RegisterDonateLogin

Before the dark times...before the Empire.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Fall 2017 Vassal Regional Pairings and Reporting Options
kezzamachineII
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 12:19:37 PM
Groups: Member

Okay!

Max (Pnktd2) and I met yesterday morning (NZ Time) and immediately encountered skype problems. Once we sorted out that we couldn't use the skype and got into our typing groove, we got competing in our soon-to-be-epic round 2 clash. Max, running Yobuck/Cin/Quinlan/Serra/Ponda/R2/Spaarti/Uggie, won map and chose his Anchorhead and after I, running AmphistaffJacen/LegendHan/Wedge/Ganner/R2P0/Dodonna/Ossus/R7/Uggie, deferred, Max chose left and set up fairly central with good access to that little door in the middle. I set up at the top end of that long gate on the right and we were ready to roll.

Round 1:
With my Dodonna-ness, I was able to wait out the Republic forces and allow them to set up first. A rough placement from the Republic meant that I was able to run my Ossus to the door into the central room, levitate the Hanster to that door, R7 the far door into said central room, and triple opportunist with Han to take out Ponda and the Spaarti to close round one. The pesky bodyguard and one door control piece down!

Round 2:
This one started with Yobuck doing a big run around the bottom of the map with some force assistance which resulted in a gallop that got R2P0, Ganner (although he hit back), the Ug (bye Kevin!), and a miss on my R7! After my first round charge, Yobuck was a little too far to load into, and as I waited a bit, the rest of his squad began their charge into the middle room so I had to change my focus. Again, Dodonna (who tried to run around Yobuck to join his group after hiding in the corner) gave me the chance to wait them out, and after R2 lifted Serra in to take out my Ossus (thank the Force for Disruptive!), Han made short work of R2 (door control piece #2!) and most of Serra, Ganner levitating him a touch to get the best shots. Jacen, meanwhile, ran out to face Yoda and was blocked on his first shot, and R2P0 ran in to take the place of the Ossus. A slim lead to the NR.

Disruptive... that was pretty key in this game. It meant that Serra couldn't GMA inside the bubble. Mental note (which took us about half an hour to work out): whenever you want to use the GMA ability (through CE), either with attacking or moving, you make the check when it happens. That means you CAN'T GMA (as a CE) into the bubble because you check the attack portion inside the bubble, but (as we later found out) if you killed the disruptive piece with a double attack, you could THEN make a check to see if you could GMA away, which you could do. Bah!

Round 3:
So... Serra kills R2P0 and could have, theoretically GMA'd away, but we didn't know that at the time so she stayed put. Han took two of his attacks and got rid of her and then my cheeky R7 locked the door to isolate the middle room. Astromechs have a mind of their own. This mean that the Republic was down to full-strength Quinlan and Cin, and an only slightly damaged Yoda, and an Ugnaught that was late to the party because he blew up a door in their starting zone. With their door control piece still some time from the door I was locking, I had time to concentrate on Yoda. He made a run and got my Dodonna, Ganner, and Wedge setting up a bit above the alcove around the door I was heavily occupying. By now my R7 was secured in that room and Ganner was guarding it and Han. Slight advantage me, but some BIG Republic pieces very close... oh, and now I'm losing Gambit as Quinlan and Cin are in the middle room.

Round 4:
Okay. Now it gets funner and more terrifying. I charge up on Yoda and throw everything at him. In the exchange he drop Wedge down to 20, but I manage to drop him from 140 down to 10, thanks to some awesome combinations. This is all still happening slightly above the right alcove into the middle room. Meanwhile, my door is still locked (thanks R7), his Uggie starts a run to go below the middle room and avoids LOS, and Cin and Quinlan occupy the centre room in a menacing fashion.

Round 5:
I start the round by Force Pushing Yoda to be one with the Force. I drop wedge to be tactically below the alcove door. Han still waits with the R7 ready to go, Cin and Quinlan still waiting on the other side getting gambit, which is still a big factor. The Uggie sets up below the middle room - he'll be blowing up the door I'm trying to protect in two rounds.

Round 6:
But, now he won't as I move Wedge down and shot the little fulla, taking out his door control completely. The Republic retaliate effectively by Cin dropping to open the bottom door and Quinlan lightning-ing Wedge into space. I've got control of the doors, but they've got control of gambit. Ganner's on 60, Han is full strength but with little defense, and Jacen - who has been quiet this game so far - is on 100hp, hanging out with his Dad in that cosy alcove.

