5 rapport from ART Soldier)
17 Antarian Ranger Tactical Soldier (-1 rapport from AR Captain)
66 Antarian Ranger x6 (-1 rapport each from AR Captain)
9 General Dodonna
5 Killik Drone
9 Mouse Droid x3

(200pts. 16 activations)

They now get cunning from Kenth Hamner (not possible without the ART Soldier), and It's a trap + Deceptive from the Corellian. Again - 8 "Antarian Ranger Troopers" keep the squad firepower going. Boardwide mobile and Evade from Wedge, Dodonna does his thing, and door won't be a problem between the killik and the ART Soldier. And again - Solitary Attack has zero effect in this squad.

Mirith Sinn is another option for Super Stealth Antarians.

I hope these squads show a little more potential for the Antarian Ranger Tactical Soldier than it first appears.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:36:28 AM

Updated with new stats
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 12:27:19 PM

The Jedi Holocron amazing!

Check out this video tutorial to get a better idea of how a Jedi Holocron is used.

It's a small movement breaker for Lightsaber characters.
It's a force bank for rerolling, moving faster, and Lightsaber Defense.
It can give a Jedi access to LS D who didn't have it before.
It gives all Lightsaber characters w/6 squares Range Defense Expert +2
It can be used to block off a square and prevent an enemy from becoming adjacent.
It allows a Jedi to safely hold a door open out of LOS of enemies.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 3:18:11 AM

Come on people ven zallow!!!
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 7:23:18 AM

I know people throw shade a lot on here, but the execution of the holocron, IMO, is terrible.

I would have just added it to a jedi by simply putting the card slightly beneath the choosen ally, and the choosen ally gets whatever the holocron gives. Then when the choosen ally dies, the holocron goes to the next valid adjacent character or it dies as well.

making it a physical piece is silly.

I love the concept, it's something I've wanted for a while, but making it move with a character and occupy new squares is odd to me.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 7:29:26 AM

--zen master--
46 Ven Zallow
37 Satele Shan
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
21 Covenant Defender
14 Old Republic Senator
10 Army of Light Trooper x2
3 Mouse Droid

This is the squad I playtested.... simple...yet elegant.... 9 acts but deadly. the staying power is incredible.

simply put I love this piece. and you will love this piece, we will all love this piece for sets and sets to come. Love Love Heart Heart
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 7:31:33 AM

donnyrides wrote:
I know people throw shade a lot on here, but the execution of the holocron, IMO, is terrible.

I would have just added it to a jedi by simply putting the card slightly beneath the choosen ally, and the choosen ally gets whatever the holocron gives. Then when the choosen ally dies, the holocron goes to the next valid adjacent character or it dies as well.

making it a physical piece is silly.

I love the concept, it's something I've wanted for a while, but making it move with a character and occupy new squares is odd to me.

I was not part of this set, just individual pieces and had no input whatsoever on this piece, so that said take this with a grain of salt....

I think they wanted to avoid "equipment" pieces. that's all I have lol.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 7:44:26 AM

But a holocron is an equipment that somebody carries around with them like a helmet or a gun. The owner has to use it like a user has to use a lightsaber or a gun. Hope this was PTd to death because I see some abusive uses coming.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 8:07:02 AM

donnyrides wrote:
But a holocron is an equipment that somebody carries around with them like a helmet or a gun. The owner has to use it like a user has to use a lightsaber or a gun. Hope this was PTd to death because I see some abusive uses coming.

not necessarily I think of a holocron as more like something you study and can leave at home once you learn its secrets after that time period its optional to carry.

neither of which lends itself to a board game easily.

as I said I think that they were trying to avoid opening up the game to stuff like:

helmet modification- cost 3 character gains x
blaster upgrade- cost x character gains x

because it gets out of hand and stuff, as well as changes rules and timing and blah blah blah.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 8:41:16 AM

Come on guys ven!!!!
harryg
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 8:42:26 AM

Read something wrong
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 9:21:50 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Come on guys ven!!!!

OK, Ven is awesome and is what every lightsaber wielding unique should be which by that I mean a self-contained stud who needs no buffing to be good. He could be a key piece to making really fun CE-less beat stick squads. His only problem is that he is 46 points and can only dish out a max of 60 damage if he has the FP to do it. He reminds me of the old school WotC builds that way, but WAY more tanky with being able to LS defense, and drop force power damage and Flamethrower/bugs/nades/etc damage to 10 then use Recovery 20 on his turn without being punished by the "replaces turn" aspect of the Recovery 20 ability.

I also like his ability to run up to somebody and Double Attack with GMA then Push them away so they aren't adjacent anymore which would kill the enemies ability to retaliate with their own Double/Triple/Quad attack.

Great Piece, one of the best in the set IMO.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 9:41:54 AM

really thought there would be more buzz about this guy. maybe when people play around with him they will get excited.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 9:51:05 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Deaths_Baine wrote:
really thought there would be more buzz about this guy. maybe when people play around with him they will get excited.

Ven looks like a power 10 piece. Should be seen on the table quite a bit.