Charming to the last.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

LEGENDS Vassal Release EVENT! Options
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:53:46 AM
Groups: Member

Mando wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
I also think that tint was not running an optimized rebel squad. in my opinion the best rebel squad in legends is:

legends luke
legends chewie
han smuggler
ferus olin
princess leia
reikan
lobot
2 mice
ugh

I think anything Trevor runs is optimized for competitive play. He is a gencon champ after all and is the best player I've ever gone against.

That would be true in standard minis, but he is just learning this set, as are a lot of people. It wasn't the most optimized Rebel build. On top of that though, it was just a bad match up. Much like in the DoTF days whenever Rebels ran up against Bastilla's OR shutting down all of their CE's.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:20:55 AM

I haven't played a rebel squad in years, but I saw the new Luke and thought he was cool, so I built around him. I didn't realize that Han would gain nothing from being a pilot, or else I would not have taken Lando. Dropping Lando for Chewie would've made for a solid squad, just as good as the one listed above. So yeah, part of the problem was certainly the sub-optimal squad that I brought.

But even with all that being said, I think that Nico has too much going on. Tow Cable + Cloaking for the towed piece is insane...plus his other factors, such as Accurate and Gambler's Luck. Especially with the majority of the powerful V-Set pieces not being part of the game, I think he's too much. Will he die to certain things? No question. But Daala loses to Yobuck every time too...that doesn't mean she was good for the game, or even balanced.

And I also agree that the new Czerka is too powerful. If I had playtested her I would've said, "Choose to have her give Blast Cannon or else Shields 1, but not both." In a game where Range 6 has become even more important than ever (since all CEs are now Range 6), Blast Cannon has a whole lot more power than it does in the standard game. Just giving Shields 1 to allies within 6 is tremendous...that's a HUGE bargain for just 17pts. But a damage boost on top of that....
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:27:48 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
I haven't played a rebel squad in years, but I saw the new Luke and thought he was cool, so I built around him. I didn't realize that Han would gain nothing from being a pilot, or else I would not have taken Lando. Dropping Lando for Chewie would've made for a solid squad, just as good as the one listed above. So yeah, part of the problem was certainly the sub-optimal squad that I brought.

But even with all that being said, I think that Nico has too much going on. Tow Cable + Cloaking for the towed piece is insane...plus his other factors, such as Accurate and Gambler's Luck. Especially with the majority of the powerful V-Set pieces not being part of the game, I think he's too much. Will he die to certain things? No question. But Daala loses to Yobuck every time too...that doesn't mean she was good for the game, or even balanced.

And I also agree that the new Czerka is too powerful. If I had playtested her I would've said, "Choose to have her give Blast Cannon or else Shields 1, but not both." In a game where Range 6 has become even more important than ever (since all CEs are now Range 6), Blast Cannon has a whole lot more power than it does in the standard game. Just giving Shields 1 to allies within 6 is tremendous...that's a HUGE bargain for just 17pts. But a damage boost on top of that....

I agree with the czerka as I said earlier I believe it is the main issue. there are just to many things that can kill nico rather easily for me to believe he is a big problem for the game. mara jade jedi comes to mind as well as the other counters previously listed.

I think that after the tournament the czerka can easily be changed and should go a long way to fixing this issue. I would drop the shields altogether and just leave it giving out only blast cannon.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:01:13 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
I think that after the tournament the czerka can easily be changed and should go a long way to fixing this issue. I would drop the shields altogether and just leave it giving out only blast cannon.
Yeah, I think that would solve it. Let her keep her own Shields 1 though...I don't think that was a problem.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 10:53:59 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
Yeah, I think that would solve it. Let her keep her own Shields 1 though...I don't think that was a problem.

sounds good, what if the armor bonus is +2 def instead of shields within 3 squares? and drop blast cannon for +2 atk within 3 squares? change her completely and drop the damage bonus as well...
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:22:14 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

sounds good, what if the armor bonus is +2 def instead of shields within 3 squares? and drop blast cannon for +2 atk within 3 squares? change her completely and drop the damage bonus as well...

