RegisterDonateLogin

Finds your lack of faith disturbing.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Renegades and Rogues (contains spoilers for V-set 2. Full set list now up) Options
wannabe mexican
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 4:21:43 AM
Groups: Member

Boris wrote:

Thanks. DotF was about balancing the factions. R&R is about balancing the lesser pieces, making them a part of the game again - as much as possible, because let's face it: some pieces will never be playable no matter what we do (here's looking at you, Arcona Smuggler). VSet 3, in my estimation, will be about moving the game forward as a whole. I look for VSet 3 to focus more on the Jedi/Force users, to bring them into the game in their rightful place.

May I suggest the name "What Masters of the Force should have been"?
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:17:16 AM

I am just hoping a piece like this comes out for the separatists, those commando droids could use shields and rapport 5 to make them not junk. Plus they even used ray shields in the citadel episodes.
Zombie_Jawa
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:09:18 AM

To clarify (and I'll be brief because I could go into lengths), my issue with the DOTF is that what the community did instead of simply banning or limiting problamatic figures like the Lancer Droid, Thrawn, Dodonna, Rieeken and so on, to bring that game back to a sense of normalcy again, you came up with CE's like "allies gain Ambush' and Juiced already good characters, like with Atris. Why should everything have to measure up to what amounts to a dozen characters out of 800+

ZJ
Echo24
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:38:03 AM

Zombie_Jawa wrote:
To clarify (and I'll be brief because I could go into lengths), my issue with the DOTF is that what the community did instead of simply banning or limiting problamatic figures like the Lancer Droid, Thrawn, Dodonna, Rieeken and so on, to bring that game back to a sense of normalcy again, you came up with CE's like "allies gain Ambush' and Juiced already good characters, like with Atris. Why should everything have to measure up to what amounts to a dozen characters out of 800+

ZJ

Banning is a bad idea, and there probably won't ever be another banned piece in SWM. GOWK is the only figure who ever has been banned, and after the SSM change there is currently no banned figure in the game, and I am glad for that (and know that opinion is shared). Banning a figure because it's too good doesn't do anything; something else rises to the top. The only time a figure should ever be banned is if the game gets to the point that to be competitive you HAVE to either play that piece or a whole squad to counter that one piece, like with GOWK. Clearly Lancer Droids, Thrawn, Dodonna, and Rieekan inherently don't fit that description, because they're from 3 different factions. You can play Lancer OR Thrawn OR Dodonna/Rieekan (plus lots of other options). That's a healthy game.

You really think "Allies gain Ambush" is too strong? And what "already good" characters did Atris boost without boosting the not-so-good characters? Echani Handmaidens? Are you really making the argument that Handmaidens were "already good"? Take a look at high level tournament results for the past couple of years, as well as recent events. Has Revanchist won anything because he's so overpowered? Were Handmaidens good before and now awesome? No to both.

Sorry, but I don't see any part of your argument that really holds water. Maybe you should go into lengths regarding it, because I'm just not getting the brief version.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:42:50 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Zombie_Jawa wrote:

ZJ

The problem with bannings, is that there will never be a consensus on where to stop. Okay, ban Lancer, Thrawn, Dodonna, Rieekan, but why stop there. Ban Greivious, DAC, Whorm, San, Gha Nackt, Mouse Droid, Mas Amedda, Boba, BH, Muun Tactics Broker, General Wedge, Dash, Rex, Yobuck, and so on and so on, till you are left with a pitiful selection of figures that were either made poorly or just were left behind in the evolution of the game. And I wouldn't call the Echani an already good figure.
dreadtech
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:22:39 AM

"And I wouldn't call the Echani an already good figure. "

I would, a character with 4 attacks that can easily have both attack value and damage boosted is certainly not a bad character.

Not that I have a problem with Atris in any way, but i cannot pretend the Echani was a good mini beforehand.

But going back to banning minis, there I have to agree with you for well all the reasons you put in your post.
Weeks
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 1:52:09 PM

Zombie_Jawa wrote:

ZJ

Just learn to play better. That's the exact response I tell people that complain about certain strong combos. Don't like lancer? Play freaking override.

Don't like gowk? Play melee

Don't like atris? Play any piece that can do 40 damage on it's turn. (there's quite a few).

Complaining about this does nothing. Thinking out problems and learning to play better does. I'd like to hear in depth why atris and handmaidens are so good, cause must have been asleep or something.
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:47:08 PM

I must echo the sentiments of the previous few posters. If you ban something, then something else just rises to the top and everyone wants the new thing banned and before you know it we all have squads of ewoks and gran raiders and we are just playing dice rolling with no strategy involved. For every really good piece/squad there is equally good way to counter it and defeat it.

For instance Lancer (my pet squad) has many bad matchups. Bombs (nom bombs, kel-dors, poggle bombs, etc) can give it major problems. Riposte, djem-so, etc all give it major problems as well. The squad cannot beat a GMLS squad (which I am glad no one plays). I have just been fortunate that the squads that beat it haven't been prevelent in the meta recently. You have to realize that some squads will always beat certain other squads no matter what (IE lancer always beats eric's droids except maybe not his new version) and that if your local meta has those problems then you may have to switch to a different squad that isn't an autoloss.

BTW Weeks override is not the answer to beating lancer. It just means I have to go the long way:)
wannabe mexican
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:02:20 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
I must echo the sentiments of the previous few posters. If you ban something, then something else just rises to the top and everyone wants the new thing banned and before you know it we all have squads of ewoks and gran raiders and we are just playing dice rolling with no strategy involved. For every really good piece/squad there is equally good way to counter it and defeat it.

