RegisterDonateLogin

Many Bothans died to bring us this Milk...

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Renegades and Rogues (contains spoilers for V-set 2. Full set list now up) Options
jlbm347
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:43:59 PM
Groups: Member

I agree that one should not duel Mace, but even against power shooters he may run out of force points but he still has a lot of health and a solid defense. All that would need be done is move him next to that shooter or swap him if the shooter tries to run away and the shooter is dead. Pure and simple, he would have two rerolls and if he gets a 17 or better the other guy is almost instantly dead. Not to mention if there is a Chagrian Merc Commander a power shooter like Cad Bane is one shotted on a Critical.

I am looking forward to seeing how he is played and I hope that my fear of him dominating the board (with access to board wide swap, can move 8 and triple attack, is a follower, can stand toe to toe, if not dominate, any other melee character out there) is unfounded. I suppose I am just scared of how powerful I perceive this piece to be.
AdmiralMotti89
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:04:17 PM

I'm hoping with that vader (and his reserves) we might get a similar Leia for rebel troopers.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:26:14 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jlbm347 wrote:
I agree that one should not duel Mace, but even against power shooters he may run out of force points but he still has a lot of health and a solid defense. All that would need be done is move him next to that shooter or swap him if the shooter tries to run away and the shooter is dead. Pure and simple, he would have two rerolls and if he gets a 17 or better the other guy is almost instantly dead. Not to mention if there is a Chagrian Merc Commander a power shooter like Cad Bane is one shotted on a Critical.

I am looking forward to seeing how he is played and I hope that my fear of him dominating the board (with access to board wide swap, can move 8 and triple attack, is a follower, can stand toe to toe, if not dominate, any other melee character out there) is unfounded. I suppose I am just scared of how powerful I perceive this piece to be.

All very good points. If dice rolls are hot, the enemy is toast in short order. Parry, Djem So, Force Alter, and anything that can activate an enemy will be valuable when facing this guy.
Darth_Sal
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:57:34 PM

swinefeld wrote:

BMF, for sure. Cool

I wouldn't try to steal his wallet...
jedispyder
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:40:45 PM

His lack of excellent defensive abilities outside of his Defense and Reflect are what caused him to be moderately cost. Trust me, he was extensively playtested and actually went through a couple of abilities that didn't make it on the final version.
dreadtech
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:46:59 PM

Mace looks nice, I will update post one late tonight.

65 points seems Ok to me. Melee characters for some time IMO been overcosted so am happy with 65.

But as with any new character I will need to play him to see how he works.
dreadtech
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:58:18 PM

Question, does the new Mace get Flurry on a 17+ then?

If so I kinda have to agree he is a little cheap. Still otherwise I agree this is what Mace should have been all along. But a Poss 200+ Damage a round.

OK he wont get that off often and for the most part the one he is attacking wont be a high cost character. Still a lot of damage potential in him.

I just hope we get a equivalent Old Republic beatstick.
jedispyder
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:30:07 PM

Flurry occurs whenever you make a critical hit and VSM loosens up the definition of a critical hit. Thus, yes, Flurry will work off of VSM.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:02:07 PM

I tried building a Chargrian Merc. Commander into a squad but every time I felt like those were points that could be spent better elsewhere. He wasn't worth the risk. My opponent, Sashlon had a chargrian thuogh.

Mace is a beast, but is not unstoppable. The way to beat him is to shoot him to death, or lightning him, like Palpatine did.

Him being a follower means what? That he can benefit from GOWK, General Skywalker and Flobi? That is over half your squad gone each time, on only two minis. I guess Mace, Flobi and Rex would be a decent combo, but then there is literally only room left for uggies and Mas, maybe Doombot.
cicrush13
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:16:31 PM

I agree that trying to put a Chargrian in there is a very tight squeeze on your point total.

Since he is a follower he can be pretty nasty. Should be a fun piece to try out. It will be difficult (IMO) to get a great squad out of this character. But it will be nice to have another piece that can stop LSA from Mara, BigGrin
jlbm347
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:48:23 PM

wannabe mexican wrote:
I tried building a Chargrian Merc. Commander into a squad but every time I felt like those were points that could be spent better elsewhere. He wasn't worth the risk. My opponent, Sashlon had a chargrian thuogh.

Mace is a beast, but is not unstoppable. The way to beat him is to shoot him to death, or lightning him, like Palpatine did.

Him being a follower means what? That he can benefit from GOWK, General Skywalker and Flobi? That is over half your squad gone each time, on only two minis. I guess Mace, Flobi and Rex would be a decent combo, but then there is literally only room left for uggies and Mas, maybe Doombot.