If all she gave was a +2def/+2att she'd be worthless for 17pts. No way would i put her in a squad at the high a cost. How about instead of Shields 1, instead grant Damage Reduction 10 or maybe Flak Shield. That way lightsabers are still really effective, but it helps against shooters.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:40:57 AM

Mando wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

If all she gave was a +2def/+2att she'd be worthless for 17pts. No way would i put her in a squad at the high a cost. How about instead of Shields 1, instead grant Damage Reduction 10 or maybe Flak Shield. That way lightsabers are still really effective, but it helps against shooters.

flak shield is a cool idea, but i think that i would rather just drop the damage reducing effect off her completely. so as of right now we are looking it her just granting blast cannon after the tournament.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:06:18 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Mando wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

flak shield is a cool idea, but i think that i would rather just drop the damage reducing effect off her completely. so as of right now we are looking it her just granting blast cannon after the tournament.

I think she needs to have something more than just handing out Blast Cannon. 17pts for just that is kinda lame, especially since you have to be within 6 to use it effectively. If a change was going to be made, I think if it was damage Reduction 10 instead of sheilds 1, it would make it so its win/win for jedi squads going up against fringe squads with the Elite Czerka Technician since they would bypass the Damage Reduction with their lightsabers, and the fringe would be able to attack them back with more damage. I think the Jedi would be able to kill the fringe enemies quite easily if they didn't need to worry about shields 1. And we have so many pieces out there that have Penetration 10 and it never ever gets used. Bout time we changed that. You could even make a few pieces in the next custom set that were shooters but had Penetration 10 to bypass the damage reduction. I don't think 17pts for a limited damage boost is good at all considering she can't do anything other than be a huge target and not fight effectively at all. I suggest you playtest her more carefully next time and not jump to immediately taking something off and calling it good, cause it will result in no one playing her at all.

Remeber, you guys made it so we can't play Talon Karrde, so all we got is Captain Nico and this Technician to help the fringe squads. Talon is much better than both Captain Nico and the Elite Czerka Tech combined cause he gives a rangeless damage boost, disruptive, a movement breaker and protection against force users. He costs 32pts. The Elite Czerka Tech + Nico is 53pts. If Talon has proven that even at his cost it didn't break the game, i don't think the Elite Czerka Tech and captain Nico will either. I don't want to see people jump to conclusions without playtesting changes or overreacting to a well thought out squad that, lets face it, WotC would never have made possible as a all fringe squad was hardly top tier. I think you guys did a good job giving some power pieces to the Fringe, cause they needed it, but I think just cause one play report against a bad matchup proves the Elite Czerka and Nico combo is good, really doesn't shout out to me that the pieces need to be errata'd. You guys said you did lots of playtesting with these peices before, so I would have thought that spryguy1981 and Dr Daman (both of whom are excellent playtesters) would have saw this combo and not thought it a problem in the competitve scene.
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:37:48 PM

Mando wrote:

Remeber, you guys made it so we can't play Talon Karrde, so all we got is Captain Nico and this Technician to help the fringe squads. Talon is much better than both Captain Nico and the Elite Czerka Tech combined cause he gives a rangeless damage boost, disruptive, a movement breaker and protection against force users. He costs 32pts. The Elite Czerka Tech + Nico is 53pts. If Talon has proven that even at his cost it didn't break the game, i don't think the Elite Czerka Tech and captain Nico will either. I don't want to see people jump to conclusions without playtesting changes or overreacting to a well thought out squad that, lets face it, WotC would never have made possible as a all fringe squad was hardly top tier. I think you guys did a good job giving some power pieces to the Fringe, cause they needed it, but I think just cause one play report against a bad matchup proves the Elite Czerka and Nico combo is good, really doesn't shout out to me that the pieces need to be errata'd. You guys said you did lots of playtesting with these peices before, so I would have thought that spryguy1981 and Dr Daman (both of whom are excellent playtesters) would have saw this combo and not thought it a problem in the competitve scene.

