RegisterDonateLogin

I'm Mon Mothma, and I approve this website.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Fall 2017 Vassal Regional Pairings and Reporting Options
Darth_Jim
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:35:48 PM
Groups: Member

TimmerB123 wrote:
You, your brother and one other wanted to make up this brand new rule. Jim has never before played in a Vassal tournament, and you convinced him (falsely) that it was the way it's done.

This is not accurate. However, because of the time that has passed, I guess I can understand how things can become mixed up. I would refer anyone who is fuzzy on the details to page 5 of the 'Fall Vassal Tournament Discussion' on page 2 of the General heading. My initial post on this subject is about 3/4 of the way down, the first posted Oct 1. My intent was to start a discussion on the topic, evidenced by the 2 questions I posed at the end of my comments. Anyone can follow the discussion after that continued through most of page 10. As far as I can see, I was the first one to allude to withdrawing, (page 6) however I will admit that I was the 3rd one to actually withdraw. Still, that should show that I wasn't 'convinced' to withdraw at all; the idea to do so was mine. If one were to paint me as the bad guy, they'd have a better case saying that I instigated this uprising. That also is false.

As stated, I wanted a discussion started... a calm, rational discussion. No need for any theatrics. Yes, I am an inexperienced Vassal player and maybe that plays into this, but I have yet to see anyone address the larger point I tried to make in most of my posts and several personal conversations. That point is this: If a player is going to watch other people's games but not allow others to watch his, that's unfair. It's actually irrelevant as to the reason for the locked room because there are many valid reasons why people might want to lock it. In this case, I thought that it was unfair to me. There were several squads in this tournament that I didn't 'get' that I wanted to see in action to see what it actually did. Matt's was one because it is Vong and I've never made it a secret that I don't know that faction and have had 0 interest in playing it. TJ's was another one. I planned on checking out both. I tried to watch one of Matt's games, the one he played Caedus, but it was pretty clear after a round or so that I wouldn't get to see how it worked because it was such a bad matchup for Caedus with his Sith. So, after seeing Matt constantly online watching people's games and then not being able to watch his, I thought that wasn't right. I still don't. Had Matt been running stuff I'd seen before, I'd never have complained.

Still, the only time in that thread I got upset was when I thought I was being accused of shaming someone. For my part, I really did want an honest discussion. I am disappointed that this community has gotten to a point where we can't have that. I get that people get passionate about their games...after all, I play X Wing and see that 'passion' with every new wave of ships and published errata. Despite having a huge international following, in all the X Wing forums I am in I have rarely ever seen things get personal. It happens all of the time here, and that's why I've thrown my time and enthusiasm into X Wing and haven't touched minis since this mess all started.

Jenari and Death's Baine can answer for what they have said themselves in the thread, but they should not be held responsible at all for my words and actions. No one coerced me into saying or believing anything. They did make some relevant points and raised questions that I thought were valid but I didn't address them because from my first post in that thread to my next one things just blew up in the meantime. (I was at work.) I'm not going to address them now, either. I wouldn't have said anything at all in this thread if I hadn't seen them accused of something that I did. I've moved on and am happy to play X Wing. Or Catan. Or Ticket to Ride. Or any game where people don't end up screaming at each other.

OK, I think that covers it. See you at the X Wing table, but be prepared for pain if you bring Rebels up against my Scum and Imperial builds.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, December 2, 2017 6:18:23 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Can we get some hard deadlines now?
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, December 2, 2017 10:21:31 PM

Do deadlines even matter anymore? lol. Thank you Naarkon for putting on a tournament. Sorry your first time was this big jumbled mess. Especially sorry that 3/4 of the top 4 are not playing. Really big bummer there.

But just out of curiosity.... How does someone not find the time to play a 1 hour game within a 4 week span? Even when I worked 70 hours a week.... I could find time to play a quick game of minis, especially with such a large window. Is there no effort?

Is the game officially dead? Now that designers no longer have time to play in committed tournaments? that require 1 hour of playing in a 2/3 week period? Are we done releasing pieces? I would assume no time for an hour game, means no time to design, create, and discuss pieces in a set ( which would require more than 1 hour in 2 weeks, I assume) Especially no time to play test, and especially no time to for the balance committee members.

Can we get any clarity on whats going on really here?

But I am the most sad that Darth Jim was attacked, he is a fantastic man, and a fantastic minis player, and now, this community is 2 people less ( him and his son) When does the madness stop people.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, December 3, 2017 6:35:27 AM

The difficulty with a Vassal tournament is that the time has to be contiguous and coordinated with the opponent. Most of designing can happen in 5 minute chunks of time.

theultrastar and I both had time to play during the week but our windows of time didn't overlap. When I offered time slots on two consecutive weekends and he didn't have time, he conceded.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, December 3, 2017 3:56:24 PM

Um, neither Spry nor I are uninterested in playing. We both want to make it happen. There seems to be a pattern on these forums, of people assuming the worst about others and then overreacting

Matt and I have texted back and forth several times, trying to make it work. He offered to concede to me but I said that he would probably win if we did play, and therefore it wouldn’t seem right for me to play in the final when I really haven’t earned it.