For instance Lancer (my pet squad) has many bad matchups. Bombs (nom bombs, kel-dors, poggle bombs, etc) can give it major problems. Riposte, djem-so, etc all give it major problems as well. The squad cannot beat a GMLS squad (which I am glad no one plays). I have just been fortunate that the squads that beat it haven't been prevelent in the meta recently. You have to realize that some squads will always beat certain other squads no matter what (IE lancer always beats eric's droids except maybe not his new version) and that if your local meta has those problems then you may have to switch to a different squad that isn't an autoloss.

BTW Weeks override is not the answer to beating lancer. It just means I have to go the long way:)

Ah but sometimes making you go the long way is enough to prepare something to kill your lancer.

And also, I would echo the comments of the others. I had the option of going to a tournament near me, but chose not to because they are banning a bunch of figures. And I'm thinking, how can you find out who the best player in the area is if no one has to worry about initiative control, lancers, mas and doombot?

And while you may have just brought the minor factions into this tournament, you have basically shut the republic out, and hamstringed the imperials. So yeah, banning isn't really a good idea.

Also, one important thing, that I think some people forget, is that you don't HAVE to use DotF. It is not like Dean Miller and the others involved in creating the set have publicly announced that any minis players who dont accept DotF will be rounded up and mysteriously disappear. If people don't like the V-set then don't use it. Simple as.
countrydude82487
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:37:38 PM

i agree with everything that has been said above. With my group we dont ban any figures that are not banned already (which currently is none). we do have alot of house rules but we intentionally dont ban anything. Now we do have sort of a standing agreement in casual play games that we dont play certain pieces like rieekan, DOdanna, and others of their caliber. If we are playing competitive matches than anything goes, but for casual we try to keep it fun. I have played before where alot of pieces were banned and it makes the game more strict and less fun. Actually Not banning figures without great reasoning is one of the reasons i started playing star wars minis(that and my love for star wars). I previously played magic the gathering and a few other card games that slowly cycle out cards and sets . I like the fact that i can still play peices from rebel storm, clone strike and the other older sets. THey may not necessarily be competitive, but its still fun and nice to have the option.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:46:58 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

OK, let's get back to discussing Renegades and Rogues now.

Start a new thread if you want to continue these other discussions. Thanks BlooMilk
cicrush13
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:39:52 AM

Celeste Morne is def a figure on my watch list. She was absolutely amazing in the comics and this could make playing rakghouls much more fun Laugh
jak
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:42:15 AM

cicrush13 wrote:
Celeste Morne is def a figure on my watch list. She was absolutely amazing in the comics and this could make playing rakghouls much more fun Laugh

+1ThumbsUp BlooMilk
Darthbane53
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:17:54 AM

cicrush13 wrote:

I loved her in the 4 legacy comics I read! I really hope shes good even with out rackghouls, because I have an astounding 0....
cicrush13
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:23:30 PM

Darthbane53 wrote:
cicrush13 wrote:

I loved her in the 4 legacy comics I read! I really hope shes good even with out rackghouls, because I have an astounding 0....

You do know that is a 12 comic story starting in KOTOR and ends in Legacy right?

It's called Vector...I had to buy them all since I love the story that much.
Deus Sol
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:25:56 AM

Darthbane53 wrote:
I really hope shes good even with out rackghouls, because I have an astounding 0....

You have 0!?!? Scared ... are you not counting the pink ones?
shatterpoint7
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:38:03 AM

does anyone else think weir's "lets give the already so awesome storm commandoes they go for $20" shields 2 a bad idea? ThumbDown
jedispyder
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:45:58 AM

shatterpoint7 wrote:
does anyone else think weir's "lets give the already so awesome storm commandoes they go for $20" shields 2 a bad idea? ThumbDown

Some people definitely don't like it. Personally, I'm not a big fan of it but I understand why it happened. The designers have explained, it helps to make them viable against pieces like the Lancer and YoBuck. They only have 40 HP so they go down very easy against those 2, with Shields 2 it helps them last a little longer.

And do they really go for $20? When they first came out I scored about 5 of them on eBay for $6. I think I'm at a total of 8 or 10 Storm Commandos. And while they are awesome, do they really get much play? No, not really.
Darthbane53
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:47:42 AM

Deus Sol wrote:
Darthbane53 wrote:
I really hope shes good even with out rackghouls, because I have an astounding 0....

You have 0!?!? Scared ... are you not counting the pink ones?

Nope lol, I stoped playing during Legacy's release and came back for the release of DOTF only bought 3 boosters (IE, JA and CW I think) between thoes like 7 sets, pitiful, I know, but a teens money doesnt stretch to far also the only stuff I have got from thoes sets are from trades. Yes I know about the vector series, Just need to get ahold of the first 8 issues.
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 12:36:59 PM

shatterpoint7 wrote:

Well for one thing, the fact that Storm Commandos go for $20 (and you can definitely get them cheaper than that btw, but you're right that they are on the expensive side) isn't because they're good pieces; it's because they are a non-unique Rare from an older set. You know what else goes for $20? Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled. Yeeeeeeah....

Secondly, do you really think that giving them Shields 2 makes them too good? Honestly, it just makes them playable, because they currently aren't. Bring a Storm Commando squad to a competitive tournament (like a Regional or GenCon) and you probably won't do very well. Weir will make them playable, but probably still isn't enough to make them top-tier.