RegisterDonateLogin

With extended sensor.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Renegades and Rogues (contains spoilers for V-set 2. Full set list now up) Options
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 4:40:56 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Laugh Another fearless Uggie saves the day!

Hmm, keeping with the humor, Keldor swarms and Poggle bombs should work well vs Mace. Razz
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 5:46:52 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Yoto_Yoto wrote:
This Mace has more hit points, a better defense, better defensive powers, and more average damage output (spending 0 force points) than Lord Vader (spending 2 force points). He's also a shade cheaper.

That's before you take any consideration of having twice as many force points as Lord Vader. He's noticeably better than a very competitive piece that is more expensive than he is. He's too powerful at this cost, it would be nice to have a BMF Mace, but he should be looking at more like 75 points.

That is no where near a fair comparison. Mace's Damage output is highly dependent on rolls. Yes, Mace doesn't need FPs to deal his damage, but that doesn't take away from Vader's output. Not to mention that Dark Armor does boost Vader's HP, and since it is free, will prevent more damage than Reflect, usually. And really, having twice as many HPs isn't a huge deal, as most of his Force Powers cost twice as much to use as Vader's. If he has Shatterpoint and Vaapad Mastery, then I might worry. His major damage output is highly dependent on rolling a 17 or higher. So 20% chance of doing more than 60. Yes, pretty good. About as reliable as Kazden.

But he has some great weaknesses. Reflect with MOTF 2 is nice, but not nearly as good as with MOTF 3, with a vast amount of Force Points. Shooters will still tear him up at range. There are a few figs that Vaapad becomes worthless against, one of them a very, very powerful shooter vs Jedi. And the less said about how he fairs vs Vong the better.
markedman247
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 5:53:06 AM
Groups: Member

Yeah, I know some of the play test stories. When he was announced I was wondering if one of the abilities made the cut. I am glad to see, even with GMA and triple, he's still not as scary as he once was envisioned.

Now, my next worry, the generic Jedi Wookiee that I have also heard tales about on play test.
juice man
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 6:03:02 AM

jlbm347 wrote:

I am looking forward to seeing how he is played and I hope that my fear of him dominating the board (with access to board wide swap, can move 8 and triple attack, is a follower, can stand toe to toe, if not dominate, any other melee character out there) is unfounded. I suppose I am just scared of how powerful I perceive this piece to be.

Dosen't "move faster" stack, so he could move 10 and triple?
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 6:06:44 AM

juice man wrote:
jlbm347 wrote:

I am looking forward to seeing how he is played and I hope that my fear of him dominating the board (with access to board wide swap, can move 8 and triple attack, is a follower, can stand toe to toe, if not dominate, any other melee character out there) is unfounded. I suppose I am just scared of how powerful I perceive this piece to be.

Dosen't "move faster" stack, so he could move 10 and triple?

Yup. I can see where some might think he is overpowered. But he isn't. Being dice dependent on the majority of you damage is not a good thing. Mace can do some big damage on one hit, but you know what, how many are going to be waiting for that big hit for the Block/Defense. And again, there are a few figures that do really well against him. Mace just dies to Durge, JH. And here is a new reason I Saesee Tiin, JM is better than Shaak Ti. Vaapad Mastery looses to Indomitable/Armored Space Suit.
Yoto_Yoto
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 6:19:57 AM

Sithborg wrote:
His major damage output is highly dependent on rolling a 17 or higher. So 20% chance of doing more than 60.

Not so. Mace has a 67% chance of getting at least one crit, that's reliable enough for me. The majority of the time he's doing closer to 120 (given that the flurry is likely to hit as well). Sure, weird things may happen, but he's more reliable than you think. Statistical anomalies occur, but on average he wipes the floor with Lord Vader (a more expensive pure melee piece) 4 times out of 5.

17 sounds like a big number but you've got to remember he's rolling three to five dice a turn. It's counter-intuitive, but his damage output is higher than Lord Vader's.

We can disagree about subjective takes on who's more useful, but damage output is just a question of doing the math.
jak
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 6:48:40 AM

Blink who the kark is mace windu?Unsure
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 6:53:52 AM

I don't see a 67% chance of him critting in a turn. Unlike the Reserves, all his attacks are independent of each other, so it remains at a 20%, unless you are counting rerolls, which will burn his FP way too quickly. And depending on dice for your damage output is really dangerous. See: Boba BH "Cannon" squads, all hoping for that Disentegration. Sure, he will likely win vs Lord Vader, but I give that to Force Absorb more than Vaapad and Flurry. But I think other Vaders will fair much, much better. Is Mace a bad fig becuse Vader, Scourge, Anakin, SA, or Vader, Unleashed can wipe the floor with him?