Matt said he’d let Naarkon know about his moving situation and see how things were decided with regard to that. I’m happy to wait until Matt is available again, if Naarkon makes that call. I’d also be happy to play TJ already tonight if that’s what gets decided.
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:23:28 AM

I am still leaning towards letting the tourney run until matches get played, but if life is getting in the way and that could take a while I am also fine with calling it here. I haven't heard directly from most of the people still involved so I don't know the whole situation but it might be best at this point to just call it with the current results and get some closure. Let me know what you think.
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:27:56 AM

Edit: deleted double post.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:32:06 AM

I think you should give them a hard deadline before calling it. I like my chances versus Matt a *lot* better than my chances versus Trevor, so I hope they can get their game in. BigGrin

Not that I have an autowin versus Matt, but I did beat him once in a close one, and I scored ZERO points when I faced Jangalore in round 1 (Etienne's squad).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 5:35:18 PM

I don't like this hanging over my head, so I'll give a deadline. As of this Friday night, I'll drop out or concede or claim victory. Whatever seems most appropriate. I just don't want it dragging out (for me) any more beyond that.

Or maybe Naarkon's last post was him calling it, in which case he can state the final results, whatever they may be.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 9:36:06 AM

Looks like either I won or Trevor won. Did spry concede to Trevor? If so, I'm conceding to him as well. Or was their game considered a double-loss? If so, looks like I win by default.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 5:53:42 PM

Matt and I just finished out game. The final score was 205-182, for me. The final round came down to a 60 hp Jango facing off against a 40 hp Shakel and some support. Matt won that init (his first of the game) and used Thud Bug...Jango survived it with a 16 save, and then proceeded to hit then crit Shakel for the kill, then finish off Quorreal to put me at 205. This was after probably 4 or 5 crits for me during the game.

Quick summary before that:
R1: Positioning.
R2: I kill Khalee with Rigged Dets, Matt kills Vindicated with Shakel/Tsavong combo
R3: I kill Minos, Matt kills Mira and Kelborn with Shakel/Tsavong combo. I use FA with Jango (full hp) to base both Shakel/Tsavong
R4-5: I finally manage to wear Tsavong down, and he fails his AD save with a 6 (needing double 7s to live). Heavy damage back on Jango. My Tactician dies because he's cramping Jango's style
R6 or so: Jango and Shakel swing back and forth. The other guys swung too but Jango doesn't notice
R7 or so: Matt finally wins init, uses Thud Bug, Jango is lucky, Jango triples and is lucky again to crit and kill Shakel, then his last attack on Quorreal for the win.

Naarkon, it's your call about how we go from here; I'll wait for your input here. Based on TJ's last 2 posts I'm not sure what the next steps are at this point.

It's been a fun tournament, and I've had a fun time using my new squad. I didn't expect to win in the last swiss round vs Bronson, though I figured that I had an outside chance, and I got lucky with some positioning. I firmly expected to lose vs Matt but the vassal dice were extremely kind to me today (and Jango finally brought his good blaster to the fight!), and so I got lucky there too. Hopefully TJ is still willing to play for the final; if he's not then I'd be happy to have anyone stand in for him and take his place (it doesn't even matter what squad they use, lol!) I just don't want to "win" the final by concession.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 7:31:14 PM

I would volunteer to play you... but I lost Vassal because my laptop broke :( I could play you the classic Chess way!

Move Luke to EE12, attack!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 8:07:31 PM

With Vset 15 needing to be completed, at this point if I have an hour free for Vassal, I want to be playtesting. If you want to wait until after the new year, the set should be done by then and we could maybe do it then. But I did officially concede, so no problem if you want to accept that instead of waiting.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 9:55:00 AM

I'm happy to wait until January. There's no rush on my end. :)

And yeah: concessions are a wimpy way to "win" so I do not accept your concession! :D lol
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, January 8, 2018 9:40:40 PM

Still interested in how this turns out. Let us know when the final is being played and I will try to be on to watch
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 8, 2018 9:43:47 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
I'm happy to wait until January. There's no rush on my end. :)

And yeah: concessions are a wimpy way to "win" so I do not accept your concession! :D lol

I have un-accepted the concession from theultrastar, but this was on hold until PT for Set 15 finished. It just wrapped up, so hopefully I can work things out with theultrastar and the winner can play thereisnotry.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 4:59:26 PM

FYI, for those who are interested:

It looks like Bronson doesn't have the time to get a game in, so it'll be TJ and I in the Final. He and I are trying to find a time that we can play, but his schedule has been quite restricted recently.

Once TJ and I schedule a time we'll post it here so that perhaps it can be watched by anyone who is interested. However, there's also a possibility that we'll end up scheduling it "on the fly" (ie, on text messages, like this: "Hey, I'm available in 30 minutes...does that work for you?" "Yes, sounds good"...that kind of thing). If that's the case then I don't think it'll help much to post in this thread.

Regardless, we expect that the Final will be happening soon.

thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:11:32 PM

TJ and I are about to start our Finals match. Anyone who would like to watch is welcome to.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:30:25 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
TJ and I are about to start our Finals match. Anyone who would like to watch is welcome to.

(It's on Vassal.)
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:33:07 PM

I have to redownload vassal so I can't watch :( Good luck to both of you! I think we set a record for longest SWM tourney right?!