RegisterDonateLogin

Living proof that the Force has a sense of humor!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Drafting League - Chit Chat Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:50:46 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

buttcabbge wrote:

First off, the droid strategy is clearly sound. I even considered taking BDO just to hurt you, but since there's no guarantee that we'll even play each other, there's like a fifty percent chance I wouldn't have helped myself by hurting you. If we were doing a longer season, I imagine we would see more people trying to undercut each other.

Nobody took GG Scourge. I expected someone to take him and have at least a little bit of competition for the droids. As is, GGDAC could be an auto-win. Since nobody took Scourge, I'm thinking GGDAC would have been a better choice than GOWK for my 2nd pick. I was going back and forth between the two but figured GOWK synergizes with almost literally everything, and Scourge/GGDAC would leave both good but not as good as GOWK. But Echo's been able to leave HK-50, IG-88 Droid Assassin, and the B3 all sitting on the table.
empirejeff
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:15:10 PM
Groups: Member

aurra sing was taken 2 times within a span of 3 turns.
creme_brule
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:48:10 PM

empirejeff wrote:

naw dog. The CS one has been on my mind since like my 8th pick, but figured no one would chose her...until buttcabbge picked up aurra JH...then o knew i had to snag her elsesomeone else get any ideas...can you believe boba enforcer lasted as long as he did?!? He was my 12th pick!!
empirejeff
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:49:51 PM

creme_brule wrote:
empirejeff wrote:

naw dog. The CS one has been on my mind since like my 8th pick, but figured no one would chose her...until buttcabbge picked up aurra JH...then o knew i had to snag her elsesomeone else get any ideas...can you believe boba enforcer lasted as long as he did?!? He was my 12th pick!!

Mabe he is the steal of the draft.Glare
creme_brule
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:29:32 AM

empirejeff wrote:
creme_brule wrote:
empirejeff wrote:

Mabe he is the steal of the draft.Glare

maybe...though as my 16th pick i got kol skywalker! I thought he was already chosen! Apparently not...Scared

any steals that you guys got?
Weeks
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:47:33 AM

Jedi instructor is awesome. that was a good pickup for me.
creme_brule
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:03:18 AM

Weeks wrote:
Jedi instructor is awesome. that was a good pickup for me.

i was going to choose him! Lol...dont you guys hate it when youre like 1 or 2 turns away from choosing the fig you want then someone ELSE swoops in and gets it before you?!
empirejeff
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:21:10 PM

does unique rule apply?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:36:07 PM

empirejeff wrote:
does unique rule apply?

Yes.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:35:33 AM

Looks like I was way wrong about how fast the draft would happen. I expected that a few times during the week everyone would be online at the same time and we'd go through a few rounds pretty quickly when that happened, and that the whole thing would be done within a week or a little more. But we're not quite halfway done and it seems like almost every pick takes at least an hour. Although with most squads probably running 9-14 pieces, the last 5 rounds probably won't be very important.

For the 4th of July weekend it might slow down again as people head out of town. After the weekend if people want to we'll see where we are and whether we want to change the rules to speed things up.
empirejeff
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:40:29 PM

hmmmmm how many picks am i behind?Bored Huh Sleep
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:54:39 PM

Arrow i have most of my teams done already i just need 10-12 more pieces to be complete, im not sure if everyone else is in that same boat, but if so we should be done shortly.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 11:31:48 PM

Weeks wrote:
Arrow i have most of my teams done already i just need 10-12 more pieces to be complete, im not sure if everyone else is in that same boat, but if so we should be done shortly.

The draft is scheduled for 40 rounds. Even after you're done it might be worth it to keep going to deny pieces to other people. If you have reserves or reinforcements, it may be worth it to drop out and leave some slots open on your team.

You aren't allowed to drop pieces after selecting them, but if you quit early and draft fewer than 40 pieces you can claim undrafted pieces after the draft (e.g. right before a match to use for reinforcements or during a match for reserves). Reserves and reinforcements take up part of the 40 pieces on your team and can only be part of one team. In other words, you can't use reinforcements to bring the same piece into more than one squad.

After you're done with your own squads, every piece you draft will be one more piece that can't show up in reinforcements/reserves against you. Of course, if you plan to use reserves/reinforcements every piece you draft means one less "open" slot to use for reinforcements/reserves at game time.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 4:10:06 AM

The booster leagues both seem to have a problem with people not getting their games in. That's part of why I made this league so short. With only 6 games we're more likely to actually finish it. We'll also have some rules for auto-losses, but I wanted to put some ideas out and get some feedback before deciding rules for those things.

* A player can voluntarily forfeit.
* A player who doesn't respond to requests on the forum/BlooMail within 5 days automatically forfeits.
* Using an illegal squad counts as a forfeit. (Using a piece that isn't on your roster or using the same piece in a second squad.)
* If two teams cannot schedule a game in a reasonable amount of time, but both teams maintain communication, and both teams agree, it will count as a double loss.

* Winners of forfeits will receive credit for a 200-150 point victory. Losers of forfeits will be penalized with a 200-0 loss.
* Double losses will be scored as 0-0 but counted as a loss for both teams.

For the playoffs, seeding will be determined first by record, followed by combined point spread across all 3 games.

