RegisterDonateLogin

Bloo Milk? Bloo Milk! I like the sound of that.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Renegades and Rogues (contains spoilers for V-set 2. Full set list now up) Options
komix
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:35:53 AM
Groups: Member

billiv15 wrote:
komix wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Azman wrote:
RM for Rom Mohb ... medium commander or Large Dark Phase trooper ????

Neither, he has to be large, but can't obviously be a Dark Trooper without customizing. His RM is Durge from CS :)

Oh come on! We have Dark Trooper Phaze III why not him? For me, it would have been the first choice. Just repaint it the way you want, they are cheap and easy to find, and use other Phaze III DT :P

Plz change it to DT P3 .:)

Any spoilers about Mohc's SA, or CE?
Give us something:P

Remember the rules for a RM. It has to be something that you aren't likely to play with the existing in faction minis. For Rohm, I bet you can guess he has a CE for Dark Troopers. So in order to create a RM for those that don't want to customize, it cannot be a DT of any kind, since those would be the most likely minis played with him. Now, for those that customize, by all means, go repaint a DT. That's what I did and it looks great. We just can't make that a requirement for the RM because some people don't want to even repaint a mini, and we can't force them to do so. But it is a very easy custom.

Whoa you don't make any sense here billv15. Remember Rukh or Darth Bandon? The figures (well at least in second option) were exact presentation of the characters, and makers did use them. Why not do it again with the Mohc?
We have a figure who/which looks the same as Mohc in his armor so why not use him?
For those who fear or don't want to paint or customise the mini- no problem, don't do it, just place a piece of paper on it so that You and your contestor knew that your using v-set mini. Problem solved:)

For me it is just a waste- in my country getting CS Durge is nearly impossible (as much as I would like to get him nevertheless).

Cheers!
wannabe mexican
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:52:15 AM

komix wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
komix wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Azman wrote:
RM for Rom Mohb ... medium commander or Large Dark Phase trooper ????

Neither, he has to be large, but can't obviously be a Dark Trooper without customizing. His RM is Durge from CS :)

Oh come on! We have Dark Trooper Phaze III why not him? For me, it would have been the first choice. Just repaint it the way you want, they are cheap and easy to find, and use other Phaze III DT :P

Plz change it to DT P3 .:)

Any spoilers about Mohc's SA, or CE?
Give us something:P

Remember the rules for a RM. It has to be something that you aren't likely to play with the existing in faction minis. For Rohm, I bet you can guess he has a CE for Dark Troopers. So in order to create a RM for those that don't want to customize, it cannot be a DT of any kind, since those would be the most likely minis played with him. Now, for those that customize, by all means, go repaint a DT. That's what I did and it looks great. We just can't make that a requirement for the RM because some people don't want to even repaint a mini, and we can't force them to do so. But it is a very easy custom.

Whoa you don't make any sense here billv15. Remember Rukh or Darth Bandon? The figures (well at least in second option) were exact presentation of the characters, and makers did use them. Why not do it again with the Mohc?
We have a figure who/which looks the same as Mohc in his armor so why not use him?
For those who fear or don't want to paint or customise the mini- no problem, don't do it, just place a piece of paper on it so that You and your contestor knew that your using v-set mini. Problem solved:)

For me it is just a waste- in my country getting CS Durge is nearly impossible (as much as I would like to get him nevertheless).

Cheers!

The difference here is that you are not guaranteed to play Darth Bandon with the Sith Apprentice. There are many other squads to be made in that faction using Darth Bandon. Same with Rukh. There are plentiful options with him and he does nothing for other Noghri.

Literally the only reason to play Rom Mohc will be to boost Dark Troopers and all that lot. So you are gonna have to use a mini for him that is different from them. If you find a use for him outside of boosting Dark and Phase Troopers, and can use him on his own, then by all means use a Dark Trooper to represent him. But generally speaking you will be using him with them and so he needs to be different.
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:09:25 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I would've prefered it to be the the Phase III as well. And that is what I will be using.
Azman
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:29:57 AM

Thats the beauty of the V set... we can all use what ever we want...

a repainted Phase III
a CS Durge
a Fully cusomised figure (I think ill go down this path...Crimson Dynamo !!!!)