Round 7:
Now, it's time. Despite me getting Serra, Yoda, and change, his gambit means that he'll go ahead at the end of this round unless I force the issue. I delay before opening the door and trying to set up my bigs in the room so that I get gambit as well. Han gets a couple of cheeky shots through Cin's Soresu, but Quinlan is still full. Time is now almost up. I'm ahead by less than ten as we both get gambit.

Round 8 - final round!
I've made a crucial error. He can move 8 with Quinlan and take out my Ganner, but doesn't see it. He instead charges at Han and Jacen, but doesn't roll well. Ganner gets the hell outta there, and Han and Jacen take the last lot off Cin - it's over! I try smash Quinlan as much as I can, but he's way too healthy for me to get a full win.

New Republic wins 181-136!

Wow. I don't know if I have adequately expressed how close and nail-biting that was, but it was pretty tense on my end of the keyboard, I can tell you. A couple of times, my wife called out from the other room, "what is going on in there?" which may better suggest the noises I was making in the tail end of the game. I've been studying this game for a week and did not think I would win it, but I knew that door control coupled with my accurate shot could be the deciding factor - which it was.

Max is a great competitor. He played well and has a nice scary squad. He's also really courteous and an awesome man. Kudos, Max!

I'm seriously glad that we have 10 days for each match. I couldn't do that again in a hurry...
pntkd2
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 1:13:12 PM

What a great game! The perfect balance of tense, yet friendly and crazy luck!

Looking forward to playing you again
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, October 1, 2017 6:07:17 PM

Spryguy1981 beats Darth_Frenchy 204-155 on Rhen Var

R1 Nothing
R2 both move towards middle room, both gain gambit
R3 Vong win init Khalee Lah uses YYD to put 50 on Vindicated. Jango and Kelborn kill Minos on a Crit, but he doesn't activate Vindicated yet so Tsavong with Master Shaper is able to use YYD on Vindicated to drop him to 10HP. Sha'kel with disciplined leader puts 30 on Kelborn and his CE allows Tsavong to kill Vindicated. Both in gambit
R4 Khalee uses YYD to put 50 on Resurrector, Kelborn does something, Jango drops Tsavong to 20. Sha'kel kills Kelborn, and CE's Tsavong to put another 30 on Resurrector. Tsavong doesn't use YYD and kills Resurrector and runs to a place harder for Jango to get to him. Gambit for me
R5 Jango kills Tsavong, Khalee bases and uses YYD to put 30 on him. Sha'kel kills a Demolitionist as does Nen Yim. Quorreal bases Jango and misses. Gambit for me
R6 Khalee uses YYD on Jango for 30, Jango then uses furious to hit my entire squad. Uniques mostly evade. Gambit for me. I kill his R7 with Sha'kel gambit for both
R7 Jango kills Quorreal and Khalee, gambit for both and I'm over 200.

3pts for Spryguy1981
1pt for Darth_Frenchy
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:57:58 AM

Round 3 pairing are up.
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:42:53 PM

Spryguy1981 beats thereisnotry 204-117
Map: Cloud City

R1 Both hit gambit
R2 Lots of shots and attacks, Khalee Lah dies, Vindicated at 10 DMG Both get gambit
R3 Tsavong gets Vindicated, Jango gets Tsavong, Sha'kel gets Kelborn, Minos gets Mira I get gambit
R4 Jango gets stuck in a room, Tactician gets Nen Yim, Quorreal gets Tactician, Yun-Ne'shel runs away, Minos gets the Demolitionist I get gambit
R5 Jango opens doors, I miss some attacks, both get gambit
R6 Jango puts 20 on Minos, I hit some attacks, gambit and game

3pts Spryguy1981
1pt thereisnotry
Caedus
Posted: Friday, October 6, 2017 9:17:18 PM

Caedus defeats UrbanShmi 165 (2pts)-145(1pt)

Played on UrbanShmi's map-Anchorhead

Attention: Hell has frozen over

Great Game, but Laura's Squad should handle mine and were it not for my 6/7 crits it would have.

I erased the game before I could save it and I am Horrible with write-ups.

Best I can do

Rd 1+2 was positioning me in gambit

Rd 3 Everyone important is in Gambit and the swinging starts. TLWE ends the round with 40HP via Cognus, Cognus with 70 via TL and a Med Scan from my missionary and 70hp Ommin via KLWP. Both with Gambit

Rd 4 TL, Shedao, an Uggy, and Ommin bite it. Zannah, KL, take Damage. Both in Gambit

Rd 5 Start as time is called. Zannah, Krath death witch Jakan, KL Die. My Squib crits a Zenoma Scout. Her Consul exacts revenge. Round ends both Gambit

I can no longer complain about Vassal Dice. They were what truly won as I crit in very critical times.

