RegisterDonateLogin

Can beat Deep Blue at Dejarik.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

LEGENDS Vassal Release EVENT! Options
theultrastar
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 9:37:21 AM
Groups: Member

Deaths_Baine I enjoyed reading your favorites from the set, so I thought I would do the same. First off with Old Republic, my favorite would be Revan. He makes it to where you can play a squad made up entirely of the heros from Knights of The Old Republic, and that is pretty awesome. I had a lot of fun playtesting him. A close 2nd for me is the new Bastila. I love Force Stasis.

In Sith my favorite is The Sith Emperor. I remember talking to people about Sith Emperor and them saying the only way you could make this guy would be to make him cost 200pts, so I said Challenge accepted. This was probably the piece I was most proud about how he turned out. We had a lot of good discussion, playtests, and ideas from all of the designers on this piece.

In Republic, my favorite may be the Mace Windu. I love his Force Crush. He was a fun collaborative effort. A close 2nd would probably be the Hero with No Fear. Also a notable mention would be Tyvokka, who really came together and is a really neat/fun bag of tricks.

In Seps it's Nute Gunray. The very moment I read the ability "I Want Destroyer Droids Up Here At Once" I was won over. A close 2nd would be the new Durge.

In Rebels, my favorite is probably the Chewbacca or Luke. I have used Chewbacca in every single Rebel playtesting that I have done. Luke went through a couple different designs before arriving at the Luke we have now. I love running the Rebel Hero squad. It was a favorite of mine while playtesting, and both of these characters are essential in that build.

In Imperials my favorite is probably Starkiller's Clone. Though seeing Imperial Knights in Imps was fun, and one of my games against Darth O where he ran Imp Knights was one of my favorite games of all time.
New Republic, my favorite would be Ben Skywalker. But then again I loved so many of the NR pieces, Cade, the Twins. This was a really fun faction to playtest.

In Mandos my favorite is The Great Shadow Father. Artus Lok really came together as well I liked him a lot.
Fringe is a tough one. Probably the hardest one for me to answer. I really love the Bossk, his Thermal Detonator is a lot of fun. Calo, Boba, and Nico was one of the funnest squads I have ever ran. The Chadra Slicer probably received the most playtests of any piece we created and was really cool. The Nar Shadda Information Agent has a lot of creative stuff going on. Though if I had to name my absolute favorite it's probably Calo Nord.

Anyways, that is mine, and I'm really looking forward to this tournament, seeing what everyone runs, and hearing what everyone's favorites are.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 9:54:55 AM

THEGUNGAN wrote:
Too many rule changes. I am out.

i don't call them rule changes, i call them rule fixes, i mean honestly give me a good reason why lightsaber is not considered a melee attack, and how mouse droids provide cover....
theultrastar
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 10:43:47 AM

Legal Maps for the LEGENDS release event
(I will also add this to the initial post as well)

1. Peaceful City
2. Theed Palace
3. Anchorhead
4. Cantina
5. Jabba's Palace
6. Rancor Pen
7. Asteroid Base
8. Bothan Spynet
9. Commander's Office
10. Grand Plaza
11. Rhen Var Citadel
12. Throne Room
13. Smuggler's Base
14. Asteroid Mining Complex
Amadeus
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 10:55:53 AM

Quick question: You made unlimited range CEs ranged, that rule applies to pieces in the Legends set right? Just need to know if I have to spam some mice in a nute squad to make it work.
theultrastar
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 11:11:56 AM

Good question @Amadeus, that was actually my bad during the process of uploading everything to bloo. It was supposed to read that it had a range of 6. I fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out.
obiwan1knight
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 11:46:21 AM

Did this start yet? Is it too late to join?
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 11:54:47 AM

you sure can. BigGrin
obiwan1knight
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 12:18:06 PM

Great! When does it start?
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 12:30:55 PM

Monday Sept, 15.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 5:18:59 PM

My favorites ( i am not choosing any of mine, but my favorite are nomi Sunrider, Chewbacca, and Darth Sidious

Old Republic: Geneal Farfalla, force bubble is one of my favorite abilities and using it on other's is sweet

Sith: ???