I love it !!!
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:42:05 AM

komix wrote:

Cheers!

Incorrect, I am making complete sense, you just don't agree because you've conflated my opinion with that of other designers. I didn't choose Bandon or Ruhk's RMs. I supported the choice of another set of designers. Please keep that clear. In those two cases, I recognized that Ruhk, would almost never be played with other Noghris, and Bandon would seldom be played with the Sith Apprentice. Bandon and the SA would be the most commonly played, but then it was up to the player as to how to differentiate it.

The other difference, is that in those two cases, the NU was actually a model of the Unique figure. In this case, the Dark Troopers are armored figures, they were never intended to be a NU version of Rohm. The SA was most certainly a NU version of Bandon.

So while you might not agree, that doesn't mean I'm not making sense. I'm making complete sense in what I told you already. The concern for Mohc, which didn't apply in the same degree to Ruhk or Bandon, is that he has CEs for Dark Troopers. You will play him with other DTs. He had to have another mini for the RM (remember, RM means "RECOMMENDED MINI"), so that those who want to play him without customizing can do so with something they might have. For anyone who also falls into that camp, and doesn't have a Durge, geez, how freakin hard is it to find another large based mini to use.

BTW - sticking a piece of tape/clay/sticker, etc on a mini to denote that it's a V-set figure, is considered customizing. You are welcome to do anything like that, as long as its clear to your opponent and your Judge. I don't know how many times we have to reiterate and reexplain this simple concept. RM means "RECOMMENDED". Its there for specific people, not for everyone. If you choose to do something different, more freakin power to ya. I did as well, I repainted a DT dark blue and silver. But geez people, give us a break on this crap already. The RM is there for people who don't want to customize, if that doesn't apply to you, why the heck are you complaining about the choice????? I seriously don't understand.
juice man
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:32:04 AM

billiv15 wrote:

I don't know how many times we have to reiterate and reexplain this simple concept. RM means "RECOMMENDED". Its there for specific people, not for everyone. If you choose to do something different, more power to ya. But people, give us a break already. The RM is there for people who don't want to customize, I seriously don't understand.

I, too, was amazed at the arguments over the RM in DotF.
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:41:05 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

billiv15 wrote:
The other difference, is that in those two cases, the NU was actually a model of the Unique figure. In this case, the Dark Troopers are armored figures, they were never intended to be a NU version of Rohm. The SA was most certainly a NU version of Bandon.

[cough]There was only one Phase III armor used, by Mohc. So the Phase III was essentially taking the Unique seen in Dark Forces and making it into a non-unique. Trust me, it was argued about.[/cough]

But then again, it's the Dark Forces Saga to me, not the Jedi Knight saga.
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:49:24 AM

Sithborg wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

[cough]There was only one Phase III armor used, by Mohc. So the Phase III was essentially taking the Unique seen in Dark Forces and making it into a non-unique. Trust me, it was argued about.[/cough]

But then again, it's the Dark Forces Saga to me, not the Jedi Knight saga.

I don't dispute this. But it was more like a prototype, and others did exist elsewhere, even if the project was more or less lost when Kyle beat Rohm. Tyber Zann had one. So in a sense, you are correct, but it still isn't the same as Bandon. The SA is Bandon. The Phase 3 could be Rohm, or it could be one of the other armors :). I think personally WotC made a mistake by making the Phase 3 an NU, but that's still different from taking an exact picture of a particular sith lord, and making an NU out of him :)

And as I already stated, the much bigger point for me personally is setting up an RM that a non-customizer can use. In the case of Bandon, using SAs is possible, but with Rohm, using other DTs is going to happen almost everytime he's played. That to me is the overriding issue here with the RM. We want it to be clear to anyone. Durge is actually a darn good suggestion, we were quite lost on this one until someone came up with the idea (can't remember who at the moment).

