RegisterDonateLogin

Our operation is small enough not to be noticed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Comm. Thread (5/24: Important Question for EVERYONE!) Options
Ukezwoll
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:39:24 AM
Groups: Member

The Celestial Warrior wrote:
Still, clearly gambit was not being scored. What map was being played?

I just know, that if I slowplay under a 2 hr time limit, I can pretty much whittle any character down enough, but this is not the intent of the game. I just wonder if Eroschilles conceded out of obvious frustration and not wanting to sit around for another 30 minutes, while Ukezwoll refused to truly engage him. Untill I see a more clear play report, that is exactly what I see. Ukezwoll took advangtage of the 2hr time limit, recognized that he was outmatched and refused to give Eros a true match.

I scored gambit once. Eroschilles got his points from killing my scrubs. The map was Train Station.

The way the game went was that Eroschilles advanced below the lower row of carts from the right. I meanwhile wheeled to be able to attack him from the top row of trams. The purpose was to allow me to attack from afar while keeping the distance. As it was apparent that I'd be at an advantage until he could close with me. The first guy I hit took 80 damage I think, he then went back to get some healing. The others were more cautious and also had good defense and an ample supply of Hit Points. So even though I attacked them a lot I was not able to do any damage at first. Until I finally had one good activation where they took some serious damage. And they could not hit me back the same round because they were too far away. I believe the purpose of my opponent with choosing this map was to provide good cover while he advanced. I however had enough scrubs to keep the doors open and was able to keep attacking him. He also had few scrubs of his own to open doors with. This placed him in a difficult position.

If you by "engage" mean that both players are obliged to rush all their figures towards the centre, irrespective of at what range they are at an advantage, then, well, let's just agree to disagree.

People see what they want to see obviously. What's interesting is why they see it. Or in this case, why you want too see me as someone "taking advantage of the time limit"?
Demosthenes
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:39:46 AM

I think that, if Eroschilles doesn't have a problem with how the match was played, that this is a non-issue, to be completely honest. He's the one directly affected, and since I know him in person, I know that he hasn't expressed such concerns to me, and I thik we should leave it at that.
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:58:12 AM

Regardless, 14-11 is a ridiculous score for a game lasting an hour and half. The situation you described(with you having the last activation and winning init to put 120 on him) could have just as easily occurred an hour earlier (as I have no idea what round you were in) in what should be the equivalent of the third round.

Secondly, since you want to throw out DCI standards in this debate, I suggested the win be awarded to Eros because under DCI standards he would have had the win at 60 or even 80 minutes, though only a 2 point one. I doubted any one would support that so I threw out the double loss as well. Why wasn't the time limit discussed prior to starting? Why wasn't gambit scored, or if it was, it only seems like it was scored for one round?

I'm sure there was slow play on both sides, but from the play report YOU wrote, it is only evident on your part. Honestly, if I were judging this game at gencon, just from the endstate that I am aware of, you would both recieve a warning for slow play.

Honestly, from what you've described to me, you could have won this match, but my point is you should have been able to do it in 75 minutes (the standard Vassal DCI limit without Skype etc) That fact that you didn't tells me one of two things: 1) You had the better squad and both of you slowplayed, though most of the fault going to Eros. 2) My statement above (Ukezwoll took advangtage of the 2hr time limit, recognized that he was outmatched and refused to give Eros a true match. )

The reason I went with 2 initially was the score. The reason again why I sugested Eros get the win, was my strong feelings against the 2 hour time limit, was it the right statement, maybe, maybe not. But to answer your question about the validity of the win...no it is not a valid victory..even if the time limit had been 75/80 and eros won, it would truly not be a valid win. This is the type of endstate we have been trying to avoid for years and finally have at least something in DCI to prevent it.

Again, you're right, I didn't see the game, and I am going on my past experiences and the experiences of others playing one or the other of you.

I have to admit though, I am really intrigued with how you were able to do 120 damage in one activation in such a limited format. I can imagine a few pieces (on their own) that can, but if you had those pieces then the game should have been over a lot sooner than this. You were 3-0 before this game so the odds that you had this kind of damage through a combination of pieces is pretty low.
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 2:02:27 AM

Ukezwoll wrote:

If you by "engage" mean that both players are obliged to rush all their figures towards the centre, irrespective of at what range they are at an advantage, then, well, let's just agree to disagree.

Nah, I was getting that from your circled around comment. You made it sound like you picked off a scrub with a scrub and then hid behind walls and or doors. Thus by the time he made it to that wall or door, you had hidden behind another wall or door.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 2:45:29 AM

Quote:
I have to admit though, I am really intrigued with how you were able to do 120 damage in one activation in such a limited format.

It's not as hard as you would think. I did 100 damage in a single activation in my last game, and that wasn't the maximum potential damage either.
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 2:48:40 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
Quote:
I have to admit though, I am really intrigued with how you were able to do 120 damage in one activation in such a limited format.

It's not as hard as you would think. I did 100 damage in a single activation in my last game, and that wasn't the maximum potential damage either.