Thanks Laura for the great game, it is always fun when we play!!

FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 9, 2017 8:55:01 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

This was a game of bad moves on both sides.
Map: Rebel Stronghold

FlyingArrow over TimmerB
3-1

Round 1.
Load skiff and advance.
Shae is tucked away in a corner in the small room to the right of gambit.
Gambit FA.

Round 2.
A Kel Dor rushes to base Jabba.
Skiff unloads all but the Rodian Raider. And then tries to kill Shae. Bad move: the Rak *could* have unloaded right next to Shae if the Skiff had landed in the right spot. That would have been 4 attacks and an almost certain kill. Instead, the Rak moves a couple of squares, takes an aoo, and only gets one attack plus Twin. Hits both, but needs a crit and 2 failed saves for it to kill her... no crit and Shae makes both saves. So Shae is at 30hp and she walks out and kills the Killik, the Ewok, and the Czerka with a double-flame. 10hp Gormak, 10hp Rak (he had taken a crit on an aoo), and 130hp Skiff. But Shae also kills 2 Kel Dors whose SD40 is negated by the Gormak. More shooting and stuff. That nearly dead Rakghoul - I initially neglected to move it back to safety. Luckily, 2 Kel Dors missed shots at him. But no matter. A bike runs in at the end of the round and pushes some guys together, including the Rak. Gambit for both.

Round 3.
Shae double-flames again. Kills a Gormak, the Rak, and takes the other Gormak down to 10. Skiff to 110. More shooting and stuff. The gambit bike dies due to a Cunning-Deathstrike shot from the Sanyassan. End of round, Ree-Yees opens one door while his Lobot opens another, getting ready to let his other bike run over my squad again. My Lobot locks a door, trapping the bike and Shae. The bike heads for another exit, but Shae is stuck. Gambit for FA.

Round 4.
Last round. Tim lets me go first and I kill his Lobot. That pretty much seals the game because he can't reach my Lobot and Shae is locked in a room for the rest of the round. But his bike is able to push some stuff together (and push the Gormak away) and Ree-Yees runs up to base and kills the Rodian and the Sanyassan and takes the skiff down to 80. Some more shooting. He bases my Talz with his last 2 Kel Dors. I kill them, which also kills the Talz and takes the Skiff down to 20hp. Gambit FA.

He is left with the MTB, one Rodian, and Shae locked in a room with 30hp. I'm left with Bib, both Hutts at full health, a 10hp Gormak, Lobot, TC-70, and a 20hp skiff.

Really showed that neither of us had played that much with these particular squads as there were many "rookie" mistakes this game on both sides.
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:00:07 PM

Shmi15 Wins 144 - 69 2 point win

First off, great game, and great Sport by Kris. I made every rerolled save from grenades against him, which was probably about 7-9 times, you kinda lose track when your rolling for your life!

We both had Anchorhead, so we did map roll, He sets up first and chooses left side, and loads up in every green square he can. I take the right and spread out along the map.

Round1

Strictly positioning, for him, I kept everyone behind the door, but I was able to get Atton into gambit with a Revan swap, and was also able to lock him out of the outpost center, forcing him to come around, in this same round, I forced him to use his Slicer before Atton, thanks to Queen Amanoa. ( thats what allowed me to lock him out) Amanoa would prove to be huge this game.

10-0

ROUND 2

I get my FS into gambit with Atton, using him to try and keep some Grans from getting adjacent. And then the fun begins. He opens up the door at the bottom of the Outpost center, and is able to grenades Atton. But, a I said earlier, Vassal was with me. I failed my save, and then FP rerolled, and made it. Next activation I use Atton to shoot the Gran holding the door open, and then run Atton out of Gambit, and I am able to get him in a spot where he can only get I think 2 Grenades off that round. He runs a Gran up to keep the door open, and I run revan, allowing him an AoO, and swap in Amanoa, who is not adjacent, but 1 square away from 2 Grans, I Sith Hatred, and then run her away. After my activations, he is able to position around, and grenades twice, which I fail intially, and FP reroll both to make my saves.

22-0

ROUND 3

Intensity here. I let him go first, he grenades, I make the save. I run Amanoa, and Atton back into my starting area, where all my guys are still, because I never advanced, and lock the big door. He opens it with the slicer, and I fail 1 save with Amanoa, but I am able to get an Uggie in front of her to force 1 gran to target him. This round I am able to get Kaan, GARY, and a mouse in the room on my side called Trading Post. I play completely defensive, and he begins advancing on the top of the map through the warehouse/workshop, in a desperate move, I run Revan, swap in my Sith Recruit, and let him take an AoO with a gran, he misses by 1, I then attack an unactivated Gran, kill him, setting off a 3 person bomb with 2 of his Grans, and my Sith Recruit. He then presses the attack full force. And gets the majority of his Grans in or past the halfway point. He also is able to get near the bottom of the trading post, and opened that door, he also killed my XT droid this round.

