RegisterDonateLogin

Is altering the meal. Pray it doesn't alter it further.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

MOTF Spoiler, If you don't want to know, please don't get in Options
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:27:10 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

That is wrong. Tournament play. Not die without WOTC. In fact, it will be able to thrive without WOTCs interference. Hell, most of it is fan run right now anyway.
CC-23478
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:45:39 AM
Groups: Member

I'm not saying the big DCI sanctioned events or things at gencon, I'm talking the small time players who go to their local game store to play.

I KNOW this from expieriance.

When my LGS closed in 2007 I personally bought up 3 of my competitors collections because they no longer wanted to play.

Most people don't go to the big tourneys.

Once, I beat a guy's squad using only clones and shaak ti.

He never came to a tournament again because his prized squad was beaten by units NO one thought to be playable.
Roque Saber
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:47:22 AM

CC-23478 wrote:
I am more dissapointed with the reactions I'm seeing in this thread than I am the set...while I have no desire for another Han or Vader, I am astounded by what some people are saying.

I've read countless posts and comments about needing new CS Jedi, and we get them, and people are upset, and then saying "we need reprints of ugnaughts and Mouse droids."

I have no mouse droids and no desire to get them.

I have 3 ugnaughts and no desire to use them.

The units that people want so they can win torunaments with no sport, pieces like Mass Amedda and Mouse Droids and Uggnaughts, are the pieces that, a few years from now, no one will want.

Face it people, without company support the tournaments WILL die.

And what will be left is the people like me who play for fun. People who use battle droids and who use Jedi with clone troopers rather than Obi-wan and ugnaughts...

I want to see what will be used for a long time, not what will feed peoples insatiable desire to win at the cost of fun.

Wow, that's one loaded post buddy. Blink I think you're stereotyping players too much. Not everyone buys Mice and Uggies so they can win tournies. It's simply because they are very useful in many ways. Your post also suggests that with the decline of Wizards will also come the decline of competitive play ("no one will want Uggies"). That also seems slightly absurd. If the game is still around (which it will be), there are gonna be people who will want a little bit of competition, even if it's just a friendly one. And let's see, which piece has been used longer: the friendly Uggie Demo, or the Clone Trooper? Wink
Darth_Decronus
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:22:02 AM

CC-23478 wrote:
I am more dissapointed with the reactions I'm seeing in this thread than I am the set...while I have no desire for another Han or Vader, I am astounded by what some people are saying.

I've read countless posts and comments about needing new CS Jedi, and we get them, and people are upset, and then saying "we need reprints of ugnaughts and Mouse droids."

I have no mouse droids and no desire to get them.

I have 3 ugnaughts and no desire to use them.

The units that people want so they can win torunaments with no sport, pieces like Mass Amedda and Mouse Droids and Uggnaughts, are the pieces that, a few years from now, no one will want.

Face it people, without company support the tournaments WILL die.

And what will be left is the people like me who play for fun. People who use battle droids and who use Jedi with clone troopers rather than Obi-wan and ugnaughts...

I want to see what will be used for a long time, not what will feed peoples insatiable desire to win at the cost of fun.

BlooMilk this embodies what i've been saying since i got into this game. cheers to you sir
AdmiralMotti89
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:32:07 AM

CC-23478 wrote:

The units that people want so they can win torunaments with no sport, pieces like Mass Amedda and Mouse Droids and Uggnaughts, are the pieces that, a few years from now, no one will want...

...I want to see what will be used for a long time, not what will feed peoples insatiable desire to win at the cost of fun.

When I play a swarm of 30 ugnaughts or throw 15 mouse droids into play with kazdan, there's no way in hell I'm playing to win. It's all for fun.

