RegisterDonateLogin

Is in command now.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

LEGENDS Vassal Release EVENT! Options
juice man
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 8:04:10 AM
Groups: Member

WotC didn't do Vong justice. The worst thing they could have done was 10 Damage on attacks. A warrior culture that no self-respecting Ewok would be afraid of. (most people don't like the Vong anyway)
theultrastar
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 2:41:19 PM

Here is a custom for the LEGENDS Vassal Release tournament. Here is Revan. We will be shipping this to someone who finishes in the top 4.

SignerJ
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 4:14:03 PM

That is impressive. Mind my asking how you made it?

EDIT: Also, I won't be able to participate in the tournament this time around. Sorry.
theultrastar
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:49:03 PM

Me and obiwan1knight played a really fun game on Vassal today in prep for the Legends release Tournament. It was strategically satisfying and I had to pull out every positioning trick that I ever learned from David Weeks in that game. I wont get into the game itself, as I don't want to spoil what Obi is considering running or anything, but I will say, The game was so much fun.

I am very excited for this tournament! To everyone that is still a maybe, I hope we can change that to a "Yes" and get you signed up for this event sometime this week or next. It is going to be an absolute blast!
Weeks
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 6:24:15 PM

theultrastar wrote:
Me and obiwan1knight played a really fun game on Vassal today in prep for the Legends release Tournament. It was strategically satisfying and I had to pull out every positioning trick that I ever learned from David Weeks in that game. I wont get into the game itself, as I don't want to spoil what Obi is considering running or anything, but I will say, The game was so much fun.

I am very excited for this tournament! To everyone that is still a maybe, I hope we can change that to a "Yes" and get you signed up for this event sometime this week or next. It is going to be an absolute blast!

What kind of a dumb name is David Weeks?
theultrastar
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 6:27:00 PM

Weeks wrote:
theultrastar wrote:

What kind of a dumb name is David Weeks?

I don't know but the guy use to wipe the floor with me on Vassal, and make some crazy come from behind victories, even when I was sitting on the other side of the computer screen saying "I have you now" due to his excellent positioning. Learned a lot in those games.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 6:42:17 PM

you know what I learned from David Weeks, the lancer is a !@#$ piece of #$%^%$ #$%^%$# @#$%!
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 6:54:53 PM

ATTENTION EVERYONE
...who is participating in this event: I've uploaded a new Vassal Extension file to my 4Shared server. It has all of the Legends minis, as well as the V-Set All-Star minis (with none of the other V-Set pieces). I've made it specifically for this tournament, and everyone should install it before playing your first game. Here are some step-by-step instructions to guide you through the process, which is rather simple and easy to do. It will probably take you less than 5 minutes.

Instructions for installation:
1. Download it from this link (Legends.mdx download from 4Shared), and place it on your Desktop (for ease of finding it later).

2. Open up Vassal, and click the little magnifying glass button to open up the "SWM Skirmish Game" file.

3. Add the "Legends.mdx" file to Vassal. R-click on the "SWM Skirmish Game" file and click "Add Extension." Find the "Legends.mdx" file as you normally would (I suggested placing it on your desktop), and select it.

4. Voila! A new extension file has been added to your SWM mod.

5. Now, for this tournament, you don't need the regular V-Set pieces to be getting in your way, so I suggest that you temporarily deactivate it. (Don't worry, I'll show you how to re-activate it again at the end of these instructions.) R-click on the "Virtual Sets.mdx" file and select "Deactivate."

6. That will gray-out the Virtual Sets file and leave just the Legends file working. This is simpler, since it has just the V-Set All-Star and Legends pieces, and so you won't have to scroll through all the other V-Set pieces each game.

7. Start the "SWM Skirmish Game" mod file by double-clicking (as usual) and the game will load up. Notice that the module information now shows that you have the "Legends.mdx" file active, and the regular "Virtual Sets.mdx" file is not listed.

8. In order to return to your regular full Virtual Sets extension file, just reverse the process. (You will need to close your SWM mod if it is currently running.) R-click on the grayed-out Virtual Sets.mdx file and select "Activate," and R-click on the "Legends.mdx" file and select "Deactivate." I'd suggest not having both files active at once, since that would get confusing.

So there it is! Give it a try...it should be pretty easy if you follow these brief instructions carefully.
obiwan1knight
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 7:58:04 PM

theultrastar wrote:

Yes, it was a lot of fun! I definitely discovered what I need to improve on. These LEGEND pieces are a lot of fun to play.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:21:31 PM

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! wow thanks so much man!
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:23:03 AM

obiwan1knight wrote:
theultrastar wrote:

Yes, it was a lot of fun! I definitely discovered what I need to improve on. These LEGEND pieces are a lot of fun to play.

glad you liked the pieces! LEGENDS was designed to make the game more fun so I am glad to see it working like that for other people.
theultrastar
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:55:58 AM

A very big THANK YOU! to Trevor Payton for doing this for us! On my way to download now. Too freaking cool!
pegolego
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 8:03:46 AM

So, I'll go over my favorite pieces from the set now BigGrin

Old Republic:
Bastila Shan, Jedi General. Stasis is such a cool new mechanic, as is Squad Heal. Very flavorful piece that does Bastila juistice.

Sith:
Darth Malgus, Sith Warrior. A very fun low-cost beat. Should be epic with Sidious, LotDS's CE!

Republic:
The Hero with No Fear, of course! Such a sweet beatstick worthy of the name Skywalker.

Separatists:
There are several great pieces here, almost all of them instantly stand out as something that could be used at the tournament easily and compete.