30-13

ROUND 4

Round 4 went crazy I win init, I let him go first, He tries to Grenades my GARY, I fail the save, he makes his save, GARY at 20 now. On my turn I run Revan 20, swap in Kaan, and blow up, taking 10 Grans, which ended up taking away a lot of his potential attacker this round. He is able to grenades Amanoa again, she gets down to 10HP. Atton runs up, and kills a Gran. And makes like 2/3 saves. Sucking all my FP away. GARY gives the Gran an AoO, he hits it, GARY at 10 hp now, and then GARY kills the gran, shutting the door, preventing him from getting to anyone in that room.

78-49

ROUND 5

I let him go first again, he runs a gran adjacent, grenades, He makes his save, and I make my save. ( I told you I made all my saves) I run FS 4 squares away, Use Atton, give him an AoO, he misses, I kill 2 unactivated Grans, and then jedi Mind trick another, who is within 6 of my FS. But he rolls an 18, so still unactivated. That Gran ends up dying next to Atton, who takes 20, ( now at 60) I run Revan and kill 1 Gran taking the Self Destruct damage (Revan at 110) He gets his slicer in gambit, and collects it this round. I think he gets the Torgorian in there also.

90-59

ROUND 6

I let him go first, he grenades Atton, fails, Atton at 30 now. I use Atton, and get adjacent to that Gran, kill him (Atton at 10) then shoot another in open, and run Atton to a spot where only 1 guy can Nades him. And I make my save :(. My turn, I run a mouse to open the gambit door, and am able to get Revan in there, and kill his Torgorian. GARY braves the world and comes out and shoots the only unactivated Gran left, killing him. Round Ends, and Time is up

144-69

I have never had to think so hard when moving pieces. This squad truly made me think about every single move. And he spread his guys out nicely, keeping me guessing all the time. I can honestly say this was a fun game. And I hope Kris enjoyed it, even tho I made every save :(

Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:44:41 PM

Urban Jedi 40 points and me with 200
Map: Rhen Var, I get right side he gets left

RD1 Movement, nobody gets gambit. I should have, but was 1 square shy. Locked the Door for Jason into the room below Gambit so he would have to use force to open it. (Face Palm)

RD2 Blows the door, I run a demo adjacent to two of his guys and lock the bot gambit door. He kills the demo and forcepush the droid to kill it. I put 50 on obi

RD3 He kills the other Demo and I put Obi down to 10 HP and put some damage on his big guy.

RD4 I kill Obi and His big guy which kills the father

Final Score 40 to 200
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 8:47:50 AM

Today is the last day. I think there are 3 games that have not been played?
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 9:20:50 AM

shmi15 wrote:
Today is the last day. I think there are 3 games that have not been played?

Correct

theultrastar vs kezza

Darth O vs pnktd2

Naarkon vs Rattlehead
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 10:16:55 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Let's get those games played! Woohoo!
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 11:24:41 AM

shmi15 wrote:

Strictly positioning, for him, I kept everyone behind the door, but I was able to get Atton into gambit with a Revan swap, and was also able to lock him out of the outpost center

that's the move of the game if you ask me, well done!
Darth O
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 11:36:35 AM

I've been waiting for Pntkd2 to announce it, but he has conceded our game and pulled out of the league. Super sad to see him go. So we're just waiting on the other two games.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 11:46:18 AM

That's a bummer. He was in the top half going into round 3.

Sometimes real life strikes back
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 12:14:55 PM

So 5 people have dropped. Does this effect how many rounds we play and/or if we do a top 4/6/8? Just curious if we stick to the original call or not on this
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 12:17:34 PM

Interesting Tourney so far. How does SoS work with people who dropped out? Example being me. My first 2 opponents dropped after round 2. Does this make my SoS worse?
theultrastar
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 12:33:42 PM

Shmi, I can tell you it certainly doesn't make your SoS better.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 1:34:52 PM

shmi15 wrote:
So 5 people have dropped. Does this effect how many rounds we play and/or if we do a top 4/6/8? Just curious if we stick to the original call or not on this

People dropping shouldnt change the number of rounds, but that is up to the TO as well as the top cut.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 1:43:10 PM

shmi15 wrote:

Who's the 5th?

Pntkd2

Darth Jim

jen'ari

DeathsBaine