This is where I am at as well. Good post.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:55:33 PM

Mando wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
Mando wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

I think she needs to have something more than just handing out Blast Cannon. 17pts for just that is kinda lame, especially since you have to be within 6 to use it effectively. If a change was going to be made, I think if it was damage Reduction 10 instead of sheilds 1, it would make it so its win/win for jedi squads going up against fringe squads with the Elite Czerka Technician since they would bypass the Damage Reduction with their lightsabers, and the fringe would be able to attack them back with more damage. I think the Jedi would be able to kill the fringe enemies quite easily if they didn't need to worry about shields 1. And we have so many pieces out there that have Penetration 10 and it never ever gets used. Bout time we changed that. You could even make a few pieces in the next custom set that were shooters but had Penetration 10 to bypass the damage reduction. I don't think 17pts for a limited damage boost is good at all considering she can't do anything other than be a huge target and not fight effectively at all. I suggest you playtest her more carefully next time and not jump to immediately taking something off and calling it good, cause it will result in no one playing her at all.

i agree sorry if my posts were confusing, i was talking from the angle that if the all fringe squad continues to dominate perspective what our route would be to change the czerka. like i said earlier i felt there were enough counters to it to begin with, but while we talking about it and it was on our minds i wanted a fall back in case it did indeed prove to good.
scruffyhan
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:29:46 PM

I had a chaotic battle with obiwan1knight. He ran Sith same squad from round 1 I believe. I tried out the Old Republic seeing as they have not been touched thus far in the tournament. I can see why now. I had my ass (or arse) (censors and all) promptly handed to me. I told everyone watching that I expected them to promptly return to the boards and tell the world that Sith was too strong and that I was wronged. Obiwan1knight you ran a good race and you earned every pit of the 2 points awarded to you. Look out losers bracket I'm on my way there and I promise you, I will not be running OR next round so look out gentlemen!
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:20:53 PM

If I ran OR this is what I would run

Master Thon 64
Nomi Sunrider 50
General Farfalla 29
Cay Qel-Droma 28
Atton Rand 26

Ya baby
put Farfalla on Thon's back to force bubble attacks
Charge in with Thon to twin attack for 50
Cay Qel Droma can lightsaber assault and than at the end of Nomi's turn, lightsaber assault again, woot! begging you to kill him, haha!

Atton Ran can open a door and has jedi hunter cunning attack +20, so could do 80 to force user.
force pull someone to nomi to make them target her (she can LD or have Farfalla bubble)

or repulse from 4 squares, bubble some of your own damage, force pull over and attack have Cay lightsaber assault, than take his turn and LA again, haha. 140 damage maybe (40 + 20 + 40 + 40)

5 person pimp squad
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 1:55:54 PM

Just back from the pleasant trip to meet up with theUltraStar. We played two games (the first for Round 2 of the Legends release tourney, the 2nd just for fun because that one was over so quickly; which I'll get to in a moment).

I ran Imperial Knights:

Roan Fel, TTE
Anteres Draco (Legends)
Mohrgan Fel (Legends, of course)
Thrawn (Mit'hraw'nuruodo or whatever)
Imperial Knight STL
Momaw Nadon
R7
Mouse
Uggie.

UltraStar ran Imperials as well, but his squad consisted of Thrawn, the mighty Lord Vader, TN Tarkin, and Starkiller's Clone, with some filler.

Round 1, movement towards the center of the map (I won the roll and selected Rhen Var). I won init, he went first.

Round 2, I believe I won init again, he went first. We moved towards the middle, and I had an opportunity to use Momaw to kill a mouse or two, but didn't take it. End of the round, Starkiller moves in after being swapped by Thrawn, Repulse hurts everyone but my fodder and Anteres (who was coming around the other way), then a Lightning kills Thrawn.

Round 3, he goes first again, Lightning kills Mohrgan, I think Roan was already dead at this point. Lord Vader comes in and cleans up everything else with relative ease.