But seriously, like Darth Bandon, this is one of the easiest repaints in RaR. For ultimately simplicity, take some black paint, and repaint the outer skeleton. Anyone can do this if they want to.
komix
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 5:18:24 PM

billiv15 wrote:
I didn't choose Bandon or Ruhk's RMs. I supported the choice of another set of designers. Please keep that clear.

Ok well I can't track who was in designers team, but I know that You are now, so that's why I spoke to You directly, but You know I meant the whole design team. Sorry if that offended You.

billiv15 wrote:

In those two cases, I recognized that Ruhk, would almost never be played with other Noghris, and Bandon would seldom be played with the Sith Apprentice. Bandon and the SA would be the most commonly played, but then it was up to the player as to how to differentiate it.

I don't see why Rukh couldn't be played in a squad with noghri commando. But it's just me, right? I mean i like them and I use them quite often.

billiv15 wrote:

Maybe the first two phazes, but phaze 3 certainly was. Rembember that in the same set (Universe) came Kyle Katarn, so I guess they knew what was the source material. For me DTP3 was certainly a NU version of Mohc.

billiv15 wrote:

So while you might not agree, that doesn't mean I'm not making sense. I'm making complete sense in what I told you already. The concern for Mohc, which didn't apply in the same degree to Ruhk or Bandon, is that he has CEs for Dark Troopers. You will play him with other DTs.

Ok, You got me there. I don't know what Mohc's cost is but it most likely be a costly combo. DTP3 is a 25 point figure, well if you're playing Imps then you surely will use Mas and either Thrawn. Unless he has a CE which states that all dark troopers loose droid (OMG I would love that) and give them some bonus to attack or def, then I think that player using Mohc will be playing only 1 or 2 dt's with various phazes.
In contradiction, Darth Bandon also has CE, which doesn't stop us to play with SA. I just wrote that for the sake of the argument.
billiv15 wrote:

He had to have another mini for the RM (remember, RM means "RECOMMENDED MINI"), so that those who want to play him without customizing can do so with something they might have. For anyone who also falls into that camp, and doesn't have a Durge, geez, how freakin hard is it to find another large based mini to use.

Come on! I know that RM means recommended mini! Geez well it is hard if the only large base mini you have is a bacta tank, sandtrooper on dewback or DT phaze 3. :)

billiv15 wrote:

BTW - sticking a piece of tape/clay/sticker, etc on a mini to denote that it's a V-set figure, is considered customizing. You are welcome to do anything like that, as long as its clear to your opponent and your Judge. I don't know how many times we have to reiterate and reexplain this simple concept. RM means "RECOMMENDED". Its there for specific people, not for everyone. If you choose to do something different, more freakin power to ya. I did as well, I repainted a DT dark blue and silver. But geez people, give us a break on this crap already. The RM is there for people who don't want to customize, if that doesn't apply to you, why the heck are you complaining about the choice????? I seriously don't understand.

As I stated before I know what RM stands for. So plz don't treat me like a retard.
I only started this discussion because for Mohc the obvious choice was Dark Trooper phaze 3. That's all. I don't know what the fuss is all about.
I didn't know that placing a paper on a mini is considered customizing. I thought about it as a way for plp who don't want painting and other stuff and just want to use the character v-set RM with the normal RM in their squad just to differentiate the minis to players and judges.

Big supporter of V-set's, so plz keep the spoilers comming!ThumpUp

Once again, I hope I haven't offended anyone.
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:35:42 PM

Sorry Komix - don't take my mostly tongue-in-cheek comments as if I was offended, certainly was not - good discussion.