Oh, and saying no one will want mice and uggies in a few years... Well, it just goes to show that the poster knows very little about the game, as the rest of the post shows as well. If anything, MD's will go UP in price. They keep getting better with every new range-limited CE that comes, and you can bet there will be a few more of those in MotF and in every subsequent V-Set.
Lachesis
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:32:17 AM

im sorry, that i want the factions that have 19-37 pieces total to get more figures sorry that i dont want republic and rebels who already have near a combined 300 total figured to get more.

you dont know why i play this. you dont how i play this, and you dont know what i want to play in this. to generalize everyone, is stupid.

please sir quit baiting
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:41:26 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Lachesis wrote:
im sorry, that i want the factions that have 19-37 pieces total to get more figures sorry that i dont want republic and rebels who already have near a combined 300 total figured to get more.

you dont know why i play this. you dont how i play this, and you dont know what i want to play in this. to generalize everyone, is stupid.

please sir quit baiting

That can easily be applied to your own post, so please calm down.

Everyone has their wants and stuff they don't want to see. Even if it was a 60 pc, all Unique set, there will be something that will be missed that will disapoint someone. It is fine to be disapointed, but I don't see anything to be worth all the negativity.
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:45:38 AM

It's not a "generalization", it's a sterotype - and like most stereotypes, it's not based on reality (in terms of representing the group of people the poster claims to be representing) but his own limited experience which he incorrectly extrapolates to a large group.

CC and Darth Decronus know nothing of the players they are insulting. And they are insulting, because that's what stereotypes do. Generally, the type of players who make such claim about tournament players, are the result of that player's own insecurity and jealousy. Understand that this is actually a "generalization" being claimed, and not a hypocritical stereotype of my own. Ignorance is most often the difference between the two. People who don't know better, make stereotypes based on limited experience, or often second hand information. As it happens, I've seen lots of guys like these two over the years, and feel the generalization can be applied.

Every tournament player that I know, also plays the game for fun - and this doesn't mean just playing tournament's for fun. Just take a look at the list of players playing in Dean's Booster League on Gamers. There are multiple of the top tournament players in our game playing, and it's a format entirely based on fun.

CC-23478
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:14:29 AM

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, and I wasn't generalizing at all (I try not to stereotype people as I have Aspeger's syndrome, a form of Autism, and so I'm often victim of stereotypes myself) all I'm trying to say is that I don't play the way most of you play.

I get rather annoyed when people give my squad a 1 because it doesn't have any uggies for door control when right above their post it says "thematic squad" and I don't think there were any uggies in Torrent Company of the 501st.

I know a lot about the game, I've played for over 5 years, so please don't call me ignorant, either

Here's food for thought; if no one used R2 for lockouts, we wouldn't have to load our squads with uggies or always include an R7, would we? If we all played nice we could devote more of our squad to combat pieces and have more fun...
CC-23478
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:24:02 AM

I was offered position as the judge at my LGS once...I declined for this reason. I prefer not to make statements that cause people to insult me or dislike me from one comment.

I try to be nice with everyone here, so please don't make rude remarks, I did nothing to antagonize.

And please don't view this as baiting, either.

I'm not trying to bait everyone, I'm just shocked that people call me ignorant after I spoke my opinion.

I was never one to try and win a tournament, I would even help my opponent by pointing out my errors and ways they could act on them, and so I always played what I wanted, that's all I'm saying.

Next time you all go to a tournament, try challenging yourself. Build a squad using only rebel storm or clone strike minis. Then you have to rely on your wit to win, and that makes it more fun.

That's all I'm trying to say.

Sorry if I offended anyone. :)
DarthReeves
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:28:21 AM

Our last set and we get more republic jedi...
I find the lack of New Rep figs disturbing....

GAW = Republic and Separatist
DT= Rebel, Imperial Fringe
Masters of the force = the exact freaking same thing as the last two... So with Windu, Tiin, and Koon we've used up 3 of the rare/VR's already. This is just like the Jedi Academy set. Hopefully Lando goes New Rep and the rest of the pieces can be spread out over Old Rep, Sith, and New Rep (not to mention Vong and Mando)

Oh and War Han being fringe...that would freaking own
CC-23478
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:33:55 AM

Anyhows, here is what I'd like to see in the set:

Jango Fett, Mercenary Commander (for mandos)

Mandalorian Protector (I want a guy mando in the boba type suit, but all we get is the kotor suit)

Alpha ARC Trooper

212 Legion Clone Trooper

A new, better slave Leia

A new Jaina that could go against Darth Caedus

A new Zam

A Darth Maladi

Jodo Kast

D'harhan (what's better than a cyborg with a turbolaser strapped to his chest?)