That wasn't the point of my comment though. I know it can be done, and if he had one of most figures that can do it, then the issue at hand (14-11 after 90 minutes of play) shouldn't have ever come about.
Ukezwoll
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 3:20:45 AM

Secondly, since you want to throw out DCI standards in this debate, I suggested the win be awarded to Eros because under DCI standards he would have had the win at 60 or even 80 minutes, though only a 2 point one. I doubted any one would support that so I threw out the double loss as well. Why wasn't the time limit discussed prior to starting? Why wasn't gambit scored, or if it was, it only seems like it was scored for one round?

I find DCI standards to be applicable. When they do not contradict a rule, which for this league is specifically stated to overrule the DCI standards. The 2 hour limit in this case did overrule the DCI standard. I don't believe what would have been the result under a standard, specifically stated not to be valid, to be very relevant. Also I do not believe a rule stated to not be valid for this tournament should affect the outcome of a tournament game in any way. I agree the time limit could have and possibly should have been discussed prior to the game, given that there had been some changes since the beginning of the tournament. That said, I do not believe it is the responsibility of any player to ensure that an opponent is aware of every rule of the game before it becomes an issue. There are a lot of rules in this game and while you obviously point it out when a rule becomes an issue in a game, it is not feasible to work out every issue that may arise before the game. Gambit was not scored because we had other priorities. Me attacking and him finding protected positions.

I'm sure there was slow play on both sides, but from the play report YOU wrote, it is only evident on your part. Honestly, if I were judging this game at gencon, just from the endstate that I am aware of, you would both recieve a warning for slow play.

That may be so. You will also notice that such warnings would not decide the outcome of the game.

Honestly, from what you've described to me, you could have won this match, but my point is you should have been able to do it in 75 minutes (the standard Vassal DCI limit without Skype etc) That fact that you didn't tells me one of two things: 1) You had the better squad and both of you slowplayed, though most of the fault going to Eros. 2) My statement above (Ukezwoll took advangtage of the 2hr time limit, recognized that he was outmatched and refused to give Eros a true match. )

Lol.. umm.. I think the latter statement may be a tad more harshly worded but never mind. Anyway, I suppose I should be grateful that you care enough about the players of this game to pursue the issue.

The reason I went with 2 initially was the score. The reason again why I sugested Eros get the win, was my strong feelings against the 2 hour time limit, was it the right statement, maybe, maybe not. But to answer your question about the validity of the win...no it is not a valid victory..even if the time limit had been 75/80 and eros won, it would truly not be a valid win. This is the type of endstate we have been trying to avoid for years and finally have at least something in DCI to prevent it.

It is a valid victory according to the rules of this league. It might only have been a 2 point victory according to the new DCI rules. It might not have been a victory at all according to whatever rules you might perceive as ideal. But according to the rules applicable to this game it is a valid victory.

Again, you're right, I didn't see the game, and I am going on my past experiences and the experiences of others playing one or the other of you.

While I'm not sure exactly what games this might allude to, I'll be sure to try and savor any victories of mine that might be involved a little bit extra.

I have to admit though, I am really intrigued with how you were able to do 120 damage in one activation in such a limited format. I can imagine a few pieces (on their own) that can, but if you had those pieces then the game should have been over a lot sooner than this. You were 3-0 before this game so the odds that you had this kind of damage through a combination of pieces is pretty low.

Any piece which requires a more or less elaborate set up to do this kind of damage will be less able to accomplish it on a consistent basis. The opponent may not always cooperate. Also if you need some extreme dice rolls to pull it of, then you will be able to do it even less consistently. That said, it can be done and it can be quite spectacular. I do realize that talk does not really convey the full impact of such a barrage. But with some luck, perhaps you too may in your future games be on the receiving end of such an experience. I certainly would not be the one to deny you that.
Wysten
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 4:19:10 AM

It does sound farfetched that a game should be allowed to go on for that long with so little damage, but that may be due to expectation. It can't really be judged unless someone seen it and the game but then again since naither player had complained, nothing should be done. After all, we are 5 rounds in, it's too late for new rules now I feel.

Sounds like it was pretty much a game of cat and mouse. One guy wielded many shooters, while the other would have won if he got into melee range for an extended length of time. No less intense then the typical head on head action of who wears who down first that we are all used to.

To be honest though, considering I am the same, I am really going to have a nightmarish a match against you Ukez, since I am pretty much using the same premise for my squad. XD
Weeks
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 4:25:48 AM

14-11 after 90 minutes is unexeptable by my standards. Granted it wasnt my game. I have a friend at my LGS whos games end 20-21 or something close its just differant playstyles.

With that being said there is really no reason to have a game go that long with that little ammount of pieces getting eliminated. If the players are fine with the outcome i think its fine just dont look for any of my games to end 14-11.
Demosthenes
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 4:43:03 AM

Wysten wrote:
It can't really be judged unless someone seen it and the game but then again since naither player had complained, nothing should be done.

Exactly the point I'm trying to make. If, in the future, people suspect slow play, then we'll deal with it, but that wasn't the case here, so I don't see why there's such an outcry for the match result to be altered.
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 4:53:51 AM

Demosthenes wrote:
Wysten wrote:
It can't really be judged unless someone seen it and the game but then again since naither player had complained, nothing should be done.