Republic: hands down Shaak ti; acrobatic, momentum, and twin is super reflective of Shaak ti, fun piece that can be good.

Separatists: I actually really like the Darth Maul because of the pawn ability. never played it, but love the idea.

Rebels: Rahm Kota, critical target is awesome

Imperials: Grand Moff tarkin, doctrine of fear, disruptive, display of power = fun

Republic: Ben Skywalker, Stealth, Force pull, and distraction combo is sweet

Mandos: ???

Fringe: Chandra-fan slicer, love Hacker, think most people will love it too./

Deathwielded
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 8:00:57 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
THEGUNGAN wrote:

i don't call them rule changes, i call them rule fixes, i mean honestly give me a good reason why lightsaber is not considered a melee attack, and how mouse droids provide cover....

I'm in complete agreement here. Lightsabers should be Melee and puny little mouse droids aren't stopping a jedi for moving were he pleases. I would say it shouldn't force targeting too.

I'm totally fine with special rules and I totally understand the reasoning behind not allowing certain pieces from the V-sets, Im just curious what made you pick those ones and not others? And are you willing to add others to this list?
Like for example why is Darth Ravan, Sith Lord not included? Or The newer Darth Sidious, Supreme Chancellor or the BHC pieces or Satale Shan?
And nothing from V-set 8?

Deathwielded
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 8:03:28 PM

Count me in.ThumpUp

BTW I will ask lots of questions for this special format.

Like for example what is Soresu Mastery changed back to the way WoTC errata mean? Just non-melee?
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 8:14:31 PM

Deathwielded wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
THEGUNGAN wrote:

I'm in complete agreement here. Lightsabers should be Melee and puny little mouse droids aren't stopping a jedi for moving were he pleases. I would say it shouldn't force targeting too.

I'm totally fine with special rules and I totally understand the reasoning behind not allowing certain pieces from the V-sets, Im just curious what made you pick those ones and not others? And are you willing to add others to this list?
Like for example why is Darth Ravan, Sith Lord not included? Or The newer Darth Sidious, Supreme Chancellor or the BHC pieces or Satale Shan?

I can answer a few of these, we left off v-set pieces we were going to design, such as revan, we made one, sidious, we made one, even if they are in different factions, we wanted to keep it fresh. BHC challenge pieces in our rules set were killing everything lol. Satale actually did make the list originally, but she caused to many problems with farfalla, she was so hard to kill when you could bubble damage she takes, then absorb energy wow... lol. We compiled the list before set 8 was released fully, so sorry there. The way we did it was we all picked 6 pieces from each faction to be kept, except fringe, and then tallied the number of votes each piece received, the 6 with the most votes made the list. We then dropped/added some based on what happened during playtesting. The rule was if a v-set piece and a piece from out set was too good, we dropped the v-set piece first.
We have actually already decided that when a new v-set is released we are going to reevaluate the v-set all stars list and see if we wan to make changes, I am sure we will, as it will keep the game fresher with each v-set. I believe we would be willing to add some to the list, but probably after the tournament as we would not have playtesting with our set to make sure things remain as balanced as they were during our testing.
Deathwielded
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 8:30:29 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Deathwielded wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
THEGUNGAN wrote:

I can answer a few of these, we left off v-set pieces we were going to design, such as revan, we made one, sidious, we made one, even if they are in different factions, we wanted to keep it fresh. BHC challenge pieces in our rules set were killing everything lol. Satale actually did make the list originally, but she caused to many problems with farfalla, she was so hard to kill when you could bubble damage she takes, then absorb energy wow... lol. We compiled the list before set 8 was released fully, so sorry there. The way we did it was we all picked 6 pieces from each faction to be kept, except fringe, and then tallied the number of votes each piece received, the 6 with the most votes made the list. We then dropped/added some based on what happened during playtesting. The rule was if a v-set piece and a piece from out set was too good, we dropped the v-set piece first.
We have actually already decided that when a new v-set is released we are going to reevaluate the v-set all stars list and see if we wan to make changes, I am sure we will, as it will keep the game fresher with each v-set. I believe we would be willing to add some to the list, but probably after the tournament as we would not have playtesting with our set to make sure things remain as balanced as they were during our testing.