A new Bane (I can't pay $40 for one)

A decent Obi-wan for rebels

A new Starkiller that focuses on lightsaber combat over force powers

Another Ahsoka

Commander Bly

Captain Fordo

Now I doubt any of them will be made, but one can hope, right?
CC-23478
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:36:07 AM

Yeah, we could use a fringe Han

I think he'll be rebel though, because the yellow and brown pants on the mini denote him as being from Endor

Lando may be rebel cuz he has the uniform, but then...so does hero of Taanab, and he's fringe.
AdmiralMotti89
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:39:57 AM

Lachesis wrote:

I think we all need to take a deep breath and come to terms with the fact that the EU-heavy factions weren't given too much love for good reason.

"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

George Lucas

I can't decide whether KotOR or KotOR II is the greatest video game I've ever played. I loved the NJO books and it's pretty much the only book series over 3 volumes that I ever got into.

But, I totally get that the EU factions didn't get as much love as the other ones. It's like asking a restaurant to change their menu to remove many of their items that the average people will buy to put in a bunch of selections that the real "foodies" would rather have. Instead, they have a selection based on what will profit. If the more eclectic items would be the moneymakers, the company would likely want to provide them, yes? I'm not saying that having the EU factions killed profits, not at all. Even though wizards mishandled the game, I doubt they would ignore our requests for more EU characters if they thought they could milk more cash out of it. Do you doubt that?

CC-23478
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 10:03:17 AM

I agree with you completely AdmiralMottie89.

I'd hate to say it, but I'm one of the ones who doesn't buy it unless they like it.

I only recently got an old xbox from a friend, so I didn't know any of the sith characters and I traded them all away.

Now I'm playing the game and slapping myself for trading away HK-47, Bastila Shan, and Nihilus...

But I do think all the factions are functioning. They all have a core commander and various support pieces (though Vong could use a better commander) and so I have no gripes as to what they should have made.

I collect figures as well, and I have the same problem there.

Vader sells, so he gets made first.

That's called capitalism O_O
yodaccm
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 10:13:39 AM

I agree with AdmiralMotti in that weren't most of these sets created with the idea of filling them out with characters that most non-hardcore Star Wars fans would immediately recognize? I'd like to see more EU characters, sure...but I don't know if from a marketing perspective making a set that comprised of characters a layperson would not recognize is the best way to go. Unless those EU characters made it into a more mainstream forum, like the TV show or popular video game, I would not hold my breath to see those obscure characters from the novels or comics.

I mean, try explaining to someone who is a fan of the movies who the hell the Yuuzhan Vong are (they'll think you are talking about Star Trek), or who Jodo Kast is or what the title of Sword of the Jedi even means (nothing, IMO).

Anyway, my thoughts. I think Saesee Tin looks awesome, so does Plo Koon. Pretty sure the Rodian is Onocanda Farr from the Clone Wars show. Han and Lando look kind of bad. I would wait to vent your outrage until we know all the stats, costs, the rest of the line-up, etc. And just be happy you are getting one final set after DT.
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 10:17:07 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."
George Lucas

That rules.
Demosthenes
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 10:19:58 AM

I actually prefer some of the EU stuff to some of the crap from Episodes I-III. I understand that Lucas is the progenitor of Star Wars, but that doesn't mean other people don't have good ideas, too.
AdmiralMotti89
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 10:35:51 AM

Demosthenes wrote:
I actually prefer some of the EU stuff to some of the crap from Episodes I-III. I understand that Lucas is the progenitor of Star Wars, but that doesn't mean other people don't have good ideas, too.

Outside of the Battle of Hoth, most of the scenarios I play are EU based. My point was not whether EU is just as cool, but if it's just a profitable.
Demosthenes
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 10:37:02 AM

Yep, I know exactly what you mean, and I agree. I just think, at this point, knowing MotF is the last set, they could try and satisfy our demographic (people who actually play the game) by giving us pieces that desperately need an update, or new characters that are strangely missing from the overall collection.