Exactly the point I'm trying to make. If, in the future, people suspect slow play, then we'll deal with it, but that wasn't the case here, so I don't see why there's such an outcry for the match result to be altered.

There's really no outcry for the match result to be altered...that was just a throw in. The outcry was only what I percieved to be obvious slow play.
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 5:10:35 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Demosthenes wrote:
Wysten wrote:

There's really no outcry for the match result to be altered...that was just a throw in. The outcry was only what I percieved to be obvious slow play.

Well, it was obviously slow, but it was not intentional stalling by either side. And as this league is not DCI, it should not really be held up to DCI standards of play and judging. It is fine to apply DCI standards in making comparisons to this type of play and what is expected from DCI play as a means of discussion, but I would say it is too far to hand out summary judgement and recommendations for change of outcome due to the fact it was slowplay in a casual game. Even though that casual game was played as part of an organized league.

So, although this is an organized tournament league, there is no officiating body to regulate the rules loosely based on DCI standards.

In regards to this match, I have no qualms with the outcome, and would not want it changed in any way.
greentime
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 9:18:46 AM

Ukezwoll wrote:
This would also serve to illustrate the concept of "morale" I believe, which I'm sure you are familiar with. In wargames that employ this concept it is not always necessary to eliminate every living opponent. The "morale" of a unit is used to represent the will to act of the human component. When the "morale" of a unit reach zero it has no longer any will to carry on left. It will be as little able to contribute as if every living being of the unit had been eliminated. I believe this game was decided when the "morale" of my opponent reached zero and he no longer had the will to carry on playing. Why would you claim this was not a valid victory?

Yes. Sun Tzu said as much - "The highest form of generalship is to defeat your opponent's plans; the next best is to prevent your enemies from joining hands; the next in order is to attack the enemy's army in the field..."

It takes two people to play for an hour and get to 14-11. One person can't do it. Clearly, both players were not willing to take certain risks, and yet everyone is jumping in to castigate one but not the other. Sorry, guys, but that is weak. Furthermore, from what we've heard about the game, it sounds like one more round might have scored, say, 100 points for Ukezwoll and guaranteed him an easy victory.

I loath slowrolling and think Dodonna is the most harmful piece in the game. In constructed I will hound anyone who I think is dragging things out unnecessarily. But that's only in my games. I'm not gonna lean over and yell at other people next to me that they need to hurry up. Maybe some of the more sanctimonious people on here who ought to watch their own table more than their neighbor's. In the end playspeed is a decision made by both players and in this case, they chose slow.

imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 9:48:56 AM

Ok everyone...this has been hashed out enough. If the two players who actually played the game have no problem with the outcome, then leave it as is and move on.
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:54:40 AM

Spry wins 220 to 72, my secondary attacker was on a roll and managed to score 87 points, and that was the deciding factor.
greentime
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:02:50 AM

Greentime wins 217-144. EmpororDragon chose a map that killed me and pulled off some wicked snipes. Fortunately I had enough beef to last.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:14:48 AM

greentime wrote:
Greentime wins 217-144. EmpororDragon chose a map that killed me and pulled off some wicked snipes. Fortunately I had enough beef to last.

Confirmed

It was an excellent game, culminating in a shootout around the statue in the grand plaza. Bossk managed to use a well-placed Stun Mortar to take out Kyle's subordinates, then challenged Kyle to a 1 on 1 fight. Kyle agreed, the two begin their clash, then Bossk list init by 1 and was quickly turned into a fine green mist.

In other news, it seems my dice curse has lifted! Looking back, the only difference between this match and others is that I didn't use my Mandalorian Supercommando, therefore it only seems logical that the Supercommando is a cursed mini. So, I sould probably avoid using him in the future (which is all well and good, considering all he did in earlier matches was suck and die). Unfortunatly for me, his "dies horribly" effect passed to a kel-dor who suffered an Accurate Crit early on.

MVP of the match I'd say would either go to the Clone Trooper with Night Vision, who racked up 6 kills before Cody showed him that his goggles did nothing, or to the Mandalorian Jedi Hunter, who despite being next to Explody McKel-Dor and being reduced to 20 HP, managed to charge the enemy and hold Kyle, Arica, Cody, and a Death Watch Raider at bay for several rounds.
Weeks
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:39:31 PM

DP vs Weeks

Weeks wins 200something to 90something.

My beats and cleaver sniping from my tank proved to be the difference. very fun game.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:03:16 PM

Yeah for no more cursed dice! ED that bit about the MS made me laugh out loud.
creme_brule
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:58:48 PM

Skeeve3000 vs. Creme_Brule

Brule wins, 201-31

it was pretty brutal...the dice were rolling ERALLY high for both siders...though, the clutch rolls (which was like 20) all except 2 failed skeeve...it was pretty brutal as said before. his melee beat shouldve killed my guy, needed a 3...nad orlled a 2. all my guys had like "dice shields" protecting them...he could only kill a couple of stormies and my stelath 6 point guy

good game :)