Makes sense
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 3:41:09 AM

I've posted before about wanting to see several rule fixes (I agree on the wording there) I'd like to see, and some are in operation here:
- Mouse Droids don't grant cover or block movement
- Tempo Control is disintegrated (yay!)

...but I've never actually played in a game or tournament where that was the case, so I'm excited to see how this goes.

Personally, rather than keeping just 60 V-Set pieces, I'd rather ban the V-Set mistakes (Poggle, Panaka, Daala) or make errata to fix them (Mace loses Flurry, etc), since there are so many really cool pieces there. However, the pieces we've got to work with here (Legends and All-Stars) do seem to be melee-heavy overall, so I'm happy about that. It's going to be a good time, no question. I've already got a few cool squads worked out.
theultrastar
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:14:21 AM

Deathwielded wrote:

Adding on to what deaths_baine said... Darth Revan, Sith Lord is one of our favorite Vset pieces, however if you look at all of the competitive squads, everyone pays around 30 points for their movement breakers. Imps pay 32 for Thrawn, NR pays 29 for Ganner, Rebels 27 for Luke, Seps pay 36 for Sidious, Mandos pay 28 for Kelborn, Republic pays 23 for Panaka, and 9 for R2, for a total of 32.... The Sith pay over 1/4th of their build, 62 points for a Movement Breaker. It's hard to build around that, both squad building wise, and design wise.

We also only wanted to keep one of the 2 big movement breakers for the Sith, either Revan or Caedus. We went with Caedus, because most of us wanted to see a new Reva. Some of us wanted to see an alternate, more competitive priced movement breaker. Then there were those of us who have always associated Revan more with the Jedi than the Sith, after all, an overwhelming majority of his life was spent as a Jedi, yet in standard minis he is the face of the Sith faction.

Anyways, that's the factors that came into not choosing Revan, Sith Lord. If you notice we kept a lot of the low priced Sith pieces from Vset Allstars as opposed to the big beatsticks, to give Sith multiple choices as mid costing support pieces. We also made a Malgus that is highly useful, mid costing support piece. Sith are a very fun faction to run in our version of the game. Sith Emperor provides a well costed movement breaker, and great tech for his squad, he interacts well with a good majority of the pieces at his disposal.

We had to exclude BHC pieces because in a game that favors melee more, they would be king. It was all about finding a good balance with what we kept, and what we wanted to design, and also as deaths_baine said, we didn't want to keep someone, and then also design them in this set.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:22:59 AM

can't wait to see what everyone is building. I will go ahead and say one of my personal favorites is all fringe, calo, boba, nico, marn, and jareal BigGrin
juice man
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 7:00:53 AM

It seems nobody likes the Vong.Confused
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 7:10:21 AM

juice man wrote:

yeah no one in our playgroup really cares for the vong, and the stupid force immunity special ability on EVERY FREAKING PIECE is so lame especially when it includes 4 point pieces that can spit poision, blow up, and are super stealthed, yeah in our set that crap had to go, but feel free to shoot us some ideas for vong, because we really don't have any, if the ideas are right, maybe we can work them into a following set or something.

I do want to make it clear tho, that you can run vong in this tournament, its just only the pieces that wizards made.
theultrastar
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 7:22:02 AM

juice man wrote:

We had 60 spots in the Vset Allstars to work with. 6 for each faction. Had we given 6 to Vong, fringe loses 6, and we all felt like we would rather include 12 fringe as opposed to giving Vong 6, especially when people rarely ever run that faction at any tournament.

Also, none of us followed the Vong story, and have never liked the idea of creatures/beings, being Immune to The Force. I mean that is a focal part of Star Wars. So instead of having people that don't know the characters of the Vong, creating 6 forced pieces, we just decided to leave them out. If in the future we get someone on board with us that knows the Vong characters, we would be more than happy to include Vong.