Maybe this will help:)

CE
Droids are subject to this effect. Allies whose names contain Dark Trooper get +4 attack and gain Advanced Shields 2.
Ruhk
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:39:22 PM

The DT3 was the initial RM for Rohm, but it was pointed out that his design would lead you to perhaps want to include a DT3 in your squad. So the simplest solution would be to have another piece stand in for him. Durge fit the bill well enough was decided to be made the RM.

When I play Rohm, I will probably use a DT3 that has been marked in some manner.
cicrush13
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:47:47 PM

Just between these 2 new figures (Mohc and Wier) I want to play Imps really badly now!
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 12:09:53 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

billiv15 wrote:
Maybe this will help :)
CE
Droids are subject to this effect. Allies whose names contain Dark Trooper get +4 attack and gain Advanced Shields 2.

I'd say that helps by a good bit. And, another Yammosk-proof CE. ThumpUp
Roland Alistair
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 1:58:07 AM

Question: Will this include the Dark Trooper that is from the Battlefront 2 game that has Flight and Heavy Weapon?
billiv15
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 2:14:47 AM

Roland Alistair wrote:
Question: Will this include the Dark Trooper that is from the Battlefront 2 game that has Flight and Heavy Weapon?

Yes. Read the "name contains" rules if you need additional clarity.

I forgot to add yesterday, there is one critical piece of the Phase III that shows it wasn't intended to be Rohm (even if we all generally agree that it should/could have been). The NU has droid. Rohm was a human wearing phase III prototype armor, perhaps as much of a cyborg as Vader, but the SA "Droid" pretty well demonstrates they didn't intend it to be Rohm in the suit, but the actual Phase III production or prototype model.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 3:01:48 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

billiv15 wrote:
Roland Alistair wrote:

Funny, I was looking at the DTs in Minimanager, which has the name of the TFU piece as "Darktrooper", but Bloo has it as "Dark Trooper".

I didn't have time to check an actual card, so I'm assuming the error is in Minimanager.
Never noticed that before.
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 5:29:32 AM

swinefeld wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Roland Alistair wrote:

Funny, I was looking at the DTs in Minimanager, which has the name of the TFU piece as "Darktrooper", but Bloo has it as "Dark Trooper".

I didn't have time to check an actual card, so I'm assuming the error is in Minimanager.
Never noticed that before.

Yes, this error was addressed during playtesting. It is an error with MM, the card reads "Dark Trooper"
Boris
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 6:01:21 AM

Regarding Rukh/Bandon... we chose those as the recommended models (we being the design team) because they were the correct fit model-wise for what those characters were. In hindsight, I think the 3 of us on the original design team agreed we could have done a much better job on the RMs but we were in uncharted territory and it was just one of the growing pains the project had to go through. The second set has really benefitted from the learning mistakes of the first set, that's for sure. And I am confident set 3 will be even better than sets 1 and 2 were in terms of design decisions.

None of that is to say I'm not proud, or even less proud, of the first V-Set. Even pieces like Atris still make me smile. :)
dreadtech
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 10:46:54 AM

Boris wrote:
Regarding Rukh/Bandon... we chose those as the recommended models (we being the design team) because they were the correct fit model-wise for what those characters were. In hindsight, I think the 3 of us on the original design team agreed we could have done a much better job on the RMs but we were in uncharted territory and it was just one of the growing pains the project had to go through. The second set has really benefitted from the learning mistakes of the first set, that's for sure. And I am confident set 3 will be even better than sets 1 and 2 were in terms of design decisions.

None of that is to say I'm not proud, or even less proud, of the first V-Set. Even pieces like Atris still make me smile. :)

I think all 3 of you should be proud of set 1, sure not every character chosen was to my liking but I think everyone would say the same and the ones not liked will change from member to member (but is this any differant from the WOTC's set ? not really), but on a hole I think the first set was a fantastic set.
Deus Sol
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:52:54 AM

Wot!??! We won't need Mas to play Mokh?!? ThumbsUp