It is not uncommon to make up half a squad with two pieces, the Black and Blue combos normally have one of the 70+ Vaders and a 30+ Thrawn
Sashlon
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:55:14 PM

jlbm347 wrote:

It is not uncommon to make up half a squad with two pieces, the Black and Blue combos normally have one of the 70+ Vaders and a 30+ Thrawn

That's true, but it's been quite some time since one of those squads was considered top dog, because they're so easy to pull apart, one hit and they're done.

Mace is awesome and his flavour is right on target. He's far from unbeatable though. Shooters will be his downfall.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:00:14 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I want to try him with Commander Ahsoka. Smile
cicrush13
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:47:24 PM

Commander Ahsoka may see some more play now.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 12:43:41 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I see him as a more offensive version of Loda. GMA Triple vs Twin. Absorb vs Defense. Higher stats. Renewal 2/MOTF 2 vs Renewal 3/MOTF 3.

He is great vs most Melee threats, with a respectable defense vs shooters. Vong still tear him a new one, though. And he may be a good reason to break out the Indomitable/Armored Space Suit figs. Flurry will still work on a 20, but it neutralizes most of the crits. He is good, strong, and highly playable (something we needed for a Mace, especially with the disapointment that was MOTF).
Lily_Wan
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 2:02:43 AM

Will Winter's Protective +20 work for Thrackan Sal-Solo?
Weeks
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 3:16:54 AM

Thing to remember is mace with normal rolls only does 60 by himself. With 1 crit he does 100. Mara and lord vader need no help to do 120 from 6 away. When mace has good rolls he will absolutely run over any other melee piece. When he doesn't get the rolls he is overcosted. Just play with your d20 that rolls 17s and higher :)
saber1
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 4:07:09 AM

That Mace is very deadly. My only critique is that I would prefer the better version of Reflect.
Yoto_Yoto
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 4:20:53 AM

This Mace has more hit points, a better defense, better defensive powers, and more average damage output (spending 0 force points) than Lord Vader (spending 2 force points). He's also a shade cheaper.

That's before you take any consideration of having twice as many force points as Lord Vader. He's noticeably better than a very competitive piece that is more expensive than he is. He's too powerful at this cost, it would be nice to have a BMF Mace, but he should be looking at more like 75 points.

brennan
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 4:25:48 AM

OK so I playtested Mace against myself and a friend and these were my results:

1 on 1 against various sith beatsticks: He killed all of them exceptGMLS, Kun, Bane, Plagueis, RevanDL, and Ulic.... The lesson here is hurt him with your most powerful Force move asap, and then save your FPs for Lightsaber saves....

100 pt squads: He doesnt really fit, its the same as 1 on 1 really except you can give him a couple bonuses....

150 pt: This is when he starts to get scary. You can add Rex or Flobi or Chag merc comm. and then your toast unless you happen to have one of the aforementioned beatsticks or some cloaked shooters or somesuch

200pt: I actually didnt find him as effective here as with 150, mostly bc it just gives the opponent more pieces to counter Mace with. Exar Kun FS is a good choice here as well as Reeiken, Sora, and Jaina SOTJ.

My Play report:

200pts Sith vs Republic

Sith: Revan DL, Maul SA, Bandon, Dark Jedi Assassin x2, holosid, mousies x3, Uggnaught demolitionist.

Republic: Mace, Rex, Chag merc comm., Mas, Clone trooper with repeat blaster x3, Mousies x3, uggnauhgt demo.

PLayed in Rancor pit

well basically I had had a chance to warm up against windu so I knew what to do against him....my friend had yet to use the new windu so I had somewhat of an advantage but anyways....I set up first and went first and basically the idea was to snipe with thedark jedis and then keep them in a group and then advance with Revan Maul and bandon.
I did this and had 1 mouse killed and 1 dark jedi. I killed some of his mice, an uggie and a 2 clone troopers by the time we closed to melee. Mace based Revan and dela out a would be 180 dm, which I reduced to 80. so I then attacked with Revan, doing 40 dm, and then swapping for Maul who dealt out 80dm so Mace had 30 left. Then he proceeded to blast the crap out of Bandon. thus eliminating him. The next round went along and I decided to go first. Mual then did a whole lotta sucking and only 20dm, and a Dark Jedi had to kill a clone that would have killed Revan on its turn. So then Mace utterly destroyed Maul, a dark jedi. Chagrian Merc Commander killed a mose. So now I had Revan and a uggie left. I attacked with Revan, dealt a measly 20 dm and swapped with my uggie.... the ughnauhgt made one attack just for the heck of it, nowing his fate was sealed....but WAIT HE COULD REROLL WITH A FORCE POINT big deal....actually yes....and he rolled a 20.....greatest non-real game.....EVER....I then mopped up what remained of his army and seized the day! (A close match though