Rebel:
I would say Luke Skywalker, Jedi Hero is my favorite out of these guys. Very fitting stat block.

Imperial:
The Imperial Knight stuff is great, but Tarkin's flat-out interference and be-a-nuisance playing style is just plain fun.

New Republic:
A tough choice between Cade, Scourge of the One Sith and Han, Galactic Rogue... Cade is the stat block I submitted for the New Republic, and the other guys made some changes to him that ultimately made him a much more fun piece I think. But I think I'll have to go with Han here. The mechanics for him with Chewbacca, GH bodyguarding then getting protective shots until he dies giving a free shot, 'unlocking' Furious Assault for Han... Too cool!

Mandalorians:
Te Ani'la Mandalore, hands down. Darth Bane with Triple/Twin? Yes, PLEASE.

Fringe:
Celeste and Nico are both SUCH great pieces, but Celeste making KotOR comic heroes that much more fun is great!
theultrastar
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:20:01 AM

pegolego wrote:

Mandalorians:
Te Ani'la Mandalore, hands down. Darth Bane with Triple/Twin? Yes, PLEASE.

I'm glad you brought this combo up man. We thought the better combo is Malgus instead of Bane which is actually Thematic, as both were an instrument of the Sith Emperor, plus it frees up 30 points for support pieces like a Chadra Fan Slicer, etc. We put in place a lot of counters for this, like Disruptive, solid bodyguards, and Distraction.

We have always liked the Sith/Mando duel faction, and we wanted to see a playable version of it.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:49:19 AM

Am I the only one who does research anymore!? The ultimate allows only followers. So while the idea was fun... its literally impossible.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:10:33 PM

pegolego wrote:

Fringe:
Celeste and Nico are both SUCH great pieces, but Celeste making KotOR comic heroes that much more fun is great!

I actually think Celeste was very underwheling from my standpoint. 10 dmg? what? she didn't poke people with a spear like an ewok. She had a lightsaber. She should have had a base 20 dmg. I really doubt she'd kill much force users with her damage output. I like how she makes Zayne Carrik better, but thats about it. Relic Hunter I fear will never be used.

Nico looks pretty useful though, so I'd count that as one of my favorites also.
theultrastar
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:34:12 PM

Mando wrote:
pegolego wrote:

Fringe:

I actually think Celeste was very underwheling from my standpoint. 10 dmg? what? she didn't poke people with a spear like an ewok. She had a lightsaber. She should have had a base 20 dmg. I really doubt she'd kill much force users with her damage output. I like how she makes Zayne Carrik better, but thats about it. Relic Hunter I fear will never be used.

Celeste has a base damage of 10 much like Mara Jedi. She didn't exactly poke people with a spear either, but was an amazing nuke piece. Celeste wasn't meant to be a game changing piece. Nor should she be. She was meant to be fun, and Relic Hunter was used often during playtests. She was pretty great in our tests with her.

Like I said though, she is not meant to be a power house by any means. If you steal the right SA or FP she can be pretty brutal. She has Double, so kill someone with twin, and now she has Double/Twin. She has advantageous, so at 36 points that is pretty great.

In our tests, we would have someone else get the enemy's hp's down, and then try to finish the job with Celeste to use Relic Hunter.
theultrastar
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:58:07 PM

Use her to finish off someone who has Sith Sorcery, and now she is a 36 point piece using Sorcery to activate your opponent. She can take stuff like Unleash The Force from Anakin Solo. She can steal Disruptive from like Kyle Battlemaster, or Distraction. She could kill Ganner or Luke Reb Commando and steal Levitation, all of a sudden you have a movement breaker in your squad. There are so many great uses for this piece. Like I said in my previous post we had a lot of fun playtesting her, and had a lot of success with her Relic Hunter ability.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 3:26:24 PM

theultrastar wrote:
Mando wrote:
pegolego wrote:

Fringe:

Celeste has a base damage of 10 much like Mara Jedi. She didn't exactly poke people with a spear either, but was an amazing nuke piece. Celeste wasn't meant to be a game changing piece. Nor should she be. She was meant to be fun, and Relic Hunter was used often during playtests. She was pretty great in our tests with her.

Like I said though, she is not meant to be a power house by any means. If you steal the right SA or FP she can be pretty brutal. She has Double, so kill someone with twin, and now she has Double/Twin. She has advantageous, so at 36 points that is pretty great.

In our tests, we would have someone else get the enemy's hp's down, and then try to finish the job with Celeste to use Relic Hunter.

Mara Jade had the ability Lightsaber, that equated her having a base 20 dmg when she went melee. The 10 dmg on her base stats was for her blaster. I just think for 36pts she's a huge target and anyone playing smart will tkae her out and collect the easy 36pts before she even comes close to taking someone out like Kyle Katarn. I understand that she is a for fun piece, and not a power piece, but still even fun pieces should follow a logical design. It just kinda irks me to see a jedi have 10 base damage.
theultrastar
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:19:00 PM

In the end there were so many possible combos someone could come up with, with relic hunter. So to be safe we went with 10 base damage. Yes Mara has Lightsaber, but Celeste can have it too. She is also a fringe piece that can be boosted by many commanders.

"She was secretive and unorthodox, taking pains to avoid dressing as a Jedi, and she rarely used her lightsaber in public."

To me I never thought of her as a powerful, skilled lightsaber fighter. If she gets a 20 base damage she's a lot more difficult to manage, once you start taking all the relic hunter combos into account. The most important thing was making her fun. Which during playtests, she was.