RegisterDonateLogin

Range 6

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Fall 2017 Vassal Regional Pairings and Reporting Options
Naarkon
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 4:59:45 AM
Groups: Member

According to my math (things got messy with the withdrawals), thereisnotry, theultrastar, FlyingArrow, and spryguy1981 are our top four (This is tentative until I can get that confirmed). Once that is confirmed we can start top 4 matches. I'm going to extend the time to schedule the match by quite a bit to make sure those involved can schedule games, but once the semifinal matches are over the finals match can be played right away.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 2:33:20 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Naarkon wrote:
According to my math (things got messy with the withdrawals), thereisnotry, theultrastar, FlyingArrow, and spryguy1981 are our top four (This is tentative until I can get that confirmed). Once that is confirmed we can start top 4 matches. I'm going to extend the time to schedule the match by quite a bit to make sure those involved can schedule games, but once the semifinal matches are over the finals match can be played right away.

Are these results official yet?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 2:03:30 PM

Is that a yes?
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 11:59:16 AM

By my calculations - here is the rankings of the four players with 10 points

Tournament points - all 10
Record - all 3-2
Head to head N/A (all tied players would've had to have played each other)

Strength of schedule

1 Spry = .68
2 Darth-O = .61
3 UrbanJedi = .52
4 UrbanShmi = .43

Method - add all records (not tournament points) of opponents, and divide the total wins by the number of total games played by those players combined.

Of course only Naarkon can make it official, but Spry being in fourth place is what I have as well.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:08:32 PM

By the way, The official withdrawals, while unfortunate, are perfectly fine to deal with.

The players that just sort of disappeared and didn't show up for their games can effect things much more.

Luckily in this case it wouldn't have changed who is in fourth place, but a good lesson for the future.

Please everyone, we all understand that real life can get in the way. Just have the courtesy to let the tournament organizer know and officially withdraw. That way people who want to play games can get games, and the auto losses from people who don't withdraw and then don't show up, won't throw off the standings nearly as much.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:17:53 PM

I'm going to move ahead with trying to play theultrastar since there doesn't appear to be any question about the 2-3 matchup.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:21:29 PM

For example, in this tournament, of the 4 players vying for 4th place, only 1 game was played between any of them. There are six possible games that could be played between the 4 of them. Usually in a tournament this size you'd see at least 3 of those pair-ups, usually 4 or 5, maybe even 6. Only 1 is certainly an outlier, and very much due to early withdrawals and not showing up for games.

Obviously those players playing each other is a much better way to determine who should be on top (vs strength of schedule), but we have the system we have (which is far from perfect) and it gets messed up even more when this happens.

Anyway - just all info. Nothing can be done about it now.
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:51:29 PM

The rankings posted above are correct. Pairings updated.

thereisnotry vs spryguy1981
theultrastar vs FlyingArrow
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 10:34:58 AM

theultrastar concedes to FlyingArrow.

We tried to find a time, but he said he was too busy and conceded several days ago. I waited until today (the last day) to announce it, in hopes that a time slot would open up where we could get the game in.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:19:02 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
theultrastar concedes to FlyingArrow.

We tried to find a time, but he said he was too busy and conceded several days ago. I waited until today (the last day) to announce it, in hopes that a time slot would open up where we could get the game in.

That's disappointing.

What about the other match?
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:45:36 PM

This tournament really turned out depressing.

I know real life can keep people away sometimes, but it feels like half of the original entries went AWOL or stormed off in a temper tantrum. You'd at least think the final 4 would be committed.

3/4 of the final 4 are MIA.

It's really a shame.

Note - to be clear this is not a knock on Naarkon. He did an exceptional job, even through ridiculous circumstances.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:06:04 PM

Naarkon did indeed do a great job running the tournament.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 12:19:54 AM

How long until TJ is declared winner?
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:47:43 AM

I'm in the process of moving and can't play until this weekend. If that doesn't work then Tint can be awarded the win.
Naarkon
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:01:27 AM

I purposely did not put a hard time limit on these top four matches. Since we don’t have a large group of people waiting to play again when these matches are finished I think it would be fine if it took longer to schedule matches. Sure beats no matches at all.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:19:02 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Stephen is always fun to play with, and we had a nice conversation about our squads, the weird tournament meta, the weird outrage over locked rooms, etc.

stormed off in a temper tantrum

you really seem to want to keep throwing that around...

Fact is that it actually made 3 people really upset. I guess you don't seem to care that for 2 of those 3 it served as the "straw that broke the camel's back" and they have taken a large leave because of it. (one is on balance committee the other was on Play Test Committee) and both are widely respected for their knowledge of the game.

If you don't, personally, understand. It doesn't make you right.
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:39:16 AM

jen'ari wrote:
Ahhh, delicious irony.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 12:13:15 PM

juice man wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
Ahhh, delicious irony.

I am glad that I bring you back to the boards juice! seems you only come around when their is a little drama. To throw a useless post out there.
the HUGE and important difference is that I present my arguments with some evidence, reasoning, or proof. If I am shown to be wrong (it has happened) I change my view.
In some others they just make a statement from a position of being right and offer no evidence, proof, or reasoning.

Hence calling it a temper tantrum without actually providing why it was a temper tantrum. (which I am sure there is evidence for, but evidence for the contrary is there just as much, (3 people left afterall, 2 of which are level headed individuals) creating a neutral line of thought, opinions cannot go anywhere. So, at that point if one walks around with the air of being in the right, they are being pompous.

You are kind of the opposite, you come in with the idea that it's ok to make a useless post and than you just leave the boards completely.... hahaha creating a negative atmosphere with no point behind it whatsoever.

Like a midge. Just there to annoy.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 12:50:30 PM

Jen'ari, you defined it well enough yourself.
jen'ari wrote:
you really seem to want to keep throwing that around...

Fact is that it actually made 3 people really upset. 2 of those 3 it served as the "straw that broke the camel's back" and they have taken a large leave because of it.

You took your toys and went home.

Look, a decade of Vassal tournaments, and never, NEVER has there ever been a tournament that required rooms to stay open.

You, your brother and one other wanted to make up this brand new rule. Jim has never before played in a Vassal tournament, and you convinced him (falsely) that it was the way it's done.

Of the 19 people in the tournament, 16 disagreed with you. Instead of accepting it and moving on, you THREW A TEMPER TANTRUM, and quit.

Of course, temper tantrum is subjective. If you choose to believe it wasn't a temper tantrum, it's your prerogative.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:50:29 PM

I knew you wanted to get it off your chest.
I don't know why the last two times didn't suffice, but I guess you were looking for attention. Maybe you feel the need to "win a point'...

I already gave all my thoughts on it. No reason to do it again. I feel you got the needed attention, so hopefully you don't need to bring it up again. It was concluded that the rules would be published before sign ups, or if not, I will ask the question before signing up

You call it temper tantrum, I call it making accommodations.
P.s. the other one made his own mind up about how things should be done haha you act as if I was whispering in his ear or as if he gives a flip about what I had to say.

P.p.s.
I like how there is no mention of the 2 people that have left the boards...
It did actually have an effect on people, I know you Don't care as long as you don't agree, but it is a good quality to have