The 2nd game was much more interesting honestly lol. I ran the TN Durge and Maul with Sidious and Grievous (HoH), he brought Boba, Calo, Czerka (TN and KotOR), Nico, Dr. Evazan (V-set) and fodder. I ended up winning, due largely to rolls (a timely critical, he failed all his Shields/Beskar saves). Too bad this one didn't count for the tourney lol.

Had fun, and I'm looking forward to round 3!
obiwan1knight
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:50:40 PM

scruffyhan wrote:
I had a chaotic battle with obiwan1knight. He ran Sith same squad from round 1 I believe. I tried out the Old Republic seeing as they have not been touched thus far in the tournament. I can see why now. I had my ass (or arse) (censors and all) promptly handed to me. I told everyone watching that I expected them to promptly return to the boards and tell the world that Sith was too strong and that I was wronged. Obiwan1knight you ran a good race and you earned every pit of the 2 points awarded to you. Look out losers bracket I'm on my way there and I promise you, I will not be running OR next round so look out gentlemen!

I'm definitely going to be running a different squad next time (although I will greatly miss this sith squad) If only because whoever I am matched with will probably run a hate squad.

I honestly thought you were going to cream me, because in my last game General Grievous HoH singlehandedly brought down Bane, and you had Revan and Bastilla with GMA....
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:00:55 PM

all fringe does not need a melee piece with the shield tech they can act like melee since they can absorb some damage. The scientist is in there to grant jolt, which can be pretty awesome in that all fringe squad since the bodyguard can actually keep it alive to grant it. also, evazan gets twin from it.
Deathwielded
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 7:20:03 PM

theultrastar wrote:
Ok round 1 is in the books! We had 3 players get 3pt wins in the first round, congrats to Shmi15, Spryguy, and ThereIsNoTry

Since the 1st round is all wrapped up, I will go ahead and announce the 2nd round so that everyone can go ahead and start planning their game for the next round...

2nd round! (FIGHT!)

spryguy1981 vs thereisnotry
shmi15 vs deaths_baine
pegolego vs theultrastar
scruffyhan vs obiwan1knight
amadeus vs general_grief
Dr Daman vs Mando
Darth O vs Darth Rattlehead
dieandbemetal vs deathwielded

There you go guys! Round 1 was a blast! Cannot wait to see what everyone runs in round 2!

EDIT: I omitted the dieandbemetal vs deathwielded game when I posted the original pairings, thank you pegolego for pointing that out.

I haven't be able to contact dieandbemetal. I have sent 2 bloomails so far, anyone know an alternate way to contact him? At this point We probably won't get a chance to play until monday since the next 2 days I'm working double shifts
Amadeus
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 7:28:59 PM

I am in a similar situation with General_grief. He said he'd be free on Wednesday in a message sent tuesday, but hasn't been online on bloomilk since. I'd really love to get my game in, so if anyone knows how to contact him let me know.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 5:31:11 AM

Amadeus wrote:
I am in a similar situation with General_grief. He said he'd be free on Wednesday in a message sent tuesday, but hasn't been online on bloomilk since. I'd really love to get my game in, so if anyone knows how to contact him let me know.

I work with him, and he said that he is super busy but wants to get his game in today. let me know that works for you and I will contact him for you. I sent him a message telling him to get on bloo and work something out with you.
Amadeus
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 7:09:14 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Amadeus wrote:

I work with him, and he said that he is super busy but wants to get his game in today. let me know that works for you and I will contact him for you. I sent him a message telling him to get on bloo and work something out with you.

I have nothing explicitly planned today so anytime works today, just need to know when. Likely doing star wars minis with my playgroup but I have all the minis so I can set the time for that to work around general_griefs schedule.

Thanks!
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 7:35:27 AM

Need to give Bossk rival for wookiees

mandolorian weaponsmith... someone gt rid of the advanced ammunition ability.
making this character not worth anything.
also making this character not a weaponsmith.

anyway I suggest added the ability
advanced ammunition: replaces turn, can give adjacent character penetration 10