Seeding of teams may be adjusted by at most one position in order to avoid any first round match-ups between teams that played each other in the regular season. (With such a short league, I thought we should go for more variety in opponents.)

Playoffs will be a typical seeded bracket:

4 v 5
3 v 6
2 v 7
1 v 8

2/7 winner vs 3/6 winner
1/8 winner vs 4/5 winner

Championship match between last two remaining teams.

Note that because all 3 squads are public knowledge by the time the playoffs start, there could be an advantage to playing later so you know what squad options your future opponent might have. I don't know if anyone is going to be that competitive, but just in case, the higher seeded teams will have the right to play later than the lower seeded teams. In other words, if the #1 seed wants to postpone their game until after the #4/5 seeds play, they will be able to do that.

Squads from the regular season are the same as the squads used in the playoffs, but maps may be changed if desired.

(NOTE that this is posted in Chit Chat, not the rules thread. This is currently a proposal for discussion, not an official announcement of rules.)
empirejeff
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 7:13:36 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
The booster leagues both seem to have a problem with people not getting their games in. That's part of why I made this league so short. With only 6 games we're more likely to actually finish it. We'll also have some rules for auto-losses, but I wanted to put some ideas out and get some feedback before deciding rules for those things.

* A player can voluntarily forfeit.
* A player who doesn't respond to requests on the forum/BlooMail within 5 days automatically forfeits.
* Using an illegal squad counts as a forfeit. (Using a piece that isn't on your roster or using the same piece in a second squad.)
* If two teams cannot schedule a game in a reasonable amount of time, but both teams maintain communication, and both teams agree, it will count as a double loss.

* Winners of forfeits will receive credit for a 200-150 point victory. Losers of forfeits will be penalized with a 200-0 loss.
* Double losses will be scored as 0-0 but counted as a loss for both teams.

For the playoffs, seeding will be determined first by record, followed by combined point spread across all 3 games.

Seeding of teams may be adjusted by at most one position in order to avoid any first round match-ups between teams that played each other in the regular season. (With such a short league, I thought we should go for more variety in opponents.)

Playoffs will be a typical seeded bracket:

4 v 5
3 v 6
2 v 7
1 v 8

2/7 winner vs 3/6 winner
1/8 winner vs 4/5 winner

Championship match between last two remaining teams.

Note that because all 3 squads are public knowledge by the time the playoffs start, there could be an advantage to playing later so you know what squad options your future opponent might have. I don't know if anyone is going to be that competitive, but just in case, the higher seeded teams will have the right to play later than the lower seeded teams. In other words, if the #1 seed wants to postpone their game until after the #4/5 seeds play, they will be able to do that.

Squads from the regular season are the same as the squads used in the playoffs, but maps may be changed if desired.

(NOTE that this is posted in Chit Chat, not the rules thread. This is currently a proposal for discussion, not an official announcement of rules.)

Should we just post our squads to prevent that?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 7:57:01 AM

empirejeff wrote:

I'm not sure I understand.

Squads should be posted after the games so we can verify the squads are legal. For the playoffs, if you know who won other games and what squads they used, that's additional information that might influence which of your 3 squads to use in the first round. Not sure if people will want to think that hard, but if they do the advantage should go to the regular season winners.
empirejeff
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 4:00:23 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
empirejeff wrote:

I'm not sure I understand.

Squads should be posted after the games so we can verify the squads are legal. For the playoffs, if you know who won other games and what squads they used, that's additional information that might influence which of your 3 squads to use in the first round. Not sure if people will want to think that hard, but if they do the advantage should go to the regular season winners.

First, this is not in the rules.

Second, hmmmmm what?Blink Confused I was just looking for a yes or no. I had to read that over and over and over and over and over and over to understand what you were saying.Bored In other words yes i can read it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 4:10:53 AM

Game 1: You know who your opponent is and you know what their roster is, but you don't know which of the pieces they'll use in their squad. After the game both teams post their squads.

Game 2: You know who your opponent is and you know what their roster is and you know what their first game's squad was, but you don't know which of their remaining pieces they'll use in their second squad. After the game both teams post their squads.

Game 3: You know who your opponent is, their roster, and their first two squads. By then, by process of elimination you probably have a pretty good idea what their squad will be for the 3rd game but not exactly. After the game each team posts their squad.

Playoff game 1: You know who your opponent is and their 3 squads. You'll each bring one of your previous 3.

Playoff game 2: You know who your opponent is and their 2 remaining squads. You each pick one of your remaining 2 squads.

Championship game: The 2 remaining teams use the 2 squads they have not yet used.
Weeks
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 4:04:54 PM

I have now completed my squads. Let me know when we start playing.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:31:23 AM

Weeks (and anyone else), if you don't wish to make any further selections in the draft please post an official "Pass for the rest of the draft" in the draft thread. Note that even if you don't need anything else, taking further selections means those options will not be available for reserves or reinforcements versus your squads. If you have reserves/reinforcements yourself, it may be worthwhile to drop out and leave the last 10-12 slots available so you can choose from all of the leftovers if you need to.

For each person who drops out of the draft, the "threshold" will drop by one. So if Weeks officially drops out, the sum of turns+hours until you can take a turn only has to be 6 instead of 7.