And you can't super boost him without having a terribley low activation squad. GOWK, Yoda, GM, Gen. Skywalker all in the 50 pt range. He has decent damage potential if he crits. That is still only 20% per attack, or one in 5 will crit. When he does, he becomes DECENT for 65 pts. Seriously look at some of the Sith/Vaders in that point range. There is a reason a Save 16 is considered highly likely to be successful. By your reasoning, Virulent Poison will rarely work. Not what I would depend my entire squad on. Personally, I think the "duelist" figs give him a bit of an issue, high Def with Duelist, MOTF with Block, and a few others with Parry and Makashi.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 6:59:56 AM

Things are starting to get a bit personal. Cool them down please.
juice man
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 7:06:25 AM

I love it when people drag out probabilities. I used to understand the math, now, Sithborg's method is much easier.
20% chance to crit on this roll.
dreadtech
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 7:09:57 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Things are starting to get a bit personal. Cool them down please.

I agree

I am not a mod so cannot force members to play nice. Please though start a new thread on this topic, I am sure many others would also like a say on Mace. Yes this is the place to talk about the new set but not the place to have a slanging match.

Not interested in pointing fingers, please just start a new thread.
dreadtech
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 7:33:01 AM

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
I'm hoping with that vader (and his reserves) we might get a similar Leia for rebel troopers.

I was hoping the same for OR, Vong, NR, Sith, Mando.

Not sure why only the 4 largest factions tend to get these sort of SA'a
wannabe mexican
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 7:44:07 AM

I think Playtesting trumps mathmatical probibility. I would like to hear more from people who playtested, and whether they think he is broken.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 7:49:00 AM

dreadtech wrote:
AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
I'm hoping with that vader (and his reserves) we might get a similar Leia for rebel troopers.

Probably because they need work in other areas before something like this. The Immediate Reserves are not teir 1 strategies for the most part, and are mostly for fun.
confute
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 8:30:28 AM

Yoto your math is wrong, and it is not as simple as you describe. In statistics the probability of a yes/no event with n number of trials is governed by the probability function known as the binomial distribution.
This was not taught in my 8th grade math.

If people are interested, there are nice simple calculators online.
http://stattrek.com/Tables/Binomial.aspx

If you want to calculate Maces chance of one crit, out of three attacks the numbers come out to this
He has a 38.4% chance of exactly one crit
A 10.4% chance of more than one crit and a 51.2% chance of no crits.

If you have questions to the math theory, a concise review can be found on wikipedia or any stat site. Please refer to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution

Also please don't demean people who have a poorer understanding than you.
Yoto_Yoto
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 8:43:14 AM

I'm quite aware of the distribution math. You misread my post. I was referring to the chance of *at least* one crit, not of *exactly* one crit. That math is very simple for anyone to do, it's just multiplication.

(.8^3) = .512, the same as your accurately calculated 51.2% chance of no crits. I'm sorry if you don't like my tone, I was responding to a series of ad hominems that have since been removed by the moderator. I don't have a problem with people who don't know much math unless they're flaming me about math at the same time.

confute
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 8:49:06 AM

Ok Yoto, just wanted to point out it may not be that easy for people.
But lets get this thread back to what it should be about.

The new MACE is a BEAST! Already thinking up some rep squads. If only Rep had some type of activation control!
dreadtech
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 8:52:05 AM

Sithborg wrote:
dreadtech wrote:
AdmiralMotti89 wrote:

Probably because they need work in other areas before something like this. The Immediate Reserves are not teir 1 strategies for the most part, and are mostly for fun.

I know it's not tier 1, but figs should not only be considered if they are tier 1. plus i only play for fun in any case.

Now i hope no one misunderstands my post, but just in case i will add.

Not saying tier one figs should not be made, just that casual games should be given equal consideration.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 8:54:28 AM

confute wrote:
Ok Yoto, just wanted to point out it may not be that easy for people.
But lets get this thread back to what it should be about.

The new MACE is a BEAST! Already thinking up some rep squads. If only Rep had some type of activation control!

I think the reason Mace works, is because Republic DON'T have activation control. Otherwise he would be broken.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 9:34:13 AM

dreadtech wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
dreadtech wrote:
AdmiralMotti89 wrote:

I know it's not tier 1, but figs should not only be considered if they are tier 1. plus i only play for fun in any case.

Now i hope no one misunderstands my post, but just in case i will add.

Not saying tier one figs should not be made, just that casual games should be given equal consideration.

It's still an issue of priorities. Such abilities are pretty much less worthwhile than in other factions. Unless you start tossing around Immediate Droid to other factions, the lesser factions have less resources for such abilities. As much as I enjoyed what we got in DOTF, the OR, Sith, and Vong still need more help with their non-uniques.